Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is it just me or do the palico and palmutes feel alot less prone to getting their poo poo kicked in compared to previous entries? I remember them fainting all the time in World to random monster hits but I've like completely forgotten to give any gear at all to my palico and I dont think they've ever passed out a single time even in HR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

iirc monhun rise launched with more monsters than world did at launch and given how maps seem less prone to make certain skeletons freak the hell out i can imagine we might be seeing rise with more monsters than world ever had once everything is said and done at the end of its update schedule

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

thebardyspoon posted:

I don't really get the utility/design reasons behind designing this nice village setting and then once you get to high rank, forcing you to go into the hub to see the high rank quest list. Like, just let me see the full quest list from either of the twins?

I'm curious how the lategame grind is going to feel without investigations (I assume they're not in, they haven't cropped up yet) cause those felt like a good way to get a bit more of a chance to get the rare poo poo. Do you just keep repeating the main quests that contain the monster you want poo poo from? For some reason that feels more nakedly grindy even though it's essentially just a nomenclature thing.
It's pretty much the same design as most of the pre World games, especially in the initial releases before the G rank version comes out. It's kinda perfunctory but village is a tutorial. In some of the older games you couldn't move freely between village and hub while in multiplayer so that's why the split exists in the first place, so pretty much historical reasons.

World also, was an outlier in terms of endgame. Monhan typically doesn't have much of an endgame. They had the charm grind but that was just something that happened while you were hunting anyway, 4 and Generations added the forest/expeditions which were interesting but I think people largely didn't care about them. Even vanilla World's streamstone grind was atrociously bad, although Iceborne endgame was a bit better.

So, I wouldn't get your hopes up too much, and just enjoy hunting. At least since it's on a Nintendo system there's probably going to be a lot of good collab quests.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Johnny Joestar posted:

iirc monhun rise launched with more monsters than world did at launch and given how maps seem less prone to make certain skeletons freak the hell out i can imagine we might be seeing rise with more monsters than world ever had once everything is said and done at the end of its update schedule

Yeah, there's definitely more "types" out of the gate that we didn't see in World. That said, I feel if they approach DLC/updates anything like they did in World, it's harder to insert in a lot of stuff later since people expect new stuff to be a harder challenge. Great Jagras, Odogaron, even some of the wierdos from GenU and before like Seltus Queen or Malfestio don't really fit in as good update material short of adding master rank. Or I guess they could be Apex versions or something? I haven't really seen how that pays out.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

My one complaint about the roster is that they tease me with that adorable baby Tetsucabra in the hub but don't let me fight my beloved sumo frog :(

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Human being for president.
woof was Almudron frustrating with SnS

armored body, weak spot flailing around like crazy, head difficult to reach

a trifecta of crap

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Crowetron posted:

My one complaint about the roster is that they tease me with that adorable baby Tetsucabra in the hub but don't let me fight my beloved sumo frog :(

yeah :(

actually my other complaint is no Ododoggo, there's not enough Incredibly Angry Beclawed Ninja Dog in this game

Maxxim
Mar 10, 2007

You're overcome by an indescribably odd sensation...!
Went for an animal crossing theme with my hunter + buddies:

i can barely tell the difference

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Well drat, twice now I've double-carted in 3* hub quests, causing them to fail when one other person also carted. I feel like I'm taking way too much damage per hit, compared to watching my teammates' health bars, but my armor looks like it should be okay-ish? I'm still using a bunch of random pieces from the second tier, so between 16-22 per piece. The third tier only just opened up with the Magnamalo set, but I can't craft any of it yet. Should I be focusing on maxing out the upgrades for each of my pieces or what?

Resting Raichu
Oct 26, 2020

Bring back Queropeco! I miss that stupid monster.

Kagrenac
Jan 14, 2017

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Is it just me or do the palico and palmutes feel alot less prone to getting their poo poo kicked in compared to previous entries? I remember them fainting all the time in World to random monster hits but I've like completely forgotten to give any gear at all to my palico and I dont think they've ever passed out a single time even in HR.

Instead of fainting they just sit down and start glowing green while they regenerate. They will still let you ride them which is probably the reason why it was changed.

You should always max out your armor since early armorspheres become completely worthless to you as you advance in the game.

Kagrenac fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 28, 2021

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

404notfound posted:

Well drat, twice now I've double-carted in 3* hub quests, causing them to fail when one other person also carted. I feel like I'm taking way too much damage per hit, compared to watching my teammates' health bars, but my armor looks like it should be okay-ish? I'm still using a bunch of random pieces from the second tier, so between 16-22 per piece. The third tier only just opened up with the Magnamalo set, but I can't craft any of it yet. Should I be focusing on maxing out the upgrades for each of my pieces or what?

Unless you’re getting 1-shot you should just dial it back a bit and play more defensively (depending on the weapon you use). Get your subs to hunt for herbs and honey and start chugging mega potions non-stop the second you get hit a few times. Also use wire fall to recover from a hit and use it to move AWAY from the monster then heal up. Hunts are 50 minutes, you shouldn’t feel rushed at any time, especially in a group. Focus on staying alive over everything else.

