Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

CelticPredator posted:

They could’ve done cool things with them. But everyone hated Zack Snyder’s take so now we will get quip gods written by JJ Abrams

But at least we will get a movie where the heroes and villains run the gently caress hard on screen while lens flares burst because JJ knows only 1 way to create tension and is limited. I hope they get Tom Cruise to map Darksied’s run hard as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Mulva posted:

The fact people could look at this movie and think of Darkseid as a Sauron figure just brings me back to how utterly loving wasted the New Gods were in this movie. Which is a shame, because I doubt anyone is going to jump back in that pool inside my lifetime.

“But the comics!” stuff is boring. In this film, Darkside is specifically ‘just’ a figure from the Amazonian faith. This means the film is about the induction of the various characters into that specific form of Zeus-worship, which produces a certain level of tension between Diana’s pre-Christian version of the apocalypse and what Wayne believes.

(Steppenwolf, for his part, is just some kind of alien - but he’s specifically the Amazonian equivalent of a satanist. His teleportation and blade-suit are a newfangled approximation of “the old ways”.)

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

LesterGroans posted:

I mean, not really though.

I could not be clearer, but I am definitely not being as verbose as you'd like.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

“But the comics!” stuff is boring.

Yeah, I know I was enthralled when generic CGI man 241 showed up, went "Rrgh, *grunt*, Awwww!" and then got the poo poo kicked out of him. Or when he stood around and made generic evil boss speeches.

There's doing your own thing, and then there's doing nothing. Nothing interesting was done with Darkseid, and only the tiniest bit was done with Steppenwolf. And nothing that was done with him necessitated him also being a CGI man. And there was no reason to have the generic army scene with a bunch of faceless parademons at the end to make it extra forgettable. Snyder did all sorts of changes to characters for his movies, and most of them are perfectly fine changes that suit the story he was trying to tell. This didn't.

It was just bland and safe and rote. That's it. He followed the standard CGI bad guy handbook. It had nothing to say, it lacked any real visual flare, all of it just sort of existed.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Mulva posted:

Yeah, I know I was enthralled when generic CGI man 241 showed up, went "Rrgh, *grunt*, Awwww!" and then got the poo poo kicked out of him. Or when he stood around and made generic evil boss speeches.

There's doing your own thing, and then there's doing nothing. Nothing interesting was done with Darkseid, and only the tiniest bit was done with Steppenwolf. And nothing that was done with him necessitated him also being a CGI man. And there was no reason to have the generic army scene with a bunch of faceless parademons at the end to make it extra forgettable. Snyder did all sorts of changes to characters for his movies, and most of them are perfectly fine changes that suit the story he was trying to tell. This didn't.

It was just bland and safe and rote. That's it. He followed the standard CGI bad guy handbook. It had nothing to say, it lacked any real visual flare, all of it just sort of existed.

Except, you know, becoming a full fledged character with a huge arc and getting some audience members to even sympathize with him near the end when he just wanted to go home. Steppenwolf is one of the bigger upgrades and voice acted so well by Ciaran Hinds. He's intimidating in most of his scenes until he gets to Superman.

This was just our first glimpse at Darkseid anyways - unfortunately the poo poo for brains at WB decided they don't want more of this. It's similar to how we got a little peek at Thanos in Avengers and GoTG. We don't know much but he seems pissed. And if you know the comics you know how big of a deal that character is but it's not needed for the movies. You can just tell.

But there is a lot of interesting done with him - we see he commands a giant army, we see he almost conquered earth, we figure out his motivation for wanting to come back (anti-life equation) and he's again, very intimidating. He just crushes his lackeys head under his boot without a care in the world.

The issue is that you didn't engage with it. You flipped it off. That's on you. Not the film as tons of others actually engaged with and can see how much better these villains are. The potential for all this is right there in front of your face.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Mulva posted:

I....totally forget a New Gods movie was announced a few years ago. Ok, I take it back. Maybe someone could salvage something from this, and at least there is a chance.

Those two are the last people I want doing a New Gods movie.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/NadriaTucker/status/1374364620182351876

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Disney apparently caved on holding out Widow for theater release

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Vintersorg posted:

Except, you know, becoming a full fledged character with a huge arc

He has sad puppy eyes and wants to go home. That's not a huge arc. That's literally all of it. It's something though, yeah. Which is why I rated him higher than Darkseid, but he still didn't need to be a CGI man.

quote:

It's similar to how we got a little peek at Thanos in Avengers and GoTG.

And I'd argue moment for moment they did more to characterize Thanos, and they do almost nothing with him there. One line and a smug grin is at least a thing.

quote:

But there is a lot of interesting done with him - we see he commands a giant army, we see he almost conquered earth, we figure out his motivation for wanting to come back (anti-life equation) and he's again, very intimidating. He just crushes his lackeys head under his boot without a care in the world.

Again, that's the playbook. That's the generic rote script of how these things go, it's the opposite of interesting. It's literally what they did with Thanos in Avengers, to call back the last reference to a different work that exists in your own post. Not like we had to go far to find how cliche it is.

quote:

The issue is that you didn't engage with it. You flipped it off. That's on you. Not the film as tons of others actually engaged with and can see how much better these villains are. The potential for all this is right there in front of your face.

Nah it's hack line filling.

Like the only thing it's better than is the original cut of JL, which is like....the lowest loving possible bar to clear. It's still possibly the weakest character choices Snyder made in all his films. Or can you think of something worse? What is your worst character decision Snyder made in his films?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

MacheteZombie posted:

Source?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

MacheteZombie posted:

Somehow the funniest part of the newest slate juggling is that The King's Man has now been given its 7th release date of December 22nd meaning it will come out more than 2 years after it's original slated date

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1374434035296968704

quote:

Natasha Romanoff will be back in action in Marvel Studios’ Black Widow with a new release date of July 9, 2021. The action and adventure continues with the first film from Phase 4 of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, both in theaters and on Disney+, releasing simultaneously with Premier Access.

