Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: BAGS FLY AT NOON)
Are you a rad suburban dad
No im a city slicker
yes i am a rad suburban dad
goku
Derpies Tuglord
View Results

GEEKABALL
May 30, 2011

Throw out your hands!!
Stick out your tush!!
Hands on your hips
Give them a push!!
Fun Shoe

Derpies posted:

BBQ time !!!

Excuse my ignorance, but are those tritips?
If so, please share your preparation process.
Salt and pepper only?
What kind of wood in the smoker?
Smoker temperature?
Meat internal temperature to shoot for? (The heat of the meat, if you will)
Brand of beer during smoke time? Brand of beer consumed with meat?
I am asking because I’ve only done brisket, ribs and pork butts, with turkey making an annual appearance. But I did purchase a couple of tritips at the HEB, and I could use some guidance from a pro dad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Salt is a definite and helps for a crust as the meat cooks. I personally don't add pepper since it can burn

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

GEEKABALL posted:

Excuse my ignorance, but are those tritips?
If so, please share your preparation process.
Salt and pepper only?
What kind of wood in the smoker?
Smoker temperature?
Meat internal temperature to shoot for? (The heat of the meat, if you will)
Brand of beer during smoke time? Brand of beer consumed with meat?
I am asking because I’ve only done brisket, ribs and pork butts, with turkey making an annual appearance. But I did purchase a couple of tritips at the HEB, and I could use some guidance from a pro dad.

I did a store bought meat rub that was basically salt, epper, and garlic powder

I used hickory wood because my drat grocery store only carries pellets now and it was hickory or apple. Usually I do tri tip with mesquite.

225 is what I went for and more or less maintained

135 is what I got the meat too and then I seared it on a cast iron with butter, oil, rosemary, thyme, and garlic

I consumed Bulleit Bourbon with this

Tritip is great because in generally it only takes 45 mins to an hour to hit 135 internally, so its a pretty legit quick smoke but I'd also say toss in some salmon or other quick smoking things so you dont waste valuable charcoal.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Tri-tip is steak and so that's how I cook it. I'm from California and the best preparation from here is Santa Maria style over native Red Oak. Any oak should do, though!

For seasoning I do approximately equal parts fresh ground black pep (I like to say "pep!" hah), kosher salt and garlic powder. Add some brown sugar, paprika and red chili flakes if you're feeling sexy. Ancho chili powder is a good choice, too.

Rub 'em up, wrap 'em up and let 'em sit a couple hours in the fridge. Once done, bring them out and allow to come to room temp. Start your smoker and get it as hot as possible (usually 400-500F) and place your rubbed tri-tips in there.

Flip 'em every 15-20 minutes until they read an internal temperature that you like for steak. 130-135F is usually a good temp to pull them at.

Let rest for 10 minutes. Enjoy.

GEEKABALL
May 30, 2011

Throw out your hands!!
Stick out your tush!!
Hands on your hips
Give them a push!!
Fun Shoe

Derpies posted:

I did a store bought meat rub that was basically salt, epper, and garlic powder

I used hickory wood because my drat grocery store only carries pellets now and it was hickory or apple. Usually I do tri tip with mesquite.

225 is what I went for and more or less maintained

135 is what I got the meat too and then I seared it on a cast iron with butter, oil, rosemary, thyme, and garlic

I consumed Bulleit Bourbon with this

Tritip is great because in generally it only takes 45 mins to an hour to hit 135 internally, so its a pretty legit quick smoke but I'd also say toss in some salmon or other quick smoking things so you dont waste valuable charcoal.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Tri-tip is steak and so that's how I cook it. I'm from California and the best preparation from here is Santa Maria style over native Red Oak. Any oak should do, though!

For seasoning I do approximately equal parts fresh ground black pep (I like to say "pep!" hah), kosher salt and garlic powder. Add some brown sugar, paprika and red chili flakes if you're feeling sexy. Ancho chili powder is a good choice, too.

