Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

No cognitive dissonance, the man's a straight scumbag. He's cut from the latest 90s Interplay/EA corporate structure. This is going on 20 years ago now but he built his studio under long hours and low pay but promised generous performance based incentives. ONce the game went gold he 'restructured' 70% of his workforce out of a job. He was able to pull it off three separate times before no one would work for him anymore and he sold the studio to Microsoft who ended up closing it down 3 years later since the studios name was still so toxic in the industry.

drat, color me impressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngelesXO
May 15, 2009

Well I'm glad my long dislike of Oddworld games is now justified

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I legit loved the first 2 games, there was nothing like them at the time, beyond those two I felt like the art took a major hit.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I've only played Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath, and it wasn't that fun of a game.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They keep making these.

I've never played one or know anybody who has, but somebody must like em!

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I said come in! posted:

I've only played Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath, and it wasn't that fun of a game.

That was a weird deviation from the normal oddworld formula.

The original two games are what I guess you’d call platform puzzle games. You have to solve whatever screen you’re in by bypassing enemies and/or traps to trigger switches or checkpoints and optionally rescue people along the way to get a better ending. They’re pretty linear outside of very cursory “it doesn’t matter what order you do these sub-rooms in” sections of some levels.

The third game was the same kind of poo poo but in 3d, and then strangers wrath was an FPS for no apparent reason.

This is the first actually new oddworld game in 16 years, they like to remaster and rerelease all the old poo poo over and over.

I’ve liked the games ever since the psx pack-in demo but Lorne Lanning is definitely a dickhead.

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

Dirt 5 ran flawlessly for me but it's v arcadey in that you're not gonna be upgrading cars or messing with gear ratios or anything. I'd recommend looking at nfs hot pursuit remastered instead/additionally which is also good & arcadey but a totally different arcade racer what with the cops and such

Ratchet & Clank @ 60fps is real drat nice, what a fun game. Clank sections kinda blow but they're like 10% of the total playtime if that so it's not too bad

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
dang too bad I played Ratchet and Clank on my PS5 before this patch, which I didn't know would exist. Oh well I still enjoyed it (there are some parts that really sucked though).

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
I'm realizing the Disco Elysium HUD is pretty constant, be careful if you have an OLED TV to avoid burn in.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I own and have beaten so many of he games on sale during the pandemic... I guess ill grab Atelier Ryza since it’s the first ive seen it for 30$

I worked behind the bar at a Union hotel. One guy about my age pretty much didnt know how to make drinks and the other one was an old timer who couldnt really make drinks either and took tons of breaks and I felt like I shouldered most of the work. I was pretty much the only one who wanted to change things up a bit to make the bar better/modern but the others didn’t want to adapt at all even if we could make way more tips.

The hourly pay and benefits were nice but everyone just had like no ambition, there are a lot of weird archaic rules too.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Kilometers Davis posted:

Hmm this is frustrating. Disco Elysium has me very very interested from the first little section but the buggy interaction control is really awful. I might hold off until they fix it. I can’t really believe they released it like this with the main way of interacting with everything in the game needing you to mess around reselecting it every time. It feels bad and takes me out of the game when I know the controls aren’t going to do what I want the first time. Maybe I’m being a fussy baby. Game does seem very good though.

e: I feel like I’m probably dumb and just doing something wrong we’ll see!

Think of the right analog stick like a d pad, and to choose something to interact with you need to push the stick from neutral towards whatever it is you’re trying to select. It probably took me like 5 hours before I realized that’s how it worked, or I believe that’s how it works at least. Idk if they’ve released this yet, but I’ve gotten at least one update so far, I need to check https://twitter.com/studiozaum/status/1377311097271812103?s=21

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Is Disco Elysium a PS5 game and a PS4 game or is it a PS4 game that works on PS5? I keep seeing it advertised as "PS4 & PS5" but I only saw one version in the store which says it's a PS4 game running on PS5, and I'm not sure if I've missed something.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The only version I see in the store is the PS5 version, but I only browse the store using the app because the console store sucks almost as bad as the web store.

Edit: oh weird it doesn’t have the “PS4” tag line in the description like every other PS4 game on the store so you’d assume it’s the PS5 version, but the fine print has the boilerplate “it works on PS5 but some poo poo might only work on a PS4” disclaimer that all PS4 games have.

So in conclusion who the gently caress knows.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 1, 2021

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

History Comes Inside! posted:

The only version I see in the store is the PS5 version, but I only browse the store using the app because the console store sucks almost as bad as the web store.

