Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://twitter.com/iBeen__Fly/status/1371109759290646532?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

jivjov posted:

It'll never happen, but I'd love a LuPat adaptation where the ranger teams are explicitly enemies rather than angsty allies working at cross purposes, and the cop rangers are unequivocally bad guys

Yeah, I never watched any LuPat so I don't know how well the footage supports it but just conceptually you could easily do a Streets of Rage thing where the Lupinrangers are the few former cops who were willing to quit to be able to combat the institutional corruption from outside the system.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Andros be all "Pfft, I can huck the ball with my mind, why am I here again?"

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Timeforce and Ninja guy be like.. "pfff, just throw the drat ball already. We've been here for hours."

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Leo: Come on, man, you can do it!
Tommy: I hope he does it. C'mon...
Scott: Unimpressive.
Cole: Why am I even here?
Nick: Oooh, a concession stand!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Sorry for the doublepost, but Chance Perez (Dino Fury Black) posted some pics of the new episode on his Instagram:

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I assume his counterpart in the Sentai wore the same stuff and they're doing it so they can use some footage in fights perhaps?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Testekill posted:

I assume his counterpart in the Sentai wore the same stuff and they're doing it so they can use some footage in fights perhaps?

Sort of:

https://powerrangers.fandom.com/wiki/Bamba_(Ryusoulger)

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vGfFcIbj8Q

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
lmao, apparently Izzy is tearing off her skirt in the background here. masterstroke way to both have the girls match by default but also have the skirtless one line up with the Sentai footage. great way to work that into a character beat

https://twitter.com/Jumbalia23/status/1372334124246138884

Homora Gaykemi fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Mar 19, 2021

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
That's loving brilliant if that's the case.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Man I am glad I was able to get MMPR Red and Zeo gold separately. Was curious how much the SDCC 2 pack was and lowest I could was $200.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
drat, maybe I aught to sell mine then and get the separate figues. I still have my legacy thunder megazord I'm not as big a fan of as when I was young, too.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

As Nero Danced posted:

drat, maybe I aught to sell mine then and get the separate figues. I still have my legacy thunder megazord I'm not as big a fan of as when I was young, too.

Looked on Ebay. The cheapest was 120, but it would ship from Japn. And after everything would come out to $160.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Tearing the skirt off was great, I find myself rather enjoying Dino Fury so far

Though I also watched some MMPR s2 fights this morning and miss the simple stripped down karate bullshit a lot

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I know it's all children's tv, but I just can't watch modern power Rangers. The mandate to fill every moment with dialog just kills me

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Yo the debut fight with Izzy and Javier was the bomb

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I watched the new fight scene they filmed and it's pretty drat good.

Red isn't shouting fake enthusiasm out of his pores as well, which was part of the issue I had with direction in Ninja Steel ("This is EPIC!")

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
poor Dragnarok constantly getting talked over while trying to introduce himself lmao

Dino Fury remains good

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Is there anyway to watch Dino Fury outside of catching it live?

Also, the new issue of Mighty Morphin dropped. It's going over how Matt became the Green Ranger and leads up to the reveal from last issue.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
You can find versions of the episodes on Youtube or Dailymotion if you know where to look.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Agent Rush posted:

Is there anyway to watch Dino Fury outside of catching it live?

Also, the new issue of Mighty Morphin dropped. It's going over how Matt became the Green Ranger and leads up to the reveal from last issue.

If you’ve got some adblocking and popup blocking software you could also watch the series (and every other season) via unofficial streaming sites such as Kimcartoon and the like if you’re desperate and can’t find it anywhere else.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

You can watch it on Nick’s app and probably their website too. Only catch is if you want the 3 latest episodes you need a login for a cable company like Dish or Direct or Verizon or even YouTube TV.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Thanks! I knew I'd used to watch shows on the website, but for some reason I couldn't find the shows I was looking to see and stopped checking. Looks like Dino Fury is available, though!

Homora Gaykemi posted:

poor Dragnarok constantly getting talked over while trying to introduce himself lmao

Dino Fury remains good

Yeah! I'd always liked how Power Rangers has some girls with skirts and some not, making the removal a character beat is an awesome detail.

Also, the megazord is really simple even among 3-piecers. Does the helmet even change?

Agent Rush fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 21, 2021

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I'm really enjoying Dino Fury thus far. The cast have fun dialogue and chemistry and feel like complete characters (especially for a PR series).

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I feel like the comic did a weird thing by making a big deal about the green ranger's identity when there were only 2 real candidates. I'm also not super invested in this whole Eltar story.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Agent Rush posted:

Also, the megazord is really simple even among 3-piecers. Does the helmet even change?

Having only poked at wiki, the sentai has some changes that roll through, but overall I think the Zords for Ryusoulger are kinda lame

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Gaz-L posted:

I feel like the comic did a weird thing by making a big deal about the green ranger's identity when there were only 2 real candidates. I'm also not super invested in this whole Eltar story.

I mean my guesses were either Drakkon or SheZordon so there’s at least three options right there.

