Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

v1ld posted:

Magnamalo is a fun fight. Got a plate on the first run in the target rewards, go go 2% chance!

LBG continues to be great fun. Been using the Barroth for its decent raw combined with rpf Pierce 1 and Shrapnel 1. Also has a Pierce Effect rampage upgrade that unlocks Pierce 2 and adds more ammo.

Do rampage upgrades stay if you upgrade the weapon in its main tree?

They do, and also will give you higher tier of the same options. My Attack II could upgrade to Attack III for example when I went from Sinister horn 1 -> 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Rage slash has really made me appreciate how often I miss TCS and how clunky it is

Rise greatsword is bonkers fun

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Thinking posted:

Rage slash has really made me appreciate how often I miss TCS and how clunky it is

Rise greatsword is bonkers fun

how does this work, i haven't tried GS in Rise yet

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug
I wish I could make better use of metsu shoryugeki in multi, the longer cooldown is a bit harsh :(

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

It's similar to Brimstone Slash. Instead of TCS you basically just have an extra charged slash where you have hyper armor/take 30% less damage and if you get hit while charging you do extra damage. Not sure it will become meta for speedruns as you need to be hit for it to be as consistent as TCS (and it does lower damage) but for someone like me who misses their final TCS half the time it feels amazing to use and seems way more consistent.

It still builds your stun gauge, plus you still take damage and if you're like me and you feel like you're beasting through attacks with tackles and rage slashes and constantly being aggressive and in a flow and then you realise you have no HP and cart

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Thinking posted:

It's similar to Brimstone Slash. Instead of TCS you basically just have an extra charged slash where you have hyper armor/take 30% less damage and if you get hit while charging you do extra damage. Not sure it will become meta for speedruns as you need to be hit for it to be as consistent as TCS (and it does lower damage) but for someone like me who misses their final TCS half the time it feels amazing to use and seems way more consistent.

It still builds your stun gauge, plus you still take damage and if you're like me and you feel like you're beasting through attacks with tackles and rage slashes and constantly being aggressive and in a flow and then you realise you have no HP and cart

Even if it didn't get boosted damage from tanking a hit, just the fact that it can be re-directed 360 degrees makes it a FAR better move for standard play.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Can anyone recommend a decent gyro controller that's considerably cheaper than the switch pro?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Diephoon posted:

Can anyone recommend a decent gyro controller that's considerably cheaper than the switch pro?

A Dual Shock 4 with a controller converter like a Brook Wingman NS?

Edit: Assuming you already have a Dual Shock 4 that is.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Diephoon posted:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T8JKVNT

8BitDo Pro+

Or wait for the Pro2 that's coming out.

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I love the description for a Felyne Ruby. I wish the rubies my cats leave around the house were just as valuable.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Zinogre kicks my rear end, sends me flying into the air.

Stars in my eyes.

His theme swells with the horns and the chorus and he electrifies.

"HE'S SO COOL!"

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I think I might give great sword a shot, run some earlier village quests with it for practice. Learning better positioning will probably help me mess with longsword less

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Don't weep for HBG just yet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXIRhAws-1o

That's got ammo problems, being all cluster bombs. But still pretty impressive to see Mag go down in 2:35.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Does anybody know the arena coins are used for?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

v1ld posted:

That's got ammo problems, being all cluster bombs. But still pretty impressive to see Mag go down in 2:35.

drat, not even charging the shots. That's nutso

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

like this

https://streamable.com/uhobb1

rise GS is perhaps the greatest Sword

https://streamable.com/dretwe

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

I stopped doing village quests after the credits. Any reason to go back and continue through the five star hunts or are there no goodies there? I’ve been down in the hub since so not sure if I’m missing anything.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

In Training posted:

Should be gear as usual.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

v1ld posted:

tatsuffy continues to be insane at this game

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Diephoon posted:

Yep, if you want to copy the best players speed run videos are the ones you probably want to look at.

Here is a FINAL BOSS SPOILER video of someone beating it in 4 minutes with a bow set they posted at the end of the video. (@ 4:20, nice)
(un-video tagged to hide thumbnail)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yb5jO6lZE60

As many could have guessed, it's focused on boosting attack and crits, the rest is the player performing extremely well!

What does Reload Speed do for bows? Is that just an extra skill from a bowgun-themed armor piece?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Did you gain max power?

Yes.

What did it cost?

