Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Gearhead posted:

Imagine a world transformed drastically by something WONDERFUL happening instead of something horrible, for a change?

It's a possibility that's what happens. You've got Hydaelyn and Zodiark as two opposing forces, so unlike the First/Thirteenth there shouldn't necessarily be a massive overload of one Aspect over the other.

But at the same time, it's a lot of aether generated from pre-Sundering constructs, so SOMETHING is bound to happen.

Maybe it'll be a True Rejoining that doesn't involve destroying one world and causing global calamities on the Source, so the Convocation's mission is also completed but in a happy way.
Hell, the rest of the ancients might get rezzed into a less godlike form so that Emet and friend's dream of restoring their people happens too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
I mean, Hydalin's also almost out of juice specifically because she's not been absorbing aether like primals normally do. So it's possible her exploding won't actually return all that much aether to the lifestream.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
maybe such a dramatic change will encourage something else to try and fill the power vaccuum

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Gearhead posted:

Imagine a world transformed drastically by something WONDERFUL happening instead of something horrible, for a change?

Don't worry, Zenos and his juicy booty is coming back for Endwalker.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

no gods, no masters, no primals.

hydaelen delenda est

clubDeuce
Dec 1, 2010

Cleretic posted:

That might not happen, because the thing that's opening the door for Zenos with Zodiark is essentially that it's an empty pilot's seat; with Elidibus gone, Zodiark has no 'heart' to control it (and perhaps, with Elidibus being walking around outside of it for so long, hasn't had a heart for a while). Whereas Hydaelyn to the best of anyone's knowledge is still being controlled just fine by Venat, given Hydaelyn's shown actual agency as recently as 2.x.

important distinction: the 'elidibus' we killed was a primal manifestation of the elidibus role, not the true one. the real one is presumably still piloting Zodiark as its personality construct. or maybe not and you're right.

i like to take the whole elidibus fight sequence as kind of a peek in to the kind of misery that it must be to sustain a primal existence, the same kind of misery that venat and elidibus must be going through as hydaelyn/zodiark respectively. especially since both have 'noble' goals in that they seek restoration, just in incredibly different ways

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

clubDeuce posted:

important distinction: the 'elidibus' we killed was a primal manifestation of the elidibus role, not the true one. the real one is presumably still piloting Zodiark as its personality construct. or maybe not and you're right.

The Elidibus we killed was the real Elidibus. He was sacrificed to pilot Zodiark, then the convocation couldn’t stop bickering so he (Zodiark) split off the consciousness part of himself back into Elidibus, just now as a hope primal. Then Venat and co summoned Hydaelyn, and everything split except Eli, Lahabrea, and Emet Selch.

That leaves the split Zodiarks without any level of consciousness, like a car without a driver

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I don’t know if it was specifically about the misery of being the heart of a primal, or just trying to write a story about an antagonist with faultless late-stage dementia.

Granted his dementia was from being brainwashed as a child by the completely desperate people he currently shares eternity with, which makes it way tragic that you need to shank him.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

thetoughestbean posted:

The Elidibus we killed was the real Elidibus. He was sacrificed to pilot Zodiark, then the convocation couldn’t stop bickering so he (Zodiark) split off the consciousness part of himself back into Elidibus, just now as a hope primal. Then Venat and co summoned Hydaelyn, and everything split except Eli, Lahabrea, and Emet Selch.

That leaves the split Zodiarks without any level of consciousness, like a car without a driver

It's also strongly implied he did it out of loneliness, too, out of a desire to live among the people he saved.

Elidibus probably wasn't a very good choice for Zodiark's heart, he struggled with the sheer eternity of what he had to do, in a way that apparently none of the other Ascians did judging by how they are in the present day. He also reads as a bit of a glory hound to me, that he needed to be recognized as A Hero for what he did, and couldn't stand being locked away from people who'd call him one.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Cleretic posted:

It's also strongly implied he did it out of loneliness, too, out of a desire to live among the people he saved.

Elidibus probably wasn't a very good choice for Zodiark's heart, he struggled with the sheer eternity of what he had to do, in a way that apparently none of the other Ascians did judging by how they are in the present day. He also reads as a bit of a glory hound to me, that he needed to be recognized as A Hero for what he did, and couldn't stand being locked away from people who'd call him one.

