Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
I'm not even going to Google that to see if that's a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

does anyone have any tips for Sucking Dick in the Big Shed please? ASAP
shoot it until it dies

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Always use protection, you don't want to get a status ailment.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Im_Special posted:

I'm not even going to Google that to see if that's a thing.
It is a thing.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Kenny Logins posted:

shoot it until it dies
thank you. Are the sirens just ambient noise or do they have gameplay relevance?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

thank you. Are the sirens just ambient noise or do they have gameplay relevance?
if you're hearing them, wait inside until your wanted star level reaches 5, then sneak out and hijack a tank. rotate the turret to the 6 o'clock position and keep firing it for speed boosts

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

- if you can't decide on the gender of your PC, enable the Lights Off option
- invest in the Kneepad armor set, it's an early game way to boost your stamina
- endgame stuff:put points in the prostate massage skill. it's high risk, high reward, but it can take the slog out of most boss fights
- 2 things to keep an eye out for when trying to get S-rank is speed and volume.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

the credits are super long but there's a bonus scene at the end so don't skip them

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I have absolutely no clue how serious any part of this conversation is, but I'm sure I don't want to know.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Always serious. This thread is a professional.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I'm not going to add these tips to the wiki unless it starts to become very clear that I should.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
It's a good game to take the edge off with.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

While we are at it, any tips for the Friends video game?!

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Mierenneuker posted:

Pivot

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Anything for Cyberpunk 2077 regarding trap builds/skills? I'd like to play a stealthy character, is it at all viable?

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Mierenneuker posted:

Chandler is a noob trap, always pick Ross.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

anilEhilated posted:

Anything for Cyberpunk 2077 regarding trap builds/skills? I'd like to play a stealthy character, is it at all viable?

Stealth is extremely viable, but it works best in combination with an investment in the crafting and hacking trees.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Mierenneuker posted:

At a certain point the game will suggest that you take a break. Do so if you like (although you don't really have a choice), but God help you if you use that break to play a different game.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

CaptainPsyko posted:

Stealth is extremely viable, but it works best in combination with an investment in the crafting and hacking trees.

Hacking yes, crafting is... That's a personal choice. Largely numbers don't matter, but they can if you spend an inordinate effort into it.

I paired my cool stat with strength and bonk sticks. For controller play it was really good.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Paper Tiger posted:

At a certain point the game will suggest that you take a break. Do so if you like (although you don't really have a choice), but God help you if you use that break to play a different game.

:golfclap:

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

KirbyKhan posted:

Hacking yes, crafting is... That's a personal choice. Largely numbers don't matter, but they can if you spend an inordinate effort into it.

I paired my cool stat with strength and bonk sticks. For controller play it was really good.

Mainly just for opening doors tbqh.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

CaptainPsyko posted:

Mainly just for opening doors tbqh.

I wish more games would bring back the classic Dragon's Tooth Lockpick technique from the first Deus Ex

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Captain Walker posted:

I wish more games would bring back the classic Dragon's Tooth Lockpick technique from the first Deus Ex
Right?
Anyhow, I played the first couple of hours and is it just my impressions or do the pistols really suck?

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

KirbyKhan posted:

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

Any tips for Möbius Front '83? The optimal order to do things in hasn't totally clicked for me - I still expect that rifle teams can disembark after moving the APC they're in.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Any tips for Sea of Thieves? It looks like it's changed a bit in the last year or so.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

The multiplayer scene is basically dead already, but I will happily team up with you anytime, anywhere

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

overeager overeater posted:

Any tips for Möbius Front '83? The optimal order to do things in hasn't totally clicked for me - I still expect that rifle teams can disembark after moving the APC they're in.
Unless it's changed since I played it last, the enemy AI is incredibly cowardly, and will almost never initiate attacks or even move into your attack range unless it knows it won't get hit back. This means it's possible to lock down entire sections of the map with anti-tank infantry in a forest--even the LAW teams that only have 1 range can be a huge deterrent depending on the terrain. This also means that ranged anti-tank vehicles are harder to use than you'd expect, because the enemy will almost always catch sight of them with another unit before you manage to trick a tank into their range. That said, the enemy AI is not omniscient, so they can be devastating sometimes if you really pay attention to sightlines.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

As people already said, stealth is very viable. Though you'll still want at least a bit of open combat capability as there are a handful of unavoidable bossfights.

