Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Greg12 posted:

longtime street rider first time dirt rider

what do I need?

is it worth it to buy a beaky helmet and goggles to keep my brand-new street helmet in better condition?
(I'm tempted to get one so that I have an excuse to buy some siqq pit vipers tho)

Dirt/dual sport helmets have a lot more space around the mouth and nose, more vents, and room for goggles (even more airflow), which is the main fit and comfort difference from street helmets. When you’re riding much slower than street speeds and physically working harder, as one tends to in the dirt, it’s a huge difference. Breathe easier, less fogging, more field of vision (at least compared to older street helmets).
You can ride dirt in any helmet, but they do make it more enjoyable.

Mesh gear (with proper armor) is really nice for all the same reasons. An armored pressure suit with a jersey over it is way nicer than an armored jacket on a really hot day.

As mentioned already, after the second or third time you catch a big rock or stick to the shin, you’ll want dirt boots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
Well, I got big Fox boots and Liatt cyborg knees and a low-price helmet and goggle set by ONeal and Spy.

What brands should I be looking at for my other joints?

What about an outer layer to throw over all that poo poo when a cold front moves in in the mountains? I'm thinking XXXL sweat suit.

What about coverage for sliding down pavement?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Advrider for sale stuff. Someone is always selling klim Dakar (colder) or Mojave (hot) pants. And plenty of enduro jackets to choose from.

I don’t know your size but for example, pair of 36 for $80. https://advrider.com/f/threads/klim-dakar-klim-traverse-rev-it-tornado-pants-for-sale.1493790/

Cheap jacket. https://advrider.com/f/threads/revit-turbine-mesh-jacket-54.1492860/

Really though, I’d just get very cheap things until you figure out you like it and then dive in to the mosko moto stuff.

Leatt and A* are kind of the higher end but everybody makes elbow pads. From here https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/riding-gear/elbow-guards

Maybe try these? https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/riding-gear/fly-racing-barricade-flex-elbow-guards-p

For a chest/back protector maybe try the msr blockade? https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/riding-gear/roost-deflectors

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I agree with the buy used/cheap gear.

You can also buy stuff off amazon that's of dubious quality. For example:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CCH72F4/

I have the same style armor from Alpinestars and love it, but it was $150. The Amazon knock off is probably good enough for slow speed dicking around.

And if you're gonna be on pavement for more than like 5 minutes, definitely get the adv pants/jacket over MX stuff.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
How much does cordura stretch/break in? Just got a new pair of knox jeans and the fit is fine but a little tight at the knee when the armour pads are fitted

katka
Apr 18, 2008

:roboluv::h: :awesomelon: :h::roboluv:
So I've signed up for my MSF course. I'm super excited for it and to finally get a bike after years of wanting one. The place I'm taking it at requires me to provide my gear though. Not a big deal since I'm gonna to need to buy it sooner or later. To that end I went to a local shop and looked at some stuff and tried it on. I've learned trying to pick out stuff that's actually safe is more difficult then I thought. I plan to be doing my riding in the summer in nice sunny weather. It gets quite hot and humid here (South Carolina) in the summer so I'm trying to find stuff that will be safe and keep me cool.

Two of the things I was looking at was the Icon Airflite helmet and the Icon Contra 2 jacket (the textile one). Any opinion on how good these are?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Renaissance Robot posted:

How much does cordura stretch/break in? Just got a new pair of knox jeans and the fit is fine but a little tight at the knee when the armour pads are fitted

Send em back, they don't stretch/break in much and you need to be comfortable in your protective jeans from minute 1.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

katka posted:

So I've signed up for my MSF course. I'm super excited for it and to finally get a bike after years of wanting one. The place I'm taking it at requires me to provide my gear though. Not a big deal since I'm gonna to need to buy it sooner or later. To that end I went to a local shop and looked at some stuff and tried it on. I've learned trying to pick out stuff that's actually safe is more difficult then I thought. I plan to be doing my riding in the summer in nice sunny weather. It gets quite hot and humid here (South Carolina) in the summer so I'm trying to find stuff that will be safe and keep me cool.

