Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Judakel posted:

No, I don't think so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdd6_ZxX8c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
That loving bit where Steppenwolf grabs Cyborg and Wonder Woman makes a shockwave that collapses the bridge they're all standing on and they fall to the floor and Cyborg immediately flies back up and Steppenwolf jumps after him but Wonder Woman gets him with the lasso and she and Aquaman pull him down so he lays them out and jumps back up to get Cyborg and he swings his axe and it hits SUPERMAN WHO SUDDENLY APPEARED OUT OF NOWHERE

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

2house2fly posted:

That loving bit where Steppenwolf grabs Cyborg and Wonder Woman makes a shockwave [ancient lamentation music] that collapses the bridge they're all standing on and they fall to the floor and Cyborg immediately flies back up and Steppenwolf jumps after him but Wonder Woman gets him with the lasso [ancient lamentation music] and she and Aquaman pull him down so he lays them out and jumps back up to get Cyborg and he swings his axe and it hits SUPERMAN WHO SUDDENLY APPEARED OUT OF NOWHERE

There, I made this post more correct as to some people's subtitle settings.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Judakel posted:

That's great, but Snyder's cut is self-indulgent

That's a feature, not a bug.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Burkion posted:

It's literally called Zack Snyder's Justice League

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

LesterGroans posted:

I was just about to reply with this, but then you did on the next page. Nice.

[edit] Also, I'm CLEARLY biased, but it's hard for me to accept anyone thinking the second half of ZSJL (minus the epilogue), is like bad cinema. Flash ripping back through time is, in my opinion, arguably the most beautifully photographed CG set piece in any genre film, let alone the superhero movie genre, and the back half of ZSJL being capped off with it is just pure comic book-y movie goodness. It is by far and away, THE superhero scene I will now refer to when discussing what is the best superhero movie scene that really "gets" that feeling of superheroics. What grabs me about the sequence is that, despite its massive scale in context of the narrative, it also manages to feel very intimate by propping up Barry's relationship with his father in such a way that elevates the drama surrounding both the character and the current stakes. It owns so hard.

teagone fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Mar 23, 2021

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Once Lois opened the drawer I was hooting and hollering for the entire rest of the movie just yelling at my tv at what I was seeing because it all rocked

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Burkion posted:

If you're David Lean, yes. If you're Zack Snyder, you might need to exercise self-control.

LesterGroans posted:

That doesn't make it better.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Judakel posted:

If you're David Lean, yes. If you're Zack Snyder, you might need to exercise self-control.

Hmmm

Nah, actually

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Judakel posted:

Zack likely isn't going to be directing any new DC films for WB, and had the greenlight (mostly) to do whatever he wanted for ZSJL. Why the gently caress would he exercise self-control in that regard? Lol. It's not like Snyder is known for showing restraint, even when being kneecapped by studio notes.

teagone fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Mar 23, 2021

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Flash scene is very well done but I don't think it would make my top three superhero scenes. Admittedly that is because two of them from Spiderverse and the other is from Man of Steel but still. It's easily the best shot in the movie but I genuinely think Snyder did so much better in Man of Steel with almost everything and Spiderverse is about as close as I can imagine to a perfect comic book movie in every way shape and form.

I ended up watching it again with a friend and I honestly think it holds up more poorly on a second watch. The length really shows there. In comparison I think Man of Steel holds up just as well if not better on repeat viewings. Snyder Cut is just too long and too unfocused and too bloated for its own good. It's Snyder doing what he wanted to do without any limiters but I think he's much better when he has at least some limitations.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Mar 23, 2021

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

The Flash scene is very well done but I don't think it would make my top three superhero scenes. Admittedly that is because two of them from Spiderverse and the other is from Man of Steel but still. It's easily the best shot in the movie but I genuinely think Snyder did so much better in Man of Steel with almost everything and Spiderverse is about as close as I can imagine to a perfect comic book movie in every way shape and form.

It's a combination of the scope of the sequence, how we've perceived Barry through each of his character moments, and the beautiful dialogue and music that just hits me real hard. The only sequence that had grabbed me with that particular feeling of raw "superheroism" was seeing Parker hold back the train in Spider-Man 2 using what strength he had. The Flash scene invokes that same feeling in me, but like on a scale that's infinitely larger lol.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I watched JL 3 times and never found the pacing to be a bother.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Judakel posted:

That doesn't make it better.

