Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Jetto Jagga posted:

Billy Meier's Pleiadeans are classic "Nordic" type aliens, tall blond and good looking. He did say that the locks of hair under her ears were actually extended earlobes in his blurry darkened version, proving she couldn't be human. Guy's got a legit cult compound in Switzerland to this day so somebody thinks he's making sense.

I mean, the last few years have shown that anything, no matter how fake or transparently lovely, can inspire a literal cult following.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The "primate DNA" they allegedly discovered was found using a machine that scans the area (with a range of several hundred metres) and displays the DNA of all the creatures as a graphic on a screen in real time. Of course even though this scanner is immediately successful and unbelievably useful they only ever use it once, then immediately go back to wandering around the woods with lovely night vision cameras for the rest of the season.

I would imagine the civilian and military applications of such a device would be limitless and would make you a billionaire.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jetto Jagga posted:

Oh man don't forget his time travel photographs!

Taken by photographing an illustration by the famous paleoartist Zdenek Burian:

And his Pleiadian babes that he photographed off the Dean Martin show:

When someone pointed out how dumb these pictures were Meier said the CIA obviously stole his real photos and replaced them with these obvious fakes. When someone else pointed out how some of his Beamships were built out of a specific brand of garbage can Meier said that the Pleiadans had attempted to transmit Beamship schematics to our primitive minds telepathically but the best we got was a garbled message that some industrial designers turned into garbage cans. :allears:

People are still doing pretty much the same thing to this day. This mammoth footage was doing the rounds on Youtube back in 2013:

quote:

REAL Woolly MAMMOTH sighting footage caught on tape! (Yakutsk city, Sakha Republic, Siberia 1943)

After the conclusion of the WW2 Battle of Stalingrad, Nazi Party member and official photographer for the NSDAP, Holger Hildebrand, was captured by the Red Army at the Battle of Stalingrad. He and thousands of other Wehrmacht soldiers were later sent on a death march towards Siberia; this mammoth footage is understood to have been taken during that journey. (Hildebrand is believed to have died a prisoner of war at a Soviet forced labor camp in late 1945. His Granddaughter later came into possession of the footage when his belongings were repatriated to Germany from Russia decades after his death.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHcm6lZ_qAQ

.... which kicked off a bunch of dumb arguments. Someone eventually tracked down the actual source, the BBC 'Walking With Beasts' TV series (a spinoff of the super popular Walking With Dinosaurs) and they just zoomed in on one mammoth, flipped the image and manipulated it to look like old timey grainy B&W film. The original clip is at 0:48 in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fpC-ti9_4U&t=48s

Related, there was another Youtube mammoth hoax in 2012 which also set off a bunch of weird arguments ("It's not a mammoth, it's a brown bear with a salmon in its mouth!") was also easily debunked when someone found the original footage that the hoaxer had manipulated:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FosctR7gKEQ

feedmyleg posted:

Purchased. That sounds way up my alley.

:same:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

The gently caress? He didn't even try! That first photo is just some lady it doesn't look alien at all. He could have at least drawn a third eye on her or something.

edit:

Seriously, the first picture is just some blonde lady and the real version is some blonde lady in a different light. This is the laziest fake alien scam I've ever seen. It's actually making me a little pissed off he thought anyone would be dumb enough to fall for that. He just slightly darken a regular picture of a completely normal person!

Well someone is clearly jealous that Billy Meier got to hang out with super sexy alien babes. :smug:

A whole lot of these "aliens wanted to by my friend" people are obviously hoaxers and scam artists but there's also a lot of "bigfoot habituators/communicators" and similar people who seem to genuinely believe that a paranormal creature has chosen to communicate with them because they're ******special****** which sounds closer to psychotic depression or prodromal schizophrenia than anything else. It's pretty much a real world version of the "A Boy And His [X]" literary genre where a kid is befriended by a special creature who is the only one who can recognise how wonderful and amazing he really is and they have special adventures together and in the end he wins the day and shows the entire town that they were wrong about him and he was the real hero all along.