So, in other words, a teenager.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I think it wasn't so much that Elidibus was a bad choice so much as that he was the only choice. Imagine Emet as a hope elemental, lol

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Chillgamesh posted:

I think it wasn't so much that Elidibus was a bad choice so much as that he was the only choice. Imagine Emet as a hope elemental, lol

He wasn’t the only choice, he wasn’t even the first choice! It was supposed to be Gaia, but I think Artemis talked her/the rest of the convocation out of it

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

thetoughestbean posted:

He wasn’t the only choice, he wasn’t even the first choice! It was supposed to be Gaia, but I think Artemis talked her/the rest of the convocation out of it

The only choice meaning that he was the best of a poor selection. Every single one of them would have failed in a different way.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Chillgamesh posted:

The only choice meaning that he was the best of a poor selection. Every single one of them would have failed in a different way.

I think Gaia might have legitimately been a better choice. It kept Elidibus around to keep people from fighting while sacrificing someone more suitable for the job.

Mostly I think that Artemis is deeply, deeply selfish

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, Hydaelyn is actually much more interesting as essentially a 'Primal of Benevolence'. Making her evil is just... guys, we're gonna be fighting a purple rock at the end of this next expansion, do you REALLY think fighting a blue rock as well because it's been declared evil is going to be more interesting?

Making her good, but still a primal, opens us up for way more interesting angles. One of the best things about FFXIV's story to me is that once the fireworks are over, it makes a point of asking 'now what' and grappling with those questions, and Hydaelyn after Zodiark is a fantastic 'now what' question. After all, we've never seen a primal win and achieve its goals; I'm much more interested in what happens when THAT happens than I am in 'oooooh but what if she TEMPERED US and was BAAAAD'.
US servers get a special side-branch to the MSQ: We fight Kreia, who has tempered the player. :v:

I suspect Hydaelyn will probably sacrifice herself in a call back to the Ultima Weapon fight to protect or empower us in the final conflict, though there may be preliminary telegraphy on the topic with her fading etc.

Lazy Fair
Sep 23, 2019

Valhawk posted:

I mean except for all scenes of absorbing light aether showing the Blessing of Light magic circle.

Theres no blessing of light magic circle in those scenes, just the WoL and the Warden's light.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

So, in other words, a teenager.
Elidibus was basically Ancient-Alphinaud, except without the "Oh gosh I certainly mucked that up, didn't I?" moment and subsequent character growth.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

thetoughestbean posted:

I think Gaia might have legitimately been a better choice. It kept Elidibus around to keep people from fighting while sacrificing someone more suitable for the job.

Mostly I think that Artemis is deeply, deeply selfish

Gaia would've been a bad choice for a different reason. She'd probably have understood her duty and stayed in there, but Artemis wouldn't have been able to take it because, yeah, they're deeply selfish and we know that because of when we met them.

Looking at all the other Ascians we've met... I don't think any of them would've volunteered, but most of them would've been better than Elidibus--most definitely the two other Paragons. Lahabrea apparently went mad over time because of how he conducted himself as an Ascian, so if he became Zodiark then you'd have presumably ended up with a very rational and considered Zodiark judging by what we know of him in Amaurot Days. And Emet might be a depressed sack of poo poo but he's a depressed sack of poo poo willing to buckle down and do his job, so he'd at least have kept doing it unlike Elidibus. (EDIT: Plus if Elidibus weren't outside of Zodiark doing his thing, the Source wouldn't have had the AT LEAST TWO evil empires he founded, so hard to say that's not an improvement.)

For the rest... Gaia and Artemis would've been bad choices just because Artemis is a fucker, but that's kinda it. The evidence we have seems to suggest that Fandaniel went crazy over time, so even he'd have probably been trustworthy in the seat.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Mar 22, 2021

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
what if hydaelyn was evil, but she tells you that she only pretended to be evil so your friends wouldn't feel bad killing her because like all primals, her being alive sucks the aether out or something.

pack it, ship it, goty2021

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I don't think Hydaelin has to be evil for her to be an antagonistic, or at least ultimately harmful influence. Like the big reveal with Zodiark is that he wasn't evil either but that they were both deeply flawed solutions to a very big problem and that darkness and light don't have any inherent moral value of them in any case. And especially as Azem was apparently against the creation of both and presumably wanted to deal with the Sound in a more hand-on Trial-ly manner I would ve very surprised if Hydaelyn by one means or another had to disappear for a classic SMT neutral ending that places the responsibility of the world back in the hands of mortals without any more well-meaning primal induced catastrophes.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
My guess is we'll get some sort of Hydalin/Zodiark merger that causes them to cancel out or something.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Zeruel posted:

what if hydaelyn was evil, but she tells you that she only pretended to be evil so your friends wouldn't feel bad killing her because like all primals, her being alive sucks the aether out or something.

pack it, ship it, goty2021

G'raha tried that after you beat Vauthry and literally nobody believed it then either.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

the_steve posted:

G'raha tried that after you beat Vauthry and literally nobody believed it then either.

