Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Seth
Gloria
Adelle
Elvis
View Results

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
How the hell am I hitting the damage cap at chapter 2?

Beastmaster is broken

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Beastmaster is, apparently, working as intended.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Deki posted:

How the hell am I hitting the damage cap at chapter 2?

Beastmaster is broken

My 9yo kid, on easy mode but still, has gotten big into beastmaster- a job i totally slept on- and was apparently gathering aqua-elements to spam gravity on asterisk bosses and, well, more power to him.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Anyone else just bodyslamming everything to death? I’m in chapter 3, maxed everyone as freelancer first thing, and since then I’ve killed everything I’ve run into with subclass freelancer doing a 1x forage 3x bodyslam. Works a lot better once you have the red mage ability that reduces sub class bp costs by one. There are jobs I’ve maxed where I’ve never used one of their skills.

I’m sure I’ll switch to another strategy eventually but until then, come on and slam

E: my bad I meant the pictomancer ability. Not red mage

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Good Citizen posted:

Anyone else just bodyslamming everything to death? I’m in chapter 3, maxed everyone as freelancer first thing, and since then I’ve killed everything I’ve run into with subclass freelancer doing a 1x forage 3x bodyslam. Works a lot better once you have the red mage ability that reduces sub class bp costs by one. There are jobs I’ve maxed where I’ve never used one of their skills.

I’m sure I’ll switch to another strategy eventually but until then, come on and slam

Try Pressure Point. Same damage (or better in many cases) and it ignores default.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

Try Pressure Point. Same damage (or better in many cases) and it ignores default.

But then how will I maintain my ever increasing hoard of attack items I never use?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Besides I’m starting to enjoy my traveling band of freegan medieval fantasy luchadors

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Why are these dungeons so goddamn big? There’s so much empty space and without anything to justify the size.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
What difficulty do you guys recommend? Any non-spoiler tips you guys have?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

Why are these dungeons so goddamn big? There’s so much empty space and without anything to justify the size.

They've about always done it like that. Very few BD dungeons feel like an interesting incursion. I guess that's a retro thing?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I figured the dungeons were that large mostly so you'd get into plenty of combats -- as this is a combat-focused game -- without doing something insane like Black Sigil's sky-high encounter rate where you got into a random encounter every 3-4 steps.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

SKULL.GIF posted:

without doing something insane like Black Sigil's sky-high encounter rate where you got into a random encounter every 3-4 steps.

loving flashbacks

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I guess I’ve outgrown dungeons like these, cause I find them grueling and exhausting not so much because of difficulty, but because of sheer time and tedium. Then again, I’ve never seen a JRPG dungeon I liked.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
Did Singing abilities always last three turns without any external modifiers? I could have sworn they initially lasted two turns and three was only with Extended Outro.

The critical-boosting one does only last two turns, so maybe I was just thinking of that one?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I still don't understand why y'all are going out of your way to grind. The closest I've come to grinding is fighting everything in my way and occasionally going back to certain areas to farm certain monsters for Beastmaster, and between that and using orbs from when I have the game in sleep mode my characters are murder machines unless I deliberately have them on weak jobs.

Speaking of jobs, in chapter 6 it seems that JP you earn on a job after it hits level 12 still counts toward future job levels when you upgrade them in the portals. When I defeated the Beastmaster and Red Mage refights I was immediately level 15 on those jobs.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I like it a lot so far (currently in Ch 6). A friend was pointing out of the reviews being in the 70s which is usually terrible and I think it's definitely not a JRPG for everyone but if you're really into JRPG combat systems and especially job combos you'll have a good time. Story is cute and I actually really like the dumb accents

There are definitely downsides, if you're paying $60 for this vs. say... Dragon Quest 11 or Persona 5 there's a clear gulf between the games, I get it. But I'm having fun

