Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Shear Modulus posted:

climate change and also arabica is extremely vulnerable to a fungus called leaf rust so the fact that coffee production relies on a monoculture means an outbreak could spread like crazy

yeah I was thinking the same since most coffee is grown in the tropics

won't the same thing happen to tea?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

This end of day rally loving owns lmao. Why be down when you can be UP instead????

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

net work error posted:

This end of day rally loving owns lmao. Why be down when you can be UP instead????

New highs next week, folks. Number will go up. Number must go up. We are all relying on Number. We love you, Number.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

Shear Modulus posted:

just like how every new apartment has paper thin walls, poo poo construction, 600 ft2 or less of floor space, and faulty wiring but also granite countertops, stainless steel appliances, and a "fitness center" with two treadmills and is thus a luxury apartment

Ehhh they aren't THAT bad. All the ones I've seen are pretty large, thick walls, great wiring, the fitness center is larger than most gyms, there is a pool, sauna, steam room, hot room, hot tub, and often a tennis court as well.

Then everything gets bought up by a sovereign wealth fund or LLCs and rented at gently caress YOU prices.

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Tubgoat posted:

A dishwashing machine is a waste of time and resources, in my experience. Faster to wash by hand than to rinse everything off, Tetris everything into the racks, then rinse the film off the "clean" dishes, assuming the machine leaves nothing more than soap on things.

Neither the commercial food service dishwasher at work nor the consumer dishwasher at home actually degreases dishes and both leave soap and food stains in varying amounts, but the amount is never ever zero.

what about organic dishwashers?

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

MysteriousStranger posted:

Ehhh they aren't THAT bad. All the ones I've seen are pretty large, thick walls, great wiring, the fitness center is larger than most gyms, there is a pool, sauna, steam room, hot room, hot tub, and often a tennis court as well.

Then everything gets bought up by a sovereign wealth fund or LLCs and rented at gently caress YOU prices.

i thought folks were talking normal “luxury” apartments not consultant level ones

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

"Luxury" just means "new", anyone who wants luxury would just buy a condo/penthouse and not rent like some loser

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

fits my needs posted:

i thought folks were talking normal “luxury” apartments not consultant level ones

What I describe is pretty much everything that's been thrown up in the greater DC area right now. It's not all consultants, it's just what they are tossing up. There aren't even enough consultants here to make a dent in that, Amazon won't either. It's truly and utterly insane.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Literally every new apartment in my area is labelled "luxury" at this point lol

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

a miracle of capitalism. luxury apartments for all!

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
https://twitter.com/Aphyxium/status/1375089806137552897

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

Vox Nihili posted:

Always be branding. LLCs just scoop the poo poo up on mass based off location and what it says, nobody actually goes out to check what they are getting.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

euphronius posted:

a miracle of capitalism. luxury apartments for all!

They've more or less backdoored themselves into some level of truth at this point since anyone who can readily afford rent on them is basically in that segment of society now. Poors here are relegated to garages, RVs, and spare rooms now, maybe a mobile home if they've been around for decade or more.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Looking at condo layouts and the lovely little 4 foot wide balcony is called a "luxury outdoor living space" and I want to scream

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

Vox Nihili posted:

They've more or less backdoored themselves into some level of truth at this point since anyone who can readily afford rent on them is basically in that segment of society now. Poors here are relegated to garages, RVs, and spare rooms now, maybe a mobile home if they've been around for decade or more.

Pretty much. The way it all goes down is there is an affordable place that was built in the 1940s-70s that is perfectly good and has been upgraded a few times to have the "stuff" the area needs (ie gym, pool). Then the land lease runs out, everyone losses everything and all of a sudden stuff that was 1500-3000 a month to rent gets replaced with a massive new state of the art thing that costs 3000-5000 a month to rent. They can't rent all the units and everyone crams in another old building, then that repeats.

And then you have poo poo loads of empty condos and people in tent cities under the bridge and everyone wonders how the gently caress it happend.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

low key sex master posted:

Milton Friedman should be sent to the Hague

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Tubgoat posted:

A dishwashing machine is a waste of time and resources, in my experience. Faster to wash by hand than to rinse everything off, Tetris everything into the racks, then rinse the film off the "clean" dishes, assuming the machine leaves nothing more than soap on things.

Neither the commercial food service dishwasher at work nor the consumer dishwasher at home actually degreases dishes and both leave soap and food stains in varying amounts, but the amount is never ever zero.

