Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

There’s a certain Zach Parise in need of a good long contract somewhere else. Also, the Flyers need to fire Fletcher before he spends 20% of the salary cap on two players.

I’m glad they put a max contract length out there, 13 years is too long and there’s still 4 years left until 2025. Kaprizov isn’t going to get the contract he probably should because Parise and Suter are signed with big AAV until they’re 40.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Vengarr posted:

Plus, there's that chance of someone eating a puck to the face.

It's a pop fly. This isn't the Espen Knutsen/Brittanie Cecil thing.

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
fire colin campbell.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Vengarr posted:

It's less risky for the defense to shoot the puck out of play than trying to ice it. Plus, there's that chance of someone eating a puck to the face.

Maybe give a warning for a first offense instead of a penalty, but I do like the incentive to keep the puck in play

Yeah, I don't mind that penalty. Keep the puck in play.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Koopa Kid posted:

So I know we just had a whole thing around injuries and cap circumvention, but Jack Campbell is starting for the Leafs again on Friday and if he plays well for about a fortnight I'm betting :10bux: that before the trade deadline Frederik Andersen's injury will take a turn for the worse and he'll be shut down until the playoffs.

Also they made losing a challenge a penalty.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Vengarr posted:

It's less risky for the defense to shoot the puck out of play than trying to ice it. Plus, there's that chance of someone eating a puck to the face.

Maybe give a warning for a first offense instead of a penalty, but I do like the incentive to keep the puck in play

If you take away the penalty, they’ll just start shooting it out of play again, just to get a short breather like they do with icing. Only with icing the other team actually has a chance to keep it in the zone. The only reason it only happens unintentionally is because it’s a penalty.

I know I’d tell players to just put it up and over the glass if they’re caught in the zone and have a chance. What’s the loss? And then we’re right back where it started. Any messing around with warnings and whatever will just move the line and it’ll still happen often enough. If the goal is to keep the puck in play, there’s no reason to really change this. It’s either give that up or have a few DoG penalties a year.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

DoG leads play to be conducted in 5v4 (or similar) until the next whistle.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

DJExile posted:

I recall defensemen shooting it out of the center ice stands pretty hard sometimes. Not slapshots by any means, but I still wouldn't want to catch one with my teeth.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Make it delay of game if it's intentional. When it's clearly a clear gone wrong make it like an icing and don't give benefit of the doubt a second time. I used to be in favour of the clear yes/no status of over the glass, but honestly it just makes so little sense. If over the glass is a penalty, then icing should be too. They're effectively policing the same thing, why are they treated in such a disparate manner?

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Also they made losing a challenge a penalty.

For sure and it should have been all along, trying to do stuff with timeouts when teams only have one was pure “we haven’t thought this through and are copying another league” nonsense

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

This makes me wonder if some dumbfuck cost their squad a game or series by accidentally doing it or something
Probably countless times, but it led to the game winning goal in the 2006 ECF Game 7 between Buffalo and Carolina. This was the first year that it was introduced and really examplary of how lovely a rule it was.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Yes that penalty very famously tore SAS apart which was how I discovered this place, so you can thank that penalty for continuing to curse you all with my presence.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
As if The Series That Tore SAS apart could have ended any other way.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I came back to see 128 unread threads and wondered what the hell happened. Not having time to get fully caught up, did anything earth-shattering happen not involving Tim Peel?

Island Nation posted:

Refs: 80 & 20 are even numbers

New thread title.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
I'm on board with the people that say calling the game by the book is impossible. I disagree on why, though. You can't call it by the book because they have to use really vague language in the rules that then gets interpreted in relation to specific events. There is no 'by the book' because it is inherently open to interpretation. Basically all of the rules have caveats that give reasons why they might not be penalties or use words like "in an aggresive manner," that require interpretation.

What they can do is call to a somewhat consistent standard that has a baseline and doesn't drift. Refs will make mistakes, but it should be set up so that they don't build on the mistakes as a baseline in the future.

They tried to do it for a bit. They made videos and did training on what penalties were. The videos were public so you knew what the standard was. They made all the players go through training. When something changed, they made videos explaining what it was. They attempted to make templates of what acts were penalties and what weren't. Half way through the season you can go and look at the standard and remind people what the hell a penalty is.