I think I like this game better than DQ11 and I really liked DQ11. 80 hours in this game has felt a lot shorter than 80 hours in DQ11 did, and the quality of music certainly isn't comparable. The only thing I'd say is unarguably better about DQ11 is that its world feels more like a fully realized world rather than a theme park island with a couple of attractions in each land (an issue I also had with BD1/BS)

Good Citizen posted:

Anyone else just bodyslamming everything to death? Im in chapter 3, maxed everyone as freelancer first thing, and since then Ive killed everything Ive run into with subclass freelancer doing a 1x forage 3x bodyslam. Works a lot better once you have the red mage ability that reduces sub class bp costs by one. There are jobs Ive maxed where Ive never used one of their skills.

Im sure Ill switch to another strategy eventually but until then, come on and slam

Bodyslamming everything to death eventually gives way to Godspeed Striking everything to death (with a sprinkle of Off the Chaining everything to death for me personally), so I guess you have that to look forward to?

raditts fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Mar 24, 2021

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
My main complaint about this game compared to DQ11 is the QoL stuff, the in-game monster references and quests and maps etc etc all of that is much worse then DQ11. I'd also say that DQ11 has much better pacing at the beginning of the game. But I can't judge too much yet because I'm just not that far in BD2 yet.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

BD2 has long stretches of boring crap. The pacing feels not so much uneven as much as artificially extended, like they really wanted you to hit 70+ hours.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

raditts posted:

Bodyslamming everything to death eventually gives way to Godspeed Striking everything to death (with a sprinkle of Off the Chaining everything to death for me personally), so I guess you have that to look forward to?

I assume you get something that counteracts the high mana cost of Godspeed strike? Right now I’ll use it on bosses when I’m leveling a character on thief main but it’s not somethigg by I’d spam all dungeon long like bodyslam

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Good Citizen posted:

I assume you get something that counteracts the high mana cost of Godspeed strike? Right now I’ll use it on bosses when I’m leveling a character on thief main but it’s not somethigg by I’d spam all dungeon long like bodyslam

You can also steal mana or health as an action.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Man these portal battles are hard but fun.

I left Gambler alive for last thinking she’s kinda useless and she KOd my party from almost full with some lucky wheel rolls

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Good Citizen posted:

you get 20% mp reduction, but GSSx2, Steal Spirit, Steal breath leaves you down 27 mp and leaves most of the challenging enemies dead.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Pollyanna posted:

I think the only two dungeons I think had something interesting in it was the ice dungeon where you get to slip around on floors to get to a chest at one point, and the airship. Other than that, the dungeons have unfortunately been some combination of too long, too tedious and too inconsequential. There's nothing going on in most of them, no puzzles, no switches to throw or paths to open, just follow the yellow dot until you reach the boss.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
So after getting phantom and getting it to level 12 I've got the makings of a murder party.

It's vanguard/swordmaster (as that seems to give me the strongest damage output I think) with 2 axes equipped.

Then I've got the high crit and dual wielding abilities from phantom and I dish out about 5k of damage per hit to all enemies (I'm level 50).

When I switch swordmaster to thief my god speed strike hits the 9500 range so bosses melt again.

I'm probably not being efficient but my general aim is to have the ability to hit everything multiple times simultaneously with damage cap numbers. I dunno if I'm actually able to do that just yet without a ton of grinding/monster capture.

I read maxing out beastmaster gives you a passive for capturing monsters yeah? I was thinking of at least farming some of the world map bosses for JP to get that and add passive capturing for every fight I get into if that's actually possible?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

poe meater posted:

What difficulty do you guys recommend? Any non-spoiler tips you guys have?

Normal, turn up the difficulty on bosses. All hard mode does is throttle your experience gain and increase enemy atb gain.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah, I mean, I’ve been in some dank-rear end dungeons before, but even the most frustrating had some kind of gimmick to keep them interesting (looking at you, Strange Journey). BD2’s have almost none at all. They come in either Big Forest or Collection of Rooms.

