Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

FreudianSlippers posted:

The character creation tools are wonderfully flexible for making stretched out abominations of flesh

Correct: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs0zhMCul5Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Is the only way to avoid being stomped by England/Scottland/Byz is to ally them or is it wait a super long time until the internal pressure collapses them? I was doing ok as some southern italian minor and the Byz said gently caress you and stomped me to death.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Mooseontheloose posted:

Is the only way to avoid being stomped by England/Scottland/Byz is to ally them or is it wait a super long time until the internal pressure collapses them? I was doing ok as some southern italian minor and the Byz said gently caress you and stomped me to death.

You can always swear vassalage to them and take them down from the inside. That or :murder: from the outside.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
Or take the Vikings on Tour down to Byzantium nice and early and Varagian invade Constantinople.

I then nibbled away at them every time they were over stretched in other wars until they basically exploded. 300 years later there's still a state around called the Byzantian Empire, but they aren't very big or scary or even really occupying any of their de jure lands.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Interesting fact: if you found the Jomsvikings, it creates a castle for them, since you're tribal and, to my knowledge normally can't found holy orders because they don't have a castle or city to lease them (unless you capture one, I suppose). You can then kick them out of the castle and found a different holy order. This is nice if you're playing as Norse but want to change to a different, local faith, since you get your own Holy Order as a tribal nation.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
I have founded holy orders twice now, and the decission to "borrow money from holy order" appears... but I have never been able to use it, because they just never have any money. Doesn't matter they are always contracted and expanding, or that they have a holding for themselves, they will be dry on money.

I think I am being conned by my own holy soldiers.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
Was having so much fun in my Slavic Russia run, was p much the biggest guy around and steam rolling everyone with my newly formed empire. I think reforming the slav faith and going feudal all on the same dude and then promptly dying 10 years later has hosed everything up. My empire has turned to poo poo, I went from a strong 9 holding to 2 because of the law changes, my economy is basically dog poo poo because of the man at arms change and the loss of the aforementioned holdings, most of my realm is still adhering to the old faith and my army is a shadow of its former self. Everyone is taking tons rebelling and those loving rear end in a top hat north men keep attacking me with those low quality 9k stacks for the same landlocked area in the middle of my empire. I think getting too big for my boots has probably set back my save for a good while. Kinda glad I'm not as invincible as I thought, though.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Mooseontheloose posted:

I was playing as Austria and allied with the Hungarians and Bohemians to take chunks out of the Byzantines until they fell apart internally.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Started as Armenian Principalities in 867 and I ended up getting most of the Caucasus region, forming Hayastan (Armenia), getting my daughters married to the Byzantine and Lothringian emperors and most of that within the first ruler's lifetime :getin:

I mean, I cheated a little bit but that was mostly "I'm impatient" rather than "it's not possible to do otherwise".

Having a blast with CK3 so far.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Newbie game experience time: I was on my fourth ruler after starting as the Petty King of Munster. I had inherited the high kingdom of Ireland but only the duchy of Meath for my personal domain. My vassal in Connacht tried to have my wife killed, so I felt this was a good reason to seize his title. Apparently my entire kingdom did not like this, including my cousin who held both Ulster and Munster, and they crushed my armies and forced me to abdicate.

This left the kingdom (and player identity) in the hands of my son, who was a young adult and had reasonably good stats. A bit earlier of a succession than planned but not terrible, right? Former High King Dad was in my court in Dublin, had a good opinion of me, and served me as my marshal. Well, a year after the succession the duke of Ulster - who, remember, had helped force High King Dad off his throne - started a rebellion to re-institute Dad as king. Dad was serving as marshal of the armies fighting against his re-institution, which might be why I lost that rebellion as well.

So I wound up as Duke of Meath, controlling only the lands of Athlone, under my previous player character Newly Reinstalled High King Dad. Who still loved me and was my best friend! Which is why it was really weird that he stripped me of all my titles and gave me a game over.

In my current game I'm doing the Jimena unification of Spain. My current player owns the crowns of Leon (also including Castile and Galicia) and Aragon. I created the Kingdom of Aragon in order to offer vassalization to the dukes of Barcelona who seem happy with the current arrangement. However, my player has three young sons. As I understand it, if I have two (or more) titles of the same level, then my sons will split my kingdom, but if I have only one kingdom then my primary heir inherits the head title while the younger boys get duchies or whatnot. Should I be destroying the Aragon title to keep everything unified, or let son #2 inherit and then kill him before he can have heirs, or be pushing for primogeniture (though the latter seems like it would take a lot more prestige to accomplish than anything else)?

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Albino Squirrel posted:

Should I be destroying the Aragon title to keep everything unified, or let son #2 inherit and then kill him before he can have heirs, or be pushing for primogeniture (though the latter seems like it would take a lot more prestige to accomplish than anything else)?

If you are still under Confederate Partition, destroying the title will do nothing as it will be recreated upon succession anyway. If you are under Partition or High Partition, have at it.

e: It should also be noted that if you destroy the title, you will get the 'not rightful liege' penalty with vassals that are de jure under the Kingdom of Aragon.

Traxis fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Mar 30, 2021

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Well, failson #1 got the 'Naive Appeaser' trait, and has generally poor stats. I hope him and his Prowess of 6 enjoy the front lines of the crusades!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Albino Squirrel posted:

So I wound up as Duke of Meath, controlling only the lands of Athlone, under my previous player character Newly Reinstalled High King Dad. Who still loved me and was my best friend! Which is why it was really weird that he stripped me of all my titles and gave me a game over.

I really wish the game didn't do this. Letting you jump to your brother or something seems like such a simple thing.

Albino Squirrel posted:

In my current game I'm doing the Jimena unification of Spain. My current player owns the crowns of Leon (also including Castile and Galicia) and Aragon. I created the Kingdom of Aragon in order to offer vassalization to the dukes of Barcelona who seem happy with the current arrangement. However, my player has three young sons. As I understand it, if I have two (or more) titles of the same level, then my sons will split my kingdom, but if I have only one kingdom then my primary heir inherits the head title while the younger boys get duchies or whatnot. Should I be destroying the Aragon title to keep everything unified, or let son #2 inherit and then kill him before he can have heirs, or be pushing for primogeniture (though the latter seems like it would take a lot more prestige to accomplish than anything else)?

As stated, if you're under Confederate Partition it doesn't matter anyway, the game will recreate it when your character dies before doing the distribution (and if you check the Succession tab on your realm page it will tell you this; it is very easy to miss and rather important to know about). If you have non-confed Partition then destroying it will keep everything together under the remaining kingdom title. If you have Primogeniture then your primary heir will inherit everything, but that's tech gated into the middle game.

That is what will happen. What you should do is a different question. I am a strong proponent of letting those secondary kingdoms get taken over by your siblings; you generate way more Renown that way (your whole dynasty gets points per landed ruler, but only if they aren't vassals of co-dynasts. Also never use disinherit, it's a self-own) and that alone is worth it. You'll get pressed claims on any top level titles that get split off at succession, so if you get mad at your brother a decade down the road you can just go take that kingdom back easy-peasy. Endless fights with your siblings because they won't do what you want is the central feature of this game.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Mar 30, 2021

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I always switch to elective when I can.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

PittTheElder posted:

I really wish the game didn't do this. Letting you jump to your brother or something seems like such a simple thing.

I know I can switch after the fact, but I wish deaths gave me the option to play as a different dynasty member, not just the primary heir. Game overs should as well.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yup. Very high on my list of say, purely game mechanical (as opposed to historical accuracy stuff) wants from this game is the ability to separate who is my player heir vs who receives my primary title. Especially for Elective titles, I would love to for example, pass the Kingdom title to the oldest son, but play as a younger son with a backwater duchy somewhere.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

How come my daughter didn't get her education trait? I had her on steward focus and tutored her for her whole life.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Might be fun to do a challenge game where you're required to do that; on death you must switch to whichever member of your dynasty is weakest (while still being landed). Gives you a nice incentive to take care of your family.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

BillBear posted:

How come my daughter didn't get her education trait? I had her on steward focus and tutored her for her whole life.

Education traits are based on a lot of factors, and I don't think you can 100% guarantee that the child gets the one you're aiming for.

e: Oh wait, she didn't get any trait. No idea then.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 30, 2021

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Education traits are based on a lot of factors, and I don't think you can 100% guarantee that the child gets the one you're aiming for.

Yeah, but to get none at all? Even a crappy one is better than nothing.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

BillBear posted:

Yeah, but to get none at all? Even a crappy one is better than nothing.

I almost have to think this has to be a bug/mod problem (if you're using any), because I'm pretty sure that's not supposed to happen. Though I don't know what happens to children who are imprisoned and how that goes.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

BillBear posted:

I may be wrong but, isn't that flowery icon a "child" trait? That should have evolved into something else at 16? I think the game got confused and didn't properly assign her a mature personality. She's a genius womanchild.

Edit: she's also bethroted to someone who definitely ain't a child, but I think I see the prompt to marry up there so... no idea

Shellception fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Mar 30, 2021

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Shellception posted:

I may be wrong but, isn't that flowery icon a "child" trait? That should have evolved into something else at 16? I think the game got confused and didn't properly assign her a mature personality. She's a genius womanchild.

Edit: she's also bethroted to someone who definitely ain't a child, but I think I see the prompt to marry up there so... no idea

Yup, she has the childhood trait and she is now 22. So far, no kids either. Kinda worrying since I kinda disinherited all my other kids on grounds of being poo poo and not wanting everything to split up when I die.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Seems buggy. Maybe send in a report.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah that looks like a bug and a half. Do you have any mods?

BillBear posted:

Yup, she has the childhood trait and she is now 22. So far, no kids either. Kinda worrying since I kinda disinherited all my other kids on grounds of being poo poo and not wanting everything to split up when I die.

Seriously though don't do this. It's a waste of renown, and it's real easy to get your titles back post-succession.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

PittTheElder posted:

Seriously though don't do this. It's a waste of renown, and it's real easy to get your titles back post-succession.

…also, doesn't just about everyone have some kind of elective law option that they can slap onto critical titles to ensure they go to the right person(s) while also being adaptive enough to allow for change should something go wrong?

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Disinheriting is actually really useful in some circumstances though? It's not something you want to be doing every generation but it's absolutely a good tool to keep in your back pocket to get out of a bad heir or an inconveniently timed domain split.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I know I can switch after the fact, but I wish deaths gave me the option to play as a different dynasty member, not just the primary heir. Game overs should as well.

Similarly, I got switched over to my female heir in southern italy, previous king swore fealty to byz but hated my daughter apparently to imprisoner and kill her.

PDX games do have a problem with RNG just randomly saying game over via no fault of the player. It should of just defaulted to heir or head of house.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Tippis posted:

…also, doesn't just about everyone have some kind of elective law option that they can slap onto critical titles to ensure they go to the right person(s) while also being adaptive enough to allow for change should something go wrong?

They do yeah. You need a bunch of prestige do it, but that is usually something you have in spades anyway.

Various Meat Products posted:

Disinheriting is actually really useful in some circumstances though? It's not something you want to be doing every generation but it's absolutely a good tool to keep in your back pocket to get out of a bad heir or an inconveniently timed domain split.

It has it's uses, but I find it's a "once or twice per campaign" kind of action, if you really, really need to avoid playing as a particular character; a daughter you accidentally married off patrilineally would be the one great reason I can think of.

Even the realm split thing seems fishy to me; I can't think of a reason off the top of my head where you wouldn't just re-unite the titles via conquest, then do whatever you were going to do; I guess if you were going to lose multiple top-level titles to the same heir and you didn't want to wait out the truces?

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

I went on a disinherit rampage because as the Tsar of Russia, when I died all my core and rich lands in the Novgorod area were handed out to my various siblings while I was left with a piece of poo poo land in the deep south of my empire. As the siblings were my vassals, I couldn't directly war them for the lands and I didn't have the plot power to murder them. I wanted to prevent it from happening again, I probably shouldn't have done it but drat that was annoying.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Hello thread!

Disinherit has it's merits in that it's an instant action that incurs no tyranny. Also, partition sometimes does odd black magic stuff so I wouldn't blame anyone doing an Ironman run for not risking handing out all their titles to only see things get fudged up. 150 a head isn't all that expensive if you only have to do it twice and your next dynasty upgrade costs 2.5k. It's not as if anyone wants to marry those fundie kids anyways!

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

You won't get claims on lower level titles if your domain splits and your siblings become vassals. I could spend years scheming and murdering my way into rebuilding my domain or just spend a few of my funbux to prevent the headache. Honestly disinheriting should have more drawbacks.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

If they have lower level titles just revoke them back and eat the tyranny. Civil wars are extremely easy to win and gives you all the excuses you need to separate the demenses of your more successful vassals

E: VVV exactly. Wouldn't even be so bad if they'd just consolidate a little

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Mar 31, 2021

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

If they have lower level titles just revoke them back and eat the tyranny. Civil wars are extremely easy to win and gives you all the excuses you need to separate the demenses of your more successful vassals

Also a good chance to do some reorganizing if your vassals have done some crazy county-level bordergore across their duchies, if that's the sort of thing that bothers you (as it does me)

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

BillBear posted:

If you're playing in Europe it's super easy to pick up seniority or one of the electives; there isn't much point sticking around in partition unless you're a vassal that signed that right away.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Am I right in understanding that if I want elective that allows people outside the current rulers immediate family I need to drop Norse culture?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Hell yeah, the mod I've been looking for ever since release is finally here -- gently caress leading from the back like some kinda milk drinker, it's so much more satisfying to personally carve dudes up when you're leading an army.

Battlefield Duels

Combined with Sword Training you can crank out some Dynasty Warriors-esque superhumans. Gaze upon this absolute chad and his pile of skulls

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
The "Secure the High Kingdom of the North Sea" decision requires you hold the 3 Kingdoms of Denmark, Norway, and England for 30 years each. It also requires you to hold the entirety of the Region of North Sea Heartlands.

Does anybody know if you have to hold, and keep, all of the North Sea Heartlands concurrently with the Kingdom titles in order to achieve the pre-recs? I finally got a young ruler who controls all 3 Kingdoms and I'm 12 years (I think) in to the 30 but Vassal intermarriage fuckery gave Sweden a chunk of those North Sea Heartlands for a few years and I am going to be pretty grumpy if it fucks me from being able to get the cheevo in another 20 years...

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

How are u posted:

The "Secure the High Kingdom of the North Sea" decision requires you hold the 3 Kingdoms of Denmark, Norway, and England for 30 years each. It also requires you to hold the entirety of the Region of North Sea Heartlands.

Does anybody know if you have to hold, and keep, all of the North Sea Heartlands concurrently with the Kingdom titles in order to achieve the pre-recs? I finally got a young ruler who controls all 3 Kingdoms and I'm 12 years (I think) in to the 30 but Vassal intermarriage fuckery gave Sweden a chunk of those North Sea Heartlands for a few years and I am going to be pretty grumpy if it fucks me from being able to get the cheevo in another 20 years...

You need the North Sea Heartlands by the time you take the decision. Don't need to hold it for that long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

scaterry posted:

You need the North Sea Heartlands by the time you take the decision. Don't need to hold it for that long

Oh my goodness that is great to hear. Tonight, then, I become the High King!