These people are an obvious example:

Grammarchist posted:

I completely forgot about that "Sasquatch Speaks" documentary that got posted in the Vantasm thread last year. Psychic, alien, inter-dimensional Sasquatches imparting wisdom to humanity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6iduWmgKFo&t=4456s

Here's another guy who's not quite as kooky as the previous example but still too kooky for the "serious" bigfoot hunters and he's real angry about it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REJiNgeiivE
At one point he was dragging his kids out to the "secret location" he'd discovered in the forest every weekend so they could just sit there so the bigfoots would get acclimatized to their presence and want to be their friends.
Here's an article which explores his mindset a little further: https://mynorthwest.com/80577/living-with-bigfoot/

There's also a bunch of people who believe that bigfoot leaves special coded messages meant just for them such as braiding their horses' manes and leaving sticks in specific patterns on the ground. They've even published books about it:

One of the common threads you often see in these stories about bigfoot habituators is that they become super best buds with bigfoots who visit them all the time and hang out but they choose not to take photos of them for evidence because that would be disrespectful and break the trust they've established.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Just found this thread and I was struck by the Fresno Nightstalkers: https://cryptidz.fandom.com/wiki/Fresno_Nightcrawler

They're an interesting cryptid. There's only a handful of reports, their appearance is striking to say the least, there's no simple case for misidentification. A TV team tried to replicate the footage and failed. Quick googling doesn't reveal any debunking. So what is that, or how was it done?

There's some talk of someone duplicating the footage by digitally editing and effects but a much simpler explanation is stuck away deep in the google results:

https://youtu.be/xvIPNYTzGuA

In summary: run a fishing line across the scene, attach pyjama pants to them, then film them being pulled along in poor light. Almost absurdly simple and it explains the weird stilted walk of the cryptids.

Similarly, love to know how that Mexican dwarf footage was done.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Here's a great twitter thread about one of the most famous photos of Nessie ever created - it turns out it's part of a larger set but most of them were lost and only these two remain. These photos have appeared in countless cryptozoology books and TV shows and websites and the photographer is credited as Anthony Shiels, which is a name that will no doubt pop up in this thread a few more times. Ol' Doc Shiels has some crazy form, bless his heart.

Note also that there's a white object visible at the base of Nessie's neck in both photos, that becomes super relevant later in the thread for a surprising reason.

https://twitter.com/TetZoo/status/1279732505285984257

nonathlon posted:

There's some talk of someone duplicating the footage by digitally editing and effects but a much simpler explanation is stuck away deep in the google results:

In summary: run a fishing line across the scene, attach pyjama pants to them, then film them being pulled along in poor light. Almost absurdly simple and it explains the weird stilted walk of the cryptids.

Parabreakdown does some great stuff

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 00:34 on Mar 22, 2021

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
Darren Naish had done some top stuff to do with marine life and sea monsters.

Which brings to mind another piece of Nessie "evidence", the so-called Surgeons Photo:
https://www.donttakepictures.com/dtp-blog/2017/4/19/the-loch-ness-monster-turns-83-the-story-of-the-surgeons-photograph

Which doesn't seem very impressive but caused a stir at the time and a lot was put on the reliability and impeccability of the witness. Belatedly a wider crop of the image became available, making the picture look a lot like that of a model and the reliable witness less so.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

nonathlon posted:

Just found this thread and I was struck by the Fresno Nightstalkers: https://cryptidz.fandom.com/wiki/Fresno_Nightcrawler

They're an interesting cryptid. There's only a handful of reports, their appearance is striking to say the least, there's no simple case for misidentification. A TV team tried to replicate the footage and failed. Quick googling doesn't reveal any debunking. So what is that, or how was it done?

Similarly, love to know how that Mexican dwarf footage was done.

After watching it a few times I am almost positive the original is not a puppet or anything like that video suggests. I think it's someone walking in a white cloak. If you look at the top it looks like a hood. Once you see that the rest of it falls into place and it looks like someone walking around drunk with a bit of a stumbling cadence, or maybe the video is just sped up a bit. Everything but the cloak is obstructed because of the bad quality of the video. You can also see the shadow pretty clearly in part of it and there aren't two legs or anything, it's just one form.