Rub 'em up, wrap 'em up and let 'em sit a couple hours in the fridge. Once done, bring them out and allow to come to room temp. Start your smoker and get it as hot as possible (usually 400-500F) and place your rubbed tri-tips in there.

Flip 'em every 15-20 minutes until they read an internal temperature that you like for steak. 130-135F is usually a good temp to pull them at.

Let rest for 10 minutes. Enjoy.

:tipshat:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Letting my meat rest has improved my food life considerably

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Start your smoker and get it as hot as possible (usually 400-500F) and
If it’s 400 degrees inside, it’s not a smoker.
It may be a smoker tomorrow, but today it’s a grill.:colbert:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

If it’s 400 degrees inside, it’s not a smoker.
It may be a smoker tomorrow, but today it’s a grill.:colbert:

Yea I grill tri-tip, for sure.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Grill the meats, Dad the beats

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Don't y'all just love the smell of opening an old coffee can full of bolts, nuts, and screws?

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Dad in the streets, Grill in the meats

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Professor Shark posted:

Letting my meat rest has improved my food life considerably

Always be tuggin, never stop tuggin

E: sorry wrong thread

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Always be tuggin, never stop tuggin

E: sorry wrong thread

Its my covid therapy

Brewmaster
Dec 10, 2007

Hi! I'm awkward.
Hey guys, long time lurker here, first time dad. My kid is only about 4 weeks old. Time has lost all meaning and I have never been more exhausted.

Anyway, the weather here is finally warm enough to fire up the grill, and my ancient piece of poo poo grill decided to poo poo the bed. My question to all you other rad dads is this: what's a good grill to get considering that I am on a pretty severely restricted budget?

I'm really hoping to find a good middle ground between this

and this

I really want a decent propane grill with some real surface area. But a lot of the midsize ones I'm pricing out seem like they're either wildly over priced or extremely poorly reviewed. What's your experience?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Char-Broil grills are Just Fine. Nothing flashy, but solid enough to work well for quite a few years, they’re widely available so replacement parts are too, if necessary, and they’re generally low priced.

Also Lowe’s is currently having a grill sale.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Just keep buying more Weber grills

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Old Smokey grills look pretty well reviewed and moderately priced, never used one though.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

poisonpill posted:

Just keep buying more Weber grills

Brewmaster
Dec 10, 2007

Hi! I'm awkward.
Old smokey is usually acquired for free as a promotional gift from a golf tournament or a smallish Uline order. It is barely acceptable to keep on a fire escape, but almost always ends up being used as a giant ash tray.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Brewmaster posted:

Old smokey is usually acquired for free as a promotional gift from a golf tournament or a smallish Uline order. It is barely acceptable to keep on a fire escape, but almost always ends up being used as a giant ash tray.

As nature intended, the dadylest gift.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

Brewmaster posted:

a promotional gift from a golf tournament or a smallish Uline order

*inhales deeply* Ahhh, I see that you also are a true suburban dad and we hereby accord you the rank of bass guitarist

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I do not like how many posts in this thread could have been my own posts.
Will update with my basses and my grill set up tomorrow.
Edit: I grabbed a picture of my grill while I was taking out the trash

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 25, 2021

JeffLeonard
Apr 18, 2003

TV Violence

AFewBricksShy posted:

I do not like how many posts in this thread could have been my own posts.

ONE OF US!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Listen, ah, wife's going out tonight, I'm gonna have the guys over, we're gonna watch the Fish on the big screen, I'm gonna grill up some brats, I got a microbrew chilling in my wet bar, and, uh, I was gonna warm up some ziti. Why don't you come by if you got some triple-fried pizza dough, or some kind of frozen meatballs or whatever it is, you can warm it up in my microwave or you can warm it up back at home, bring it over pipin' hot, but if you wanna bring over a vegetable medley, a crudité, figure out how much lunch meat you can spare, maybe bring over a pound and a half, two pounds of Black Forest ham, maybe a dijon mustard spread?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Brewmaster posted:

Hey guys, long time lurker here, first time dad. My kid is only about 4 weeks old. Time has lost all meaning and I have never been more exhausted.

