Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Hi Pan! It's Um, your favourite double dwarf'ed cow. With the power of cupcakes. We wanted to catch up, and we were also looking for help doing the dream scape thing without the cupcakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

HBar posted:

"I had a proper name when we last spoke, when I was only one person. Now I am two in one body, or three if you count the cow. Again I Dream with the aid of an ethereal rimrose cupcake. What do you make of my new condition?"

Link to our first conversation with Panacea, for anyone else who needs a refresher.

I had forgotten Panacea already gave us some tips for Dreaming without cupcakes, and maybe we should start attempting these:
1. Lucid dreaming. Dreaming with a capital D happens in the same realm as dreaming, we just need to manifest our will to see it properly.
2. Reject reality. Fully accept that the realm we see as real is an illusion and the Dream world is the true one.

Outrail posted:

Hi Pan! It's Um, your favourite double dwarf'ed cow. With the power of cupcakes. We wanted to catch up, and we were also looking for help doing the dream scape thing without the cupcakes.

The figure swirls for five instances, blurring from the inside-out before a blink returns them to focus.

"The Cupcake Dreamer from months past? Well colour me intrigued." A small laugh stretches out the space between his words. "Let me guess, full of passion and empty of thought, you thrust your Will upon the world and turned your soul inside out, becoming naught but a shambling horror, heralding the doom of this world?" The question posed sounds more like a private joke than a serious query, something further reinforced by what he says next. "But no. You are far too chatty to be quiet so far gone - but the damage done is plain to see.

My, what a predicament you bring me, Dreamer! But you have done me service before, I see no reason why I should not return the favour. But, ah, I would need your permission for Diagnosis. As for the cure, well, let us first establish what went wrong. Could you elaborate?"

???
Do you give Panacea permission to perform a diagnosis?

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003
Yes, he seems like a trustworthy fellow

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Hot Dog Day 80 posted:

I concur

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Hot Dog Day 80 posted:

I mean his name is cure-all so...

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Go for it.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

"Our will? Oh, something to that effect. The cow is a bit odd and seems harmless enough, but..." + Explain to Panacea what happened.

Yes.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Arcanuse posted:

"Our will? Oh, something to that effect. The cow is a bit odd and seems harmless enough, but..." + Explain to Panacea what happened.

Yes.

+1

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Trouble on the Rim, Book 2, Chapter 8
A Field Day
A Dream

The Thirteenth of December, 347 A.R.
Part 13: Doctor in the house

You give your assent and the odd, reddish figure nods. Turning his hand, with the rest of his figure static, unmoving, Panacea pulls at something unseen and your ethereal form physically numbs.
You are lifted as if by invisible hands into a lying position and brought closer to Panacea whom appears at the same time still as far away as before.

"My apologies." He says of nothing in particular and his free hand breaks from the rested of his stilted, almost flat appearance and bursts into green fire, before diving into you.

It does not hurt and it feels nothing like you would have expected it to. Where the hand passes, the numbness lessens somewhat. Where the flames dance, it increases. It does not grope, nor does it rest on any area over-long. Rather, it probes the interior of your see-through-ness with no clear direction. All the while you explain, as much as you can remember, what happened.

About your cousin, about the troll. About your siege engine, about the cow. About your encounter with the Tortaur and parts of your trial, though some details lose themselves on the way. As you talk, he asks follow-up questions or begs you elaborate and you do your best to do so, but he offers precious little information in return, focused more on the problem at hand. After a while, the Cow wanders over, either out of idle curiosity or corralled here by him or you, you are not certain. Panacea gives it a nod but ignores it for the most part.

"Well." He offers at last.

"You are alive. Which is rather remarkable, given the circumstances. Your missing hand is no great concern, though I cannot explain why. Because it is a thing I cannot explain to you, because I cannot, because it cannot be explained, here. You will have to trust me on this. Even saying this much is a strain."

"Your soul is not broken, as was my initial impression, but it is jumbled with another. Your cousin, I presume? As his mind does not Dream as We do, it lies dormant underneath your own psyche. If it is as you say, that he disappeared and your physicality was changed in turn, i can only conclude that your bodies merged as well, explaining neatly why 'he' is missing."

"The cow... it is anchored to you. You... robbed it off it's body? And then - a note of heightened emotion upon his voice - destroyed it, but not before severing its soul. Disturbing. It means no harm, but its presence will drain you until one of you goes. What happens after, I do not know."

"As for the rest of you... you are suffering. For reasons stated above, and others. Deeply. Keeping aloft... it has a cost. You seem to have some means of paying, however. But how long shall it last you?"

The fiery hand dims and gives you a friendly shrug.

"Does that shine some light on your predicament, Dreamer?"