Barring it being an intentional hoax, my guess is that it was someone walking home from a costume party or the neighborhood goth kid that just happened to look extra spooky because that guy was still using vhs in 2010 lol.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

veni veni veni posted:

After watching it a few times I am almost positive the original is not a puppet or anything like that video suggests. I think it's someone walking in a white cloak. If you look at the top it looks like a hood. Once you see that the rest of it falls into place and it looks like someone walking around drunk with a bit of a stumbling cadence, or maybe the video is just sped up a bit. Everything but the cloak is obstructed because of the bad quality of the video. You can also see the shadow pretty clearly in part of it and there aren't two legs or anything, it's just one form.

Barring it being an intentional hoax, my guess is that it was someone walking home from a costume party or the neighborhood goth kid that just happened to look extra spooky because that guy was still using vhs in 2010 lol.

There's two "nightcrawlers" that cross over the yard in the 2007 Fresno video, most people concentrate on the more impressive one (timestamped around 12:46 in the security footage) and leave out the lovely first at 12:42 because it doesn't really 'walk' properly and just glides across the yard like Jamiroquai. They're each about 4 feet tall, and somewhat coincidentally the small yard they cross is surround by a metal picket fence and if you strung a wire off it it'd hang at pretty much exactly 4 feet off the ground ......

The footage first gained wide popularity on the 2010 TV show Fact or Faked: Paranormal Files, they did a breakdown of it and tried to debunk it with a kid around the same height and some really lovely puppets and didn't really draw any conclusion either way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwvkCeYtXGQ&t=238s

The original footage is so grainy and degraded because the dude set up a security camera to film his front yard because he suspected there were prowlers and when he saw the footage he rewound the VCR and taped the footage off the TV screen with a camcorder, and because the security system records over the VHS tapes the original copy was lost. Of course the versions we see online has passed through at least another round of conversion/degradation, but people still try to "enhance" it to prove that there weren't any wires or anything.

There's also a second video which show two "nightcrawlers" walking along a path at Yosemite National Park in 2011:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a1nDOPPXLM&t=27s

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
One of the early ones is maybe someone in a sheet, but the quality is so low that who knows. The later ones are more impressive and look like the legs are swinging from all the way up. It's that walking that looks puppet-like to me, as if it's not load bearing and the feet are being placed into position. That's what the reproduction captures.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

The first video looks like a sheeted person with the corners tied to their ankles. I just love the second one though. They are very clearly puppets, not just because of how the legs aren't bearing any weight but also because there is an undeniable sense of fun and entertainment coming from them that can only be explained by an association to the puppet shows we've all seen on television. The could totally be thirty second dance break between Sesame Street skits.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
In that second video they move a LOT like marionettes. It looks like how everyone walked in Thunderbirds.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
It is a fun prank. Like, you can hear the creator thinking, what will people make of THIS ...

It's weird the cryptids and conspiracies that take off and capture people's imagination. I remember reading the first Black Eyed Children report back in the day and now they have their own Wikipedia page, despite it all being from one guys tall tale:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black-eyed_children

On the other hand, I've heard that UFOsp sightings are now badly out of fashion.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i love the fresno nighcrawlers but that video really should have used 'legs' by zz top

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

nonathlon posted:

It's weird the cryptids and conspiracies that take off and capture people's imagination. I remember reading the first Black Eyed Children report back in the day and now they have their own Wikipedia page, despite it all being from one guys tall tale:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black-eyed_children

This was a front page tabloid story dated Oct 3rd, 2014 in the UK (it’s my photo). Said tabloid doesn’t usually go for the big paranormal headline, so clearly it’s true.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Jetto Jagga posted:

Warren Smith writes about Fawcett in his Lost Cities of the Ancients - Unearthed!, possibly his magnum opus as it comes in at near 400 pages and recycles reams of content from his prior Zebra specials including UFOs all over South America, the vicious hairy dwarfs of Venezuela, Incan tunnels to Hollow Earth and more, along with some endless chapters on lost cities which is where Fawcett comes in with the ape man combo, accompanied by de Loys and his weird ape hoax for race science.

