Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Test Pattern posted:

The problem with that is Laura is a doubled-X clone of Logan (who's XY), which is why she's female. Of course, in ducks, like in other birds, the MALE is homomorphic for the sex chromosome and the female is heteromorphic! So where did her W chromosome come from? Wait.. W for Webby?

It's possible that in this thread that is dedicated to the appreciation if not worship of cartoon ducks you're thinking a little too much about cartoon ducks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Bluray of the entire series ala Gravity Falls when?

(Also, are spoiler tags still needed when the show's over?)

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Just give me a goddamned Manny spinoff. Perhaps with a group of likemind manhorses. And they live in an old Scottish Castle that is ontop of a Manhatten skyscraper.

The main villain is played by Jonathan Frakes, and he just stumbles in drunk and asks them weird questions.

Straight Outta CompUSA
Sep 29, 2004

THAT'S NOT A BALD SPOT!! that's just where my cat was eating my dandruff
God drat that finale was just the greatest, I can't get over it! I'm a huge fan of the Barks and Rosa comics but the way this show builds on those is so phenomenal. Della and Webby especially are too good for this to be it I really hope theses versions make it into the broader canon for good akd I'm so bummed I can't get a Della action figure yet.

We've been watching Tangled the series with my girls but I just orderee the first three volumes of IDW Ducktales comics and I'm gonna push to start this show next. I can't wait to watch it all over again.

Are the comics still ongoing? Any chance we can keep getting more stories that carry on beyond the finale??

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Straight Outta CompUSA posted:

God drat that finale was just the greatest, I can't get over it! I'm a huge fan of the Barks and Rosa comics but the way this show builds on those is so phenomenal. Della and Webby especially are too good for this to be it I really hope theses versions make it into the broader canon for good akd I'm so bummed I can't get a Della action figure yet.

We've been watching Tangled the series with my girls but I just orderee the first three volumes of IDW Ducktales comics and I'm gonna push to start this show next. I can't wait to watch it all over again.

Are the comics still ongoing? Any chance we can keep getting more stories that carry on beyond the finale??

Good news, they announced an in-universe podcast hosted by Huey!

Trailer for it

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Test Pattern posted:

The problem with that is Laura is a doubled-X clone of Logan (who's XY), which is why she's female. Of course, in ducks, like in other birds, the MALE is homomorphic for the sex chromosome and the female is heteromorphic! So where did her W chromosome come from? Wait.. W for Webby?

they later retconned Laura to not be a full clone of Logan, having her instead be a test tube baby formed from the genetic materials of Logan and the scientist who created and raised her

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
How come at no point in the series did they have Huey, Dewie and Louie do a "Go Team Venture" move?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Applewhite posted:

How come at no point in the series did they have Huey, Dewie and Louie do a "Go Team Venture" move?

Clearly the triplets shouldn't do a "Go Team Venture" move.

They should Dew a "Go Team Venture" move.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The climax isn't subtle about Bradford having descended into cartoon supervillainy despite constantly denying it. Black Heron outright dying with a smile on her beak because she succeeded in what she'd been doing for over half a century- turning Bradford into the supervillain she thought he always had the potential to be. The entire history of FOWL is implied to have been a back and forth between the two of them, but while Bradford may have succeeded in gaining power, Black Heron ultimately influenced his way of thinking and acting- and him disposing of her is the kind of thing she approves of.

Actually, it puts a lot of Black Heron's activities in a new light, considering. Deliberately bungling the rescue by showing up in a FOWL-branded helicopter basically pushed Bradford into giving up the charade and accelerating his plans...

Yeah, as it turns out Black Heron was actually the real villain of the show all along and nobody realized it until after she died.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ooof when Bradford is talking about isolating Scrooge there's a cut of Scrooge being chummy with Duckworth and Bradford looking at the two and then a cut to Scrooge mourning Duckworth's death. Bradford killed him.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Applewhite posted:

Maybe if they were more like their classic versions. It's usually hard enough to get two out of three to align under a similar cause and motivation. Getting all three is basically impossible.
The girls otoh are basically three birds of a feather.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Everyone posted:

Clearly the triplets shouldn't do a "Go Team Venture" move.

They should Dew a "Go Team Venture" move.

:hmmyes:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

MikeJF posted:

Ooof when Bradford is talking about isolating Scrooge there's a cut of Scrooge being chummy with Duckworth and Bradford looking at the two and then a cut to Scrooge mourning Duckworth's death. Bradford killed him.

Bradford murdered so many people, and he wanted to murder even more.

Dude was next level evil, not fun Flintheart Glomgold, he was an actual serial killer.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Dude was next level evil, not fun Flintheart Glomgold, he was an actual serial killer.

Which is saying something because I bet Glomgold’s personal body count is gigantic.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Maybe technically, but ultimately he's a basic corporate/criminal boss type. He removes targets that he sees as potentially threatening his goals.

If Bradford had access to some FOWL version of Rick and Morty's Interdimensional TV, he'd been watching Captain America: The Winter Soldier get to the part about the Murder Carriers, pause it and call in some FOWL scientists to do a feasibility study on implementing them.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Everyone posted:

It's possible that in this thread that is dedicated to the appreciation if not worship of cartoon ducks you're thinking a little too much about cartoon ducks.

Probably, but it probably also has a lot to do with the ongoing Bio AP livestream in the next room covering that earlier in the month.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Everyone posted:

Maybe technically, but ultimately he's a basic corporate/criminal boss type. He removes targets that he sees as potentially threatening his goals.