There is one minor trap skill in stealth, the knife-throwing one. There's a chance the knife you throw may be unrecoverable after a hit (possibly a bug?), and the damage is fairly pitiful as well. A pistol with a suppressor will do the same thing better with much less hassle.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Here's an extended rewrite of the page for State of Decay:

- The game has an in-game day & night cycle (which takes 2 hours), but timers for facilities use real time. If a building project needs 1 hour to complete, you can quit the game, restart after an hour and it will have been finished.
- The daily upkeep costs for your base resources also make use of real time. The game simulates how much was consumed when you load a save. Not having enough resources will have a negative effect, but it's not a game ender.
- Using unsilenced firearms and explosives will constantly spawn more zeds. Silencers are essential for using firearms, but they only last a certain amount of shots before you need to replace them.
- For melee, blunt weapons are the best because they will knock down zeds and set them up for executes. Edged weapons simply don't deal with zeds efficiently until a survivor is very skilled at using them. Heavy weapons are slow and require timing to not get constantly clawed at by zeds.
- The game is bad at telling you all the moves your character can do in combat. Look up a move list online.
- You can hold an extra button while searching containers to speed it up, but it comes with the risk of triggering a loud noise and attracting zeds. It's not worth saving a couple seconds for that risk.
- By default you'll want to be carrying a melee weapon, a silenced firearm, a stack of ammo for it, stamina snacks and molotovs to deals with hordes/ferals. Even with large backpacks that will take up several inventory slots, but it's important to be prepared.
- A frustrating part early on is that you're constantly getting new missions and reminders of the ones you haven't finished yet. Focus on missions that say Ally In Trouble and Stranger In Trouble, since those can potentially lead to a survivor dying if you hold them off. Missions involving the army, the Wilkersons (in the East) and the courthouse (in the South) are all story related and can wait forever.
- Eventually you'll get a mission from Jacob to look for a potential new home site. You will be taken to the Savini Residence in the town of Marshall, but there's an even bigger home site in the same part of town, a bit to the North-West. This Snyder Trucking Warehouse is the best home site in the game, but you need 50 construction materials and 12 survivors before you can relocate there.
- The main feature of outposts is that they have a safe zone area and hordes who wander into it will be destroyed by traps. You can upgrade the traps on your facilities screen which will increase the safe zone radius on all outposts for 2 hours. It's best to have several outposts near your base so hordes can't reach it.
- To create an outpost you need to search every container, clear out the zeds and then use "establish outpost" through the Radio Assistance menu. If there are still resources left inside containers it will reduce the daily upkeep for that resource, but only for the first kind of resource shown.
- A basic workshop at your home site will automatically repair damaged weapons in the supply locker each day. A workshop (the second tier) will repair some parts of parked vehicles. A third tier workshop will repair parked vehicles completely.

Breakdown:
- You have a new menu tab that shows the available challenges which can unlock heroes (survivors with certain bonuses). Almost all of these challenges need to be done during a single level of Breakdown, your progress doesn't carry over to the next level.
- Stacks for consumable items go to 255 and you have a limit of 255 slots in your supply locker. It's hard to reach that limit during a campaign, but you'll definitely get to that point after several levels of Breakdown. It's best to get selective with your looting: do you really need another blunt weapon when you have a dozens at home?
- If you do reach the item limit consider establishing a temporary outpost near a conclave of neighbors. That way you can go back and forth to sell items at their supply locker. You'll lose some influence points in the process, but it is better than destroying items and getting nothing.