Ha, and now I see where Smith jacked his info from, out of Ivan T. Sanderson's "THINGS" from 1967! Who here said it always comes back to him?

(also enjoy Sanderson trying to crowbar Bigfoot into the wendigo legend, of all things)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Trey the Explainer has some great vids on something I am fascinated by, globsters. Basically weird carcasses that washed up on shore. People seeing the corpse of a known whale or shark decomposed so it now looks like a dinosaur or something else mysterious. Or the junk (that's the thing inside of a sperm whales head that produces the sperm like liquid that givers them their name). The junk looks a lot like a octopus with its arms cut off, so it spurred "giant octopus" ideas. Not saying there can't be giant octopi but they haven't washed up on shore.

I watched the latest Quinton Reviews video about the channel Chills, where he talks about how the channel would put up top 15 videos taking all spooky videos and pictures and stories at face value. Including reporting Sirenhead videos as real. Anyways, that lead me to rewatching his vids on both the fall of History Channel through Ancient Aliens and the 2012 stuff. I really love how he points out that the whole 2012 thing came from Church of Subgenius. And then the lady on ZetaTalk combined it with New Age hippy bullshit and boom, the world is going to end in 2012!! The Maya predicted it!!!! Though the best thing he talks about in the video was the evergreen "Nostradamus Predicts!!!" shows that were shown periodically, and how that was cooped by Christian Nutjobs. I remember this being really popular in the early 90s with the Gulf War. Everyone was always trying to predict the 3rd Antichrist, with Napoleon and Hitler being the first two. Funny thing that Napoleon would be seen as being as evil at Hitler. I don't remember Napoleon being particularly evil. I mean if I was going to choose an Antichrist from before Hitler, i'd go with Leopold III or maybe Andrew Jackson on utter evil. Anyways, they all wanted to call Saddam the next Antichrist, though seriously, again if I wanted to call someone post Hitler antichrist, Regan would probably your best choice, who's hosed up the world more than he did?

Anyways, I'm always fascinated by people who grab onto this kind of stuff. Religious people i can understand because hey, everyone they don't like is about to get punished and they're going to get rewarded, so that makes sense, but people who aren't, why are they into it?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Fresh new cryptid from Nevada!

quote:

Terrified grandmother captures image of 'horned demon' standing over her toddler granddaughter's bed - after setting up camera when the girl was heard telling someone to 'go away' in the night

A terrified grandma is begging for help after capturing 'a demon' standing over her grandchild's bed - just days after the toddler was heard warning an invisible intruder to 'go away'.

Tory McKenzie, 41, set up a motion-activated camera at her son's house after complaints his two-year-old daughter Amber McKenzie was talking to something unseen in the middle of the night.

The grandma checked her camera's app four days later to find a bone-chilling image of a figure standing inches away from the sleeping tot and her seven-month-old brother Michael McKenzie, with 'a horn on its head and long claws'.

The 'creature' is captured standing awkwardly, looking upwards just before 3am - and Tory insists the discovery has left her fearing for her grandchildren's lives.

When she tried to rid the house of the 'evil presence' by burning oils, she claims cabinets and curtains opened and closed and music began to play by itself.

The mother-of-five shared her story via a paranormal Facebook page to ask for advice, leaving users horrified with many warning her to sell the house and others agreeing the being looked 'demonic'.

The fearful grandma hit back at those who claimed the image had to be a fake, insisting she just wants to protect her family and does not have the technical knowhow to have changed the image.

The family have recorded orbs floating around the children's bedroom, but the new image, captured in January, has triggered Ryan to take Amber and Michael out of their room and into his.

Tory, from Las Vegas, Nevada, said: 'It was so shocking when I saw it. I had to do a double take. The first thing I saw was horns on its head, so you immediately think it's the devil or a demon.

