Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Now that I am done having a meltdown over the servers because they are working correctly, this game is actually good. The shooting and looting is really solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

Absolutely loving this actually.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah same. pyro is really coming together for me as well, loving it now.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

the stutter. the stutter.

Snostorm
Sep 9, 2013

Bardeh posted:

Yeah, pretty much. It has a pretty cool and in-depth crafting system and infinite free skillpoint respecs, so the endgame is going to be all about theorycrafting ridiculous builds and grinding the 15(?) endgame maps at increasing difficulty levels.

So kinda like Borderlands?

Tei posted:

Finished the game!

Good vibes. Is a cool game. Enjoyed the story, lore, characters, enemies and weapons.

Did not made most secondaries, so theres a lot of game if I want to backtrack.

How long did it take for you to finish?

Snostorm fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Apr 2, 2021

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Can you jump in with a buddy right away or do you have to do tutorials and whatever first?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

GigaPeon posted:

Can you jump in with a buddy right away or do you have to do tutorials and whatever first?

A kinda tedious 20 min tutorial, it’s mostly story setting

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

I really hope they fix this stutter fast because this is a fun, dumb game.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Other than having to try a couple times to get connected (stupid must-be-online single player games do annoy me), I have had no issues. Haven't really played too much yet, made it to level 10 and I'm about half way through WT6 on my devastator.

Kind of disappointed with the impale/spike skill, but it is pretty cool when it works and leaves a dude stuck hanging in the air impaled on my earthy spike.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I'm not looking for details, just a yes / no is fine. Do you get to fight one of those giant gently caress off 4 legged things you see during the opening cinematic?

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

I know it's super early to be worried about end game balance, but the only builds I'm seeing people use in high world tier expeditions on twitch appear to all be based around bullet powers. It's all toxic / twisted / fire rounds builds with support skills.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
https://i.imgur.com/8EadYr3.mp4

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
https://i.imgur.com/tj3OFWF.mp4

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Played a bunch and then did a replay in coop. The coop was pretty jank at the start but the servers were crashing so its prob both the servers and the game.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

skaianDestiny posted:

How's the story?

I am biased, because I am a huge fan of science fiction. Theres a huge arch of story here, with mysteries and huge reveals. I say is a really good stroy, but I am a fan of this poo poo, so is like tiny kiss on my checks.

Snostorm posted:

How long did it take for you to finish?

I believe around 16 hours. But I had a lot of luck with the weapons drops, made a cool build and choose the funtastic class (tricksters). I believe it will take more than 20 hours for most people.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
How did you manage to play 16 hours of the game without the servers exploding on you

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

How did you manage to play 16 hours of the game without the servers exploding on you

I can whisper to machines, and they understand my song.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

What are people mostly playing on btw? I can do PC or PS5. There a reason to go with one over the other? My PC's roughly in line with my PS5 powerwise fwiw.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Apr 2, 2021

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

A Sometimes Food posted:

What are people mostly playing on btw? I can do PC or PS5. There a reason to go with one over the other? My PC's roughly in line with my PS5 powerwise fwiw.

PC versions have problems. But you should play where you have your friends.

I think the PC version problems will be solved, but may give you a bad experience if you are one of the unlucky persons to have crash & slowdowns.

I played on Xbox Serie X and had exactly one crash. The XSX version is almost perfect.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Nvidia team, disable Ansel, seems to help with stutter

(if your nvidia overlay is off, turn it on to disable Ansel, the "photo mode" setting, then off again)

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
The game is running fine now and is good.

I really like if you are doing well it gets more and more challenging.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah, no issues at all for me now on PC (apart from crossplay not working)

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

If any of you are playing time ninja, I highly suggest looking into the top talent tree and getting your hands on a good shotgun.

Something like:

I run with:
-Borrowed Time (modded for armor/resist + cooldown) = Your beef and mobility skill, also procs weapon damage from talents on use.
-Venerators Knife (modded for range) = Trash clear (low cooldown) doubles damage to targets, procs weapon damage from talents on use.
-Twisted Rounds (modded for 2 mags + piercing) = Massive firepower increase. Big thing about this skill is that it refills your magazine when you activate it, but you cannot use it during a reload! Also procs weapon damage from talents when finished.

It's an extremely aggressive build - you live (and die) by having enemies around to explode. The more the better. Your biggest vulnerability is closing big gaps between yourself and enemies in cover - but you can also use Hunt the Prey instead of Borrowed Time (but you lose a quick retreat option, and some generous tankiness)

Drop BT on cooldown and before running into fights - while the affect is up, you are significantly beefier (and your talent boosts your weapon damage)
Use Knife and Twisted rounds in alteration - you should always have one or the other effect up.

If a boss shows up, use both abilities and they are very likely to die in under 4 hits - with a Vulnerability modded weapon, it usually takes 2.

An example of me deleting one of the Hunt bosses:
MILDLY SPOILERISH
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGKJkzYDdjI

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Apr 2, 2021

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I feel poison bullets are really good for bosses. Once they get a good DOT, you can use cover, reload, and is good damage sustain.

Theres a few buffs to poison you can get, like a mod for extra +15% damage, and I think one class have a lot of perks for poison damage.

Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Trip report. Love this game. PC version through Steam.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Look, PCF, you already got me removing crossplay and forcing a restart if a controller is plugged in. You don't need to extra kick me in the balls by disabling the HUD.

Thanks for the heads up on disabling Nvidia's crap. Way better framerate (a 3080 and 5600X isn't powerful enough to handle nvidia overlays) which lets me enjoy the beautiful HUD-free environment. Unlocked crafting finally. Made a set with four bonuses to Thermal Bomb and the double mag bullet buff.