Lifeline:
- The bulk of the campaign involves dealing with a flow of base sieges, wandering hordes and civilian rescues. However, if you don't progress the second mission (finding Dr. Horn) you'll have plenty of time to upgrade your base, establish outposts and loot places. You'll even have two companions helping you at all times! Just keep in mind that (1) the game won't save at all until you make progress in that mission, and (2) your character will eventually suffer from fatigue and the stamina bar will start shrinking. If the stamina bar is at the halfway point you should wrap things up and finally resume that mission.
- Influence points are your main currency during Lifeline and can be used to call in resources at your base. Early on you still want to raid warehouses and storages for construction materials to upgrade your base tho. It costs influence to establish outposts, so until you've filled all your outpost slots you'll want to keep some influence in your pocket.
- After a siege has taken place, hordes will start appearing on the highway and start walking towards certain locations. If they reach their destination it will create an infestation, which makes rescuing civilians trickier. The best way to deal with hordes is to put your outposts close to highway ramps, so their traps will blow up them up before they arrive.
- The easiest way to handle a base siege is to use grenade launchers. You start with one in your supply locker and you'll find more of them in certain supply trucks belonging to the local gun shop. Those trucks are in fixed locations on the map (they aren't random spawns). Your NPC companions don't use ammo, so they'll have infinite grenades. After a couple of sieges you might want to use a launcher yourself, so upgrade to a munitions workshop to create more grenades.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Mar 29, 2021

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
I've bought Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order recently for the PC. Any advice other than that on the Wiki?

Is it OK to play with Keyboard+Mouse?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
No, I think the Wiki covers everything important. Only thing that comes to mind is to be careful when climbing curved surfaces - it's entirely possible to try to side-dash and lose your grip on the surface, which dumps you right into a bottomless abyss.

I would really not recommend KB+M for this game. It's made for playing with controllers and mouse would not benefit you anyway since there are no ranged weapons that you can use.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

There's nothing on the wiki for Ashen, and nothing in the thread either.

Any advice, especially if I'm new to Soulslike games, and want to make it easier for myself?

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Xander77 posted:

Black Flag has an excellent, coherent, and genuinely moving pirate plot. It's just not the least bit connected to the crystal skull or whatever the gently caress the Templars are on about this time around.
A bit late but I hate how the game waits to give you several nice upgrades until you are basically done with the plot itself.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It's a fairly conventional Soulslike and has no really unique mechanics, so most combat advice that applies to Souls games in general will also apply to this one.

I recommend getting some distance into the plot because you keep getting access to more and more NPCs very quickly, so don't waste too much time exploring the starting area before you've even really gotten started yet. They provide many helpful things.

The game will assign you a permanent NPC partner who appears whenever you leave the town area. That character will be replaced by a player whenever you do multiplayer. They all have personal quests that are worth pursuing for their rewards.

Water is lethal, don't try to swim.

Don't go into dark places without a light.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

This might be too specific for BIP, but having almost finished Rune Factory 3 I really wish I'd realized that you can grind your forging skill by upgrading stuff with scrap metal earlier. I probably sold 20-30 skill points' worth of scrap before figuring it out.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Kalenden posted:

I've bought Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order recently for the PC. Any advice other than that on the Wiki?

Is it OK to play with Keyboard+Mouse?

You unlock a double jump fairly late in the game. There's a pretty obvious set of traversal mechanics you unlock, and aside from getting health upgrades everything is cosmetics so it's not really a thing to worry about.

There's a giant monster on the first planet you can see from a distance. No, you won't eventually get to fight him.

Given how the soulslike combat and force powers work, I'd think playing kb+m would be extremely tricky unless you've played similar games with the same set-up.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:
I never played a souls like on PC and had no problem playing Fallen Order on keyboard and mouse.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

I picked up Bravely Default 2 - anything I should know that's different from the first/Bravely Second?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Just bought Resident Evil 7 and all it’s DLC. Anything I should know not covered by the wiki?