'When we caught videos of the orbs we thought it was a family member looking after the kids, but that picture, I have no idea. It's terrifying.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9366017/Grandmother-terrified-capturing-image-demon-standing-granddaughters-bed.html

And here's a goddamn ORB

It's obviously a person caught halfway through standing up which is causing motion blur, making the hands look extended and claw-like. The 'horns' are just their eyes or possibly even glasses.

The story got reported fairly widely even here in Australia and the national broadcaster's media watchdog program was less than impressed. :v:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Orb photos are the most annoying thing if you’ve any interest in ghosts. Oh look, the camera caught dust and failed to focus on them! GHOST ORB

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

This was a front page tabloid story dated Oct 3rd, 2014 in the UK (it’s my photo). Said tabloid doesn’t usually go for the big paranormal headline, so clearly it’s true.

It's simultaneously really fascinating and really frustrating to see the development of things like the black eyed kids and slenderman. Fascinating because it's a case of new folklore developing before our eyes, which is quite a rare thing to be able to witness, but frustrating because as a far-too-online 30-something guy I saw the explicitly fictional origins when they were first posted so all I can do is roll my eyes when I hear people taking them seriously. Like, with bigfoot or sea monsters or UFOs or something like that, I can look at specific cases or pieces of evidence and see how clearly fake they are but the idea has been around long enough and the origin is murky enough that if I'm feeling particularly charitable I can suspend my disbelief for a while. But I remember the specific thread on the SA forums where slenderman was invented. There's no mystery, there's no suspension of disbelief, it's explicitly fictional and always has been. It's not folklore, it's folkloresque (which it turns out is actually a term used in academia for precisely this kind of thing). I, and I'm sure many others in this thread, actually saw the transition firsthand when I showed one of my nephews a couple of the early Everyman Hybrid videos. He knew it was fake because I told him the origins and he was kind of an amateur filmmaker himself so he was familiar with the process of making low budget films, but when he showed the video to my other nephew he declined to fill his brother in on the origins, and for a while at least he had him fooled. That transition between me telling my nephew "Hey I know you're into online amateur horror films, look at this series" and his brother thinking it was real and sharing it with who knows how many of his friends only took a few days. It's kind of amazing how quickly these things can earn credence among people who don't know their origins and how quickly they can spread into something people genuinely think is a longstanding phenomenon.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

It's obviously a person caught halfway through standing up which is causing motion blur, making the hands look extended and claw-like. The 'horns' are just their eyes or possibly even glasses.

Is it? I haven't seen any blurred figure like that before. The cloudy texture is weird - is that an artefact of certain cameras - maybe a low frame rate and low light?

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

stereobreadsticks posted:

It's simultaneously really fascinating and really frustrating to see the development of things like the black eyed kids and slenderman. Fascinating because it's a case of new folklore developing before our eyes, which is quite a rare thing to be able to witness, but frustrating because as a far-too-online 30-something guy I saw the explicitly fictional origins when they were first posted so all I can do is roll my eyes when I hear people taking them seriously. Like, with bigfoot or sea monsters or UFOs or something like that, I can look at specific cases or pieces of evidence and see how clearly fake they are but the idea has been around long enough and the origin is murky enough that if I'm feeling particularly charitable I can suspend my disbelief for a while.

Point well made. I think that Nessie was basically concocted out of thin air in the day, but it's been long forgotten. There was basically no history of a monster in the loch before the 1930s and people posthoc pulled in a bunch of vaguely appropriate legends and distant incidents.

Similarly, I once had a friend who was doing a thesis on cultural images of UFOs, noting how they changed through the ages, with shifting ideas of what was a plausible sighting. Humans in silver suits to bug-eyed Greys. Those ideas came from somewhere, but we've largely lost sight of them.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

nonathlon posted:

Is it? I haven't seen any blurred figure like that before. The cloudy texture is weird - is that an artefact of certain cameras - maybe a low frame rate and low light?

There's a whole lot of super cheap knockoff trail cams being sold on eBay and similar platforms and their quality can be hilariously bad. Automatic motion sensor cameras already have a bunch of issues finding a balance between aperture, ISO and shutter speed in a low light/artificial light setting, and the shittier and cheaper they are the more likely they are to have motion blur issues.