But it makes it obvious. I don't know what you expected when you watched a four hour movie called Zack Snyder's Justice League, but you probably should have expected some self-indulgence.

Roth posted:

I watched JL 3 times and never found the pacing to be a bother.

I was surprised how quickly it seemed to fly by.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

teagone posted:

It's a combination of the scope of the sequence, how we've perceived Barry through each of his character moments, and the beautiful dialogue and music that just hits me real hard. The only sequence that had grabbed me with that particular feeling of raw "superheroism" was seeing Parker hold back the train in Spider-Man 2 using what strength he had. The Flash scene invokes that same feeling in me, but like on a scale that's infinitely larger lol.

Yeah, the Spider-Man 2 scene is my #4 though with the admitted bias of nostalgia. My #1 is always going to be "What's Up Danger" though is so exceptional I can watch it divorced of the rest of the movie and still find it breathtaking. I admit I am very prone towards the scenes of someone standing up and proving themselves taller which is why I rank the Flash scene as highly as I do. They matter to me infinitely more than how good someone is at fighting whatever CGI blob monster they're using for the end boss in (x) film.

Admittedly I am also someone who had zero problem with Superman Returns not having Superman punching anyone. (though of course the movie is retroactively tainted into unwatchability.)

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Bryan Singer and Kevin Spacey sure is a thing

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

teagone posted:

I was just about to reply with this, but then you did on the next page. Nice.

[edit] Also, I'm CLEARLY biased, but it's hard for me to accept anyone thinking the second half of ZSJL (minus the epilogue), is like bad cinema. Flash ripping back through time is, in my opinion, arguably the most beautifully photographed CG set piece in any genre film, let alone the superhero movie genre, and the back half of ZSJL being capped off with it is just pure comic book-y movie goodness. It is by far and away, THE superhero scene I will now refer to when discussing what is the best superhero movie scene that really "gets" that feeling of superheroics. What grabs me about the sequence is that, despite its massive scale in context of the narrative, it also manages to feel very intimate by propping up Barry's relationship with his father in such a way that elevates the drama surrounding both the character and the current stakes. It owns so hard.

That scene is incredible. Sublime.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

teagone posted:

Also, I'm CLEARLY biased, but it's hard for me to accept anyone thinking the second half of ZSJL (minus the epilogue), is like bad cinema. Flash ripping back through time is, in my opinion, arguably the most beautifully photographed CG set piece in any genre film, let alone the superhero movie genre, and the back half of ZSJL being capped off with it is just pure comic book-y movie goodness. It is by far and away, THE superhero scene I will now refer to when discussing what is the best superhero movie scene that really "gets" that feeling of superheroics. What grabs me about the sequence is that, despite its massive scale in context of the narrative, it also manages to feel very intimate by propping up Barry's relationship with his father in such a way that elevates the drama surrounding both the character and the current stakes. It owns so hard.

Yeah, it's something else. I think, ironically, Doctor Manhattan's origin in Watchmen would be my go-to "comic book moment done right" in a film, but this scene may have surpassed it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

I have quoted the relevant information you have given me about your feelings on Zack Snyder's Justice League.

I trust I have left nothing out, everything of import has been categorized and noted. I shall review this quote hence forth any time you have anything to say on the matter to judge how seriously I should take your opinion on this or any piece of cinema going forward.

Have a good day.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Zodiac Job Justice LEague.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The insane ponderous length of Snyder Cut is what makes it genuinely experimental.

Like, the thing to keep in mind is that, back before BVS’s release, Justice League was going to be a very different film - probably much closer in tone and content to BVS. Parademons were going to be xenomorphized humans, for example.

As with Suicide Squad, of course, the studio stepped in and demanded something that was ultimately not hugely dissimilar to, like, Guardians Of The Galaxy.

So there is a grain of truth to claims that this is not Snyder’s “original vision.” Going back the original plan would have meant reshooting the whole film a third time.

Instead, Snyder’s objective with the Snyder Cut is clearly to take this GOTG narrative and make it as weird as humanly possible. That’s the explanation for the 4:3 ratio, the upcoming black-and-white version, and the reincorporation of like every single ‘deleted scene’.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Yeah, it's really more like a "gently caress it, why not?" version

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

teagone posted:

Zack likely isn't going to be directing any new DC films for WB, and had the greenlight (mostly) to do whatever he wanted for ZSJL. Why the gently caress would he exercise self-control in that regard? Lol. It's not like Snyder is known for showing restraint, even when being kneecapped by studio notes.

