Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Dustin is supposedly a bad worker, but not as bad as this lady is, clearly. If she thinks Dustin sucks that much, she should fire him from the temp agency.

I've always admired this one.

Vintage Valiant (Jul. 16, 1944)

The Medieval Castle (Jul. 16, 1944)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Literally never has a coffee shop employee cared about this.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

ikanreed posted:

Literally never has a coffee shop employee cared about this.

It was management's idea.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

PainterofCrap posted:

Nightcrawlers - 1957

Welp, it's been a good ride!

Cheers, all

Thank you for introducing me to Addams's work. I've really enjoyed his art and unique brand of comedy just being :murder: more often than not.

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä (March 23, 1991)

Welp, RIP Ronkainen.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

amigolupus posted:

Welp, RIP Ronkainen.

yup...

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

:rip: Ronkainen

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Kavak posted:

It was management's idea.

Management installs the wifi so people will sit around all day and maybe order a second coffee.

People staying there for long stretches is literally the point.

To be fair, the management of any given coffee shop might not know that and installs free wifi because "that's what coffee shops do" and has a desperate fear of free riders

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

ikanreed posted:

Management installs the wifi so people will sit around all day and maybe order a second coffee.

People staying there for long stretches is literally the point.

To be fair, the management of any given coffee shop might not know that and installs free wifi because "that's what coffee shops do" and has a desperate fear of free riders

Honestly, I'm betting Skelley is just an out-of-touch boomer and doesn't know how coffee shops work.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

PainterofCrap posted:

Nightcrawlers - 1957

Cheers, all

thanks for posting addams, it was always the highlight of my day. even when his art was pretty... culturally insensitive, his gags were still solid, and he had a real talent for making characters relatable, regardless of their culture. he spoke to and about the darkness in everyone, and i appreciate it immensely.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

PainterofCrap posted:

Nightcrawlers - 1957

Thanks a lot! These have been one of my favorite additions to this thread.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

EBB posted:

:rip: Ronkainen

Yup, and the last thing he hears is her lambasting him for being a ne'er-do-well.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

man, I wish I could go sit in a coffee shop and write this essay I gotta do.

The campus pub used to be great for that, too.

:sigh:

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Dude, Curtis, whatever your mom is making for dinner sounds good. Don't gently caress this up for yourself!

Points for accuracy. People who sew (or knit or crochet etc) get asked to make poo poo for people all the loving time and these people always act like they're doing the crafter some kind of favor because "it's your hobby so you enjoy doing it, right?" Nah, it takes time and effort and planning and skill and you paying for the (surprisingly expensive) materials is bare minimum, not like some kind of bonus to throw on top so you can pretend you're being generous.

I normally defend Bets just on the general principle that somebody Team Evans wants me to dislike can't actually be too bad, but no, she's sucking big time this arc.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

PainterofCrap posted:

Nightcrawlers - 1957

Cheers, all
Thanks! I was certain I'd seen all of his works but there were a few that were new to me!

B Kliban

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Vargo posted:

Wallace

Where did even the seagull come from

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Jul. 16, 1944)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJoM7V54T-c

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Gee, I wonder why Dustin doesn't work very hard for a company that offers him low pay, no benefits, and zero job security.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

Great? Now let's get Wilbur drunk again.

The Phantom

Yup, that's exactly what happened.

Not sure what relevance that has to current events though.

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

They have the best pie.

Apartment 3-G

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Apparently this is a picture Tove Jansson drew when she was tired of doing Moomin comics. Tove no :ohdear:

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Apparently this is a picture Tove Jansson drew when she was tired of doing Moomin comics. Tove no :ohdear:

big "Charlotte Braun vs. the Ax" energies

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

WindyMan posted:

Where did even the seagull come from

It’s family game night. Why wouldn’t they be there?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's player 4, sitting in the camera position.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Oh my god. Worubu is having a flashback and then another person is having a flashback within that flashback. Worubu is also acting very smug although he is completely clueless.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (September 5, 1933)

Peanuts (April 5, 1974)

Harry Dinkle: God of Music

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (November 2, 1937)

Out Our Way (May 18-20,1936)

Toonerville Folks (June 7-9, 1917)

Dok's "We're Home! What Smells Like Burning Pianos And Yellow Journalism?" Duck (July 21, 1913)

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

Great? Now let's get Wilbur drunk again.