Here's two examples I pulled off a random google image search.

nonathlon posted:

Point well made. I think that Nessie was basically concocted out of thin air in the day, but it's been long forgotten. There was basically no history of a monster in the loch before the 1930s and people posthoc pulled in a bunch of vaguely appropriate legends and distant incidents.

Similarly, I once had a friend who was doing a thesis on cultural images of UFOs, noting how they changed through the ages, with shifting ideas of what was a plausible sighting. Humans in silver suits to bug-eyed Greys. Those ideas came from somewhere, but we've largely lost sight of them.

The UFOs of the late 19th century were "mystery airships" which usually resembled dirigibles and were often made out of wood and canvas and powered by propellers, and although their crews usually appeared to be human they were often reported to dressed strangely and acting peculiarly, and some of them were supposedly from Mars or descended from the lost tribes of Israel.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mystery_airship

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Ah ha ha ha I just watched the final episode of the current season of Expedition Bigfoot which just aired and it was super dumb, as expected. I'll spoiler my post just in case anyone is actually watching the show.

In the penultimate episode they really ramped up the drama by pretending there were bigfoots all around them just on the other side of those trees where we can't see them!!!!! Of course they never ever see anything except vague thermal images which were completely indistinct but they all acted like they were super scared and had to back out of the area for their safety and couldn't sleep a wink that night. They even got out of bed at 3am and went back to running around the forest because they apparently kept hearing things walking around just outside their tents.
In the last episode the big burly survivalist dude was walking across an abandoned railway bridge when his cameraman got a glimpse of a large black hairy creature in the river below them which was too big to be a bear:

But oh no! The banks of the river were too steep and there was no way to get down there! The survivalist had to abseil down the bridge even though it was super duper dangerous!!! Also it got dark in the meantime, I guess the camera crew took too long to set up the drone so they could get action shots.

Note the easily scalable ladder-like section of the bridge which he could have climbed down quickly and safely at any point. :v:

When he got down to the river he found the holy grail of bigfoot hunters, a set of bigfoot tracks with perfect footprints!!!!

They made a HUGE deal out of the footprints even though they were so indistinct they had to add a graphic over the top so the audience could tell what they were supposed to be looking at.

The whole team got together to digitally scan the prints and take casts and discuss how significant this find was and how they were SO CLOSE to actually finding bigfoot and this was the closest they've ever come and the next few days were going to be super critical ... and then the host told them that wildfires had broken out in the area and they had to end the expedition and leave immediately. So they packed up and spent ages and ages talking about how upset they were to have victory wrenched from their grasp at the final hurdle etc etc.

At the very end of the show they did a zoom interview with a bigfoot expert who'd subjected the cast of their bigfoot print to a rigorous scientific evaluation and he concluded that it was just impossible that it wasn't a genuine bigfoot footprint. It looked like dogshit to me:

They'd also collected a whole bunch of hair and "environmental DNA samples" (ie: dirt) throughout the entire season and made a big deal of them every time but never mentioned them at all in the final episode.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

The_Doctor posted:

Orb photos are the most annoying thing if you’ve any interest in ghosts. Oh look, the camera caught dust and failed to focus on them! GHOST ORB

Rods are even worse, as they are actually real things, just they're the way cameras capture bugs flying by. But nope its on camera and cameras can't lie! Yea, Camera's can't lie, but they aren't perfect, especially older ones available to buy in stores.

Its actually interesting that UFO pictures and videos basically vanished as soon as everyone started walking around with a camera in their pocket all the time everywhere. When they do show up they're clearly fakes, as someones just randomly recording around and oh poo poo there is a giant UFO in the sky, and no one is reacting to it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
You still see the occasional real UFO video pop up, but I've yet to see one from the past decade that doesn't just look like it couldn't be explained away as a bug or a bird or a reflection

I saw one recently that was clearly a moth illuminated by a campfire that everyone had convinced themselves was much farther away than it actually was.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

There's two "nightcrawlers" that cross over the yard in the 2007 Fresno video, most people concentrate on the more impressive one (timestamped around 12:46 in the security footage) and leave out the lovely first at 12:42 because it doesn't really 'walk' properly and just glides across the yard like Jamiroquai. They're each about 4 feet tall, and somewhat coincidentally the small yard they cross is surround by a metal picket fence and if you strung a wire off it it'd hang at pretty much exactly 4 feet off the ground ......