Two of the things I was looking at was the Icon Airflite helmet and the Icon Contra 2 jacket (the textile one). Any opinion on how good these are?

Icon stuff works fine and is protective. I don't like the style of Icon stuff, a bit flash in my opinion, but protection wise they are fine.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Icon is more about style than protection. Helmets or otherwise. I can't recommend their helmets after putting 50,000mi on a Variant.
Find something with mips and go from there. There's no need to stick to the eighties in safety tech because of rose tinted visors.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

If you're going to go MIPS, may as well go ECE 22-06 (and there's literally just one helmet that has 22-06 right now, the new Arai Quantic).

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

cursedshitbox posted:

Find something with mips and go from there. There's no need to stick to the eighties in safety tech because of rose tinted visors.

gently caress yeah, this. There’s a bunch of affordable helmets of all kinds with mips now. Pre-mips helmets don’t offer any protection specifically designed for concussion mitigation, and there’s no reason to not get the technology if it exists. Concussions suuuuck.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Steakandchips posted:

Send em back, they don't stretch/break in much and you need to be comfortable in your protective jeans from minute 1.

Ran them to work this morning and I think I'll keep them, on the bike the tightness is more reassuring, like a well-strapped kneepad, than "oh no blood is pooling in my legs". The kneepads slip out via an external zip too, which makes them even comfier when I'm not riding.

Also first time riding in my new jacket today and it's hella comfy even on a standard, I was a little worried the cut would sit weird on anything but a sportbike but turns out it's fine. Really glad I was able to snag one in my size before they all disappeared.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
That's a nice looking jacket. What is it?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Rev'it Akira Vintage. Sadly discontinued, though a few sites still have the smallest and largest sizes in stock.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Renaissance Robot posted:

Ran them to work this morning and I think I'll keep them, on the bike the tightness is more reassuring, like a well-strapped kneepad, than "oh no blood is pooling in my legs". The kneepads slip out via an external zip too, which makes them even comfier when I'm not riding.

Also first time riding in my new jacket today and it's hella comfy even on a standard, I was a little worried the cut would sit weird on anything but a sportbike but turns out it's fine. Really glad I was able to snag one in my size before they all disappeared.

Nice.

Also, I approve of the Forma Adventure Boots.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

STG has RF-1200s on sale now that they've been replaced with the RF-1400. $379 for the plain colors.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

cursedshitbox posted:

Icon is more about style than protection. Helmets or otherwise. I can't recommend their helmets after putting 50,000mi on a Variant.

All of my icon helmets had something wrong with the fit and finish. One had a misaligned visor gasket so it would whistle at speed (and you can't return after riding with it, so yay), and another had a vent break and started rattling like crazy after a few months. I'm sure they would have worked in a crash, but I have to live with it the other 99% of the time and I'm not inclined to buy from them again. I know I'm the really unlucky edge case but I'm not giving them a third chance.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

As Nero Danced posted:

All of my icon helmets had something wrong with the fit and finish. One had a misaligned visor gasket so it would whistle at speed (and you can't return after riding with it, so yay), and another had a vent break and started rattling like crazy after a few months. I'm sure they would have worked in a crash, but I have to live with it the other 99% of the time and I'm not inclined to buy from them again. I know I'm the really unlucky edge case but I'm not giving them a third chance.

Oh lets see. I bought this variant @$400 in 2015 and phased it out in 2019. 50+ thousand miles over its life.

The visor's inner "fog-free "coating degrades after about 5-6 month of constant riding. No fear, dish soap and a non-scratch scrub pad takes it right off. Slather on snowboarding products meant for goggles (CatCrap) and its all good. I have uhhh 10 or 11 visors for this helmet now.

The gasket between the visor and the main body never sealed and it'd rain inside the helmet, nevermind whistle like crazy.
The base gasket around the lower body of the helmet came off several times. permanently fixed with Loctites' vinyl trim adhesive(1360694).