Edit: oh weird it doesn’t have the “PS4” tag line in the description like every other PS4 game on the store so you’d assume it’s the PS5 version, but the fine print has the boilerplate “it works on PS5 but some poo poo might only work on a PS4” disclaimer that all PS4 games have.

So in conclusion who the gently caress knows.

This has been, exactly to the loving word, my thought process leading to my post. Good to know it's not just me.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Purchasing Disco Elysium gives you both a PS4-native and a PS5-native version.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I just picked up Spiderman Miles Morales. I can't seem to get a non garbage time in the first traversal challenge because I keep slamming into walls or losing momentum before the waypoint becomes targetable, which doesn't bode well.

And I know that it wouldn't be very Spiderman-like to not have banter, but is there a way to make Peter shut the hell up during these challenges? You aren't helping, bro.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Thundarr posted:

I just picked up Spiderman Miles Morales. I can't seem to get a non garbage time in the first traversal challenge because I keep slamming into walls or losing momentum before the waypoint becomes targetable, which doesn't bode well.

And I know that it wouldn't be very Spiderman-like to not have banter, but is there a way to make Peter shut the hell up during these challenges? You aren't helping, bro.

The waypoints themselves aren’t targetable so I’m not sure what you mean unless you’re talking about the little white dot that highlights spots you can web launch yourself from to boost around?

It’s gonna sound really unhelpful and obvious but get some time in swinging around the city before you try them because they’re actually way easier than the same challenges were in the original game imho. The time limits are super forgiving, hold R2 if you’re about to hit a wall and you’ll automatically carry on sprinting along it instead which should help with the losing momentum.

And no, he never shuts up.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Apr 1, 2021

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

There's a separate audio slider for dialogue if you want to shut everybody up for a while.

For the first traversal you can use L2 to aim in slow-mo for your point launches. You shouldn't need anything other than point launches to get from one target to the next, though some may require more than one.

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

I just wrapped up Miles Morales, NG+ with the cat suit is goddamn hilarious. In all the cutscenes there's dramatic poo poo happening and the little cat head pops out and looks around or starts batting the back of my head with its paws.

For me the second traversal challenge was the worst - where you start with a dive but the two circles you have to hit are offset from one another... I would always miss the second and then have to run all the way back up the building to try again.

Also since people were talking about it a page or two ago: I tried it for a while on each of Performance, Performance RT and Fidelity modes, and I couldn't really tell any difference at all. I don't get what everyone's talking about.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

History Comes Inside! posted:

The waypoints themselves aren’t targetable so I’m not sure what you mean unless you’re talking about the little white dot that highlights spots you can web launch yourself from to boost around?

It’s gonna sound really unhelpful and obvious but get some time in swinging around the city before you try them because they’re actually way easier than the same challenges were in the original game imho. The time limits are super forgiving, hold R2 if you’re about to hit a wall and you’ll automatically carry on sprinting along it instead which should help with the losing momentum.

Maybe that's part of it, the waypoints get a cursor around them when you get close and maybe I misunderstood something and thought you're meant to directly target them. I ground out on the roof every time I try to web launch towards the fifth waypoint though (at the end of the roof after the course turns right). Apparently I just need more experience webbing around since I'm not seeing how to maintain my speed and angle at the same time yet.

quote:

And no, he never shuts up.

Well dang. I didn't want to mute all voice, but if that's what I gotta do temporarily.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
is there a way to access digital shows/films you've purchased (as in, non-streaming) on the PS5 dashboard? tried to do it for the first time in a while and all i can see are the streaming services

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Woah I bought the 10 dollar Tony Hawk upgrade when it came out and only just realized what it gave me was a totally disc-free PS5 version. Okay, neat! Im pretty sure it even warned me that Id require a disc to run the upgrade but okay!

After some time with the PS5 theres some poo poo about the interface I hate that wasnt immediately obvious. When on the home screen, you cant return to the game by pressing or holding the Home button. You have to either select the game from the home menu or hit the home button and select the switcher. You cant just hit it to immediately return to game. Its stupid.

What's even stupider is when you launch a game while another game is running, the new game launches without any warning at all. I sure hope you didnt forget you had something else running and forget to save! Or hell, just accidentally launch it when you meant to visit its hub page for some reason.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Gutcruncher posted:

Woah I bought the 10 dollar Tony Hawk upgrade when it came out and only just realized what it gave me was a totally disc-free PS5 version. Okay, neat! Im pretty sure it even warned me that Id require a disc to run the upgrade but okay!

After some time with the PS5 theres some poo poo about the interface I hate that wasnt immediately obvious. When on the home screen, you cant return to the game by pressing or holding the Home button. You have to either select the game from the home menu or hit the home button and select the switcher. You cant just hit it to immediately return to game. Its stupid.