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

What's the best way to heal? Get rid of the cow and seperate our cousin without killing him?
Any thoughts on our siege engine

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Any way we can shift the cow onto another (willing or otherwise)?

Cursing someone with the eternal cow of moo sounds like a good idea.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

"It does, yes."
"In full honesty, until we determine how to help the cow pass on, it might as well stay."
"As lasting reminders to not toy with forces we don't fully understand, the cow of guilt is an undeserved kindness compared to the alternatives."
"As for our cousin... We have some idea how to prepare them a body of their own once more, but how might we wake them from dormancy?"
"After all, what good would a vessel do them if they remain dormant, comatose and unable to wake or participate in the Dream as We do?"

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

Toughy posted:

What's the best way to heal? Get rid of the cow and seperate our cousin without killing him?
Any thoughts on our siege engine

"That would be the start of it, yes."

"This Arbalest you mentioned? I would need to see it in person, and hear the tale of its construction in full. There are several ways in which items can be pulled from the Dream to the real and vice versa, and many methods with which to enchant or enhance if one but has the imagination to try and the will to Do."

Outrail posted:

Any way we can shift the cow onto another (willing or otherwise)?

"You would condemn another in your stead?"

Arcanuse posted:

"It does, yes."
"In full honesty, until we determine how to help the cow pass on, it might as well stay."
"As lasting reminders to not toy with forces we don't fully understand, the cow of guilt is an undeserved kindness compared to the alternatives."
"As for our cousin... We have some idea how to prepare them a body of their own once more, but how might we wake them from dormancy?"
"After all, what good would a vessel do them if they remain dormant, comatose and unable to wake or participate in the Dream as We do?"

"You mean to craft them a new vessel? That could work, but why waste the one you already possess?"
"Once they have their body, they should wake of their own accord. I doubt they will Dream as you or I."

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003
They still have their own body? How can we separate ourselves into two beings again?

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

"The trouble is before our merger, our Cousins body was... Not in the best of shape."
"Angry troll, I think. Not wholly undeserved given why we were fighting, but what's done is done."
"Our own body was fine enough then, but our Cousins would need mending we are unsure how to perform."
"Hence, we sought the creation of a vessel instead."
"We had hoped in asking if our Cousin could awaken to the Dream, at least temporarily, we could step around that matter."
"Dividing in dream alone that our Cousin might be tethered to the new body."
"Of course, I suspect you wouldn't have suggested using our Cousins own body if you didn't have some idea how we could mend them, hm?"

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

"You would condemn another in your stead?"

... what? Are you suggesting we shouldn't weaponize a dead cow?

Who the hell is this guy/gal?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Outrail posted:

Who the hell is this guy/gal?

Says the Robosexual.

Could a vessel be created for the cow, so that it could be tethered to that vessel instead?

The cow is not the only thing we have fired our siege weapon upon, but we have not seen other creatures tied to us. Was their bond perhaps not fully severed? Did they perhaps lack the same essence as us in the first place?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Why not put the cow inside another cow? It's just a cow, it probably wouldn't mind being two cows.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Volmarias posted:

Says the Robosexual.

Could a vessel be created for the cow, so that it could be tethered to that vessel instead?

The cow is not the only thing we have fired our siege weapon upon, but we have not seen other creatures tied to us. Was their bond perhaps not fully severed? Did they perhaps lack the same essence as us in the first place?

Maybe it's having trouble mooooving on.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

Hot Dog Day 80 posted:

They still have their own body? How can we separate ourselves into two beings again?

"Ah, you misunderstand. You have, are, both. Separation both spiritual and physical would be the preferable means, lest you end up having to learn how to use your own bodies all over again, though I suppose that too is viable."

Arcanuse posted:

"The trouble is before our merger, our Cousins body was... Not in the best of shape."
"Angry troll, I think. Not wholly undeserved given why we were fighting, but what's done is done."
"Our own body was fine enough then, but our Cousins would need mending we are unsure how to perform."
"Hence, we sought the creation of a vessel instead."
"We had hoped in asking if our Cousin could awaken to the Dream, at least temporarily, we could step around that matter."
"Dividing in dream alone that our Cousin might be tethered to the new body."
"Of course, I suspect you wouldn't have suggested using our Cousins own body if you didn't have some idea how we could mend them, hm?"

"That might complicate matters, yes, but it is a delicate procedure regardless..."

Outrail posted:

"I am merely curious, why would you want to?"

Volmarias posted:

super sweet best pal posted:

Why not put the cow inside another cow? It's just a cow, it probably wouldn't mind being two cows.

"The cow by all rights should be dead, but it is not. Tethering it to another living being would make little difference to it's un-mortal state, and could only serve to harm the living."
"As for how that came to be, I would need to inspect your weapon to tell you more. Anything you could divulge of its construction or function, would equally serve in illuminating this mystery."