The aluminum visor pivot screw galled in the metal threaded base. Requiring me to drill it out, and retap the base. This is about the worst. and I was pissed about it. I do not like the notion of taking power tools to my safety equipment. I replaced both with some black oxide hex cap screws and didn't have any other issues.
The other aluminum screw rattles out, taking the visor and peak with it at 70mph flapping in the breeze.
The vents are the cheapest made shits on the planet and any force whatsoever would snap them. Any dust whatsoever would also bind them. Carried a spray bottle to work the dumb things free.
Annually it saw new pads and hinges. Hinges lasted maybe 8-10 months before the detents snapped and it'd just fly open when I'd turn my head. Pads..yea they're consumables.
It was needlessly heavy at nearly four pounds(1700g), even with my thick goony neck crosswinds would kill me after 5-6 hours.
I never crashed the thing so I've no data on how it does.

gently caress. Icon.

I replaced it with one of the Krios pro koroyd helmets. So far its a decent lid.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thinking about Revit Airwave 3 pants, anyone have any experience or thoughts on these?

I bought the Airwave 3 jacket last summer for the heat and it seems like it’ll probably be okay for one slide which is about all I can ask from textile stuff.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Martytoof posted:

Thinking about Revit Airwave 3 pants, anyone have any experience or thoughts on these?

I bought the Airwave 3 jacket last summer for the heat and it seems like it’ll probably be okay for one slide which is about all I can ask from textile stuff.

I've got the pants. they are good. I use them for summer riding down here in TN and no complaints. wish the cuff tighteners? were clips instead of velcro, but half my gear is that way and it's just a personal preference :shrug:

I would buy them again!

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

How is riding in TN in the summer, do you just arrive at every destination absolutely soaked in sweat? I'm used to riding in hotter temps than TN, but with no humidity at all. One of my friends just moved to Nashville and my sister + her husband are moving there this summer, so I guess at some point I'm going to find out.

Personally I feel more comfortable walking around Las Vegas when it's 110 then Florida in the 80s.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

right arm posted:

I've got the pants. they are good. I use them for summer riding down here in TN and no complaints. wish the cuff tighteners? were clips instead of velcro, but half my gear is that way and it's just a personal preference :shrug:

I would buy them again!

Nice, that's pretty much the only complaint I have about the jacket too. Velcro fasteners on the cuffs. I'll go test-fit them in a few weeks, thanks.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

MomJeans420 posted:

How is riding in TN in the summer, do you just arrive at every destination absolutely soaked in sweat? I'm used to riding in hotter temps than TN, but with no humidity at all. One of my friends just moved to Nashville and my sister + her husband are moving there this summer, so I guess at some point I'm going to find out.

Personally I feel more comfortable walking around Las Vegas when it's 110 then Florida in the 80s.

haha I am a weenie from OR, so the first year here wasn't fun, but as long as you're moving you're fine. I also lane split / filter in every state cause Be The Change You Want To See In The World, so I rarely am not moving. I do have dedicated summer gear tho that does include dirt bike gloves cause I even rev'it sand 3 gloves are only tolerable to like 90°

that being said, TN is way better than FL imho. humidity hasn't ever really been godawful here in nashville except for like a couple weeks in late july / early august. also, visit memphis. I prefer it to nashville. only living here atm to save money for a house back in OR or memphis

Martytoof posted:

Nice, that's pretty much the only complaint I have about the jacket too. Velcro fasteners on the cuffs. I'll go test-fit them in a few weeks, thanks.

yep! I love rev'it's gear since they offer short inseam pants for those weirdos like myself who are 6'0" with a 30" inseam lol