$30 to rent.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I imagine they'll either do it as a one off and never again, or the sales will be so phenomenal they'll decide it's actually more profitable to release all future MCU movies that way.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

This is great news. Thanks for the link/info. I'm going to watch this from home even if I'm already vaccinated for weeks at that point.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

thrawn527 posted:

$30 to rent.

It's not really renting if you get to watch it as many times as you want forever.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

stev posted:

It's not really renting if you get to watch it as many times as you want forever.

Pretty sure it deletes itself after a day or two, doesn't it? Other articles are calling it a "rental fee", and I'm pretty sure that's how it's worked for similar situations in the past (Mulan might have been different).

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

stev posted:

Wouldn't you still need a Disney + sub to access it? If you buy a premier access movie on Disney + and let the sub lapse, I assume you can no longer access the movie.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

stev posted:

Premier Access is the new PPV.

Spacebump posted:

Wouldn't you still need a Disney + sub to access it? If you buy a premier access movie on Disney + and let the sub lapse, I assume you can no longer access the movie.

Yes. It's the modern day equivalent of when you had to like call up your cable provider for a PPV boxing event or whatever and have them charge you whatever fees on your next bill.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

teagone posted:

Premier Access is the new PPV.

Correct, this is exactly how it is structured.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

thrawn527 posted:

Pretty sure it deletes itself after a day or two, doesn't it? Other articles are calling it a "rental fee", and I'm pretty sure that's how it's worked for similar situations in the past (Mulan might have been different).

This is the store page description if the last thing to go up on there:

Disney posted:

Starting 5th March, with Premier Access, you can watch Raya and the Last Dragon before it's available to all Disney+ subscribers or anywhere else. Disney+ will offer Premier Access to Raya and the Last Dragon for £19.99 on disneyplus.com and in the Disney+ app on select platforms, including Apple, Google, Amazon, and Roku. The Premier Access offer will be available until 5th May 2021 at 07:59 GMT. Once you have Premier Access to Raya and the Last Dragon, you can watch as many times as you want on any platform where Disney+ is available. Your access to Raya and the Last Dragon will continue as long as you are an active Disney+ subscriber. Raya and the Last Dragon will be available to all Disney+ subscribers on 4th June 2021 for no additional cost.

So you do need to keep your sub but it's unlimited streaming. Which is fine as an option I guess. Better than forcing people to go to the cinema and catch the plague.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

stev posted:

This is the store page description if the last thing to go up on there:

So you do need to keep your sub but it's unlimited streaming. Which is fine as an option I guess. Better than forcing people to go to the cinema and catch the plague.

Oh. Well then my mistake.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Know what else you could do?

Just make it available to people who have a subscription

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Big comic book movies cannot be profitable if the future is streaming, but cheaper serialized content can. They really had no choice with this, but I wouldn't be surprised if everything they have on the slate flops unless people return to movie theaters soon.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Burkion posted:

And miss out on even more money???!!!

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Burkion posted:

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
They want to make money though

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Piell posted:

They want to make more money though

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

They want to replicate the revenue generated through theatrical releases. This is just the middle ground before cinemas die off completely and the budgets of all films are cut in half.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Venom 2 is coming out a couple weeks after Shang Chi. September is to be fun.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I'd like to see a Batman Movie about the Court of Owls and the Demonic Bat God under Gotham. That seems like it could be a fun set-up with Batman fighting the causes of the issues in Gotham (rich people who want it to suck, literal super-natural madness leading to super-criminals).

You could get a bit meta with it because these are also kind of both about keeping the status quo of Gotham, which is what the comics demand with every reset because that's what people want to write, their version of the Batman story.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

I'd like to see a Batman Movie about the Court of Owls and the Demonic Bat God under Gotham. That seems like it could be a fun set-up with Batman fighting the causes of the issues in Gotham (rich people who want it to suck, literal super-natural madness leading to super-criminals).

You could get a bit meta with it because these are also kind of both about keeping the status quo of Gotham, which is what the comics demand with every reset because that's what people want to write, their version of the Batman story.

I wouldn't hold my breath for Barbatos but there's already some speculation that The Batman will touch on The Court Of Owls based on some promotional talk about "the true history of Gotham".

I'm all for it as it's something completely new for a Batman movie and also The Court Of Owls are a great idea

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I'd like a Batman movie where he actually does detectiving. Like solves mysteries and stuff

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

A film noir Batman period piece would actually be a nice 4:3 companion to Justice League.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I want to see Batman punch someone

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

2house2fly posted:

I'd like a Batman movie where he actually does detectiving. Like solves mysteries and stuff

Yeah that'd be nice.

The problem with fighting super villains is that even the ones that try to be tricky, they still gotta loving throw their brand everywhere. There's not a lot of mystery about the Riddler being involved no matter what dumb riddles he's left

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Shang Chi won't have the guts to say the protagonist's father is Fu Manchu.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

2house2fly posted:

I really want a Batman movie that is a one-crazy-night style caper.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

MonsieurChoc posted:

Shang Chi won't have the guts (AKA Disney's access to the rights to the Fu Manchu character) to say the protagonist's father is Fu Manchu.

Clarified that for you.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Wait a sec. How the hell is Fu Manchu not public domain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Wait a sec. How the hell is Fu Manchu not public domain?

Copyrights magic.