If the interesting parts of BD2 are the battles, why is there so much downtime between the interesting parts? And where are the gimmicks and twists on battles? There’s so much cool stuff you can do with those, like a gladiator arena, or you have to protect a target from oncoming enemies, or pick out an impostor from a group of FOEs, or you come across a monster house in a dungeon or something. Instead it’s Hallway and Random Battle Simulator 2021, and that’s one of my least favorite things about JRPGs.

The older FFs had this problem (and still do, judging by FF7 and its remake), and I can think of many cases where this happens in FF5. But FF5 had a weird and engaging world and story to make up for it.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Mar 24, 2021

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Good Citizen posted:

For trash mobs you get a variety of abilities that just lets you hit everything at once for little to no MP/BP cost, but yeah eventually there's also an ability that turns all MP costs into HP costs instead

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

You know, it's weird. I give this game a lot of poo poo for Adam being such an under-developed nothing of a big villain. But I don't know if Exdeath was all that great, either - he's the prototypal early-Final Fantasy "big bad guy in evil-looking armor", distinguishable from Garland or Golbez only because of the color of his armor. So why do I feel disappointed by BD2 but not FFV? Is it just because it's been two decades since I played FFV and that was great, even excellent for its time but we've come to expect more now? Maybe it's that weirdness you're talking about. Maybe Exdeath has so little story justification that you accept him as a weird super-dimensional threat that doesn't need further motivation, whereas Adam has just enough smattering of story to make it seem like there should be something behind it all, but there isn't. Maybe it's that the other characters in FFV are far more interesting - hell, even Bartz has more going for him than Seth does. And FFV has some unforgettable fan favorites like Gilgamesh.

Pollyanna posted:

If the interesting parts of BD2 are the battles, why is there so much downtime between the interesting parts? And where are the gimmicks and twists on battles? There’s so much cool stuff you can do with those, like a gladiator arena, or you have to protect a target from oncoming enemies, or pick out an impostor from a group of FOEs, or you come across a monster house in a dungeon or something. Instead it’s Hallway and Random Battle Simulator 2021, and that’s one of my least favorite things about JRPGs.

I'm a little biased, having been on the other side of this exact thing (and somewhat regretting afterwards that we didn't manage to do a better job on that front - not that we did a bad job, but it's hard to not feel that way as a creator). But, because of that, I might be able to sympathize a little. It feels like BD2 was made by a crew too inexperienced to really be able to handle it, and it kinda shows that there are a lot of plot threads and ideas that are fundamentally very much promising, they just don't go where they need to go. For us, the problem was running out of time, and I suspect the same in a slightly different form might apply here, too.

As a consumer, it's kinda unsatisfying. But I do think when it comes down to the wire and you can only pick one thing about your game to make as good as possible, at least they chose the right thing and made the combat and job system the highlight of the game. (Pity about the lack of balance in places though...)

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Exdeath is a funny tree they trapped demons into. He has some good comedic moments and is in general, a fun guy.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

And FFV has some unforgettable fan favorites like Gilgamesh.

If they make a Bravely Second type sequel to this, I want it to be a Rosencrantz And Guildenstern Are Dead type store with Dag and Selene where all their exploits around the world keep getting upstaged by the "real" heroes. It's a shame their character arc is locked entirely behind side quests.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

raditts posted:

If they make a Bravely Second type sequel to this, I want it to be a Rosencrantz And Guildenstern Are Dead type store with Dag and Selene where all their exploits around the world keep getting upstaged by the "real" heroes. It's a shame their character arc is locked entirely behind side quests.

I admit for a good chunk of the game I was expecting the game to do a flip and reveal we were the baddies all along and Dag, Selene, Bernard etc. were all good guys that made some bad decisions and had some bad PR.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I admit for a good chunk of the game I was expecting the game to do a flip and reveal we were the baddies all along and Dag, Selene, Bernard etc. were all good guys that made some bad decisions and had some bad PR.