Because when he doesn't, the end-product is mediocre. His best movie is still Dawn of the Dead.

LesterGroans posted:

But it makes it obvious. I don't know what you expected when you watched a four hour movie called Zack Snyder's Justice League, but you probably should have expected some self-indulgence.

I expected what I got and I am telling you how I feel about it.

Burkion posted:

I have quoted the relevant information you have given me about your feelings on Zack Snyder's Justice League.

I trust I have left nothing out, everything of import has been categorized and noted. I shall review this quote hence forth any time you have anything to say on the matter to judge how seriously I should take your opinion on this or any piece of cinema going forward.

Have a good day.

If you'd like to grow your tastes, I can recommend some movies to you.

Judakel fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Mar 23, 2021

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
A lot of people saying "four hours is too long" and then also suggesting that DC should have done what Marvel did, i.e., release MORE movies first before doing a team up, therefore what they are actually saying is "four hours is too short".

Instead we get, what, three scenes with Barry before things get going: an introduction to his powers and a (future) love interest, a scene with his dad in prison, and the recruitment scene with Bruce. It's perfectly elegant in how economical it is, and we don't actually need a laborious two hour movie telling us how he managed to become Fast Man.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnkgeODv4F8

And that's how baby yoda is an avenger

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I will say the decision to make the New Gods weird video game aliens and to have Darkseid show up and not have a monologue ready is a profound failure of imagination on the part of Zack Snyder.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

People are apparently upset that hbomberguy loves the Snyder Cut. This is so hilarious to me. Probably because I know he's been a Snyder fan for years. Particularly when he praised it for being unashamed of being a comic book, or that it was "about something" unlike Avengers.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Judakel posted:

I expected what I got and I am telling you how I feel about it.

I mean, not really though.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Mulva posted:

I will say the decision to make the New Gods weird video game aliens and to have Darkseid show up and not have a monologue ready is a profound failure of imagination on the part of Zack Snyder.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyUgvEVj73s

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Come to think of it, Darkseid probably owes a lot to Sauron, the 'industrialised hellwar' aesthetic as well as being a dark lord in search of a macguffin to grant him the peak of his power.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Come to think of it, Darkseid probably owes a lot to Sauron, the 'industrialised hellwar' aesthetic as well as being a dark lord in search of a macguffin to grant him the peak of his power.

Yeah, the ZSJL picks up on that with, among other things, a guy wearing a magic ring which is the source of his power gets his fingers severed in a glancing blow. But this time it's the Sauron figure doing the amputation, neat little homage and reversal.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
The fact people could look at this movie and think of Darkseid as a Sauron figure just brings me back to how utterly loving wasted the New Gods were in this movie. Which is a shame, because I doubt anyone is going to jump back in that pool inside my lifetime.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They could’ve done cool things with them. But everyone hated Zack Snyder’s take so now we will get quip gods written by JJ Abrams

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

LesterGroans posted:

Yeah, it's really more like a "gently caress it, why not?" version

Which really isn't that bad an idea for an action/superhero movie. It might not make something a "good" movie, but it could at least make it a more interesting one. And interesting is still good.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Mar 23, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mulva posted:

The fact people could look at this movie and think of Darkseid as a Sauron figure just brings me back to how utterly loving wasted the New Gods were in this movie. Which is a shame, because I doubt anyone is going to jump back in that pool inside my lifetime.

I will admit I haven't actually seen the movie yet, I'm just going off my other experiences with the character. (I'm Australian, have no loving idea what they expect me to do to see it legit)

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Mulva posted:

Ava Duvernay and Tom King is writing one.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

teagone posted:

Superman in the gravity beam for me (though all the examples posted are legit amazing)

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Barry Foster posted:

Superman in the gravity beam for me (though all the examples posted are legit amazing)

While it was clearly a deliberate call-back to a scene from the comic, I liked the bit in Spider-Man: Homecoming with Peter in his original crappy "onesie" costume trying to get from under the rubble.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Barry Foster posted:

Such a great moment. I love the details of that sequence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

The MSJ posted:

Ava Duvernay and Tom King is writing one.

I....totally forget a New Gods movie was announced a few years ago. Ok, I take it back. Maybe someone could salvage something from this, and at least there is a chance.