The footage first gained wide popularity on the 2010 TV show Fact or Faked: Paranormal Files, they did a breakdown of it and tried to debunk it with a kid around the same height and some really lovely puppets and didn't really draw any conclusion either way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwvkCeYtXGQ&t=238s

The original footage is so grainy and degraded because the dude set up a security camera to film his front yard because he suspected there were prowlers and when he saw the footage he rewound the VCR and taped the footage off the TV screen with a camcorder, and because the security system records over the VHS tapes the original copy was lost. Of course the versions we see online has passed through at least another round of conversion/degradation, but people still try to "enhance" it to prove that there weren't any wires or anything.

There's also a second video which show two "nightcrawlers" walking along a path at Yosemite National Park in 2011:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a1nDOPPXLM&t=27s

Ah. I guess that debunks my theory. That's definitely what it looked like to me but puppets is a better explanation.

That later one is obviously marionettes but I wasn't sure of the first.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

veni veni veni posted:

That later one is obviously marionettes but I wasn't sure of the first.

There's a reason they always leave the first 'test run' nightcrawler out of the paranormal youtube videos and only show the second 'keep on truckin' crawler. :ssh:

It's a really really bad habit that a lot of cryptozoology people get sucked into - they're so desperate to find evidence that a video or photo is real that they flat out ignore aspects that show that might be fake. They zero in on the most convincing aspects and their brain just glosses over the rest.

That recent case where a thylacine hunter was super convinced he'd finally got photographic evidence is a good example. The trail cam photos showed three animals traveling along a path right after each other: an ambiguous animal, a smaller animal that he was certain was a juvenile thylacine, and then another larger ambiguous animal. He convinced himself that the other animals were also thylacines and not pademelons and his reasoning is "Why would a carnivorous animal like a juvenile thylacine be traveling with two herbivorous animals like pademelons???"
Later on when several experts verified the two larger animals were definitely pademelons he conspicuously didn't revisit his earlier argument ....

Here's another example from the famed BFRO website (run by Matt Moneymaker, the lead guy from Finding Bigfoot) which allegedly show a set of massive "bipedal tracks" which were found not far from a spot where there'd earlier been a reported bigfoot sighting. There's a set of human footprints besides them for comparison:

This set off a huge discussion on the BFRO discussion forums, which can still be viewed via the internet wayback machine if anyone is curious: https://web.archive.org/web/20130609051525/http://s2.excoboard.com/BFRO/163242/2026290/1

Of course the simplest answer is that the tracks were just made by a moose, when they're walking through snow they often step into the same footprint with their front and back feet which makes them look like bigfoot prints. Here's some verified moose prints:

If you go back and look at the BFRO photos you can see that the moose actually stumbled on the second 'footprint' after it hopped over the fence and didn't quite step cleanly onto the same place so it made two separate rounded hoofprints in the snow instead of one big elongated print:

That getty photo of moose prints has a similar misstep, for comparison.
(Unless maybe the bigfoot was wearing high heels?????!???)

If that wasn't proof enough the photographer uploaded this closeup photo which shows "a 14 inch track with 2 splayed toes and a very sharp outline of the foot."

Um yeah those "splayed toes" are a moose's cloven hoof. Here's another verified moose print for comparison:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Same thing with yeti prints—the asiatic black bear (and, indeed, many other animals) make extended, spaced-out tracks due to the front/back paw as well as a hooked claw which can easily look like a big toe in a print.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

in order to understand how the bigfoot has stayed hidden for so long, one must look to classic Bugs Bunny cartoons

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

There's a reason they always leave the first 'test run' nightcrawler out of the paranormal youtube videos and only show the second 'keep on truckin' crawler. :ssh:

It's a really really bad habit that a lot of cryptozoology people get sucked into - they're so desperate to find evidence that a video or photo is real that they flat out ignore aspects that show that might be fake. They zero in on the most convincing aspects and their brain just glosses over the rest.

