Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I like green apple and blue raspberry, mostly because I crave sour candy.

Basically if you give me candy/beverages with tons of citric acid I'm gonna like it, no matter what it tastes like otherwise.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

For a minute I thought this was a picture of a drainage culvert.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

drrockso20 posted:

Assuming it's not dog or cat food my assumption is a compressed block of refrigerated Hamburger Helper Beef Stroganoff
That's macaroni in there and Hamburger Helper Beef Stroganoff at least uses noodles that are shaped correctly.

Leftover beefy "white cheddar" mac & cheese smacked out of the container with a ketchup drizzle imo, definitely deliberate and before getting reheated.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

I would eat the solid objects.

I would adamantly refuse to have a sip.

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

My most-missed DOA candy are the tangerine Jolly Ranchers. gently caress, those were good.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Elviscat posted:

Basically if you give me candy/beverages with tons of citric acid I'm gonna like it, no matter what it tastes like otherwise.

My oldest son and I share the citric acid addiction, my other kids are pretty ambivalent. good, more sour worms for me

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Elviscat posted:

Absolutely same, but I feel there are flavors where I will eat it because it’s sour and then there are flavors where I will eat it and all of yours because it’s sour AND a good complimentary sour flavor.

Case in point being the jelly belly Sours mix. Those five sour flavors work extremely well together, and you can grab two at random and they will be great as a hybrid mouthful. They’re “classic” sour flavors like cherry and grape and orange and yes, sour apple. It’s like they were developed to be good on their own and also to be good blended arbitrarily with each other.

However, a while ago they also came out with their Ten Flavors Sours mix, which has new ones like blueberry and blackberry and peach which, while good individually, are really gross in combination, not to mention very distinctive and sour in a not-so-classically-appealing way. I had a bag of it at a movie and grabbing two of them at a time in the dark was a very disappointing and distracting experience

Fortunately they went back to the Five Flavor Sours shortly afterwards and crisis was averted. But I’ve got my eye on them :mad:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

TheKennedys posted:

My oldest son and I share the citric acid addiction, my other kids are pretty ambivalent. good, more sour worms for me

i can tell you from personal experience you can make your own Fun Dip from citric acid, crystallized fruit, and some sweetener. then you can eat it out of a small tupperware container with a spoon like a strange decadent freak animal. don't do it too often or it will gently caress up your teeth.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

So canned green beans, Vienna Sausages, and water chestnuts, three of my least favorite foods all in one dish:pastryno:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

uber_stoat posted:

i can tell you from personal experience you can make your own Fun Dip from citric acid, crystallized fruit, and some sweetener. then you can eat it out of a small tupperware container with a spoon like a strange decadent freak animal. don't do it too often or it will gently caress up your teeth.

Lol who else remembers that this was literally a thing that existed

There's a disclaimer on it saying "your teeth and gums might feel a tingling sensation, this is normal" and "rinse well and then brush your teeth with actual toothpaste". YES BECAuSE IT IS LITERALLY EATING YOUR ENAMEL JESUS CHRIST

My teeth were ruined from an early age due to my obsessively seeking sour, and when I discovered this poo poo years later it was like reading one of those stories about some Russian hunters who found a strange glowing metal cylinder in the snowy woods and camped on top of it because it was nice and warm

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

On the topic of sour candy, there was this one kind of sour powdered candy called Raven's Revenge that was a favorite of my older brother back in the 90's, shame that it seems to be long out of production, would probably appreciate it better as an adult

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

drrockso20 posted:

So canned green beans, Vienna Sausages, and water chestnuts, three of my least favorite foods all in one dish:pastryno:

You gotta make sure you add all the can juices in without draining too, that's what makes it good.

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020

Elviscat posted:

This is actually why I'm annoyed by Green Apple replacing Lime for everything bugs me so much. Lime is already citrus. It's perfect for sour candy. At least Lemon is still a pretty common flavor.

Though really, War Heads should have taught us that any flavor is good sour.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Elviscat posted:

You gotta make sure you add all the can juices in without draining too, that's what makes it good.

