Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

split pea supremacy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
the only thing i know about all the new housing i see in the city is that there is no way i could get away with smoking weed in that poo poo

so you mine as well bulldoze it or burn it idgamf

^^^^yes the yellow split is a fine rear end bitch, somehow more nutrient packed than some lentils

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Bar Ran Dun posted:

pretty normal price in most of the east side grocery stores for beef. honestly usually no difference in price between conventional and organic pasture raised for many meats in my area.

edit: yeah it sucks.

Its crazy to me because I pay around $3-$5/pound for ground beef (at Costco) and live in an insanely high CoL area myself. Admittedly we buy 5-10 pounds at a time and freeze most of it, but still.

And the only time it hit that $5/pound point was during peak pandemic panic.

Vox Nihili has issued a correction as of 22:39 on Mar 26, 2021

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

post your fav veg lentil recipes tia

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Kesper North posted:

in seattle i just paid literally :10bux: for a pound of ground beef at Safeway, OP
I haven't had a problem buying ground beef tubes for $2-3/lb at grocery outlet, cash & carry, or smart & final at any point in the pandemic. I'm in norcal, but I checked seattle to see if anything is different. Prices look about the same to me.
https://groceryoutlet.com/circulars/storeid/233 $2/lb, GET YER BEEF TUBES.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

recipes are for suckers, just cook a bunch with whatever veggies you have around or are on sale added at the appropriate time (3:1 for 8 hours on low in a slow cooker, or brown rice setting on a rice cooker) and then make some coconut milk curry sauce with a shitload of hot peppers, stir it all together and bam

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

so mix with the yellow cheese powder in the macaroni box. got it

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I do lentils, a full head of cauliflower diced up, spices, and vegetable stock four hours on high

then when I actually eat some of it I add a hot curry paste and some salt, because the store only has the lovely green lentils atm

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

nm

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Zurtilik posted:

Is instant coffee really cheaper than just like a big ol jug of Folgers?

Seems to be a question of... Are you drinking cups or pots?

Napkin Math: ~$0.06/cup either way.
Assumptions: Zero waste per pot. Coffee Maker lasts 5 years. 6 oz cups.

Local PNW Prices:
  • Folger's, ground: $8.99 per 30.5 oz, or, ~$0.04 per cup.
  • Folger's, instant: $9.99 per 12 oz, or, ~$0.06 per cup.
  • (Folger's, pods: $9.99 per 12 pods, or, ~$0.83 per cup.)

Mr. Coffee is $25/maker, or, ~$0.02/pot (assuming 5 pots/week, 52 week/year, 5 year/maker).

edit:

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

RECIPE: MUJADDARA
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil ($0.32)
  • 4 yellow onions ($1.59)
  • 1 tsp cumin ($0.10)
  • 1 tsp allspice ($0.10)
  • 1/4 tsp ground cloves ($0.03)
  • 2.5 cups vegetable broth ($0.30)
  • 1 cup long grain white rice (or jasmine) ($0.33)
  • 1 cup brown lentils ($0.68)

Thin slice, caramelize onion. Cook half w/rice.

Accretionist has issued a correction as of 23:10 on Mar 26, 2021

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Xaris posted:

I also don't pay for water and it's definitely a nice time-saver and i'm partly OCD so it's great ot throw all the dirty spoons/dishes/plates/cups immediately after making and then eating dinner into a little box and it's out of sight-out-of-mind and t hen throw in a pod and let it do it's thing for 2.5 hrs.

it's a pretty common misperception that dishwashers use a lot of water, they actually use so much less water than hand washing that using a dishwasher is about on par with hand washing carbon-wise despite taking 1-2kWh of energy per load. turns out the power for the dishwasher is roughly equal to the amount of energy burned to heat the water for hand washing.

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!

Shifty Pony posted:

it's a pretty common misperception that dishwashers use a lot of water, they actually use so much less water than hand washing that using a dishwasher is about on par with hand washing carbon-wise despite taking 1-2kWh of energy per load. turns out the power for the dishwasher is roughly equal to the amount of energy burned to heat the water for hand washing.

technology connections did a video on YouTube about dishwashers recently. it was very interesting (all of his videos are)

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

You almost certainly cannot hand wash your dishes more efficiently than even bottom tier dishwashers can

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
is the thread seriously arguing over appliances

every household should absolutely own a dishwasher, clothes washer, fridge, and microwave.

dryers kind of suck, but what else you gonna do if you live where it's incredibly humid

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
christ. if we could invest in basic dishwashers for the third world, it would absolutely be a victory

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

appliances are or should be a major part of the economy

I guess they are not as sexy as nft tweets

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

would you copy paste a wine cooler?