(sadly) Evade Extend 2

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

In Training posted:

I know a helmet that gives Mighty Bow skill in this game can only be made with arena stuff if you care about that

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Reiley posted:

What does Reload Speed do for bows? Is that just an extra skill from a bowgun-themed armor piece?

'Improved handling for bows', whatever that means.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Hellioning posted:

'Improved handling for bows', whatever that means.

Looking it up and apparently lv1 speeds up coating application and lv2+ auto-applies coats when you switch between them.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Social Animal posted:

I stopped doing village quests after the credits. Any reason to go back and continue through the five star hunts or are there no goodies there? I’ve been down in the hub since so not sure if I’m missing anything.

Unlock sub #3 and some dango ingredients I guess.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

How do I get commendations. Some weapon upgrades need them

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Pablo Nergigante posted:

How do I get commendations. Some weapon upgrades need them

Multi monster quests in the arena usually. Not the arena quests just the ones that take place there in hub/village

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

YoshiOfYellow posted:

How is it that all the areas in this game are super rad? Granted I haven't made it to Lethal Lava Land yet so maybe that'll break the streak but all the other maps are really pretty and fun to traverse. First thing I did when going to Flooded Forest was go to the top of the pyramid naturally.

it's because they're 3rd gen areas and 3rd gen is cool :c00lbert:

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
So I just got to HR and see rampage weapons are a thing now. How viable are these? Should I prioritize making them or upgrading what I have?

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I also just got into HR. As a switch axe user, the rampage weapon kind of feels like best thing I can make right now... once I get the zennies.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I like how in a game with bows and bowguns there is a bow which looks like a gun but isn't a bowgun at all.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The rampage weapons I've seen are all really good, you can customize them to whatever element you want or just be strong raw weapons, you can gently caress with their sharpness bars and affinity in weird ways, and you're not really giving anything up for the flexibility of it. They're almost Too Good

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Why didn't anyone tell me World's wall jump plunging attack for SnS was back as part of the shoryugeki? People are so accustomed to ignoring the jumping slash I bet they won't even realize this exists lol

What exactly are they talking about with the counter aspect? Does it have a guard point?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Deified Data posted:

So I just got to HR and see rampage weapons are a thing now. How viable are these? Should I prioritize making them or upgrading what I have?

I used the rampage CB through all of HR, first as an elemental lightning phial set and then switching to pure raw impact once it had the option to drop the affinity to -30 in exchange for huge Attack, it's a better diablos CB than the actual diablos CB and even by the time I finished HR nothing surpassed it. The rampage weapons are super cool and you can make them into any kind of weapon you want for way cheaper than actually crafting the other stuff.

Only downside is that the weapon is kind of ugly for CB so now that I'm in the endgame chill out building phase I'm going back to making a ton of other weapons that look cooler.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Rampage weapons are ok for early HR, not really good at the top end. At least for the weapon types I've checked they're easily outclassed by regular monster weapons.

e: Goss Harag weapons are better than Rampage weapons with Attack Surge (high raw negative affinity) for every weapon type I've checked, and Narga weapons are better than Affinity Surge Rampage weapons (high affinity, lower raw).

Ojetor fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Apr 3, 2021

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Deified Data posted:

Why didn't anyone tell me World's wall jump plunging attack for SnS was back as part of the shoryugeki?

The what

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Ojetor posted:

Rampage weapons are ok for early HR, not really good at the top end. At least for the weapon types I've checked they're easily outclassed by regular monster weapons.

e: Goss Harag weapons are better than Rampage weapons with Attack Surge (high raw negative affinity) for every weapon type I've checked, and Narga weapons are better than Affinity Surge Rampage weapons (high affinity, lower raw).
There's only like, at most a half dozen weapons per tree that I've seen that are dramatically better, I'm not really sure how that makes them only "ok for early HR"

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Yeah, maybe I worded that badly. I just mean that they're not the final weapon you'll be building. As you progress through HR just use the best weapon available to you, which might well be a Rampage weapon.

What I meant is that once you're done with progressing you're not going to use a Rampage weapon as your endgame weapon. At least for the raw-focused weapons which is what I've looked at mostly. Maybe for elemental you can use one to cover an element where the monster alternatives are weak.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

The rampage weapons are clearly going to get better with every new apex they add. Late April hype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

The early couple tiers of the rampage bow are pretty bad. No coats without using slots AND really poor charge progression in exchange for very slightly more raw damage is not great. I have not upgraded all the way though