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

yeah :(

actually my other complaint is no Ododoggo, there's not enough Incredibly Angry Beclawed Ninja Dog in this game

Aww, my favourite armour set as well :(

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Yeah the Odogaron armor sets look so cool. That's one thing that I'm not sure how much existed in other games, but with its whole death theme, World had some dope armor sets that looked like Mad Max motorcycle armor.

Also I LOVE the Anjanath intro video. Like, in every single one, there's the implication that the monster gets eaten, but in this one they make absolutely sure to show you that no dont worry the Felyne gets away and does not get eaten

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I found what's been making those roaring sounds at the Frost Islands... :stare:

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I tried this out a little bit in the training room and while charging Piercing ammo does give you a damage bonus you'd actually care about, Shrapnel shots got boosted from like, 7x3 to 9x3 or something, really underwhelming overall. But maybe there's a LBG that can rapid fire it and it's nuts or something

I've been using shrapnel ammo if I land a wyvernblast mine on a weird spot, like the edge of sleep otter's veil or something.

I think it's actually a fine ammo for just that, clearing out small stuff. It's basically a utility ammo for the quests when you need to kill a bunch of little monsters, and it's A+ for killing desert fish. Just think of it like status ammo, it's there for a certain utility and doesn't have to be for damage.

I could have sworn I have seen an lbg with rapid fire shrapnel, though, so it's possible it's more than just for killing little stuff.

E: just checked, rathian's lbg has rapid fire shrapnel, so maybe that.

LITERALLY MY FETISH fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Mar 29, 2021

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Insect glaive users:

Tornado Slash or Tetraseal Slash? I feel like Tetraseal has potential but it feels weird being rooted in place for such a long animation, especially with the insect glaive.

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If my dog is allowed to have three heads, he should also be allowed to wear three sets of steel dentures.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Tornado slash can clear a cluster of those bushes in one move. V. powerful.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Alright I learned something moderately important, Jump Master (can't be knocked back during jumps) does not appear to work when using Silkbind attacks or when just using them to launch yourself. So, either the game has a weird definition of when you are technically considered "jumping" (ie the Hammer Silk attacks that launch you do not count as jumping), or it doesn't protect you against attacks and is only meant to protect you against like, roars or something. Or maybe it does basically nothing like it apparently does in World

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Harrow posted:

Insect glaive users:

Tornado Slash or Tetraseal Slash? I feel like Tetraseal has potential but it feels weird being rooted in place for such a long animation, especially with the insect glaive.

I hate Tetraseal Slash but that seems to mostly be because it fucks with my muscle memory. Being stuck absolutely suuuuuucks.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Alright I learned something moderately important, Jump Master (can't be knocked back during jumps) does not appear to work when using Silkbind attacks or when just using them to launch yourself. So, either the game has a weird definition of when you are technically considered "jumping" (ie the Hammer Silk attacks that launch you do not count as jumping), or it doesn't protect you against attacks and is only meant to protect you against like, roars or something. Or maybe it does basically nothing like it apparently does in World

I'm going take a guess that it's exclusively things that aren't silkbind, like jumping from a ledge or from your dog? I want to say I saw something else that specified it didn't apply to silkbind moves, so they are probably classified separately.

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

Fought rathalos with lance and holy poo poo I'm gonna be spending more time with this weapon. Him flying around like a dick is completely a non-issue

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

In Training posted:

Also does anybody know some good fishing spots. I need an Armored Bream to make a CB I'm lookin at...

Armored Bream is actually a bonus reward from trading for herbs or fishes with the Argosy. I can't say 100%, but traditionally those kind of bonus rewards are exclusive. And I love that I can just check the list of bonus rewards instead of having to try to remember where they come from.

General thoughts:

One day I will use a weapon that isn't dual blades. Today is not that day. Hunting horn is fun, but it ain't dual blades. So many numbers. Aerial charge, feral demon mode, just constant attacks.
New monsters are all pretty great. It is really nice to get back to monsters that aren't all dinosaurs and lizards.
The additional data on monsters and drops in-game is great, although occasionally incomplete. For instance, I am assuming that Barroth's defenses still change based on whether is is mud covered, which isn't mentioned.
The new mount system is fun, letting two monsters duke it out, then riding the loser and making it beat up the winner is always entertaining.
I miss waving at hot air balloons.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Is there some kind of special situational thing with CB's Counter Peak Performance? I've noticed a handful of time where I definitely had it up in time to eat a roar, but it didn't.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Professor Latency posted:

Fought [ANYTHING] with lance and holy poo poo I'm gonna be spending more time with this weapon. [ANNOYING poo poo MONSTER DOES] is completely a non-issue

Welcome to Lance, friend.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Made the rathian LBG to try out the rapid fire shrapnel. Gonna be a big "lol" and thumbs up from me.

