Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
Trios 19 15.32%
Christian vs Kaz 4 3.23%
Arcade Anarchy 96 77.42%
Tay and Shida vs Nyla and The Bunny 5 4.03%
Total: 124 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Stables are cool (especially the way AEW does a variety of stables) because they very naturally help you build stories.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I love the stables. I hope they’re going to keep integrating women into them. It gives more FaceTime for the women’s roster if they’re aren’t going to do more than 1 match on Dynamite and gives more storytelling opportunities.

Anna and Tay with DO and Stat aligning with the Best Friends is a good start. I feel like Jade would be a good fit for QTs team or The Pinnacle.

Let’s get some mixed tags or trios going.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

"Writing subtlety is for cowards"

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

https://twitter.com/AnthonyOgogo/status/1377623561444192257
If Ogogo is "The Guv'nor" I'm very okay with this.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

I hope they put Kip and Penelope back with TH2 after Miro jettisons them.

heel turn
Jan 6, 2004

Some boy tried to step to me at the county fair. I said son u clearly have no ideal what creek im from
Varsity Blondes on the podcast today.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I liked so much about that show last night, it had a near perfect build in momentum to that satisfying as gently caress main event.

That being said, I do not care AT ALL about the QT Marshall stuff. Hopefully i can eat my words in a few weeks, but everything going on right between Cody and Cutie just bores me to tears. I guess with QT's "Magneto leading the evil students from within the Xaviar school" angle there could now be a lot of Dark matches I will still not watch. But it may mean more Nick Comoroto so that's nice.

And stables are good. It makes the singles guys (like Mox and Archer) feel more special by not really aligning with anyone on a steady basis.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I think some of the anti-stable concern comes from years of WWE, where stables are generally:

A vehicle to get one person over at the expense of everybody else (The League of Nations)
Completely pointless (The Corre)
Frustrating and pointless (The Nexus)

Of course you're gonna want to have buddies as a wrestler, these people don't exist in a vacuum outside of what you see on TV.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

The QT storyline increases the chance of Aaron Solow getting matches on TV. Therefore I am in favour of it.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

DeathChicken posted:

"Writing subtlety is for cowards"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yk7M2jGdnxU

Anybody that hasn't watched Garth Merenghi's Darkplace, should do so immediately.

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

stables rock, dudes rock

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

A Fancy Hat posted:

I think some of the anti-stable concern comes from years of WWE, where stables are generally:

A vehicle to get one person over at the expense of everybody else (The League of Nations)
Completely pointless (The Corre)
Frustrating and pointless (The Nexus)

Poor Wade :(

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

https://twitter.com/markmaddenx/status/1377438774393724928?s=21

Retweeted by some ding dong from the Torch who spent the night insisting the Nightmare Factory angle would befuddle 75% of the audience due to the use of the word “student.”

Holy crap, someone is still caring enough about what Mark Madden says to retweet him? That's certainly a choice. A bad choice.

I think it only sucks if you have the stables and they don't do much except tag together in throwaway house show matches, like New Japan does it currently. Like, if one of your group members is getting the poo poo kicked out of them then their pals should either be at ringside to defend them or else running in from the back as soon as they can defend them. Because watching Naito getting beaten up by the Bullet Club while LIJ were on the show earlier so you know they are in the venue makes them look like they don't give a poo poo about their friend & that blows. Basically do it the Dragon Gate way. Everyone is in a stable, they have a shared aesthetic, often shared entrances like Natural Vibes dance & they are in each others corners in case the heel unit start loving with the match. Also they are making noise at ringside cheering on their pal & that rules.

Seeing how much of a continuity nerd Khan is, I suspect that's how he'd do it.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

The QT Marshall stuff works best when you realize it’s a vehicle to get Solow, Comoroto & Ogogo (and Lee Johnson) over and not QT.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

enigmahfc posted:

That being said, I do not care AT ALL about the QT Marshall stuff. Hopefully i can eat my words in a few weeks, but everything going on right between Cody and Cutie just bores me to tears. I guess with QT's "Magneto leading the evil students from within the Xaviar school" angle there could now be a lot of Dark matches I will still not watch. But it may mean more Nick Comoroto so that's nice.