If Bradford had access to some FOWL version of Rick and Morty's Interdimensional TV, he'd been watching Captain America: The Winter Soldier get to the part about the Murder Carriers, pause it and call in some FOWL scientists to do a feasibility study on implementing them.

The initial FOWL reveal, with a bunch of existing characters turning out to be members, is basically a way better accomplished version of the HYDRA reveal.

Comes to mind: Mark Beaks not even being one of the FOWL prisoners, iirc, seems like the ultimate insult to injury given his last episode showed him being thoroughly humiliated and being a media laughing stock. (Though I mighta just missed him among the ten zillion cameos)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The initial FOWL reveal, with a bunch of existing characters turning out to be members, is basically a way better accomplished version of the HYDRA reveal.

Comes to mind: Mark Beaks not even being one of the FOWL prisoners, iirc, seems like the ultimate insult to injury given his last episode showed him being thoroughly humiliated and being a media laughing stock. (Though I mighta just missed him among the ten zillion cameos)

Beaks is also very pointedly missing from the shot of Scrooge’s REAL Villains triumphing over Bradford’s wannabe rear end in the end, for what that’s worth too.

Seluin
Jan 4, 2004

I want to take a moment to remind everyone of the greatest video: https://youtu.be/jHpn8JFO1ZM

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Seluin posted:

I want to take a moment to remind everyone of the greatest video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1jKTS-S6ps

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Seluin posted:

I want to take a moment to remind everyone of the greatest video: https://youtu.be/jHpn8JFO1ZM

I'll see your video and raise you this one: https://youtu.be/0QSuijn47o0

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

Beaks is also very pointedly missing from the shot of Scrooge’s REAL Villains triumphing over Bradford’s wannabe rear end in the end, for what that’s worth too.

I forget, was Beaks even in the finale?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Seluin posted:

I want to take a moment to remind everyone of the greatest video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6UXdh6E5Lg

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Seluin posted:

I want to take a moment to remind everyone of the greatest video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xm8WmiKj5go

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

nine-gear crow posted:

That said, Beaks kind of actually hasn't been presented as a rival to Scrooge in particular in most of his own focus episodes. Not sure if it was on purpose, but he seemed to turn into a general tech bro rival and antagonist to Scrooge's R&D department in general, and Gizmoduck in particular. Makes sense though, since he and Scrooge don't really have any mutual interests that they could engage in a meaningful personal contest over.

And calling Bradford a wannabe is kinda the total opposite; if anything they only seem disappointed that Bradford couldn't own up to being a supervillain when he is an absolute hell of a one, and probably came the closest any of Scrooge's foes have to total victory. S'probably why Magica spared him, in a way.

Speaking of, Magica's backstory does quite a ways to explaining why her magic is so relatively weak and unreliable without the right conditions and tools, despite her being probably the best in the business: she's one half of a pair, and a loose end without Poe, especially given the implication he was the brains and finesse of the duo. (The similarity to Donald and Della is probably intentional)

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 24, 2021

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Sorry, who's supposed to be the brain and finesse there, Donald "Norse Berserkers tell him to chill" Duck or Della "I stole a spaceship and got stranded on the Moon" Duck?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Did we ever get a reason why Magica was stuck in the Shadow Dimension to begin with?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

maltesh posted:

Did we ever get a reason why Magica was stuck in the Shadow Dimension to begin with?

I seem to recall a backlash from a spell bouncing on the n° 1 Dime during a previous encounter.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Omobono posted:

I seem to recall a backlash from a spell bouncing on the n° 1 Dime during a previous encounter.

Yeah, the whole season 1 arc was about her getting the dime not because it would amplify her powers, but because it was the catalyst for getting her physical body back. With that out of the way, she then did to Scooge what she was going to do originally on Mt. Vesuvius has the dime not hosed that all up for her.

Though she was probably only stuck in there for like 20 years at the most, if even, if Donald knew who she was and just what sort of threat she posed.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Wasn't it 15 years cause that's how old Lena was?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Mark Beaks is a con-artist/failed businessbird. Those types are common as dirt in the business world so Bradford was fine with him remaining in the world. Going forward (assuming Bradford had succeeded) had Beaks caused trouble for Bradford, Bradford would have had some completely mundane goons/killers go kill Beaks in a completely mundane way.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Omobono posted:

Sorry, who's supposed to be the brain and finesse there, Donald "Norse Berserkers tell him to chill" Duck or Della "I stole a spaceship and got stranded on the Moon" Duck?

To borrow a quote from an old show they're "Two Halves of a Whole Idiot"

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Donald somehow managed to raise three kids on a boat while likely going from job to job (which he loses and gains in hilarious and slapstick-laden fashions.)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Omobono posted:

Sorry, who's supposed to be the brain and finesse there, Donald "stapled himself to a wall once" Duck or Della "lost a one-player game of tic-tac-toe" Duck?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

nine-gear crow posted:

I feel like Beaks is more of a villain for the kids and Gizmoduck than Scrooge.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
Not enough love for Webby realizing her true parentage with "Bless me bagpipes."

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

I feel like Beaks is more of a villain for the kids and Gizmoduck than Scrooge.

I forget, did Beaks ever even directly interact with Scrooge during most of the series?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I think the closest would be the murder mystery episode

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I think the closest would be the murder mystery episode

Even then I think Scrooge snuck out halfway through the episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Larryb posted:

I forget, did Beaks ever even directly interact with Scrooge during most of the series?

Beaks crashes the Duckburg Billionaires Club in his debut episode and is so utterly insufferable that Glomgold successfully sells Scrooge on a scheme to literally murder him and is only undone by Glomgold accidentally revealing that he planned to murder Scrooge as well once Beaks was dead.