Then they did that for like three months.

It's never going to be perfect. because it's a human trying to interpret broad rule in the context of a bunch of factors at high speed. But it can be a heck of a lot more baselined.

I don't blame the refs on this at all. Even if they aren't being explicitly told to make things even, they don't have the institutional backing to actually call a game consistently if they wanted to. There's nothing they can lean on explaining what the gently caress they're supposed to be doing.

But yeah, the most lol thing is definitely the NHL going "Peel's gone, problem solved!" Like, either:

Change the system, or
Back the refs up and say Peel was over the line but you expect them to manage the game flow with penalties

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
Also, gently caress replays of things that aren't goal lines and maybe high stick goals or certain types of goalie interference. I would be okay with just goal lines, personally.

Goal lines are super tense for everyone, they're black and white generally, and are a good time to argue with people. Also, there are the ones where the goalie has the puck under him and ends up in the net and everyone gets to go "WHERE WAS IT!?!?" It's always intense.

All the other things just slow the game down and are far enough removed from the goal that there are a bunch of other factors.

When my team gets a goal against them disallowed for more distant things I don't feel like they've been vindicated. I feel like they've rule lawyered themselves out of the situation. It's better than not rules lawyering, but I'm not going to get excited about it. I still feel like they've been scored on, but have gotten away with it. When it's on the other side, it just feels stupid. I don't think anyone gets the good sports feelings out of it, so why bother.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Good soup! posted:

(I get that IIRC it was motivated by other things like cutting back on the neutral zone trap and poo poo but still, gently caress that dumbass change)

:hai:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Sean Gentille with a great point on Athletic

quote:

The elephant in the room, by the way, is gambling; league betting partners can’t be thrilled that an official just copped to thumbing the scale. I’ve been there myself already — “Can’t live-bet on that one, it’s a two-goal game late and there’s a penalty disparity.” I got lucky in a Flames-Senators game earlier this season. Shan’t be making that same mistake again. Certainly not in the playoffs.

We can go down the list; even-up calls spit in the face of star players. Sorry for ignoring that hook, Mr. McDavid. We know we called it earlier, but it’s the third-period now. They spit in the face of every player. They make games confusing, and dumber, and worse, and the league, based on decades of evidence, is OK with that … unless a ref says it too close to a boom mic.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

T.C. posted:

Also, gently caress replays of things that aren't goal lines and maybe high stick goals or certain types of goalie interference. I would be okay with just goal lines, personally.

Checking on Major penalties and worse is not the worst thing, but they need to do it faster. Checking for properly scoring a goal should be a decently easy thing to do too. Offsides has been really much faster and unobtrusive this year from the games I’ve watched and I’ve only seen it a couple times. Even Goalie Interference has only come up a couple times. I don’t know if that’s league wide, but it’s been a good balance of them from my experience. It’d be interesting to see the numbers on it.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Replay in all sports would work a million percent better if they were restricted to 30 seconds of watching real-time speed replays, and if it's not super obvious in 30 seconds that the call was wrong it stands.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

In 5-10 years plays will be analyzed with an AI and the computer will call infractions.

Then we can argue about bugs in the neural net when a call doesn't go the way we like.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

Replay in all sports would work a million percent better if they were restricted to 30 seconds of watching real-time speed replays, and if it's not super obvious in 30 seconds that the call was wrong it stands.

As long as we reserve the right to complain about it anyway.

That would be just fine otherwise, nothing worse than a few minutes of sitting and waiting. It would keep things moving and keep them from sitting there and nitpicking things apart. The offsides and goal line stuff should be easy with better technology. Even easier than other sports as the lines are stationary.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

My problem with the state of officiating in sports today is summed up in this video I think.

Warning there is blood in the video.
https://youtu.be/JagmvsAh_jw

Two players come together and both get hurt and nobody saw what the hell happened. So lets go to replay so we can get this call right. MacKinnon whacked him with his stick so that's a double minor, but we can't call the trip on Chychrun because ???

If games have to be stopped so that the refs can get calls right, then get the calls right.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

DJExile posted:

This seems like a pretty bad take when a Russian hockey player was just killed by a dump-in. It doesn't have to be a 100mph slapshot to be pretty harmful.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Amen.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

xzzy posted:

In 5-10 years plays will be analyzed with an AI and the computer will call infractions.