I really couldn't give a poo poo about QT or the QT/Cody feud running up to last night's match either but for whatever reason the split last night really worked for me. It's less about QT for me now and more about the dudes in the Nightmare Family that finally get to break out on their own.

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

Hell, I legitimately enjoyed the Social Outcasts.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Incredibly happy to see Statlander.

The women's division is shaping up reaaaaaaaaaaal nice.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

The QT Marshall stuff works best when you realize it’s a vehicle to get Solow, Comoroto & Ogogo (and Lee Johnson) over and not QT.

I'm very interested in Ogogo finally doing stuff. Like Tay, he comes from a legit combat sports background and I want to see how that influences his in-ring style.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Yeah I think the nightmare family stuff is a lot more about Anthony Ogogo than about QT.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

explosivo posted:

https://twitter.com/AnthonyOgogo/status/1377623561444192257
If Ogogo is "The Guv'nor" I'm very okay with this.

Ogogo slowly undoing his cuff to roll up his sleeve really made this one punch thing work for me. Draw it out and make us feel it.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Here's a nice little faction round up that I totally didn't steal from the squaredcircle reddit and certainly was not created by PolishThrasher. *wink wink, nudge nudge*

Dark Order
Current Members
Alan Angels "5"
Alex Reynolds
Colt Cabana
Evil Uno
John Silver
Pres10 Vance
Stu Grayson
Anna Jay

Associated Wrestlers: Hangman Page, Tay Conti

Enemies: Matt Hardy Empire, The Acclaimed, Alan Angels

Nightmare Family
Current Members
Arn Anderson
Austin Gunn
Billy Gunn
Brandi Rhodes
Cody Rhodes
Colten Gunn
Dustin Rhodes
Lee Johnson

Associated Wrestlers: Red Velvet

Enemies: Nightmare Family Wolfpack, Shaq, Jade Cargill, The Pretty Picture

Nightmare Family Wolfpack
Current Members
Aaron Solow
Anthony Ogogo
Nick Comoroto
QT Marshall

Associated Wrestlers: Shawn Dean

Enemies: Nightmare Family

The Elite

Current Members
Matt Jackson AEW Tag Team Champion
Nick Jackson AEW Tag Team Champion

Associated Wrestlers: Brandon Cutler, Jon Moxley, SCU (Christopher Daniels and Frankie Kazarian)

Enemies: The Invisible Hand

The Invisible Hand
Current Members
Kenny Omega AEW World Champion
Karl Anderson
Luke Gallows
Michael Nakazawa
Don Callis Literal Human Garbage

Associated Wrestlers: Kenta (Bullet Club?)

Enemies: The Elite, Jon Moxley, Death Triangle, Eddie Kingston, The Sydals

Team Taz
Current Members
Brian Cage FTW Champion
Hook
Powerhouse Hobbs
Ricky Starks
Taz

Associated Wrestlers: None

Enemies: String and Darby Allin

The Pinnacle
Current Wrestlers
Cash Wheeler
Dax Harwood
MJF
Shawn Spears
Wardlow
Tully Blanchard

Enemies: The Inner Circle

The Inner Circle
Current Members
Chris Jericho
Jake Hager
Ortiz
Sammy Guevarra
Santana

Enemies: The Pinnacle, Young Bucks

The Best Friends
Current Members
Chuck Taylor
Orange Cassidy
Trent Beretta

Associated Wrestlers: Kris Statlander

Enemies: Miro, Kip Sabian, Penelope Ford

Matt Hardy Empire
Current Members
Allie (The Bunny)
Isiah Kassidy
Matt Hardy
Marq Quen
The Blade
The Butcher

Enemies: Darby Allin, Sting, the Dark Order

Death Triangle
Current Members
Pac
Penta El Zero M
Rey Fenix

Associated Wrestlers: Laredo Kid, Alex Abrahantes

Enemies: The Invisible Hand, the Elite

The Pretty Picture
Current Members
Peter Avalon
Cezar Bononi
JD Drake
Ryan Nemeth

Enemies: Ugly People

Jurassic Express
Current Members
Jungle Boy
Luchasaurus
Marko Stunt

Enemies: Bear Country

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

I have enjoyed QT''s character run from jobber to part of Cody's inner circle. Now all that went to his head and he thinks he's better than Cody.