What's even stupider is when you launch a game while another game is running, the new game launches without any warning at all. I sure hope you didnt forget you had something else running and forget to save! Or hell, just accidentally launch it when you meant to visit its hub page for some reason.

Oh poo poo you don't even need the disc in the drive? I should go get that then.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Policenaut posted:

Oh poo poo you don't even need the disc in the drive? I should go get that then.

Yeah, I accidentally ran the game without my disc inserted and then noticed that the little disc icon wasnt next to the title like my other PS4 to PS5 upgrades.

Come to think of it, dont quote me on this, I THINK what I did was I bought the 10 dollar upgrade (the buy button even warns you about needing a disc) which I guess tricked the store into thinking I had the Digital Deluxe. I later noticed the free "Digital Deluxe Upgrade" in the store and grabbed it not sure what it was.

I suspect it's juts a weird store fuckup that may or may not still work if you try

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Gutcruncher posted:

Hey now you can go sell it for like $20

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

doctorthefonz posted:

Dirt 5 ran flawlessly

Dirt 5 rules, and the content drop a day back was great.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

cvnvcnv posted:

Dirt 5 rules, and the content drop a day back was great.

Any particular thoughts on the haptics?

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

is there a way to access digital shows/films you've purchased (as in, non-streaming) on the PS5 dashboard? tried to do it for the first time in a while and all i can see are the streaming services

I think if you go into the part where you can download media things (youtube, twitch, etc) theres one that plays any content purchased.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Fix posted:

Any particular thoughts on the haptics?

That post made me laugh really hard. I have no idea how the haptics are, I turned all that off at the system level. I never ever want to find out how controller resistance or vibration are in something I intend to enjoy.*

Everything else is top notch, though I wouldn't pay full price. I got the Year One edition on sale not long ago, really good discount on PS Store. Wait for that and then jump in. The update the other day was the second so far and introduced a new career mode heat with a bunch of races, new trophies for itself and the previous dlc, 4 new cars, new customization items, custom lobbies for online, and more. Super arcade feel but if you're into that and want to look at some gorgeous graphics, ooooh weee. Codemasters are crushing so far and I'm excited for the next bunch of goodies. Hopefully the game is doing well enough for them and it will see a Year Two.

*I appreciated the vibration in Death Stranding with regards to balance. Very smart implementation.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

cvnvcnv posted:

That post made me laugh really hard. I have no idea how the haptics are, I turned all that off at the system level. I never ever want to find out how controller resistance or vibration are in something I intend to enjoy.*

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

That's funny, it was the exact face I made from reading that post. Mostly because of the slapfighting that would ensue, not that people can't play their games how they want.

OR: 'Thats Bait'.gif

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
Dear Diary,

Today I joined the cat yakuza.

Hat in Time is the best game

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

cvnvcnv posted:

Aw, shame. Guess I'll ask other people.

Thanks for the rest of that though, on sale is the way to go it seems.

Fix fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Apr 1, 2021

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
The Dualsense works almost flawlessly on the PS3 (luckily I have the old PS3 media remote so I have a ps button I can press) and turns out I have Demon Souls from PSPlus so I could paint my PS3 white and pretend I got a PS5 :thatsrad:

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Fedule posted:

Is Disco Elysium a PS5 game and a PS4 game or is it a PS4 game that works on PS5? I keep seeing it advertised as "PS4 & PS5" but I only saw one version in the store which says it's a PS4 game running on PS5, and I'm not sure if I've missed something.

Every PS4 game (aside from the select few that nobody has ever played) works on PS5. If a game says "PS4 and PS5", there's specifically a PS4 version and a PS5 one. For instance, I was hoping Nier: Replicant would have a PS5 version, but it doesn't, it just says 'PS4' on the store.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I haven't thought or posted much about games in a long time because I moved and got married and stuff but things are finally settling down and I started looking for PS5s again and...as far as I can tell they are still completely mythological in Japan. No vendor will ever claim that they have any or when they will ever be on the shelves. Some of them have lotteries from time to time but they all get filled immediately. There's a Twitter account I follow that tries to notify people if Rakuten Books has them in stock and once I went there less than a minute after the tweet dropped and they were already gone.

It's been almost six months now...

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I haven't thought or posted much about games in a long time because I moved and got married and stuff
drat, congratulations.

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

morallyobjected posted:

Hat in Time is the best game

:hai:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Samurai Sanders posted:

I haven't thought or posted much about games in a long time because I moved and got married and stuff

Nice moves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
After I saw it mentioned yesterday, realized I've been bamboozled once more by my PS5 defaulting to the PS4 version of Disco Elysium. Very cool!