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003
Would you be able to visit us in the real living world?

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

Hot Dog Day 80 posted:

Would you be able to visit us in the real living world?

"What is there to the real that the Dream cannot supply? Besides, I have no idea where you are. This place? This... garden? It houses no landmarks, no distinction from any of the others in our world."

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003
Can we lose or damage our arbalist by bringing it into the dream? Any consequences or costs?

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
It is already here. See the update on the previous page! You'd just have to float back to the cart.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

"I am merely curious, why would you want to?"

The obvious response being why wouldn't you? The cow seems unperturbed by its predicament, otherwise I'd seek to end a torment. However as the negative effects of our connection to the bovine seem to move in one direction, why not not gift it to a deserving adversary for a while before the creature moves on to its next existential state?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

"Well, if you'd like to take a look at the arbalest, it's right over here. Please, educate me. This is all fascinating."

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

hm. no thoughts on what to say for the moment.
I did however wonder if we can use astral threads as a sort of compass; watching where the threads go and getting a general idea of which direction the person on the other side is without actually following the thread.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

"As for how that came to be, I would need to inspect your weapon to tell you more. Anything you could divulge of its construction or function, would equally serve in illuminating this mystery."
Show Nåzom Stegėth to Panacea, tell everything we know about how we made it and how it works.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

HBar posted:

Show Nåzom Stegėth to Panacea, tell everything we know about how we made it and how it works.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Not only Show Nazom but to also she it the memory of our constructing it.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
What a great read Swedish! Really excellent story, a few things to start with.

Don't we have a magic staff from the Vespid hive we could give Abigail?

Votes:

show him the cart.

Fire Gwen! Hire some front liners!

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Trouble on the Rim, Book 2, Chapter 8
A Field Day

A Dream
The Thirteenth of December, 347 A.R.
Part 14: Weaponized Diagnosis

You give Panacea permission to inspect ##Nåzom Stėgeth## and sort of float awkwardly for a while with nothing happening. Breaking the silence, Panacea asks where it is and you realize that even in the Dream, a siege arbalest is a relatively stationary object on its own. You bid your mysterious friend follow and head back to the entrance to the estate, but he remains in place, still only visible from the side. 'I'm not here, remember?' 'right. You are still figuring this out you say as a matter of explanation. The masked figure watches in silence, expression fixed in cold apathy, though you suspect it is smiling on the inside.

Back at the gate now, you notice Abigails soul in the doorway to the house, attention faced outward as far as you can tell, but otherwise unmoving.
You reach the carts and the weapon with them as before and turn yourself to the garden and snap your fingers.

Nothing happens.

You call out.

Nothing happens.

You search for the thread and find it slack against your wrist. You give it a small tug and crumbs shake out of your sleeve, but when you look back up the image of Panacea has moved to your new location.

'Ah' He says

Once more his hand raises, acquiring depth and dimension as it does, diving onto and around the arbalest though meeting resistance as if both hand and weapon were solid. Fingers trace the etchings and carefully wipes the gauges and dashboard almost as if looking for dust.
You watch as Panacea, or at least his hand, pours over every inch of your masterpiece artifact siege arbalest with the concern a painter would have of their work being judged by the artworld at large, with the anxiety of a pup that has just been asked that age old question; who is a good boy?

Is it you?

'##Nåzom Stėgeth##' Panacea interrupts your train of thought. 'The Organizer of Dreams' in ancient Dwarrow."

"And you say you crafted this?"

You begin telling him the story of how the artifact came to be, to which he listens intently, but there are parts of the story, which you know are important, that you can't seem to remember.
Such as why you came to be in the city in the first place, when but a week before you were half the region away, and where exactly in the city the forge (was there a forge?) was located.
Equally your retelling is missing characters, as you find yourself representing only one half of a conversation, though the moment you catch yourself the reason for noticing slips away, leaving you confused and ill at ease.
Try as you might, you end up feeling unsatisfied at your description, arguing that such a grand invention should have a clearer tale. Panacea nods, telling you not to worry about it, for Reasons.
You sigh.

I will say that you were lucky, and that you had help, but more than that I cannot. I believe I can help you understand this device, but, ah, where to begin?

'The motes you encountered were raw inspiration. What I can tell you of them is this: They inhabit the Dream and act according to their natures.
Though they are especially attracted to Dreamers, they will seek out anyone with the means to carry out their purpose. What that purpose is, varies depending on the type of inspiration, and there are many.
If for some reason their purpose can not be fulfilled in time, they will anger, with dire consequences.

You were possessed, used as a puppet to host the end of their lifecycle, and ##Nåzom Stėgeth## was the product of their stay. Their nature fueled your skill, whilst your own imagination, will and desire gave it shape.
The result is a weapon of both Dream and Waking, able to be used in both, though I am uncertain as to how, exactly, I believe there is a means to switch from one to the other, but that it will only work for one at a time.