The best part is the vienna sausage juice. I'll bet the effects artists that worked on Poltergeist used vats of that to coat the actors when they came out of the ceiling.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Grunch Worldflower posted:

This is actually why I'm annoyed by Green Apple replacing Lime for everything bugs me so much. Lime is already citrus. It's perfect for sour candy. At least Lemon is still a pretty common flavor.

Lemon is probably why Lime has mostly disappeared from candy, they probably figure the two flavors are too close

Also while most other Lime candy I've had has been fine, Lime Dots are gross, they have this harsh weird chemical taste that the other flavors don't have

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

drrockso20 posted:

On the topic of sour candy, there was this one kind of sour powdered candy called Raven's Revenge that was a favorite of my older brother back in the 90's, shame that it seems to be long out of production, would probably appreciate it better as an adult

Oh hell, what were those brands of liquid sour candy that came in like test tubes

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

The best fruity candies are always the citrus ones. Eat the other ones first and then eat the orange/lemon/lime ones.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Grunch Worldflower posted:

I know full well that I'm biased:

Actual green apples: fantastic
Green apple flavor: garbage

Actual oranges: garbage
Orange flavor: fantastic

Actual limes: fantastic
Lime flavor: passable

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

uber_stoat posted:

on the topic of accursed licensed candy i present to you:

Ashens did a review on one of these last year
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-drxdYedUU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Data Graham posted:

Lol who else remembers that this was literally a thing that existed

There's a disclaimer on it saying "your teeth and gums might feel a tingling sensation, this is normal" and "rinse well and then brush your teeth with actual toothpaste". YES BECAuSE IT IS LITERALLY EATING YOUR ENAMEL JESUS CHRIST

My teeth were ruined from an early age due to my obsessively seeking sour, and when I discovered this poo poo years later it was like reading one of those stories about some Russian hunters who found a strange glowing metal cylinder in the snowy woods and camped on top of it because it was nice and warm

Gotta get the double baking soda arm and hammer tooth paste to neutralize all that acid. And then add a tea spoon of powder baking soda in your mouth wash lmao

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

It's only tangentially related to the toothpaste talk but i remember back in like 2006 or so there were actual citrus flavored toothpastes, like lemon and orange and whatnot.

Not gonna lie, I miss them a lot, because man I hate mint so much. Just, any and all varieties, haven't found one that sits right with me yet.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
Since I guess we're talking about things we can't get now, I really, really crave the Newfoundland Jam Jam cookies. They're a soft molasses cookie with either an apple-raspberry jam or a partridgeberry apple jam in the middle depending on the recipe, I can't seem to find the ingredients on the actual website. They are so loving good and soft.

Also I was introduced to clotted cream there and it still sounds disgusting but on my ex's grandmother's rum cake it was loving fabulous. They lit it on fire before we sliced and ate it and it's still the best cake I've ever had.

Wine gums. I sometimes hit up the international aisle just to buy overpriced wine gums.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I don't have a lot to add to candy chat other than, as a kid, I was sorely disappointed when I had Bottle Caps candy for the first time, and they did not fizz in my mouth like I assumed an Alka-Seltzer tablet would (based on all the daytime TV I watched), despite the packaging having bubbles all over it.

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

I don’t even know what this is

Finnish food macaroni casserole ("makaronilaatikko"), with ketchup.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Pastry of the Year posted:

I don't have a lot to add to candy chat other than, as a kid, I was sorely disappointed when I had Bottle Caps candy for the first time, and they did not fizz in my mouth like I assumed an Alka-Seltzer tablet would (based on all the daytime TV I watched), despite the packaging having bubbles all over it.

Same. God I felt stupid

I think there was an actual candy that was supposed to fizz, it came in a strip of like 10 square segments encapsulated in compartments of plastic. I think I only saw it at roller skating rinks and such, and always imagined them to be sour and incredible

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

It's only tangentially related to the toothpaste talk but i remember back in like 2006 or so there were actual citrus flavored toothpastes, like lemon and orange and whatnot.

