Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Man, just thinkin' about Conroy's delivery and I hit myself with the "Harvey... No..." :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

hiddenriverninja posted:

I thought it was because Conroy was having medical issues with his throat.

I find that unlikely because A) He's still doing the voice 30 years later, and 2) the 'Bruce' voice is way closer to his real one

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Skwirl posted:

That's some loving deep storytelling you absolutely wouldn't need to do if you're just making a cartoon for kids.
Yeah, even as a kid I noticed that the Bruce Voice was more suave, higher register, and kind of fake and gladhandy.

I was like "but that's a fake voice his real voice is Batman voice!"

I think the Alfred Voice is best seen when he's talking about the HARDAC robots and mentions the soul of silicon. It's like a halfway point between the Bat/Bruce voices.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Skwirl posted:

s01e16 "Eternal Youth" is the episode I'm watching that made me realize this, for anyone who wants to check it out. Poison Ivy is turning corporate executives who profit off destroying the environment into trees, so I don't actually have a problem with the gist of her plan, Alfred get's wrapped up in it and that's the sole reason I'm rooting (no pun intended) for Batman.

"I'm not a supervillain. I identify as an ecoterrorist."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

FilthyImp posted:

Yeah, even as a kid I noticed that the Bruce Voice was more suave, higher register, and kind of fake and gladhandy.

I was like "but that's a fake voice his real voice is Batman voice!"

Young Filthyimp was wise.

"In my head, [Bruce] is not what I call myself."

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
On that note, I do like that Will Friedle also has a 'Batman' voice for Terry.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gaz-L posted:

On that note, I do like that Will Friedle also has a 'Batman' voice for Terry.

But unlike Bruce, he's Terry first. :unsmith:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Finally getting around to watching season 3 of Young Justice. I've heard a lot of the complaints from when it first came out, but no one told me they didn't get Tim Curry back as G. Gordon Godfrey! :(

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

AlternateNu posted:

Finally getting around to watching season 3 of Young Justice. I've heard a lot of the complaints from when it first came out, but no one told me they didn't get Tim Curry back as G. Gordon Godfrey! :(

Yeah. He had a stroke :(

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Lurdiak posted:

But unlike Bruce, he's Terry first. :unsmith:

My favorite example of this is from the movie where he switches to his Terry voice while ragging on the Joker.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

hiddenriverninja posted:

My favorite example of this is from the movie where he switches to his Terry voice while ragging on the Joker.

"I thought the Joker always wanted to make Batman laugh!"

That entire scene is so good.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

"I thought the Joker always wanted to make Batman laugh!"

That entire scene is so good.

The laughter from the darkness is the thing that makes it so very clear that Joker's whiny "You're not Batman" isn't true anymore, if it ever was. (Also one of the most memorable and disconcerting moments from the DCAU is Bruce laughing at Harley in the cowl, from Mad Love)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'm watching Superman TAS and I swear to god all these cars are drawn by people who've only ever had one described to them, never seen one in real life.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

I'm watching Superman TAS and I swear to god all these cars are drawn by people who've only ever had one described to them, never seen one in real life.

Everyone in Metropolis is driving the cybertruck.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

Everyone in Metropolis is driving the cybertruck.

Lois Lane has her god drat steering wheel in the exact center of her car.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

I love S:TAS but there's a lot of its design that makes me question what in the world they were thinking.

(also you can really tell what an idyllic world Metropolis is when they show newspaper reporter Clark Kent's apartment and it's loving enormous)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
They were going for art deco futurism.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's like how Gotham has tommy guns, blimps, and police APCs that look like old radios, and the entire city is weirdly stylized to look old, even the fancy advanced computers that'll have vaccuum tubes, reel-to-reel tapes, and greyscale monitors. Metropolis has a whole retro-future deal going on that I think is best embodied in how the Daily Planet has computers that are somehow integrated into the desks and monitors that are skinny ovals that apparently take command line inputs.

I think there's also a whole subtext where the proliferation of advanced superweapons has just plain outpaced what law enforcement can handle, so there's a definite need for Superman beyond there just being too much crime. Sometimes there's an explanation like with Luthor and Darkseid, but sometimes there's just a group of bankrobbers with lasers and hovercars.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I just think the cars are poorly referenced and shoddily drawn, like a lot of the incidental art on that show past the first five episodes.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AlternateNu posted:

Curry is not in the best health right now. I personally quite enjoyed Season 3 myself.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
After watching Scanners I decided to watch some Beware the Batman. I saw episode 1 a long time ago so I rewatched it and then watched the next one (well, watched the second one and then rewatched the first one), and it seems pretty decent so far? Certainly not "blaze through the last of our contractually obligated episodes in a 2 hour block at 3AM" bad. The animation seems pretty smooth, I've liked all three villains I've seen and I like that we're seeing some lesser known ones, some of the character designs are kinda odd but it feels like it mostly works.

