Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Alright, thats what I thought, I’ll just hold off

I may not have been clear in that rambling post: 3rd party, made-for-Switch hubs do work whereas standard 3rd party USB C hubs don't. That C-Force I linked should work and is available overnight, getting mine today.

stev posted:

Is there a good primer anywhere about how village and hub quests work? I'm hearing that village quests only cover low rank, but hub quests are designed around multiplayer? So I'll essentially be crippled for the majority of the game if I don't want to play online?

They both have LR (1* - 3*) and HR (4* - 7*) quests. Hub monsters are tougher than village, but it seems like GU and earlier where they're tougher by 1.6x instead of 2.5x like in World. Perfectly doable solo, but a bigger challenge than village for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
Not sure whether I like the faster pace or not yet. The animations lost their weight since they just seem to have sped the original ones up a notch and 4 players with 4 pets seems a tad too chaotic with effects going off all over the screen.
On the other hand, it feels much more fluid than before when zipping around 🌚

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Hammer is so loving good in this game. I mean, it’s always been good, but I love the new stance and the wirebug moves feel so good to do.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Just unlocked four-star village quests last night. I cannot wait to fight legendary four-star monster Pukei-Pukei. :kimchi:

I really like that. It simultaneously shows that the PC hunters from MHW's commission fleets really are extremely good; and also that Rise is a much more personal story about a secret ninja village trying to survive when the most dangerous thing the village's hunters would normally have been expected to face is Slightly Bigger Raptor and/or A Bear.

Edit: Hammer is fun. My muscle memory from world keeps loving me up, though. I really like the swap between spinning hammer and dash hammer, I just keep switching back and getting hit because I'm trying to power charge. :haw:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Mar 27, 2021

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

After a lot of deliberation and spinning an rng wheel after every hunt, I've finally decided to main Hammer, Hunting Horn, Great Sword, Switch Axe, Charge Blade, Lance, Gunlance, Sword and Shield, Dual Blades, Long Sword, Insect Glaive, Light Bowgun, Heavy Bowgun, and Bow.

It was a lot of work paring down the list but I can' t wait to pick back the other weapons up later!

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Hammer is so loving good in this game. I mean, it’s always been good, but I love the new stance and the wirebug moves feel so good to do.

Seriously, I grabbed hammer as my first weapon out of the gate because I figured I'd start simple before trying other weapons, but it's been so hard to put it down. Impact Crater is a beastly move and doing the swap from blue > yellow stance for an instant full charge to maximize its damage feels slick as hell, and the unlockable Dash Breaker is a great gap closer that both does more damage when you're charged, and also maintains your charge through it, so you can glide straight into a fully charged slam when a monster tries to move away from you.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
I went and killed the wroggi in hub for Fashion Hunter reasons.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
My #1 tip for Rise, especially for those that haven't dipped into hub yet because they're doing solo stuff first:

They've made it easy to complete any hub quest: make an online hub (create lobby), go to the quest board in your hub and pick "Join via Request" or whatever it's called and pick any quest you want and it will put you in that quest online with other people already on it. This is HUGE for checkmark completists like me.

Also got the bonus jackpot of "join a quest, literally 3 seconds later they captured the monster"

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Oh yeah, forgot to mention I got my Brook Wingman NS today. Super solid converter for either Dual Shock 4 (now supports the Dual Sense too!) and Xbone controllers.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Triarii posted:

Seriously, I grabbed hammer as my first weapon out of the gate because I figured I'd start simple before trying other weapons, but it's been so hard to put it down. Impact Crater is a beastly move and doing the swap from blue > yellow stance for an instant full charge to maximize its damage feels slick as hell, and the unlockable Dash Breaker is a great gap closer that both does more damage when you're charged, and also maintains your charge through it, so you can glide straight into a fully charged slam when a monster tries to move away from you.

Wait, there’s an unlockable dash move??

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
So does CB just not have any way to build mounting damage?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Smash out monhun, complete everything, put game down. Wait three years to play the next one. Completely forget all controls. Is my brain extra broken with the weird Nintendo button layout or did they remap a bunch of stuff?

Also props for putting in the A/B swap, Capcom. Unfortunately it doesn't affect the picking up items or other actions so I wound up just changing it back to A.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Sheath, jump and attack is about the only way I’ve managed it so far.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Does anyone use the switch skill guard tackle on great sword? I haven't figured out what it's good for yet but it's really hard for me to change up the shoulder tackle

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Was Switch Axe always able to bail out of Wild Swing or the Wild Swing morph attack at so many different points? I swear wild swing feels like one of its SAFEST moves now :psyduck:

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

This, uh, sounds like a bad bug. Stay safe, hunters.
https://twitter.com/monsterhunter/status/1375814308806938629?s=19

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Someone in this thread mentioning this happening to them. Hopefully they get it sorted it out quick because yeah that’s real bad.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The counter-attack moves from the Silkblind counter do blue damage.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

If anyone wants to dabble in LBG Rise has a great entry point. Starter LBG has burst fire normal 1 ammo and the Hunter Gun(ore route) has burst Normal 2. Reloads are fast on both.

Honestly might main LBG for a while this game. Wires make it super mobile and the controls just feel good on Switch.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

The new icons on the ammo list are brilliant too, a neat QoL upgrade. Was it in World? Only time I used a bowgun was in GU.