Anyway, the weather here is finally warm enough to fire up the grill, and my ancient piece of poo poo grill decided to poo poo the bed. My question to all you other rad dads is this: what's a good grill to get considering that I am on a pretty severely restricted budget?

I'm really hoping to find a good middle ground between this

and this

I really want a decent propane grill with some real surface area. But a lot of the midsize ones I'm pricing out seem like they're either wildly over priced or extremely poorly reviewed. What's your experience?

I had a midsize 4-burner Char-Broil that was fine. It even had a little separate mini-burner on the side like for a side dish or to heat up a pot of water. I got it as a gift but I know it wasn’t more than $200. You can get something simpler for less.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Also I’m thinking about using my off-set smoker tomorrow to smoke some chicken drumsticks. Sure I can google it but I thought I’d ask the pro-dads here for some tips & tricks.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
so whats everyones golf handicap? I usually just say drinking a 12 pack by the turn har har har.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
My best game was a 78 on 9 holes so I’m my own handicap.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Also I’m thinking about using my off-set smoker tomorrow to smoke some chicken drumsticks. Sure I can google it but I thought I’d ask the pro-dads here for some tips & tricks.

Here's the best advice I can give you, son.

Low and slow.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Full Metal Jackass posted:

Here's the best advice I can give you, son.

Low and slow.

Just like when youre making love to your fat suburban wife

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Derpies posted:

Just like when youre making love to your fat suburban wife

Yes it is just like when I make love to your fat suburban wife hah gotcha man! Ha just kidding how is she?

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Yes it is just like when I make love to your fat suburban wife hah gotcha man! Ha just kidding how is she?

She gave me COVID, god drat girls night.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Derpies posted:

so whats everyones golf handicap? I usually just say drinking a 12 pack by the turn har har har.

My golf scores and my bowling scores look very similar.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Derpies posted:

She gave me COVID, god drat girls night.

drat, bro. You want me to bring you a bowl of queso I just smoked in my Traeger?

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

drat, bro. You want me to bring you a bowl of queso I just smoked in my Traeger?

I'm gonna spit in your hamster pellets and give your oven covid

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Derpies posted:

I'm gonna spit in your hamster pellets and give your oven covid

Bro I just made this delicious brisket with artisinally-sourced wood pellets. They're mined from the trees of urmom. (drat!)

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Bro I just made this delicious brisket with artisinally-sourced wood pellets. They're mined from the trees of urmom. (drat!)

I'm reporting you for using illegally harvested brazilian wood on both my mom and your oven.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I am the suburban daddest of dads.

Grill Set up:

Basses:
Black one was my first, Ibanez five string a couple of years later (20 years ago fuuuuck)
Built the Gibson ripoff with a warmoth neck a couple of years ago, it's pretty much a fancy p-bass.

Fire pit.

Guinness Stew from last week

Dad slippers and pj pants.

Bonus: overly complicated deep frying rig for my turkey at christmas this year.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

AFewBricksShy posted:

I am the suburban daddest of dads.

Grill Set up:

Basses:
Black one was my first, Ibanez five string a couple of years later (20 years ago fuuuuck)
Built the Gibson ripoff with a warmoth neck a couple of years ago, it's pretty much a fancy p-bass.

Fire pit.

Guinness Stew from last week

Dad slippers and pj pants.

Bonus: overly complicated deep frying rig for my turkey at christmas this year.

You are on the suburban council, but we do not grant you the rank of grill master.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Gettin' tired of messing with this weenie battery operated fishing line trimmer. Think it’s time to get an Echo. I’m thinking maybe the PAS-2620 with the Pro edger attachment.