Not gonna lie, I miss them a lot, because man I hate mint so much. Just, any and all varieties, haven't found one that sits right with me yet.

I've got pure food grade MSG and sodium citrate, you can definitely get citric acid if you need it.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ posted:

Finnish food macaroni casserole ("makaronilaatikko"), with ketchup.

Ugh my boyfriend loves makaronilåda and if I see him put ketchup on it I might consider ending it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

drrockso20 posted:

I had assumed they were canned potatoes.

I probably would either way. My mom definitely would have combined a can of green beans and a can of potatoes as a side dish. Vienna sausages were something my mom stopped buying when I was around 6 because they're "unhealthy"

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Data Graham posted:

Same. God I felt stupid

I think there was an actual candy that was supposed to fizz, it came in a strip of like 10 square segments encapsulated in compartments of plastic. I think I only saw it at roller skating rinks and such, and always imagined them to be sour and incredible

Zotz? Those are one of the best candies around. The blue raspberry flavor of those is one of my favorite things on Earth. When I worked at Tilt in high school I considered the prize candies to be part of my pay and I motored through three 100 count cases of them in weeks. $6.21 an hour + all you can eat candy to play Skee-ball all day (and clean up so, so much vomit).

There's also Super Soda candy that's amazing as well. Those are exactly what you thought Bottle Caps would be.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

empty sea posted:

Since I guess we're talking about things we can't get now, I really, really crave the Newfoundland Jam Jam cookies. They're a soft molasses cookie with either an apple-raspberry jam or a partridgeberry apple jam in the middle depending on the recipe, I can't seem to find the ingredients on the actual website. They are so loving good and soft.

Are they similar to these? Because I’m not really much of a sweets guy, but I will destroy a bag of these.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

fizzymercury posted:

Zotz? Those are one of the best candies around. The blue raspberry flavor of those is one of my favorite things on Earth. When I worked at Tilt in high school I considered the prize candies to be part of my pay and I motored through three 100 count cases of them in weeks. $6.21 an hour + all you can eat candy to play Skee-ball all day (and clean up so, so much vomit).

There's also Super Soda candy that's amazing as well. Those are exactly what you thought Bottle Caps would be.

I think it was Zotz, yeah. drat.

I have a thing of Super Soda in my cabinet from the last time I went to the Japanese market, they're great but boy I never would have thought I'd find my acid limit in a candy but they sure danced right over it.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

:pastryno:

this is amazing

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Data Graham posted:

I think it was Zotz, yeah. drat.

I have a thing of Super Soda in my cabinet from the last time I went to the Japanese market, they're great but boy I never would have thought I'd find my acid limit in a candy but they sure danced right over it.

My old housemate bought some sweets once that as far as I can tell were made out of pure citric acid and they were basically inedible.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

A guy I knew made homemade lemon drops and put in "as much citric acid as possible" per my request, and yeah, it wasn't as nice as I had imagined it would be

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

uber_stoat posted:

I feel like you really need the duller sweetness of the sticks to refresh your tongue between powder licking. Maybe even the smoother texture of them as well because licking powder sometimes fucks up your tongue from all the extra friction.

Like with a baby bottle pop you don't get as much of a respite and all that powder on the lollipop portion is stuck in place so it's much more abrasive.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

"On this episode of My Strange Addiction. Allison only eats one thing... *reality show sound sting* fun dip sticks."

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I always assumed the sticks were made out of "Lik-M-Aid" because that's what they say on them

My brother and I always used "Lik-M-Aid" as a metonym for "something that seems like it would be awesome but is really just sort of eehhhh, especially compared to whatever it's competing with"

Apparently that was the original name for Fun Dip itself

:aaaaa:

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
The best part of Lik-M-Aid was spilling all the powder on your sweaty yellow softball uniform to create a fabulous artsy looking tie dye mess.

The second best part was the weird chalk stick that eventually lead to a candy cigarette addiction that spread into a Camel Turkish Gold addiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Who needs candy when you can have a Marlboro Smooth?