I'm planning to do most monsters with CB first but to do repeats for mats with the LBG.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

the lbg switch skill that swings you sideways is really fun. hbg switch skills i'm less enthusiastic about, the healing special ammo one just seems lame

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Just unlocked switch skills. The SA one where you go airborne is fun but goddamn difficult to land unless the monster is immobile, but i suppose that is the point

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Dang, the lore relics are really well hidden, or I'm terrible at finding them. I managed to find like 3 on the first map after looking in some high places, but scouring the other maps I was lucky to find 1.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Oh yeah, forgot to mention I got my Brook Wingman NS today. Super solid converter for either Dual Shock 4 (now supports the Dual Sense too!) and Xbone controllers.

Difference from the mayflash? I am looking for a converter myself and was about to pull the trigger on the mayflash.

Also more CB talk. Is there any drawback to the counter morph slash? I am not really catching the difference in terms of actual performance. Between the two. The way they read it sounds like it is a never not use the morph counter skill over the normal skill cause it does the same thing but with a better discharge after counter.

So why would you not use morph counter skill.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I really appreciate the more convenient Forge/Upgrade Weapon menu at the blacksmith and that the armor in your inventory is neatly organized by set

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

The Gaijin Hunter video for HBG has some cool details like the guard point in the melee attack and quick sheath after wirebind move that are new to Rise: https://youtu.be/f6Hsnom0HcQ His videos generally had those kind of details, pity he's not doing them anymore.

Gonna play with both LBG/HBG a bunch.

Monsters seem to drop more parts during hunts. Like that those are now way more visible than in World. They've put in a ton of QoL updates.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Kilazar posted:

Difference from the mayflash? I am looking for a converter myself and was about to pull the trigger on the mayflash.

This is a good comparison to the 8bitdo, which seems like a good device too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XyvDWf901o

I've liked the Mayflash NS a lot, they keep the device updated via software update. Just flashed the latest update which adds Dual Sense 5 support. They've added many new controllers since I bought it in 2018.

Mayflash support responded to my requests for improvements which is refreshing. They even implemented some nitpicky feature I asked for and then put me in touch with a dev who politely said no to the other feature request (some way to turn off the DS4's led to save battery).

The USB passthrough slot is neat and useful since it lets you pair the device by just plugging it in there. Once you use it through the USB port, the device is also paired for Bluetooth - a nice touch.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

v1ld posted:

The Gaijin Hunter video for HBG has some cool details like the guard point in the melee attack and quick sheath after wirebind move that are new to Rise: https://youtu.be/f6Hsnom0HcQ His videos generally had those kind of details, pity he's not doing them anymore.

What are you talking about he is still going to do rise videos

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Really wanna get a little deeper in the game to see how some of these Bowgun strats hold up. Shotgun permastun HBG was the build in World but charging ammo seems pretty neat - I'm wondering if Slicing ammo could be totally nuts again, or what the deal with Shrapnel shots are

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Augus posted:

I really appreciate the more convenient Forge/Upgrade Weapon menu at the blacksmith and that the armor in your inventory is neatly organized by set

It's really good, is this the first time armor and weapons have actually been organized when you go to change equipment? I don't remember it in World but it seems to make so much sense.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

My beloved insect glaive... it is so good

I don't even have the cool silkbind attack or the counter move yet and it's already just really really nice to use

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Chin Strap posted:

What are you talking about he is still going to do rise videos

Oh, that's good to hear.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Kilazar posted:

Also more CB talk. Is there any drawback to the counter morph slash? I am not really catching the difference in terms of actual performance. Between the two. The way they read it sounds like it is a never not use the morph counter skill over the normal skill cause it does the same thing but with a better discharge after counter.

It's a longer animation but a better guard point basically. I think it's probably better than the default move overall but that's the tradeoff

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Kilazar posted:

The trade off is that they're much slower attacks with longer recovery so if you whiff the transform you're in a bad spot. They're great if that's the playstyle you're going for though! I've been using Savage mode mainly so I haven't been transforming into sword mode at all, kept the basic transform moves to keep them snappy. I bet you can do silly stuff with Morph Counter + that new skill that gives CB bonus damage after a successful guard point + max elemental skills + unleashing a massive counter SAED

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I’ve seen people mention the switch axe has different modes but I don’t see those in the switch skills - are there literally different weapon trees with different play styles? Very cool if so, I know Gunlance has different shelling types which I never understood

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"

v1ld posted:

Oh, that's good to hear.

He’s just not doing them as soon as he’s done them previously because he wants to play through the game with his daughter first.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Played some 4 player hunts this morning and was blown away by how well performance holds up. Had a blast blasting away at the poor mons with the lads. Multiplayer and lobby stuff was really seamless and easy to figure out. My only gripe is with how poor Nintendo's online is and the fact that I have to run a cable from my Switch to my laptop so I can monitor the audio from my Switch and have Discord audio in the same headset, but that isn't Monster Hunter's fault. This game is truly something special so far.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Triarii posted:

The hammer is so so so good this time. Wirebugs make it so fun. I am for sure leveling hammers if not maiming them

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

v1ld posted:

Oh, that's good to hear.

Yeah he turned down early access to the game for content creation as he’s opting to play the game with his daughter. He posted a heads up about it a few months ago. I imagine he’ll begin to produce in a week or two.

I finally cleared Village up to 6* and unlocked the Special Licenses to jump up to HR in Hub. Now the real game begins but I’m also broke so I can’t actually craft any HR gear (yet). I figure I’ll follow a similar armor path in HR until I unlock more decorations and armors so time to farm Izuchi for my starting HR set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Cant Ride A Bus posted:

He’s just not doing them as soon as he’s done them previously because he wants to play through the game with his daughter first.

Yeah he didn't take advantage of reviewer status for early access because of that