Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i'd love it if tipping was banned and living wages (real actual ones pegged to local food and housing costs) were required

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

my grandmother was a DICK to "the help". she was from cape cod and had a serious case of the superior aristocratic attitude

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Sagebrush posted:

no, you need therapy for your guilt complex.

act like the service worker is a human being providing you a service and tip well, and you have nothing to feel guilty about.

i do treat them as a human being. which is why i recognize that them providing me a service they didn't want to but have to is hosed up

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/Atrios/status/1373627708371050497

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

carry on then posted:

i do treat them as a human being. which is why i recognize that them providing me a service they didn't want to but have to is hosed up

what service is that, exactly? what are you asking them to do?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

one surreal experience was getting chased down half a block from the restaurant because the server thought the tip was money I'd accidentally left on the table [it was only like HKD$10 which is like a buck fifty us] and I was too jetlagged to understand what was happening just standing on a busy kowloon sidewalk like "my waiter just gave me ten dollars, but why?"

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Sagebrush posted:

what service is that, exactly? what are you asking them to do?

preparing food, but also applies to any time i have to stay in a hotel and they have to make my bed etc

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

you can opt out of daily room cleaning at a lot of hotels now, they'll usually kick you like $10 in minibar credit [enough to buy 2/3 of a bag of stale whoppers]

also you can leave a gratuity specifically for housekeeping if you want

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
it'd be nice if the service industry didn't exist because we created robots to do all menial labor but i don't feel guilty when i go out to eat. that said, i haven't been out to eat in over a year and i don't really miss it.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
the thing i miss about dinner out with friends is the friends tbh

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/jacob__posts/status/1372973532141948930

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

kitten emergency posted:

the thing i miss about dinner out with friends is the friends tbh

Just stop having friends

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah if there's an option to do so i will skip the housekeeping at hotels too. idk if there are laws about how often they have to clean the rooms if it's the same guest, but every day is clearly wasteful. i can make my own bed.

carry on then posted:

preparing food, but also applies to any time i have to stay in a hotel and they have to make my bed etc

lots of chefs enjoy making food for people who appreciate it. tell the waiter that the food is awesome and to give your compliments to the chef. you will make his/her day and don't have to feel guilty any more.

Apr 7, 2003

When I stay at hotels I poo poo the bed every morning to ensure that my sheets are changed.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

qirex posted:

the bar predates the gym, which was specifically built to have those showoff windows onto market and anyone who wasn't comfortable getting cruised in a gym [or checked out from across the street] generally wouldn't be in there in the first place

ah, gotcha. that's different then.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

i have definitely tried to skip housekeeping but one time they wound up calling the room saying if they didn't do turndown management would be getting involved.

sucks.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Just stop having friends

this guy gets it

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

carry on then posted:

i have definitely tried to skip housekeeping but one time they wound up calling the room saying if they didn't do turndown management would be getting involved.

sucks.
I will never understand turndown, that's the performative servant poo poo that makes no sense to me

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

whenever we stay in hotels we pick up before we leave so that the room cleaners only have to do the bare minimum of things they'd do no matter what, like reline the trash cans, change the sheets, etc.

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's not like the Daily Show stopped being lazy in this exact way; they just didn't always pick the wrong side.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

President Beep posted:

ah, gotcha. that's different then.

also lol you thought a gym in the castro is full of dudebros.

i mean, it is, but not that type

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

also lol you thought a gym in the castro is full of dudebros.

i mean, it is, but not that type

i don't really know anything about the bay area aside from what i leanred watching full house.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the castro is the OG gay district with a giant rainbow flag on a hundred foot flagpole.

though these days like everything else in sf all the original residents are getting gentrified away. so yeah there probably are a bunch of dudebros there now, or at least gay techbros :/

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

As of 2015 or so the rental prices were homogenizing the Castro pretty hard. I haven't payed attention since then but I doubt anything's materially changed.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

polk gulch is the og gay neighborhood, the first pride parade went down larkin street

there's now exactly one gay bar left in the whole neighborhood

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
my best friend is a housekeeper at a hotel and she gives me unopened bottles of booze she finds lol

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

SmokaDustbowl posted:

my best friend is a housekeeper at a hotel and she gives me unopened bottles of booze she finds lol

in colorado they started putting "leave your unwanted weed here, do not try to board a plane with it" containers in hotels, I bet that's a nice fringe benefit for the staff [I'm joking, they probably get drug tested twice a week]

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
imagine feeling bad for paying someone to do a thing. lmfao

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

qirex posted:

polk gulch is the og gay neighborhood, the first pride parade went down larkin street

there's now exactly one gay bar left in the whole neighborhood

stl has gone through about four gay neighborhoods in the last fifty years.

the current one was being slowly ground out despite the rainbow accoutrements because of gentrification and gay bars are not as much of a things as they once were.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

DELETE CASCADE posted:

imagine feeling bad for paying someone to do a thing. lmfao
it feels bad to pay for a thing when you know the person doing it isn't going to get any of the money

there was an expose on the $10 manicure places in new york and they p much fully traffic their workers, indenture them for the cost of travel, steal all their tips, lock them in flophouses and stuff

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

carry on then posted:

sucks.

I know a lot of places required it at least every three days thanks to the las vegas shooting

lol remember when a chud shot 500 people killing like 90 and it was just "well we don't know how these things happen"

just like the christmas day bombing

and soon to be the atlanta murders

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

qirex posted:

yeah I'm not on board the tori "1/3 of americans are murderous chuds kept only in check by the continuous granting of their caveman power fantasies by the heroic servers at the tilted kilt" bandwagon but it does feel good when things work the way you expect them to, like when someone behavies in a way that's congruous with your preexisting stereotypes

the bar predates the gym, which was specifically built to have those showoff windows onto market and anyone who wasn't comfortable getting cruised in a gym [or checked out from across the street] generally wouldn't be in there in the first place

also it’s the castro; i mean

edit: beaten super hard

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Mar 22, 2021

Apr 7, 2003

Misread that as "Pork Gulch"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

lol remember when a chud shot 500 people killing like 90 and it was just "well we don't know how these things happen"
even I was impressed how fast that one got memory holed

Apr 7, 2003

There was a lot of talk about his motives and the minute it came out that he was just another rich white alienated conservative they buried the poo poo out of the story lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
he was having a bad day

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

these things just happen, on the other hand it's vitally important we use unmarked federal stormninjas to black bag folks spraypainting on a courhouse

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Misread that as "Pork Gulch"

pork gulch is chinatown at 7am pig truck time

qirex fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 22, 2021

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

'No Way To Prevent This,' Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU