Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I'm fairly certain the requirements to be a games journalist are "really bad at video games" and "must compare the slightest bump in difficulty to dark souls." If you ever cleared 4 lines at once in Tetris you are already overqualified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Eschewing tutorials to play with your friends as fast as possible is normal behavior as far as I'm concerned

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"

And Tyler Too! posted:

I'm fairly certain the requirements to be a games journalist are "really bad at video games" and "must compare the slightest bump in difficulty to dark souls." If you ever cleared 4 lines at once in Tetris you are already overqualified.

I think you forgot "does not actually enjoy video games"

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

victrix posted:

That was an artfully crafted click bait

This is like, modern journalism in a nutshell.

Baby T. Love
Aug 5, 2009

MMF Freeway posted:

In iceborne you could assign a craft all command to the radial menu, but I'm not sure if they carried that over to rise

They did carry it over.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

MMF Freeway posted:

Eschewing tutorials to play with your friends as fast as possible is normal behavior as far as I'm concerned

Yeah, granted, I did not read the part where he said he was playing with a friend so mae culpa on that. That said,

victrix posted:

That was an artfully crafted click bait

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

DeathSandwich posted:

I will say the charge shot mechanic is pretty great. It goes a long way to keeping you ammo efficient. Granted I'm not deep into HR yet but I haven't had to craft normal/spread/shrapnel/elemental ammo during the hunt and can just restock inbetween missions. The only thing I've needed to craft is the low-cap stuff like Stickies, clusters, and dragon.

I wouldn't start with either of the bowguns as a brand new character because ammunition costs early are going to eat your lunch, but once you're a couple ranks in and you got your basic pet economy stuff going and a passable armor kit you can start dipping into it. If you absolutely must play ranged from the word go, Bow is probably your best bet since you can do fine with minimal ammo investment and it gets you into the ranged mindset.

The other thing to keep in mind is that if it carries over from World - if you have a ranged weapon you take more damage from physical attacks but less from elemental.

Edit: ^^^^ Game journalists are bad at games, when you have to put things down to write about the next line of newest releases you don't really have enough time to really get your teeth into a game wherein the fans wind up spending hundreds of hours on.

I've done some looking around on places where nerds are already discussing the meta and apparently HBG is fine but it's absolutely outclassed by LBG in most scenarios. It's not like, unusable, but LBG does more damage and has more mobility. I'll still probably use HBG anyway because I really enjoy weapons with guard mechanics, but I can see why it's not as good.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Build post, LBG, kills almost anything low rank in around 2 minutes, 4-5 for high rank solos.

Shoot weak point with normal 3s, use para ammo to paralyze, shoot stickies on head to stun, and go ham with double fire slicing ammo. Could get much better with good talismans, I think. Right now you just need a 3x1 deco skill talisman to pull it off (mine is 2x spare shot, 1 slot = recoil down).

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

BabyRyoga posted:

Deviation - LR Mild

unusable, sorry

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Is normal good now without sharpshooter or do you still need to eat for a skill for it to be competitive with other ammo types

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Bleck posted:

unusable, sorry

Baseline has none, that was with a food buff that increased deviation

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hunting horn is really loving good

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Am I remembering World wrong or is this game simply stacking excellent HR sets with really relevant skills? I remember World having a decent smattering that you could complement with decos but some of these HR sets are simply "here you go pal: Stamina Thief 3, Slugger 3, Horn Maestro, and some other level 4 skill. Don't worry about talismans or decos bud"

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The sets do seem much more clearly focused to specific purposes than world sets were, even in low rank where the volvidon set is pretty much hey are you using swaxe? Likewise somnacanth having sleep and bombardier.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Armor sets in Rise feel more like they were designed for the old system in that full sets have themes and feel like they were designed with a purpose in mind for the skills on them. World felt more scatter shot in that you'd get a level 3 skill spread across 3 different armor sets whereas this game has multiple sets even at 3* village that have 2 levels in 2 (related!) skills.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
goss's set looks like it's a greatsword set kinda, assuming greatswords can still stack draw attack and do dumb poo poo with it. even moreso with that wirebug attack, i would think.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
It's admittedly been a long time since 4U and Gen but I remember having to clownsuit, usually, to make competent sets. Or maybe I was just bad.

It's cool to see the armor sets giving you such a complement of relevant skills but I also feel like they might be too generous? Or have I turned into one of those old grouches who is mad about hot / cold drinks and paintballs and the game letting you know you can cap now...

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Rise seems to be made by the same team that made Gen which favored complete sets more, along with flashier combat, and other little things like non-inflated weapon stats.

As opposed to the "main" team that made 4U and World which cares a lot more about immersion, favors mixed sets, and is generally more grounded.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Zodack posted:

It's admittedly been a long time since 4U and Gen but I remember having to clownsuit, usually, to make competent sets. Or maybe I was just bad.

It's cool to see the armor sets giving you such a complement of relevant skills but I also feel like they might be too generous? Or have I turned into one of those old grouches who is mad about hot / cold drinks and paintballs and the game letting you know you can cap now...