Then we can argue about bugs in the neural net when a call doesn't go the way we like.

Wire everything up so if a you hit another player's gloves, helmet, or jersey crest with your stick, you get a stiff electric jolt. That covers like 90% of violations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Get rid of all penalties cause clearly they're worthless if the Stars can't score on almost 90 seconds of 5 on 3.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Powershift posted:

Wire everything up so if a you hit another player's gloves, helmet, or jersey crest with your stick, you get a stiff electric jolt. That covers like 90% of violations.

An excellent solution up until the moment someone discovers the hard way they had a genetic heart condition and dies instantly, which some people will probably complain seems harsh for high sticking.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Athletes are just too fast basically, in every sport. Making judgement calls was a lot easier 50 years ago when everyone was skating in slow-motion.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/JClipperton_CP/status/1374815638074576897

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
nate thompson, definitely a watcher of sports

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Vengarr posted:

Athletes are just too fast basically, in every sport. Making judgement calls was a lot easier 50 years ago when everyone was skating in slow-motion.
Also improved camera technology has allowed people to become far more critical in their analysis. A pet peeve of mine is when broadcasts don't show replays in real time. NFL broadcasts are very guilty of this.

So it's really a double-whammy when it comes to criticism of officiating

shyduck fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 24, 2021

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

Make it delay of game if it's intentional. When it's clearly a clear gone wrong make it like an icing and don't give benefit of the doubt a second time. I used to be in favour of the clear yes/no status of over the glass, but honestly it just makes so little sense. If over the glass is a penalty, then icing should be too. They're effectively policing the same thing, why are they treated in such a disparate manner?

Define intentional. Now do you trust refs to have any consistent way of interpreting it?

These are NHL players, anything they do with the puck should be assumed to be intentional because they are the best in the world at what they do. Sure, let it go in beer league because no one has any idea where the puck is going, but for an NHL player, if you don’t want a delay of game, don’t shoot it up towards the boards.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Well, they're getting consistently managed games!.
I must admit I've had my head in the sand over this. I mean, I know it looked that way, but I didn't actually think they would consciously do it.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Simplex posted:

If games have to be stopped so that the refs can get calls right, then get the calls right.

No way, I’m not watching to see justice done, I’m watching to be entertained and being mad about a bad call is still way more fun than watching stripes puzzle over replay.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Every major pro sport is "managed"

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

pseudodragon posted:

Define intentional. Now do you trust refs to have any consistent way of interpreting it?

These are NHL players, anything they do with the puck should be assumed to be intentional because they are the best in the world at what they do. Sure, let it go in beer league because no one has any idea where the puck is going, but for an NHL player, if you don’t want a delay of game, don’t shoot it up towards the boards.

That argument doesn't survive even a casual analysis given how often players miss the net on shots. Sure, for some tiny percentage of shots they're hoping for a bounce onto a teammate's stick but the majority of them dude straight up missed.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Levitate posted:

BH I'm also kinda eh on how they've developed Kakko and Lafreniere right now, we'll see how it pans out in the end but basically they've sheltered the poo poo out of them and it feels like instead of learning how to grow their game and make mistakes and learn they just kinda get middling minutes while the established players soak up the major minutes and nearly all of the PP time. That said, COVID season is also weird.

This has been the most frustrating part of the season - watching them play two teenagers every night and "sheltering them" by not playing them with their top players. If it weren't for pedigree and marketing, these guys would be playing lot of minutes in a minor league, and working with a skating coach in the offseason to get them ready for full-time NHL play. Instead, there's a third line of three kids that just doesn't look very good, which is hardly a step up from playing them with plugs.

Kakko had two goals last game... assisted by Panarin! Every point he's had in the last two months has been in the top six.

Lafreniere had a four game point-scoring streak a month ago, all points with their top two centers and other top wingers.

Each guy has two points this year while not in the top six, because they're not effective when playing with spare parts guys they got as UFAs on league minimum contracts.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Bobby Plager died in a car accident. gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

Make teams play shorthanded while the offending player heads into the stands to get the puck, like its a lovely pickup game.