I wish HBO Max had some of the older shows, they have Aquaman from the '60s but I'd like to see some of the older Batman and Superman shows. Hell, they don't even have Super Friends on there.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

catlord posted:

After watching Scanners I decided to watch some Beware the Batman. I saw episode 1 a long time ago so I rewatched it and then watched the next one (well, watched the second one and then rewatched the first one), and it seems pretty decent so far? Certainly not "blaze through the last of our contractually obligated episodes in a 2 hour block at 3AM" bad. The animation seems pretty smooth, I've liked all three villains I've seen and I like that we're seeing some lesser known ones, some of the character designs are kinda odd but it feels like it mostly works.

I wish HBO Max had some of the older shows, they have Aquaman from the '60s but I'd like to see some of the older Batman and Superman shows. Hell, they don't even have Super Friends on there.

To be fair, the intent wasn't so malicious. IIRC the timeline was that it got pulled from regular CN like halfway through its run. Eventually, Toonami picked it up and started airing it late at night. Then some insane fuckery by CN meant they essentially threw away the license, so Toonami had one night left to do good by the show and let it air in its entirety in the US at least once.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

catlord posted:

Someone in the Network must have really hated it. When episode 8 or 9 hit, it was removed from it's block besides Teen Titans Go. And went on hiatus 6 months. The remaining episodes of the season aired normally in some other countries but not the USA. (CN did similar things to Young Justice.) Eventually it was announced it was now on the Toonami block and they started airing show. Only for it to be announced a few weeks later that CN had written off the show. (Meaning after a certain date, it could never be aired again.) Toonami's guys did a marathon of the remaining episodes their farewell to it as it was the last week for it to be on TV, and if they did not air them that way, then the show would have just been unfinished.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

MorningMoon posted:

To be fair, the intent wasn't so malicious. IIRC the timeline was that it got pulled from regular CN like halfway through its run. Eventually, Toonami picked it up and started airing it late at night. Then some insane fuckery by CN meant they essentially threw away the license, so Toonami had one night left to do good by the show and let it air in its entirety in the US at least once.

I mean, that doesn't make it sound much less malicious. Wasn't that whole block just generally poorly run? 'Cause Beware the Batman was not the only show to get screwed over (poor GL:TAS!), and isn't Teen Titans Go! the only survivor on TV? At least Young Justice got a streaming revival.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

catlord posted:

I mean, that doesn't make it sound much less malicious. Wasn't that whole block just generally poorly run? 'Cause Beware the Batman was not the only show to get screwed over (poor GL:TAS!), and isn't Teen Titans Go! the only survivor on TV? At least Young Justice got a streaming revival.

I think less Malicious on Toonami's end. There was tons of Malice on CN's end.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

catlord posted:

Essentially due to the toxic inner politics at Time-Warner between it's subdivisions Cartoon Network developed a downright hatred for any shows that DC or WB Animation sent their way as it made them less money than their own shows would make, so CN would actively sabotage them, only reason they embraced Teen Titans Go so well is that the deal for that show gave them a much larger hunk of the merchandising profits than they normally got from a licensed show

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

Essentially due to the toxic inner politics at Time-Warner between it's subdivisions Cartoon Network developed a downright hatred for any shows that DC or WB Animation sent their way as it made them less money than their own shows would make, so CN would actively sabotage them, only reason they embraced Teen Titans Go so well is that the deal for that show gave them a much larger hunk of the merchandising profits than they normally got from a licensed show

Ah, I'd heard that except for the bit about TTG merchandising. That... explains so much.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
YJ S3: Holy poo poo, that Doom Patrol GO! segment. :stare:

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

AlternateNu posted:

YJ S3: Holy poo poo, that Doom Patrol GO! segment. :stare:

Yeah, it's pretty amazing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Not exactly a huge surprise but yes the Invincible TV show is super gory.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Can't wait to not watch it. I'm pretty done with Kirkman and super violent stuff

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I'm a big fan of Invincible but still wasn't prepared for the exact level of gore. I'll still watch though, not like it's the only gory thing out there. I'm constantly impressed with the sheer number of people they got for this.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

The end of the first episode is very gory, I was impressed at the level of it. Kinda reminded me of Akira with all the skulls going pop.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Watched the first episode of Invincible. Very true to the comic. Gore isn’t much beyond big blood splatters but the sound effects make them more disturbing I guess.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
YJ S3: The episode introducing Gar's Outsiders was just a continuous series of face-palms. I've enjoyed the season so far, even with its flaws. But that's the first episode that was just painful to watch. The screenplay had "how do you do, fellow kids?" all over it. :doh:

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Invincible such a mixed bag because I think that their is some great character work and ideas in it, the over the top gore takes me out of it. Also don't include the stupid rape stuff again.

I do like how the JLA ripoffs actually gave more a fight though.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Azubah posted:

The end of the first episode is very gory, I was impressed at the level of it. Kinda reminded me of Akira with all the skulls going pop.

:stare:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I read Invincible for a long time, and while it got super violent, I never saw that as the defining feature of the series. It felt like they were acknowledging that superheroism "in real life" would be gory and traumatic, sort of like how Evangelion skewered the idea that being a child soldier is awesome.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I guess I have the Awful app autoloading images and... wow.

(not blaming you at all, The United States)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

I however would like to exclusively blame the United States.