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

how can I see firsthand who is making big market shifting trades?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Fart Car '97 posted:

You almost certainly cannot hand wash your dishes more efficiently than even bottom tier dishwashers can

what if i put them in a mesh sack and leave them in the river over night

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Rutibex posted:

this is how I make wet eggs

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Rutibex posted:

That doesn't involve numbers so nope

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Accretionist posted:

RECIPE: MUJADDARA
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil ($0.32)
  • 4 yellow onions ($1.59)
  • 1 tsp cumin ($0.10)
  • 1 tsp allspice ($0.10)
  • 1/4 tsp ground cloves ($0.03)
  • 2.5 cups vegetable broth ($0.30)
  • 1 cup long grain white rice (or jasmine) ($0.33)
  • 1 cup brown lentils ($0.68)

Thin slice, caramelize onion. Cook half w/rice.
bless

peepeepants
Oct 9, 2001

I hope that after I die, people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

Xaris posted:

My dishwasher when I moved into my apartment didn't have the airtrap hooked up for whatever dumbshit reason, so yeah it left films and smelled weird. I got the landlord to fix the airtrap but it was still a little iffy for awhile even after cleaning it with vinegar/baking soda but it otherwise basically solved most of the problems. if you're having problems, check your air trap

this and don't forget to clean the pump filter at the bottom of the machine. it may require a screwdriver or alley key to get to it but it is pretty easy to do yourself. appliance manuals are pretty easy to find and they show you how to do it.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Crazypoops posted:

This is so dumb and I lol anyway

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

vodkat posted:

how can I see firsthand who is making big market shifting trades?

you can't (and that's by design), lots of twitter chatter on someone blowing up. Could be related to greensill, which is extremely spicy

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Boil 1/2 cup dried lentils until soft.
Add fish sauce and black pepper to taste.
After consuming, poo poo in public and scream at Joe Biden to get the gently caress out of your sunlight.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
how’s that boat doing?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

The boat is up at closing

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

boil joel biden in 1/2 cup lentils until mush

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Fart Car '97 posted:

The boat is up at closing

it’s 200 inches above the waterline

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Zil posted:

So the housing prices in Austin are becoming nuts. There is a current house down my street that just went up for sale for 485k. Two years ago it was priced at 250k.

poo poo is crazy yo.

I live in Leander (a suburb of Austin) and the houses in my neighborhood sold between $400k - $600k back in September. Since February they’ve been going for $575k - $875k.

This article has some great details, Austin is currently the craziest market in the country.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/report-houses-in-austin-selling-for-more-over-asking-price-than-any-major-u-s-city/

Some choice quotes:

"An average Austin home listed at $400,000 sold for $428,000 [+7% over asking] from Feb. 14 to March 14."

"The average person looking to move to Austin has a $852,500 home-buying budget, Redfin’s report says, and that’s 32% more than current Austin residents looking to buy a home."

"Austin-Round Rock home prices jump almost 24%"

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

https://www.daringgourmet.com/misir-wat-ethiopian-spiced-red-lentils/

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I have never had a dishwasher. I don't believe they exist either.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
you can wash dishes? i just shatter my dirty dollar tree plates on the ground when i go to buy more plates

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

in instant pot, add oil and set to sauté, scoop most of a can of red/green/karee curry paste when oil is hot. add ginger or garlic now if you want. add 1 big can of stewed tomatoes. add garam, or other spices if you want. add 1lb red lentils and fill up way over lentils with either water, veggie stock or coconut milk. cook lentils for 30 min, depressurize.

from here you can hit it with the immersion blender for a thick and filling soup, or add fresh or frozen veggies and diced panner and let em cook for another ten min for a lentil stew.

can feed 2 people for like 5 days straight.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Rectal Death Adept posted:

you can wash dishes? i just shatter my dirty dollar tree plates on the ground when i go to buy more plates
check out mr moneybags over here with his plates that shatter instead of crumple

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

that’s a good dish for Ethiopian food , im forced to admit.

https://www.mysomalifood.com/lahooh-and-lentil/

our version is better though.

PawParole has issued a correction as of 02:52 on Mar 27, 2021

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Twerk from Home posted:

is the thread seriously arguing over appliances

every household should absolutely own a dishwasher, clothes washer, fridge, and microwave.

here in Brazil even upper middle class homes do not have dishwashers and most of them suck

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

https://www.istheshipstillstuck.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

I'm happy for number