Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
Ran some tutorial quests this morning both docked and handheld- having not played the demo I am very surprised how well everything is running, figured it would be a little choppy, though I am just in the starting areas. Coming from World/IB I expected the graphic quality to take a serious hit but they're really not bad.

Already with like 2 missions knocked out I absolutely love the wirebugs and dog, they both feel so precise and control well. What good additions.

e- page snipe have my favorite killscreen from World

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

There is a shocking amount of QoL improvement in the hub world and field. The only thing killing me is trying to shake my MHW muscle memory - I don't want to rearrange the buttons so I'm just biting the bullet and working through it.

I'm continually impressed with the graphical fidelity on the Switch. It'll never be as good as World on my PC but hell it manages to keep a frame rate and I haven't experienced much pop-in.

Probably gonna spend about 5 hours in the training hall just getting my bearings with various weapons before I go full Lance again

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

I'm aggressively mad I have to work today. I just want to capture mons and build funny looking weapons out of their bits today.

same, just want to be goofin around with my animal pals looking for things to fight

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Harrow posted:

I dunno if people consider kinsect stuff spoilers so I'll put it under tags but like

there are kinsects that can grab two buff colors at the same time :pusheen:

there are kinsects that continuously swirl around you as you attack, following your glaive swings and adding extra damage :eyepop:

I remember being really disappointed with the glaive in pre-release stuff and in the demo but what I'm seeing in videos for the full release version looks amazing

The first one was in Iceborne, wasn't it?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Very happy to hear about the IG stuff. Not a weapon I'd start with but definitely one of my favorites to switch to late game

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
IG is a lot of fun but I avoid it as a first weapon because you don't actually wind up learning any monster attack patterns.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Anyone done Gathering Hub stuff yet? I know it was mentioned before release that the hub scales to 1/2/3/4 player difficulty, but all the NPCs are really insistent in saying otherwise. Also I did a couple of quests last night with a friend and it felt like some oldschool "this poo poo is clearly scaled for 4p" content. We were wailing on KYK and Anknosom for ages and they just wouldn't loving die.

e: might just be the starter weapons are real bad and you're supposed to do some village first?

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

The Moon Monster posted:

The first one was in Iceborne, wasn't it?

In IB, your bug could go out and collect two extracts before returning. I think what's being referred to there is a kinsect that always gets a certain extract, plus whatever you shoot it at. So if you have one that's always getting a red extract, you just bop the monster anywhere other than the head and you'll get white/red or orange/red every time. That's how I've seen it described, but haven't tested it myself.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
MH: Rise is my first MH game and I used Insect Glaive as my first weapon and I have no idea what I'm doing or how to figure out what to do. I like the small cats.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'm having trouble keeping the effects of the different LS counters straight

- zR+A mid-combo does that back-step and return swing, is that even a counter at all? Does it have any side-effects?
- the iai counter gives me a level on the gauge, but what does the silkbind counter do besides sick damage?

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Perry Mason Jar posted:

MH: Rise is my first MH game and I used Insect Glaive as my first weapon and I have no idea what I'm doing or how to figure out what to do. I like the small cats.

Shoot your bug at the monster's head to get red extract. That makes your moves gooder. Everything else is waving your stick around.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Perry Mason Jar posted:

If you're hitting monsters you're probably doing it right

IG in particular needs to eat buffs using the kinsect, if you get the red one you're in good shape but go for all of em when you feel more comfortable

Also, PSA to series newbies: :siren: turn off auto-sheathe in the options. :siren: Nothing will screw you over more - or make you more angry - than getting stuck putting away your lance with an attack incoming.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Mar 26, 2021

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Mechafunkzilla posted:

IG is a lot of fun but I avoid it as a first weapon because you don't actually wind up learning any monster attack patterns.

??? You absolutely do need to with IG if for no other reason than knowing when/how to grab various extracts so you aren't constantly whiffing.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Ciaphas posted:

Also, PSA to series newbies: :siren: turn off auto-sheathe in the options. Nothing will screw you over more - or make you more angry - than getting stuck putting away your lance with an attack incoming.

What the hell? Why would this be on by default?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

DalaranJ posted:

What the hell? Why would this be on by default?

I have no fuckin' idea, they introduced it in world and it was just as stupid there

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Aranan posted:

Shoot your bug at the monster's head to get red extract. That makes your moves gooder. Everything else is waving your stick around.

I can shoot the bug?!

Ciaphas posted:

If you're hitting monsters you're probably doing it right

IG in particular needs to eat buffs using the kinsect, if you get the red one you're in good shape but go for all of em when you feel more comfortable

Also, PSA to series newbies: :siren: turn off auto-sheathe in the options. Nothing will screw you over more - or make you more angry - than getting stuck putting away your lance with an attack incoming.

Nice, I will make that change. How do I use the Wirebug with my weapon drawn? I want to Wire up the wall then come down with my weapon but that doesn't work?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Nice, I will make that change. How do I use the Wirebug with my weapon drawn? I want to Wire up the wall then come down with my weapon but that doesn't work?