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I can deal with a few weeks of it, I just can't take months of oppressive heat. Even where I live in Los Angeles is starting to get to me, when it's hot July, August, and September, then October rolls around and it's still hot.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
I'm looking for a way to make cleaning and lubing the chain of a small sport bike less annoying than rolling it around. Is a rear swing arm stand the way to go?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Absolutely. Super simple with a rear stand.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Get some swingarm bobbins too if your bike has suitable mount points for it. Removes the hassle of positioning a shelf type correctly on the arm.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Put it on kickstand. Grab it by the pillion hand rail. Pull it towards kickstand so the wheel lifts off the ground. Use right leg to kick/roll the wheel while it's lifted.
Takes a bit of practice (also, don't pull your bike over) but it works very well. Especially if you can put the front and kickstand on some pavement, but the rear on gras/dirt, so you don't even have to lift it all the way to spin it.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I just give the exposed bit of chain on my bike (Honda) a squirt or two of lube after every ride. The lube is kept near the bike, and this is low effort, and it's basically death by a thousand cuts (i.e. after a handful of rides, the whole chain should have gotten some fresh lube).

Chain is fine and clean and not rusty, my system works. YMMV!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Steakandchips posted:

I just give the exposed bit of chain on my bike (Honda) a squirt or two of lube after every ride. The lube is kept near the bike, and this is low effort, and it's basically death by a thousand cuts (i.e. after a handful of rides, the whole chain should have gotten some fresh lube).

Chain is fine and clean and not rusty, my system works. YMMV!

This is like how I never change the oil on my car because the continuous topping up of the total loss system ensures the oil is always fresh.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

T Zero posted:

I'm looking for a way to make cleaning and lubing the chain of a small sport bike less annoying than rolling it around. Is a rear swing arm stand the way to go?

If you're concerned about storage space, and don't plan to do anything other than lubing the chain, a snap jack might work for you. If you want to do more, like taking the wheels off for extended periods, the stands are definitely more secure.

I've been using one for the past 2 years to lube the chain on my DRZ since i don't have room for a proper stand, and it's good enough for that.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

If it actually is looking dirty, I'll put it on its center stand and I'll clean the whole chain and put fresh lube on the whole chain.

It isn't right now, so I won't.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Deeters posted:

If you're concerned about storage space, and don't plan to do anything other than lubing the chain, a snap jack might work for you. If you want to do more, like taking the wheels off for extended periods, the stands are definitely more secure.

I've been using one for the past 2 years to lube the chain on my DRZ since i don't have room for a proper stand, and it's good enough for that.

The lower leg section from a set of crutches work well and packs small.

My orthopedist had a hearty chuckle over that.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Steakandchips posted:

If it actually is looking dirty, I'll put it on its center stand and I'll clean the whole chain and put fresh lube on the whole chain.

It isn't right now, so I won't.

I wasn't criticizing, what I said about my car is 100% true, it is a piece of poo poo.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

At some point later this year, I too will own a poo poo car. Like a proper crap one, it's only use will be as a grocery-fetcher + taking-cats-to-the-vets-er.

Steakandchips fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Mar 31, 2021

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

cursedshitbox posted:

The lower leg section from a set of crutches work well and packs small.

My orthopedist had a hearty chuckle over that.

This is a really good use of them

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you

Deeters posted:

A snapjack seems cool, but I also want to have the bike level so I can properly read the sight glasses and check fluids too.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Steakandchips posted:

At some point later this year, I too will own a poo poo car. Like a proper crap one, it's only use will be as a grocery-fetcher + taking-cats-to-the-vets-er.

That's all they're useful for afaik, also sometimes you have more people than seats in the van and it's not very nice standing up in the back of a transit next to a few bikes. I'm told.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

I’ve been interested in possibly getting a Sena helmet for an effortless way to listen to music while riding, but some of the reviews say that the audio quality isn’t very good.

I’m obviously not expecting a Bose audio experience but are there any benefits of the headsets over their helmets ? Is the audio quality that bad? Or even an entirely different direction to go?

edit: clarification

hello internet fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Apr 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Not having to run wires through your helmet yourself, which is a royal pain in the rear end, at least it is in my HGC IS-17.