Wasn't that a biiit of the twist in either BD1 or BRavely Second? I remember you go into an alternate timeline where personalities are different

I distinctly remember in BD1 by the time you get to like... Chapter 7 everyone's happy and fun and doing weird stuff during battles

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

That is definitely part of why I expected it to happen.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Natural 20 posted:

Normal, turn up the difficulty on bosses. All hard mode does is throttle your experience gain and increase enemy atb gain.

Huh. Does it throttle JP gain too?

I don't care too much about character level, but I do want me them jobs.

Assuming I haven't already passed the point of burnout. Haven't touched it in a number of days and the last time I did it was only for long enough to accidentally backtrack in a vague, featureless dungeon.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Hammer Bro. posted:

Huh. Does it throttle JP gain too?

I don't care too much about character level, but I do want me them jobs.

Assuming I haven't already passed the point of burnout. Haven't touched it in a number of days and the last time I did it was only for long enough to accidentally backtrack in a vague, featureless dungeon.

It doesn't do anything to JP gain. Basically it's a bad hard mode because it completely removes your ability to figure out if you're underleveled or playing badly.

I finished the game and most world bosses were still above my level but presumably at that point I'm meant to be able to murder them. (And I could, but only through doing stuff that's probably not intended with the job system)

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I'm a little biased, having been on the other side of this exact thing (and somewhat regretting afterwards that we didn't manage to do a better job on that front - not that we did a bad job, but it's hard to not feel that way as a creator). But, because of that, I might be able to sympathize a little. It feels like BD2 was made by a crew too inexperienced to really be able to handle it, and it kinda shows that there are a lot of plot threads and ideas that are fundamentally very much promising, they just don't go where they need to go. For us, the problem was running out of time, and I suspect the same in a slightly different form might apply here, too.

As a consumer, it's kinda unsatisfying. But I do think when it comes down to the wire and you can only pick one thing about your game to make as good as possible, at least they chose the right thing and made the combat and job system the highlight of the game. (Pity about the lack of balance in places though...)

This is a lot of it but my disappointment is that the original Bravely Default team that made Default and Second already had all of this figured out. The template on exactly what to do is in the drat series itself. Almost every dungeon on Bravely Default and Second have some sort of gimmick to them, even if they're minor, be they pools of poison that poison your party if you walk into them or hot springs that force status effects on your characters. Freelancer 3 gives you immunity to dungeon effects but I don't recall a single dungeon in Bravely Default 2 having an effect to be immune to!

So many of the problems in this game could be fixed by looking at what the prior games did and just following their example.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 24, 2021

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Natural 20 posted:

Freelancer 3 gives you immunity to dungeon effects but I don't recall a single dungeon in Bravely Default 2 having an effect to be immune to!

You know, come to think of it, that's true. I remember equipping it early on because, well, it was one of the few abilities I had. But I don't remember in what situation it would've been actually useful. The ice floors in that one dungeon halfway through the game, maybe..? By that time I had more important abilities to equip.

Anyway, you're right that it was a bit of an own goal in the sense that both the previous games do much better. And it's not that the new team wanted to distance themselves from the old, because they also went back to some of the simpler jobs from the first game rather than inventing - personally, some of my favorite jobs are from Bravely Second. Who doesn't like a job that literally gets to equip four weapons at the same time? So that's what makes me go for the "inexperienced team" angle. It feels like they had a few careful ideas that didn't go anywhere, and then for the rest of it they played it very safe, to the point of bland.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Natural 20 posted:

Freelancer 3 gives you immunity to dungeon effects but I don't recall a single dungeon in Bravely Default 2 having an effect to be immune to!