4U and Gen definitely let you get good skills on full sets, I got to the end of G in both without making mixed sets. I'm still at end of low rank in Rise so I can't say how they compare here but having a full set focus on a few complimentary skills doesn't sound unusual.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Saxophone posted:

Kotaku is bad. Just... Yeah.

"This is hard to get into. I won, and wasn't sure what I was doing."

So....the take is that the easiest monster was easy and so you didn't feel like you earned it so :psyduck:

I'm the writery defense those articles are the dumbest fluff they're forced to write so that they have a page to put ads on.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Neo_Crimson posted:

Rise seems to be made by the same team that made Gen which favored complete sets more, along with flashier combat, and other little things like non-inflated weapon stats.

As opposed to the "main" team that made 4U and World which cares a lot more about immersion, favors mixed sets, and is generally more grounded.

Yep! This is a potable team game.

I love this team, portable 3rd was my first really deep dive into MH.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

~24 hours to complete all village quests, I went into high rank last night, real monhams starts now etc

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Gumball Gumption posted:

I'm the writery defense those articles are the dumbest fluff they're forced to write so that they have a page to put ads on.

While true, complaining about being unable to find monsters when the game has a "THING YOU NEED TO MURDER THIS WAY" arrow to follow is a bit :psyduck: inducing.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I have the Sandy Plains battle music stuck in my head, it's so bombastic.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
in fairness, you go into journalism either to get paid to repeat whatever the last person told you OR to dig dirt on people in power and I have a feeling the ones who went into journalism for the dirt don't often apply to gaming websites.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I have no idea what additional skills exist for Lance, but the base two are amazing. Instant frontal block for infinite damage with no stamina that counters and boosts damage. Zipping all over the place because a monster can't dash away to evade you. Once I get the buttons down to more muscle memory things are going to get shredded.

Norns posted:

I love this team, portable 3rd was my first really deep dive into MH.

P3rd was a highly underrated gem. Gave us Jinouga Zinogre, Gunlance/Bow/HH back in the game, bathing with friends, less inflated hub monster stats, the buffalo ballerina, TWO pecos...

I may not be going as slightly insane on Rise as I did MHW but it definitely gives me that P3rd/XX vibe of being a bunch of crazy poo poo slapped together that is incredibly fun. Hopefully the end doesn't turn out to be charm hell and behemoth-style bosses and all the bad parts of previous games.

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010
After clearing village with hammer, I thought I’d mix it up a bit for HR hub and try out LBG. I find the Fanning Vault is difficult to make use of most of the time, usually ending up somewhere on the monster that isn’t ideal, but sometimes, sometimes :allears:

https://i.imgur.com/oKVUAJN.mp4

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

My wife usually plays bows in other games, so we did some hub quests with her using bow, and found that she couldn't really 'feel' the coating system.

She really likes LBG, though, so hopefully she'll find her niche with gun.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Until I heard Zinogre's Rise theme, I didn't realize how badly I wanted to hear Bazel's theme performed with classical Japanese instruments.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Absolutely cannot get over how much hunting horn rocks

I'm not yet good at fighting flying monsters like Rathalos with it but everything else I'm having a blast just beating the hell out of.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Harrow posted:

Absolutely cannot get over how much hunting horn rocks

I'm not yet good at fighting flying monsters like Rathalos with it but everything else I'm having a blast just beating the hell out of.

Honestly I find myself more often than not just going up to meet 'em.

Sheath, wirebug up, and slam.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

Honestly I find myself more often than not just going up to meet 'em.

Sheath, wirebug up, and slam.

I've played so much IG that I keep forgetting I can do that. I'm used to just vaulting up and saving my wirebugs for other things. Gonna have to remember that next time I'm up against something that won't fuckin land

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I just wish HH had multi button songs again, that felt more satisfying.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Magnamalo give me your drat plates you son of a bitch :argh:

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
OMG you can throw bombs from your dogo!

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Who thought this "Stamina cap constantly drops" system was a good idea? It's like the Hot Drink situation from Iceborne all over again :argh:

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Max stamina drops over time in every MH game

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Would you lot suggest MH: World for me and my group of rather short attention-spanned friends? I just want something we can all play and have a blast with, and if the combat system is good, I'll enjoy it, even if it's grindy. I think they'll like it because they were all majorly hooked to World of Warcraft's Dungeons / Raids, and they all liked the gear progression that offered. I just gotta figure out a way to break down the diarrhea onslaught of information, as that will quickly cause them to get a glazed over look and not want to play.

Should I take the plunge and try and convince them all to get it or nah, I've got no clue if the game has aged well since launch, and I don't know how easy it is for a group of totally new players to break into it.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Max stamina drops over time in every MH game

I definitely don't remember it doing that in base World, or if it did it sure as hell wasn't as noticeable. I remember dicking around in Expeditions for what felt like ages with no issue :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

T1g4h posted:

I definitely don't remember it doing that in base World, or if it did it sure as hell wasn't as noticeable. I remember dicking around in Expeditions for what felt like ages with no issue :shrug:

Use a Energy Drink.
It's been like this in every MH game.