Something about this rubs me the wrong way. Eve's been physically abused by her ex-husband, even almost shot, yet she forgives him to end this story. I get that she said to her therapist that she's torn whether to forgive the guy or not, but the way the therapist pushed for forgiveness as the solution rather than actually helping Eve sort out her feelings just seems wrong somehow.

EasyEW posted:

Harry Dinkle: God of Music

Jesus loving Christ, this rear end in a top hat forced these women to practice for hours until way past their regular bedtime. :psyduck: They're performing for the church's congregation, not competing for the interstate band contest. And Dinkle even has the gall to frown at this old lady for speaking up about it, this sadistic old gently caress.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I am tired of the Dinkle. Bring on the next boring atrocity in store for these people's miserable lives.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Julet Esqu posted:

I normally defend Bets just on the general principle that somebody Team Evans wants me to dislike can't actually be too bad, but no, she's sucking big time this arc.

Wait, is she supposed to be annoying?

I keep expecting her to be written out because they don't know what to do with ethnic characters.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Alright so Luann is not subtle when it comes to which characters are Good Characters and which ones are Bad Characters and the problem is that Bets is supposed to be Gunther's Bad Girlfriend. The problem is that for a while she was pretty sympathetic because she was actually into Gunther's Entitled Nice Guy horseshit, so it's been a gradual erosion of her character by adding on more and more Bad Characterization. Like, ever since she was pretty alright the first time, they've been working on making her this fame-seeking streamer monster who likes popularity and internet likes more than Gunther to the extent that she kind of just ignores Gunther's free will and what he wants, which has not really made most of us dislike her because Gunther loving sucks. But now, yeah, this is just idiotic.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

cancerdinkle

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Hostile V posted:

Alright so Luann is not subtle when it comes to which characters are Good Characters and which ones are Bad Characters and the problem is that Bets is supposed to be Gunther's Bad Girlfriend. The problem is that for a while she was pretty sympathetic because she was actually into Gunther's Entitled Nice Guy horseshit, so it's been a gradual erosion of her character by adding on more and more Bad Characterization. Like, ever since she was pretty alright the first time, they've been working on making her this fame-seeking streamer monster who likes popularity and internet likes more than Gunther to the extent that she kind of just ignores Gunther's free will and what he wants, which has not really made most of us dislike her because Gunther loving sucks. But now, yeah, this is just idiotic.

They are probably trying for fame thirsty albatross but she seems like one of the most normal people.

curtadams
Mar 24, 2019

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Terry Beatty seems to have taken one of the periodic complaints that "Rex Morgan couldn't possibly be any more lame or boring" as a challenge.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Hostile V posted:

I still don't think she'll ever get written out. She seems like the excuse for the younger Evans to make pop culture references.

"Sally Forth does it dad. Do you think we aren't as good as Sally Forth?"

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

curtadams posted:

Terry Beatty seems to have taken one of the periodic complaints that "Rex Morgan couldn't possibly be any more lame or boring" as a challenge.

Thing is, this could have been kind of sweet if it had been Rex playing pretend with Sara. Still dull, but there'd be some heart to it. This whole "all in her imagination" thing doesn't even have that.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Ella Cinders

Zorro

Reply All

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Hostile V posted:

Yeah, Bets is one of the best characters and it's obvious that the Evanses didn't intend that, so every other storyline with her is character assassination after character assassination trying to get us to hate her, but even still she's still better than any of the characters we're supposed to like. It is absurdly ham-handed. Anyways, I meant to do this earlier, but

Same, Little My.

I'm running late on my comics, I'll probably get them tomorrow.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Les is the best character in Luann. There is no argument.

I don't care all that much for Bets, but wouldn't call her a "Bad Character". Just seems like one of those Type-A Extroverts , which often says and does thing without really considering whether other people would even want to.
" Of course Gunther wants to spend all evening sewing this poo poo up!"

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! (April 21, 1918)

Outbursts of Everett True (June 2, 1918)

Banana Oil! (January 25, 1924)

Gay and Her Gang (May 15, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (October 15, 1935)

Dark Laughter (June 12, 1943)

Mopsy Sunday (June 13, 1948)

Those Were the Days (July 17, 1952)

Dinky Fellas (July 6, 1965)

Wee Pals (July 6, 1965)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Nightcrawlers