There's a fire/volcano(?) area with steam vents that do a lot of damage but that's all I can immediately think of. Unless it also negates sliding on ice and so forth.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

You know, it's weird. I give this game a lot of poo poo for Adam being such an under-developed nothing of a big villain. But I don't know if Exdeath was all that great, either - he's the prototypal early-Final Fantasy "big bad guy in evil-looking armor", distinguishable from Garland or Golbez only because of the color of his armor. So why do I feel disappointed by BD2 but not FFV? Is it just because it's been two decades since I played FFV and that was great, even excellent for its time but we've come to expect more now? Maybe it's that weirdness you're talking about. Maybe Exdeath has so little story justification that you accept him as a weird super-dimensional threat that doesn't need further motivation, whereas Adam has just enough smattering of story to make it seem like there should be something behind it all, but there isn't. Maybe it's that the other characters in FFV are far more interesting - hell, even Bartz has more going for him than Seth does. And FFV has some unforgettable fan favorites like Gilgamesh.

This was I meant by FFV being good because of how engaging and outright weird its world and story is. You don't get more out there than a spiteful evil world-destroying interdimensional void tree armorwizard and its menagerie of eldritch beings being opposed by a talking regular-rear end turtle. Also the coolest parts of FFV like the ghost ship, the two-worlds-into-one thing, the big ol' tree dungeon and what happened in it (rip galuf :smith:), that one hidden village, the first appearance of Omega and Shinryu, everything that happens after you decide to take the fight to Exdeath...there's so much cool and weird poo poo in that game.

FFV, for the time, fuckin' went places. That's what really made it stick - it wasn't afraid to be weird.

BD2, on the other hand, does the opposite - it plays it really safe. In fact, I'm only in the middle of chapter 5, but it's far less weird than even BS, let alone BD1. That's not a good sign when BD1 was so memorable because of that, which is also what made FFV so memorable.

quote:

Yeah, I know, I'm sorry. It's really hard to make a game :( I think you're right on the money, the game does feel rushed/incomplete overall. I suspect that it's a combination of the BD :v: team working on it, adjusting to Switch over 3DS, focus in SE on the FF7 revival + FF15, and most definitely COVID too. I wish there was an easy/straightforward way to build a game (or anything) such that at no point does anything feel incomplete, but damned if I know it. And if I did, I'd be a lot more comfortable taking ownership of projects at work!

Natural 20 posted:

...Oh poo poo, you're right. There aren't any dungeon effects! :psyduck:

As for the rest of your post, yeah, it really does feel like BD2 was made by people who had heard of Bravely Default, but never played or analyzed it themselves. It’s like a game of telephone and all they got was “job system, fairies, crystals, party chats”. I’d call Bravely Default 2 “Bravely Default 1 Except Really Boring”, but even that’s a bit of a stretch because of how unlike BD1 this game is in certain places that it’s almost a different game series altogether.

Like, BD2 could be a romhack of FFV and it wouldn’t change a drat thing.

At least the music is good. :smith:

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 24, 2021

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
FFV also has recurring characters like Gilgamesh, plus the multiple worlds also the pacing for how you get jobs 4 at a time after fighting a boss rather then one at a time makes a lot more sense.

You can also tell they weren't able to do things they wanted to do. I'm pretty sure when you get poisoned at the earth that Seth should have permanent poison affect on him that would be cured at the next story beat. But instead he's poisoned, you heal it trivially with an antidote and then you move on. Why'd they even bother?

Oh well, still a good game, but definitely not a memorable game and no reason to play through it again imo.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh my god, I don’t know how we didn’t bring up Battle on the Big Bridge until now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Wasn't that a biiit of the twist in either BD1 or BRavely Second? I remember you go into an alternate timeline where personalities are different

I distinctly remember in BD1 by the time you get to like... Chapter 7 everyone's happy and fun and doing weird stuff during battles

Sorta? Usually the Eternians forces were out doing in BD1 tended to be pretty grody stuff. Especially the Bloodrose legion. Like, loving wow. By chapter 7 You wind up settling in some alternate dimension where they all aren't dead and are generally like... better versions of themselves or something?