That recent case where a thylacine hunter was super convinced he'd finally got photographic evidence is a good example. The trail cam photos showed three animals traveling along a path right after each other: an ambiguous animal, a smaller animal that he was certain was a juvenile thylacine, and then another larger ambiguous animal. He convinced himself that the other animals were also thylacines and not pademelons and his reasoning is "Why would a carnivorous animal like a juvenile thylacine be traveling with two herbivorous animals like pademelons???"
Later on when several experts verified the two larger animals were definitely pademelons he conspicuously didn't revisit his earlier argument ....

Here's another example from the famed BFRO website (run by Matt Moneymaker, the lead guy from Finding Bigfoot) which allegedly show a set of massive "bipedal tracks" which were found not far from a spot where there'd earlier been a reported bigfoot sighting. There's a set of human footprints besides them for comparison:

This set off a huge discussion on the BFRO discussion forums, which can still be viewed via the internet wayback machine if anyone is curious: https://web.archive.org/web/20130609051525/http://s2.excoboard.com/BFRO/163242/2026290/1

Of course the simplest answer is that the tracks were just made by a moose, when they're walking through snow they often step into the same footprint with their front and back feet which makes them look like bigfoot prints. Here's some verified moose prints:

If you go back and look at the BFRO photos you can see that the moose actually stumbled on the second 'footprint' after it hopped over the fence and didn't quite step cleanly onto the same place so it made two separate rounded hoofprints in the snow instead of one big elongated print:

That getty photo of moose prints has a similar misstep, for comparison.

If that wasn't proof enough the photographer uploaded this closeup photo which shows "a 14 inch track with 2 splayed toes and a very sharp outline of the foot."

Um yeah those "splayed toes" are a moose's cloven hoof. Here's another verified moose print for comparison:

Reminds me of the so-called "Skookum Cast" which Bigfooters were convinced was the impression of a Bigfoot wallowing in some mud. IIRC almost right away an actual biologist said, "oh yeah that's an elk lay, where an elk wallowed" but this was turned into just one side of the "debate" and Bigfooters were pointing out buttocks and hands and etc. that were DEFINITIVE proof that this was Bigfoot and NOT AN ELK (it was an elk).

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
lmao at “Butt ?” Man

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I can't believe they call him bigfoot when he has three butt cheeks. seems like a more interesting feature if you ask me.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Alternate names for the elusive Sasquatch include:
Ol' Tributt
The Tribumvirate
Three Cheeks McGee

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Cryptids & Conspiracies: Butt?

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
the ladies call me Bigfoot cuz I got three rear end cheeks

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

I like big foots and i cannot lie

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

The_Doctor posted:

Does anyone know offhand when orbs became a thing? When I was a kid as well as in my teens, I don't remember anyone bringing up ghost orbs, but when I got back into reading up on ghosts in my 30s, it was 'ghost orbs EVERYWHERE!'. Was there a drought in decent enough ghost photos that people jumped on orbs or what?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

M_Sinistrari posted:

Does anyone know offhand when orbs became a thing? When I was a kid as well as in my teens, I don't remember anyone bringing up ghost orbs, but when I got back into reading up on ghosts in my 30s, it was 'ghost orbs EVERYWHERE!'. Was there a drought in decent enough ghost photos that people jumped on orbs or what?

I can't help but wonder if, as cheap personal cameras improved, and 'things that appear in photos which would have previously been explained as ghosts' declined because now you can see what it actually is, people started picking up on the other things they couldn't explain. ie, dust motes/insects and the cheap camera not focussing on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

M_Sinistrari posted:

I'm fairly sure it was the 90s with the advent of digital cameras (and then phones in cameras). People started taking a lot more photos, were more likely to have their cameras on them. I think there might be something about digital cameras that also makes them more likely to pick up orbs.