I still believe this but COVID and seeing how poo poo people are. You know what? I’m not going to spend my time doing dishes. I’ll run the bitch twice if I have to.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
the is what capital means when is says "luxury"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4UC1vd0h1g

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Tubgoat posted:

Please clean your loving dishwasher. This is not at all my experience both with my in-apartment dishwasher and with the dishwashing machine at the back at the restaurant.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Tubgoat posted:

What are you using for dish machine detergent? When do you add it into the cycle? What is your water hardness?

bedpan has issued a correction as of 21:43 on Mar 26, 2021

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
Yeah I've genuinely never had that kind of problem and I've lived in like 6 different places. At worst I've had tiny bits of food get baked on because I didn't rinse the dishes off enough or whatever, but I've never had a film or something left on.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Admiral Ray posted:

Yeah I've genuinely never had that kind of problem and I've lived in like 6 different places. At worst I've had tiny bits of food get baked on because I didn't rinse the dishes off enough or whatever, but I've never had a film or something left on.
My dishwasher when I moved into my apartment didn't have the airtrap hooked up for whatever dumbshit reason, so yeah it left films and smelled weird. I got the landlord to fix the airtrap but it was still a little iffy for awhile even after cleaning it with vinegar/baking soda but it otherwise basically solved most of the problems. if you're having problems, check your air trap

I got a new one installed after the seals on that one broke a few months ago and seems to be working great. I also don't pay for water and it's definitely a nice time-saver and i'm partly OCD so it's great ot throw all the dirty spoons/dishes/plates/cups immediately after making and then eating dinner into a little box and it's out of sight-out-of-mind and t hen throw in a pod and let it do it's thing for 2.5 hrs. i've had apartments without dishwashers and imo it sucks a lot not having them. they aren't self-sterilizing machines so you do need to clean out the bottom traps, do some vinegar/soda cycles, etc occasionally.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Tubgoat posted:

there are dishwashers that work I toss heinous poo poo into mine and it usually gets whatever off and like maybe 5% of the time you just pull something it didn't quite get out and hand wash it

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

there's probably lots of "dishwashers" that are sorta fitting the legal definition of a dishwasher but don't do poo poo

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Xaris posted:

My dishwasher when I moved into my apartment didn't have the airtrap hooked up for whatever dumbshit reason, so yeah it left films and smelled weird. I got the landlord to fix the airtrap but it was still a little iffy for awhile even after cleaning it with vinegar/baking soda but it otherwise basically solved most of the problems. if you're having problems, check your air trap

I got a new one installed after the seals on that one broke a few months ago and seems to be working great. I also don't pay for water and it's definitely a nice time-saver and i'm partly OCD so it's great ot throw all the dirty spoons/dishes/plates/cups immediately after making and then eating dinner into a little box and it's out of sight-out-of-mind and t hen throw in a pod and let it do it's thing for 2.5 hrs. i've had apartments without dishwashers and imo it sucks a lot not having them. they aren't self-sterilizing machines so you do need to clean out the bottom traps, do some vinegar/soda cycles, etc occasionally.

you gotta get a stainless steel interior or the thing just gets grody as all hell

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Marzzle posted:

you gotta get a stainless steel interior or the thing just gets grody as all hell
unfortunately my landlord is cheap as gently caress and it's plastic inside lol

oh well my body is probably mostly microplastics at this point and my sperm is dead, gimme dem loving nanoplastics make me beautiful

if i ever own a house (LMAO lmaosd hadhahhahahahha) i'd definitely but a nice one

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

the water is soft in portland. other places though have to deal with scale buildup and that sucks

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If your dishwasher sucks you might need to run some CLR through it depending on if you have hard water

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

So the housing prices in Austin are becoming nuts. There is a current house down my street that just went up for sale for 485k. Two years ago it was priced at 250k.

poo poo is crazy yo.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Zil posted:

So the housing prices in Austin are becoming nuts. There is a current house down my street that just went up for sale for 485k. Two years ago it was priced at 250k.

poo poo is crazy yo.

look on the bright side, there's always more, and it's always worse.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

number goes up is the bright side, btw

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Seems like god isn't that good an investor

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Vox Nihili posted:

There's an old run down apartment not far from me that got a minor face-lift, then they slapped the words 'luxury flats' on the new sign they installed.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

someday :allears:

when number rewards me for loyalty

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
98% of "poor" households have a DISHWASHER

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I have two plates, one bowl, one cup, one spoon, one fork, and three knives I use, and I just wash them by hand after using them.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

human garbage bag posted:

I have two plates, one bowl, one cup, one spoon, one fork, and three knives I use, and I just wash them by hand after using them.

wow look at this guy with three knives

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Vox Nihili posted:

What the gently caress dude

pretty normal price in most of the east side grocery stores for beef. honestly usually no difference in price between conventional and organic pasture raised for many meats in my area.

edit: yeah it sucks.

Bar Ran Dun has issued a correction as of 22:23 on Mar 26, 2021

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Rutibex posted:

wow look at this guy with three knives

Wow look at this guy that has utensils. I just use my bare hands, like my mentor diogenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Zil posted:

Wow look at this guy that has utensils. I just use my bare hands, like my mentor diogenes.

big fan of lentils and their emancipatory potential that guy, sign a real intellect