It's a pretty natural progression and Cody's enough of a dick (he got the full entrance last night for crying out loud) that you can also relate to QT.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Nothing even feels that different with AEW. Last night's episode focused on factions but they kind of have always had a lot of factions or at least wrestlers who were friends on-screen. The company was founded by a wrestling faction.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Whoever this Current Members guy is, he seems to be a part of every faction in AEW

Wait... is that was CM stood for this whole time???

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

So what I'm seeing is that they could do an entire PPV out of all the groups vying for some kind of King of Stables title and make a bajillion dollars

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Penguin Patrol posted:

Whoever this Current Members guy is, he seems to be a part of every faction in AEW

Wait... is that was CM stood for this whole time???

Yes.

His enemy is called.......................Vacant! One of the greatest champions of all time.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

duckdealer posted:

Yeah I think the nightmare family stuff is a lot more about Anthony Ogogo than about QT.

And this is why subtext is for cowards.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Is Ogogo AEW's first sole developmental prospect?

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

They really screwed up calling it the Death Triangle. They can't add any more members.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

The Last Call posted:

Nightmare Family Wolfpack
Current Members
Aaron Solow
Anthony Ogogo
Nick Comoroto
QT Marshall

QT isn't long for this stable. His name doesn't end with an -o sound.

Crapple! posted:

They really screwed up calling it the Death Triangle. They can't add any more members.

If you think that PAC doesn't have the mental fortitude to make a six sided triangle...

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Why don't people like good ol' JR in AEW?

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Reflecting on last night’s dynamite, it was another top episode for them and without thinking of ranks because it doesn’t matter, it feels like one that I would go: “that was a top 10 dynamite”.

But there’s a lot of those top 10 Dynamite episodes.

The three biggest things that pop for me are:

1) The main event from the lingering ending that made the match have staying power, to the Stat return, to everybody just looking like pros out there. It was a near 5* match too.

2) The Nightmare Family angle: there’s two parts in particular that felt almost movie-esque and it was QT on the ramp, standing blank face and he is just moving his head slowly, blankly staring as his faction members do damage. It was like he was commanding them with the look of his eyes and I thought this psychology was second to none. It felt like a mob boss directing traffic and killing you with just a look.

On top of this, Ogogo’s mannerisms and the punch itself looked like a loving gangster. I FELT that hit to Cody. He looked like a G doing it too. Wow.

3) jade’s promo was absolutely fire. Bottom line. If I wasn’t a fan, I would have seen that and said man she has got something powerful.

Loved it.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Pylons posted:

That’s how they pitched him when they signed him, but Jade probably also counts.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

ICR posted:

2) The Nightmare Family angle: there’s two parts in particular that felt almost movie-esque and it was QT on the ramp, standing blank face and he is just moving his head slowly, blankly staring as his faction members do damage. It was like he was commanding them with the look of his eyes and I thought this psychology was second to none. It felt like a mob boss directing traffic and killing you with just a look.

Yeah I loved this too. His gradual shift from "My god what have I done" to "Hell yeah beat his loving rear end too" was :discourse:

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

That’s how they pitched him when they signed him, but Jade probably also counts.

I think she also trained a bit under AR Fox.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

gh0stpinballa posted:

Partly because he's a horny old man who acts said way towards the women.

Partly because he gets angry when people do various dives regularly.

And partly because he no sells some gimmicks like Abadon which is certainly not something he'd ever do towards someone say the Undertaker.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I like JR

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

gh0stpinballa posted:

Speaking for myself, part of is is that he's got (and has expressed) some outdated views about women and other subjects. Part of it is that sometimes he gats crotchaty to the point of it damaging the broadcast. And part of it is just that he's getting older and isn't really in the shape to drive a wrestling broadcast any more.

He's been better the past few weeks, but there was some time where I just found him embarrassing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Pylons posted:

I'd think people like Anna Jay and Carlie Bravo count, no?

Nightmare factory as opposed to AEW I guess.