The mystery of the cow that haunts you can thus be solved: by whatever means you employed, you first fired the weapon in Dream, striking the Spirit of the Cow and severing its astral cord.
Thereupon switching immediately to the physical and destroying the body before Spirit and Flesh had chance to reunite, trapping the Spirit in Dream without the hope of Death.

Panacea explains all of this to you, mask unmoving, with a slight trepidation in his voice.

"It is without a doubt the most terrifying weapon I have ever encountered."

"I could tell you more, but I can see that already our time together draws to a close. Was there anything in particular you wished to know? Of this device or your condition, or aught else?"

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
"It is without a doubt the most terrifying weapon I have ever encountered."

Thanks! So, is there anything it can't kill?

How can we find/make more cupcakes? If we can't get back to the dream we won't be able to show you our future crimes against the natural order.

Didn't we use a cupcake to kill the cow? We need more cupcakes.

On the plus side 'Give me what I want or ill destroy your body, sever your soul and bind you to me for eternity' is a great threat if you're a fan of the MAD pyrric victory.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 14, 2021

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
When might we ever want to use it's physical attack in the dream, or its dream attack in the physical?

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

So what if we just fired this wildly into the Forest as rapidly as possibly if we had a consistent supply of cupcakes?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Blasphemaster posted:

So what if we just fired this wildly into the Forest as rapidly as possibly if we had a consistent supply of cupcakes?

"You have the most terrifying weapon in existence"
"Can we make it terrifyinger?"

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

describe the (flower?) we made the cupcakes with

Is there/do you know of any way to get more of these ingredients?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Maybe the cupcakes are just crow feathers and what we really need is to believe in ourselves

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

Outrail posted:

Thanks! So, is there anything it can't kill?

"I'm a Dreamer, not an Arbalist. I imagine there must be something out there that would not succumb in an instant, to either setting. Dragons, maybe?"

Volmarias posted:

When might we ever want to use it's physical attack in the dream, or its dream attack in the physical?

"Again, not my area of expertise I'm afraid. There could be any number of scenario's..."

Blasphemaster posted:

"I imagine that sooner or later, something would find you."

alpaca diseases posted:

describe the (flower?) we made the cupcakes with

"So that is what they were? I've heard of them, yes. Rare, to the point of extinction, for it is said they grow only in places where the Dream intersects with the world of the waking. I have not encountered any myself in all of my travels, save as ingredient in the cupcakes you mentioned. If you would have more of them, I'd turn my gaze towards The Forest or the great caverns below the world, or areas such as those, far from civilisation."

Outrail posted:

How can we find/make more cupcakes? If we can't get back to the dream we won't be able to show you our future crimes against the natural order.[/b]

Panacea answered this previously; that you Dream at all is proof you do not truly need the cupcakes.

--

Even as you talk at length with Panacea you feel the heavy waves of waking drag you in, your body craving its driving force with a gravity in excess of any fall you care to imagine, yet dulled and cushioned by a strange inertia that rhymes with unreason. Crumbs curl into embers, taking with them light, leaving your vision a scattering of ink-black blotches in contrast to the bright crimson, ivory, gold of the Dreamer before you. He observes you silently, mask unmoving, with a quiet understanding. Where ever he is, you have the strangest sense he now knows you better than anyone.

--

You open your eyes. Table. Raising your head you groan and stretch as if waking from a long rest. Skvababt is leaning against the doorframe to the common room and you hear movement, muffled by walls and distance. She is not startled, though she relaxes her stance somewhat and notifies the others of your 'return' with an indescribably sensuous call.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBkWhkAZ9ds

You aren't quiet sure what to do with yourself so you murmur something about 'everything being sorted' and instruct your crew to finish their rounds and gather up for extraction. There should be no more trouble here.

The second combing through is much different than the first, for even if nothing has really changed, the whole building feels much older. Abandoned. Dusty. Decrepit. There is still soot in the fireplace, but a fine layer of dust covers it and somehow a cobweb has already appeared in a corner. Likewise, traces of animal life have returned to the gardens outside. You were only gone a few minutes (correction: about an hour? your cohorts inform you) - where those strange critters the only thing keeping this shack from falling apart?

With no threats encountered and any remaining strangeness thud dispelled, you collect the furniture you found earlier, load up the wagons and hit the road.

2: What Now?
Go back to Whale.
Continue to one of the other areas suspected of harbouring haybanes or monsters.
- These include the "Decrepit Barn" the "Desolate Barn" the "Idyllic Barn" " and the Irregular Irrigation". See a previous update for extended info on these candidates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Let's check out the Decrepit Barn