There might be some IG-specific chicanery you can get up to, but for the most part you need to sheathe, run up the wall, jump off and draw into an attack mid-air with X (or zR on some weapons - charging hammer, going axe on CB, whatever)

These don't require wirebugs unless you need a lot of air, though, so maybe you meant something else

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
drat, I was worried I'd have to sheathe first. Going to have to remap some stuff, I keep eating potions accidentally.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Here's a good video about other options, control configs, camera stuff, etc. you might want to do. He puts it more for World players who want to go back to their comfort zone, but most of the suggestions are good ones in general - especially swapping the controls for the Action Bar and Item Bar, to make items more accessible:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vL8D-PT8v5w

He doesn't mention the sheathing thing though (presumably 'cos it's so fundamental), so I'll say it again: :ducksiren: turn off Auto-Sheathe :ducksiren:

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
I’m really, really impressed at the load times on this. Warping around the village is nearly instant in most locations, and otherwise is just like 3 seconds if you’re warping to the training area.

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013
Monster Hunter Rise: Daddy Needs a New Pair of Boots.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Plasbad posted:

Monster Hunter Rise: Daddy Needs a New Pair of Boots.

Monster Hunter Rise: Like my loafers? Former gophers!

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I’m enjoying the horn.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I always put way too much thought into what I name characters so now I'm trying to decide what to name my hunter and buddies

Seems like everyone in the village has Japanese names this time so I feel compelled to stay on-theme

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I use the same name and general look for every character in every game since naming my WoW priest in like, 2006.

I named/based my dog off my IRL dog who passed last year (RIP Val). The cat I picked a preset for and named Dumpling in about 5 seconds.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Harrow posted:

I always put way too much thought into what I name characters so now I'm trying to decide what to name my hunter and buddies

Seems like everyone in the village has Japanese names this time so I feel compelled to stay on-theme

I use Shine for my masculine avatars, and Shyne for my androgynous/feminine avatars. Palico is always named after some cat in my life, and I asked my spouse to name the pupper, since they are more into dogs than I am.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Harrow posted:

Similarly, for the first time I've veered away from MH voice barks and switched to Japanese. Just feels too weird otherwise v:v:v

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

MMF Freeway posted:

Saw this table on the mh dataminer guy's twitter. Seems useful, maybe should go in the OP?

What's the deal with the "locked" weapon variants? Anyone know?

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

I’m really, really impressed at the load times on this. Warping around the village is nearly instant in most locations, and otherwise is just like 3 seconds if you’re warping to the training area.

Yeah I was initially kind of bummed that the environments were such a step down visually from world (even considering the switch's limits) but upon playing the game it's absolutely worth the tradeoff

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Even if the graphics fidelity can't match a PC, the environment design is beautiful. The first area has a much different look and feel to it than the Ancient Forest, rather than feeling like a budget version of it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I usually name the palicoes after my real-life cats (Jasmine and Frederic) but this time I'm gonna go for a theme of some kind

Maybe a Persona theme to go with the Persona kick I've been on lately. Hunter is Yu, dog is Koromaru, cat is Mona

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The monster intro movies/poems are so cool

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Monster Hunter Megathread: Turn off Auto Sheathe

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I can shoot the bug?!

Hit start and find the hunter's notes in the menu, there are pages for each weapon that list all the moves and explain what they do, along with some combo suggestions

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The monster intro movies/poems are so cool

:agreed:

If every big monster gets one of those I'm gonna be real stoked.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

MMF Freeway posted:

Saw this table on the mh dataminer guy's twitter. Seems useful, maybe should go in the OP?

Yeah, this is a good table for the OP. That Arekkz video was useful too.

Looks like the new Savage Axe-like move is actually not the same at all, just looks similar. This new Condensed Spinning Slash builds phials instead of spending them.

And we get 3 switchable skills per weapon? drat!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I can shoot the bug?!

Yes, that's one of the core aspects of the IG! You shoot the bug out to his monster parts, then retract it to get buffs. Having at least the red extract (often comes from a monster's head) changes your moveset entirely and makes it much more fluid and powerful.

Notably bugs tend to be really slow early in the game so if you're having a hard time now, try a different weapon first, and later on when you can make faster kinsects, you'll have an easier time grabbing extracts from monster parts.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

Shine posted:

Even if the graphics fidelity can't match a PC, the environment design is beautiful. The first area has a much different look and feel to it than the Ancient Forest, rather than feeling like a budget version of it.

Oh yeah they definitely did the best possible with what they had, and MHW did have some overdesigned areas in comparison to Rise's more utilitarian ones so it's not a downgrade as much as a different approach to form vs function

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

They've been making Monster Hunter on poo poo rear end underpowered consoles for a lot longer than the opposite. They're pretty good at it!

(I love my switch)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

How do you change Silkbind moves, or is that something you unlock later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloth Socks
May 13, 2005

dangling is the finest of all the arts in all the worlds

Lipstick Apathy
What are folks doing for the VO? I'm tempted to switch to the JP so it feels a little more appropriate, but I want to see how the player call-outs in hunts work first.