Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Maybe you get magic powers if you only gently caress the right people. Like being able to tame unicorns.

E: actually gently caress there is definitely some horrible terf magick people out there who actually believe that isn't there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Reminder Alfred Kinsey personally interviewed Gore Vidal and said he was a 1 on the Kinsey scale.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

OwlFancier posted:

Maybe you get magic powers if you only gently caress the right people. Like being able to tame unicorns.

E: actually gently caress there is definitely some horrible terf magick people out there who actually believe that isn't there.

You've heard about "gold-star gay/lesbians", haven't you? :P

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Read After Burning posted:

I have heard the term but I don't know what it means.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

OwlFancier posted:

I think it means "white and could pass for straight"

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

A lesbian who has ONLY ever had sexual encounters with other women (or gay man who has ONLY ever had sexual encounters with other men). On its own, I think it can be a dumb-if-funny joke, but unfortunately a lot of folks use it as some sort of "I'm more legit and better at being gay than YOU, ugh, you've slept with the opposite sex before!" cudgel.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm making a noise like someone deflating a pig.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

OwlFancier posted:

You can imagime how well that goes for both abuse survivors and people who didn't immediately realize their sexuality, too.

Like, I wanna be clear, this isn't the lesbian hivemind or anything, just, yeah, there are problematic lesbians and gay men.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

OwlFancier posted:

David Cameron has entered the chat.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

TinTower posted:

David Cameron has entered the chat.

Surely you mean Tom Brady?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I have also heard, (only on the internet, and I am hoping in jest), the term "platinum star" gay man. As in a a gay bloke who was delivered vis C-Section. SO he has never even gone near a vagina.

Making him extra-gay I suppose.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Surely that was someone having a giggle.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

BrigadierSensible posted:

I have also heard, (only on the internet, and I am hoping in jest), the term "platinum star" gay man. As in a a gay bloke who was delivered vis C-Section. SO he has never even gone near a vagina.

Making him extra-gay I suppose.

The gently caress?
That's a story it's so insane it doesn't even get the "what" at the beginning of the sentence.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

A quick Google tells me that the platinum-star thing was a joke from Will and Grace.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
https://twitter.com/tokyo_vamp/status/1374035569446158336

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

A quick Google tells me that the platinum-star thing was a joke from Will and Grace.

Lol now I have something I can laugh at a friend of mine for being all smirky about.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

OwlFancier posted:

Earlier in the thread we did see posts from a Wiccan terf, so probably.

marshmallow creep has a new favorite as of 03:45 on Mar 23, 2021

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Speaking of TERFs, I just saw a blast from the past:
https://twitter.com/illustratedlaw/status/1374095082874363913?s=20
To be clear, they're talking about a cat account. For a cat with orange fur.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

What's wild is this is a sane person. Like most comments are like "wow you broke his brain" but no this is this guy at full capacity, all chambers firing in perfect working order. He thinks people will find this funny or an own somehow.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Part of me thinks this may be because bi folks are usually less likely to be transphobic when it comes to picking romantic/sexual partners...maybe we "legitimize the trans" too much? After all, can't have them thinking they can be attractive and deserving of loving relationships and/or healthy fun sex, just like a cis person!

tell that to the people who say Bi means you aren't into trans people and Pan is more inclusive

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Pththya-lyi posted:

Speaking of TERFs, I just saw a blast from the past:
https://twitter.com/illustratedlaw/status/1374095082874363913?s=20
To be clear, they're talking about a cat account. For a cat with orange fur.

blibo is a good bboy

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Midnight Voyager posted:

tell that to the people who say Bi means you aren't into trans people and Pan is more inclusive

I haven't run into this a lot, but I've definitely seen plenty of people say bi excludes queer/NB people, which... I'm not sure is necessarily implied.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Phosphine posted:

I haven't run into this a lot, but I've definitely seen plenty of people say bi excludes queer/NB people, which... I'm not sure is necessarily implied.

Well you see, bisexuals buy into the gender binary.