Especially funny when the counter signal comes out and suddenly each pellet of shrapnel is doing 20 damage, so you're just shredding a tetra in 4 seconds flat with multiple hundred damage a click shrapnel 2s.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Professor Latency posted:

Fought rathalos with lance and holy poo poo I'm gonna be spending more time with this weapon. Him flying around like a dick is completely a non-issue

Yes. This, but for every monster.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Oh wow, the unlockable lance silkbind attack is so much fun. Lance is great. It's also the only weapon I haven't seen another of (Seen infinite LS, a surprising number of Horn, and just one gunlance)

Lhet fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Mar 29, 2021

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I started playing Monster Hunter with World so I'm not entirely sure how the whole hub thing works yet. I understand the divide between village and hub quests (and why the new special license quests are a nice QoL upgrade) but I've been hesitant to jump into multiplayer with randoms because I don't really know how the structure of it works yet.

Should I be making my own lobbies to hunt specific monsters? Should I just join a lobby and do whatever quests people post? Can you still just SoS join like World?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

You can still SoS join, yeah. Lobbies are for groups that you want to stick around for more than one hunt; ideally they're round robin but randos are gonna rando.

Plus, a lot of lobbies are one person constantly doing SOS quests anyway, so you might as well just SOS join quests unless you have a group already.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Harrow posted:

I started playing Monster Hunter with World so I'm not entirely sure how the whole hub thing works yet. I understand the divide between village and hub quests (and why the new special license quests are a nice QoL upgrade) but I've been hesitant to jump into multiplayer with randoms because I don't really know how the structure of it works yet.

Should I be making my own lobbies to hunt specific monsters? Should I just join a lobby and do whatever quests people post? Can you still just SoS join like World?
SoS is called "join request" now, it's there but it works a little bit differently. Or you can make a lobby and tag it with what you're doing, if you're farming a specific monster or doing keys or whatever, and hope someone joins. Or join one randomly, whatever

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Lhet posted:

Oh wow, the unlockable lance silkbind attack is so much fun. Lance is great. It's also the only weapon I haven't seen another of (Seen infinite LS, a surprising number of Horn, and just one gunlance)

it's pretty easy to learn too(source: me, a huge idiot who is bad at games). it's just poke, poke poke, hop or counter, poke, poke poke oops the monster got far away I'll just dash over there real quick and so on

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Wish I could get into modern GS. I had a blast in GU but in World and now Rise I just cannot get these slashes off...

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Tender Bender posted:

Yeah, wielding Hunting Horn is like flipping around with a big agile warhammer. I love it. I don't know if the doubleswing after a forward pound is new or if I just never knew about it but it feels incredible.

It's new! World Horn did not have any of these fluid combo moves, at least not as standard moves (ie not counting stuff like combing into a forward recital). The closest it had to a standard combo move was the hilt stab, which was mostly for adding extra notes or chaining Echo Spins, rather than doing damage.

Setting the music/recital changes aside (which certainly has pros and cons), I think most World Horn mains would agree that Horn's standard moveset is far more exciting now, with all these moves that chain into each other. It's good poo poo. I do miss landing and encoring a triple Impact Wave and spamming Echo Spins, but the new Horn is plenty of fun on its own merits. The Melody: Echo recital attack is hella satisfying.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Monsters in village quests die way too fast.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Made the rathian LBG to try out the rapid fire shrapnel. Gonna be a big "lol" and thumbs up from me.

Especially funny when the counter signal comes out and suddenly each pellet of shrapnel is doing 20 damage, so you're just shredding a tetra in 4 seconds flat with multiple hundred damage a click shrapnel 2s.

It seems like there's certain moves that are just completely juiced with the counter signal. Doing the hammer silkbind move where you jump in the air has each residual hit for like 100+ and then your final smash is 400

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Wish I could get into modern GS. I had a blast in GU but in World and now Rise I just cannot get these slashes off...

Huh. I got into GS with World, and tried to go back to GU and it just felt so wrong. The one style with the sheathe counter was cool though.

Granted, I whiffed tons of True Charge Slashes in World, and it seems like it'd be even harder to get them in Rise if you don't know your poo poo.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Ojetor posted:

Monsters in village quests die way too fast.

Always been this way. Hub feels good solo if you like more HP mons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Finally started my journey on the Way of the Clown Suit and I have to say I'm sadder about not wearing full sets in this game than in World or GU. They've done such a fantastic job of armor (and weapon!) design here.

Stuck to using only bowguns today and it's been fun, will probably do this first run with them.

Haven't been this excited about a game in forever. It's great when your already hype excitement is bettered by the actual game.

As another goon said earlier, if you're using gyro aiming with ranged weapons (you should!) turn down the gyro sensitivity to somewhere in the 15-30 range. May want to keep horizontal sensitivity a bit higher than vertical - I have mine at 20 vert, 30 horizontal I think.