And then we find out that Venat was also Sundered and G'raha was one of their fragments all along.

Edit: In fact, all the Catpeople in our lives are people we used to know! :v:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I missed it, how is it that Elidibus is running around doing thangs but Venat isn’t? Ostensibly the manner in which Elidibus serves as Zodiark’s heart, so too should Venat with Hydaelyn.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

jokes posted:

I missed it, how is it that Elidibus is running around doing thangs but Venat isn’t?

Elidibus was driven by his duty to his people, and the council, in ways that are hard to describe. When the council began to argue among themselves about the next course of action after having saved the world he basically had a fit, because it was his entire job to find common ground for everyone to work with and bring the council to consensus. Not being Literally Alphinaud circa ARR, Venat likely is more stable in their connection to Hydelain, if not as powerful.

More simply: Elidibus was so driven by the idea of Making Everyone Get Along that the Primal built around him had a mental breakdown and ejected a part of itself in order to Make Everyone Get Along.

Gearhead fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 22, 2021

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

jokes posted:

I missed it, how is it that Elidibus is running around doing thangs but Venat isn’t? Ostensibly the manner in which Elidibus serves as Zodiark’s heart, so too should Venat with Hydaelyn.

Thinking about it- Elidibus, beyond being the heart of Zodiark, was also the mouthpiece, yes? Maybe Venat's aether long since dissipated into the greater Hydaelyn out of need (she was starving), hence needing Minfilia (in this supposition) to take their place.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Hydaelyn needs a snack stat. Maybe she should gobble up the 13th to recharge? Nobody would complain. Demons aren’t generally a nice thing to have around.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

jokes posted:

Hydaelyn needs a snack stat. Maybe she should gobble up the 13th to recharge? Nobody would complain. Demons aren’t generally a nice thing to have around.

pretty sure eating that much dark aether would kill her.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Also we've got a questline now explicitly about fixing the 13th.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

apostateCourier posted:

pretty sure eating that much dark aether would kill her.

There's no aether left in the 13th.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Then that's just empty calories.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

There's no aether left in the 13th.

The demons are made of aether, aren't they?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

the_steve posted:

I so loved that nobody believed G'raha's obvious lie. Poor catboy really thought he was being clever and everyone was just all 'what you've been all over the WoL's dick since the beginning and were super genuine about your love for them and their impact on your life, this plan is dumb man'.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The 13th is full of beings twisted from being aether-starved. Life needs ambient aether to survive and the 13th don’t have none no more— it’s all darkness. Same way the flood of light on the first causes everything to be turned into Only Light. Difference is light aether is a stasis, dark aether is chaotic.

I believe that doesn’t mean there’s no aether, it’s just all spoken for and isn’t in any normally usable form, so the demons are thirsty as poo poo but can still shoot fireballs or whatever

jokes fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 22, 2021

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

did they ever say why the 3 weren't sundered?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Kerrzhe posted:

did they ever say why the 3 weren't sundered?

It's still a mystery how they alone escaped sundering.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Either Zodiark or Pandemonium could potentially answer that question, even in passing.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

jokes posted:

Ironically, it almost seems like the Source has kind of adapted to having voidsent around filling an ecological and social niche.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Well I guess there are 2 voidsent with jobs, but otherwise they're just tools of war or other terrible things.

Not sure they're really filling a useful niche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Well I guess there are 2 voidsent with jobs, but otherwise they're just tools of war or other terrible things.

Not sure they're really filling a useful niche.

More in the sense of "not only do various ecosystems rely on the presence of voidsent like bombs, but also multiple cultures seem to regularly practice the summoning of voidsent."

Honestly, Bozja is really weird here because the mages there have summoned familiars and this isn't at all a thing about how Eorzean mage disciplines outside of Arcanist do it. And those familiars are sprites and other vaguely-explained elemental entities, not carbuncles or other such constructs. It's one of those things where I wonder if we're just not supposed to be doing it or if devs just didn't care to make it fit or what.

Jetrauben fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 22, 2021