Now excuse me while I drive in this parkway and then park in that driveway

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Phosphine posted:

It isn't, really, except to the kind of person who thinks that the biggest problem with the LGBT movement is that the acronym just isn't long enough. Some people don't feel comfortable if they can't pigeonhole everything in their life into neat little categories that have no overlap with anything else, and the fact that bisexuality is by its nature the most fluid and fuzzy of orientations just grinds some people's gears immensely. Like, I think of myself as a gay man, but the fact that I've also turned my head after some women during my life would actually intensely upset a certain subset of people on pretty much every side of that divide that you can think of.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
my friend says pan and bi are exactly the same but identifies as pan because the flag is prettier which is imo, objectively true

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Bismuth posted:

my friend says pan and bi are exactly the same but identifies as pan because the flag is prettier which is imo, objectively true

Pfft. Bloody queers are soooo superficial. Always going for the pretty flags.

Next thing you know, they'll be demanding rights.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

OwlFancier posted:

I hope that over time people will just drop the prescriptive idea of having to fit 100% into a binary category and just accept that they like what they like and it doesn't need to have any more significance than that.

How Wonderful! recommend me a book called Gay Berlin, which details some of the work the Hirschfeld institute did, and how he promoted the idea of people's sexuality being on this type of a non-binary scale.

It also.went into detail of certain gay people who promoted reactionary politics and why.

It is a good, but sad, book.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
If gold star lesbian confuses you, just wait until you Google “political lesbian”

if you think they are also TERFs, yup, they are TERFs

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Bismuth posted:

Gotta agree, the bi flag is depressingly bland. The gay pride flag feels weirdly more inclusive of LGBT people in general, because it really brings that message of "people of all stripes" across.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

The non-binary flag is the best one for trying to colour coordinate an outfit!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Phosphine posted:

As I understand it, people identify as pansexual to specifically include queer/NB people. This does not mean the inverse is true, but transphobic bi people definitely do exist.

OwlFancier posted:

Gold star: Has never kissed a person of the opposite gender
Silver star: Has never gotten to second/third base (I forget which) with the opposite gender
Bronze star: Has never had sex with the opposite gender

The guy who taught me the term would eventually date a trans man, and go on to say "okay, vaginas, I do see the appeal."

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Bismuth posted:

so, huh, turns out my CMYK user icons and commissioned face masks could be sending a different message than the "lol printer ink amirite!?" intent for uh people that are dyslexic for colors?

oh well

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I can't be arsed with any of the flags because I'm colourblind so I can't even read most of them.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Achromatopsia sucks. I hope you have the less-bad sort.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Deuteranopia but it still gives you essentially blurred vision in the chromatic spectrum so trying to read specific colours is nigh impossible.

Primary and secondary colours I can generally do but anything else is basically useless.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

No way to really say that in a way that doesn't sound patronizing, but I really am sorry to hear it. I wish that sort of thing was as comparatively easy to deal with as social inequality. :smith:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Eh, it's mostly just annoying when people try to use colours for like, statistics or to identify stuff, oh and it makes doing graphic design a bit hard because what you see isn't what everyone else sees :v:

In some ways it's nice because to me it feels like it encourages you to find better ways to convey information than using colour, which others can then combine with colour later to make something better than both.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 11:12 on Mar 23, 2021

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

As I understand it, people identify as pansexual to specifically include queer/NB people. This does not mean the inverse is true, but transphobic bi people definitely do exist.

Yeah this is roughly my experience, and I identify as pan in circles where someone might care about the distinction, but bi irl when I don't feel like explaining what pan means. Not that it comes up a lot nowadays, being married to a woman makes everyone just assume I'm straight.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Eh, it's mostly just annoying when people try to use colours for like, statistics or to identify stuff, oh and it makes doing graphic design a bit hard because what you see isn't what everyone else sees :v:

In some ways it's nice because to me it feels like it encourages you to find better ways to convey information than using colour, which others can then combine with colour later to make something better than both.
Glad to hear that you don't let it get to you. This is kind of a personal hang-up for me, but the idea that some people just don't get to experience life as quite as fully as people with healthy sensory apparatuses do is just something that I've always hated on a really deep-seated level. Couldn't really explain it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There's a lot of images like this around on the internet that I am told are supposed to look different and usually when I show them people go "wtf it looks like that to you" and I... assume that there is something surprising? To me they are both the same picture, but apparently one of them includes colour ranges I can't see.