Frustrated posted:

I know it's super early to be worried about end game balance, but the only builds I'm seeing people use in high world tier expeditions on twitch appear to all be based around bullet powers. It's all toxic / twisted / fire rounds builds with support skills.

I haven't watched any streams but that's entirely expected. So many powers rely on killing (useless in a boss context) or dealing direct damage. The direct damage will never scale as high as gear will, because when that happens someone in the design department gasps and changes the numbers. That leaves you with CC, activated healing, and buffing guns. Guns which also have health steal, no cooldown, and in some cases mods that are basically abilities.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Sooo...People Can Fly is a completely different company now is it? Because I can't believe that the same people that made Painkiller and Bullet Storm made this slow-rear end boring cover shooter the kind of which I thought went extinct a decade ago.

Estel
May 4, 2010

Frustrated posted:

It doesn't matter the balance, lots of people are going to use the fire and forget skills specially solo because it's the safest option. If you die you have to start the expedition again compared to coop where you have one self-revive + other players can revive you.

Once people start optimizing equipment and passives more builds will be used.

Jack Trades posted:

Sooo...People Can Fly is a completely different company now is it? Because I can't believe that the same people that made Painkiller and Bullet Storm made this slow-rear end boring cover shooter the kind of which I thought went extinct a decade ago.

I know everyone can enjoy the game in different ways but if you are playing the game as a cover shooter you are doing it wrong.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
It feels like Vanquish where you can technically play it as a cover shooter but if you do that half your kit won't work right and you'll have a miserable time.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
It seems to depend on the class, because as a Technomancer in the early levels there sure are more pieces of cover than reasons to run around in the open or get close to the enemy.

Gryff
Feb 7, 2012

Yep. I think the cover is there for the enemy, not you.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Estel posted:

I know everyone can enjoy the game in different ways but if you are playing the game as a cover shooter you are doing it wrong.

Considering how the movement speed of your character seems to be comparable to that of a glacier, I'm not sure how else you're supposed to play it.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

playing it like a cover shooter is boring, but you don't have to --- once you have borderlands-like weapons and a lot of skills, you can build your gameplay so you never take cover maybe hide to heal, but you could play like destiny

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Gryff posted:

Yep. I think the cover is there for the enemy, not you.

Pretty much

If I'm not out in the open stomping around like a stone god I'm teleporting across the battlefield to get closer to packs of dudes to smash

I'm actually enjoying the game more than I expected, it's fun with friends and the encounters scale nicely, huge packs of targets. First "real" boss wasn't half bad either

Estel
May 4, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

Considering how the movement speed of your character seems to be comparable to that of a glacier, I'm not sure how else you're supposed to play it.

You are faster than any enemy in this game and if you push them some of the human ranged enemies stop shooting and try to run for cover. If you sit behind cover you will die because you are not near enemies to recover health. Yeah, you get closer to a group of enemies and you have lost 90% of your life but once you kill something, and if you keep your equipment up to level and use your skills normal enemies should die instantly, you are full health again.

Behind cover you will constantly receive low amounts of damage that you can't heal and once a big hitting enemy or a rusher hits you then you die. If you keep moving and killing it's a lot safer than sitting behind cover, your health bar will look like a rollercoaster going up and down but it doesn't matter if you are still alive.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I am playing solo rn so it's looking like the best way to handle world tiers is to keep them as low as possible until endgame. There's no XP penalty and you're going to outgrow gear really fast anyway. I'm probably going to keep it at 5 or 6 until I hit 30. I even dropped to 1 just to get that volcano boss out of the way because it annoyed me at WT6.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Roman posted:

I am playing solo rn so it's looking like the best way to handle world tiers is to keep them as low as possible until endgame. There's no XP penalty and you're going to outgrow gear really fast anyway. I'm probably going to keep it at 5 or 6 until I hit 30. I even dropped to 1 just to get that volcano boss out of the way because it annoyed me at WT6.

This is valid but I like butting my head against the highest tier I can go

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Hey, I'm not even playing this at the moment but I just wanted to drop a tip based on some of the recent gameplay I'm seeing:

If you want to pick up loot faster to keep the pace up instead of picking it up piece-by-piece, or are worried you might miss a piece, you can hit auto-loot to immediately pick up everything in a large radius. Just hit H on your keyboard or d-pad down.

Also, don't forget to use your melee. It counts as a cone blast ability that applies your class element (very good for tricksters to apply slow or pyros to mark with fire). You can also do an AOE slam by hitting melee when sprinting.

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Apr 2, 2021

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

an actual dog posted:

This is valid but I like butting my head against the highest tier I can go
You do you but I'm at the point in loot gaming where I refuse to make anything even .0000000000000000000000000001% harder than it needs to be

When I played Ghost Recon Breakpoint in Immersive mod with gear score turned off I had difficulty at Extreme, but when I turned it on and found out difficulty made no difference to xp/loot quality I dropped that poo poo down to Easy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

FutureCop posted:

Hey, I'm not even playing this at the moment but I just wanted to drop a tip based on some of the recent gameplay I'm seeing:

If you want to pick up loot faster to keep the pace up instead of picking it up piece-by-piece, or are worried you might miss a piece, you can hit auto-loot to immediately pick up everything in a large radius. Just hit H on your keyboard or d-pad down.

Even better, you don't have to worry about missing anything ever because it dumps everything in your inventory on zone transition if you missed it