It was kind of a dull surprise for me, since I didn’t read Go Go before Shattered Grid consumed it into the main comic’s story.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Sockser posted:

Having only poked at wiki, the sentai has some changes that roll through, but overall I think the Zords for Ryusoulger are kinda lame

As a mecha, it's kinda basic and because of the shorter run time, they cut out some of the zord stuff where you get to see that they can modify the parts on the fly to do cool attacks.

As a toy, it's great because it's all mix and match parts that you apply to the base to make your own unique combos and possibly making a unique clusterfuck megazord of your own

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!
I dropped Ryusoulger about ten episodes in but I will forever defend my legally-distinct-not-LEGO robot friends for the "ZordBuilder, but doesn't suck" concept alone. As much as I hate the trend of gigantic clusterfuck final upgrade robots, being able to make your own unique nightmare beasts using every single one of them at once is kind of refreshing.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Shaezerus posted:

I dropped Ryusoulger about ten episodes in but I will forever defend my legally-distinct-not-LEGO robot friends for the "ZordBuilder, but doesn't suck" concept alone. As much as I hate the trend of gigantic clusterfuck final upgrade robots, being able to make your own unique nightmare beasts using every single one of them at once is kind of refreshing.

Dino Fury seems to be much better than its Sentai counterpart in my opinion so that’s something at least

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Shaezerus posted:

I always thought zordbuilder was a clever concept let down by cheap plastic. I wish it was around back in my childhood when I was trying to mix and match zords from different seasons.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I never saw Ryusoulger, did it commit some cardinal sin?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Junpei posted:

EDIT: Spoilering a couple of things since they may be adapted in Dino Fury, though I dearly hope not.

No. I'd have more to say about if it did. It was just mediocre and boring. It never commited to anything, it never tried to be anything above "okay". It had the potential to do great things, but beyond extremely few moments of brightness, it was never realized. Its biggest issue for most of the series was just that: it had nothing really going for it. Oh, and it had a million power ups that all went for Red or Gold, despite being usable by the entire team.

Then it introduced a seventh Ryusoulger that was a significantly more interesting character than the other six with a cool as poo poo suit to immediately kill him off to give Red yet another power up (this was not the last one he'd get). That's when I dropped it.

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Mar 22, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Junpei posted:

No it was just aggressively mediocre and Red-centric to an insane degree.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Shaezerus posted:

Wonder how well the Hasbro versions will turn out

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

drrockso20 posted:

Wonder how well the Hasbro versions will turn out

they showed off prototype versions on stream a month or so ago and they look like they could be really cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4myzEBBEMWk&t=1680s

(starts around 28 minutes if the timecode didn't work)

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Then how come I haven't heard people complain about Koh in the same way that people criticize Takaharu from Ninninger?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Junpei posted:

Then how come I haven't heard people complain about Koh in the same way that people criticize Takaharu from Ninninger?

Because Koh is actually likable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Junpei posted:

Part of it's probably for the same reason nobody talks about Kamen Rider Saber in the ADTRW thread: Ryusoulger's greatest sin is being nothing to actually talk about besides it sure being a show on the Japanese children's television.

Takaharu, by contrast, got pushed so aggressively hard he pretty much single-handedly ruined his show with how he was written. He can't stop being the focus of an episode in other characters' focus episodes. Literally, one episode was about Blue and Gold's unconscious inferiority complex compared to Takaharu's effortless success in Being A Ninja, and once they learned not to give a gently caress about comparing themselves to him and they had the opportunity to use the mid-season suit upgrade, they both gave Takaharu the finishing scene of the fight. He tries to land in the "Idiot Red" crowd but he overshoots way too hard - he's loud, he's impulsive, it takes no less than three separate lectures on teamwork for him to even grasp the concept of teamwork (for which the show rewards him with what by all intentions should have been a full-team finisher, which was only used once, by himself). It also didn't help this was apparently his actor's first major role, and Shunsuke Nishikawa was... not good, at the time, at all. He was never nearly as bad as Troy in Megaforce, and he does get better (his showing in Super Sentai Strongest Battle is actually pretty decent), but for a solid year this was the face of hot-blooded ninja excitement as he shouted his catchphrase for the third time in a 22-minute stretch:

His shirt game is absolutely on point, though. He wore some incredibly good designs.

A lot of people at the time compared him to Daigo from Kyoryuger because it also turned into a super Red-centric show, but the big difference between the two of them was Daigo actually had a modicum of charisma and also never cared about his own status: while it was a literal plot point for an episode about his big glaring weakness being he has no weaknesses, he constantly talked up how his efforts were only made possible by the entire team backing him even to the end. Takaharu, as mentioned, needed two episodes in a row to understand the idea there are four other people in his vicinity.

Koh meanwhile exists. He has his moments like every character and I thought he was okay but for the time I was watching he was just fuckin' there and I could not tell you what his actual personality was beyond Pretty Decent Dude.

Shaezerus fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Mar 23, 2021