Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Comrade Koba posted:

anyway boss was a minor contractor among hundreds and had 100-something slave
laborers. it’s cool how the internet turns that into the assumption that he ran the entire nazi uniform manufacturing business and the guys who didn’t end up famous get off scot free.

is the argument here that he worked with nazis and you want us to be mad at all the other people who worked with nazis that we don’t know about and don’t have multinational corporations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

years of being Extremely Online have enhanced my capacity for Being Mad to the point where I can simultaneously be mad at Boss AND all the other hitherto unmentioned Nazis and collaborators

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Pfff he only had like 100 slaves, that's basically nothing

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/everythingloria/status/1378060011360821248?s=19

Reaching Darmok & Jalad territory here imo

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngEICruq0fc&t=16s

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

the mcelroy brothers have a new tv show?

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

I can't believe there's a test named after such a trash and mediocre director as Ava duvernay

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1378354464407629826?s=19

Point, Ken

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNHiCrDJ3ZA

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

all the women are talking about a man bechdel test FAILED

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

sexpig by night posted:

army uniforms: normal rear end things you’d wear for army poo poo.

air force uniforms: dumb little fancy boy outfits but not really an active danger to anyone they just look dumb and lame.

marine uniforms: also dumb little fancy boy outfits but less lame than air force, also not literally life threatening at least.

navy uniforms: send my regards to your family you dumb boat moron

:thunk:

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Look invading papersource was really a key part of the strategic planning when they designed those

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Since I wasn't reading too close and didn't realize Phig and Buck Wildman were getting into a proper flamewar before I inadvertently chose a side...

I'm sure there's plenty of good Anarchists. And I'm sure Phig is one. But I think I'm a pretty good guy and I like Dave Matthews (can't help it, 90s kid) and Robert Earl Keen, and I recognize that any time I mention those affiliations to anyone I'm going to have to put in work on the front end to demonstrate that I'm not like their usual shithead fanbases - that do exist and vastly outnumber people like me. Same deal.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Don't be too hard on people doing that. As hard as it is to believe :smuggo: I've been terminally dumb/naive about a lot of things that very angry people thought I should have had an in depth knowledge of somehow.

SA is about as "online" as I get, so I appreciate when people actually explain things even though others may think it's a given that people should already know.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Organ Fiend posted:

Seriously, what it's their definition? No I wil never watch breadtube and find out for myself.

Genuine answer - "left" to these people essentially means "calling out how alt-right Youtube personalities are dumb/bad"

vvv This is another good way of putting it, and it's essentially also true for mainstream liberals. The only "difference" is that mainstream liberals define themselves in opposition to the Republican Party, christian fundamentalists, etc, while these "breadtube" types view themselves in opposition to people like the Youtube personality "Sargon of Akkad"

Reality Protester posted:

'left' exists in opposition to 'right'. that's it. that's the ideology.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

tbh if you describe yourself as an anarchist and get defensive about people calling anarchism poo poo because a lot of real lovely loving people with large audiences describe themselves that way maybe you should log off and feed some homeless people or something

how would anyone know you're not a baby vaush? getting defensive? that's not going to help.

do you also get defensive when people call the white left garbage?

maybe if a tendency is full of garbage people you you should learn coping skills like accepting the likelihood of people describing it as garbage and then engage them on the ideas you care about instead of going up to bat for "the ideology"

i won't even say "movement" since there is none

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

it doesn’t matter, if you suggest anything with more authority than a co-op weed farm you get yelled at for “recreating hierarchies”. mean while the warlord next door enslaves you because he “discovered” the value and force multiplier organization brings

I keen this seems to happen tti anarchists constantly, they get crushed by better organized armed forces and thr take away always seems to be that that's cheating. I often think back on a passage from China Meiville's October about the July Days, where one of of the anarchists dismisses the concern of the Bolsheviks by saying "the streets will organize the people", the streets did not in fact organize the people, and really that seems to be a recurring theme with anarchists

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Who is the middle person here?

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Shima Honnou posted:

aoc was vat-grown to always be a bad liberal, do not attempt to rationalize it as her being corrupted

i also believe pelosi was lying when she said she wanted uhc 30 years ago

politicians will say anything to get the job and then its mask off and oops cant do anything about all these 4-month-olds we're genociding

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

The Pussy Boss posted:

Man. From Bernie surrogate to ...this, in like two years. What a fall.
peep the date bruh

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Ytlaya posted:

Who is the middle person here?

https://twitter.com/Rccola747/status/1378222179691679744

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Phigs posted:

I think that if the people ever manage to get out from under the capitalist overclass their next task is going to be preventing the formation of another overclass in the form of "the party" or whatever else might form out of the new administration. If you call that anarchism or whatever I don't care. But the history of societal reform has been jumping from one frying pan into another and I think it's naive to believe that capitalism is definitely the last frying pan and that we're definitely not jumping into the fire either. Whether communist or anarchist or whatever, you should be concerned about making sure whatever future society we have does not just simply settle into another class nightmare along different lines.

I don't really care about people making GBS threads on anarchists, but I think anarchy is a very important part of leftist thought and shouldn't be dismissed because some people who call themselves anarchists are morons. The same way a scientist might react to people making GBS threads on something like chemistry because whether or not they are a chemist themselves they can still understand the importance of the study of chemistry to science as a whole.
the actually existing genocidal war machine next door murdered millions of soviets and anarchism would not solve that

china would be another imperial subject again by actually existing imperialist slavers if they were run by anarchists

hth

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

weird how aoc and trump were the only two people who realized that riling up the right was a ticket to political notoriety and it doesn’t actually matter what you do when you get there

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

is it passé to say that Biden is a warmongering austerity rapist?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
i knew an anarchist out of college who was basically a nice guy and last i checked hes out on some farm growing okra so in conclusion anarchists are okay so long as they arent running anything

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

biden is a raping genocidal concentration camper

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

spacetoaster posted:

What is a tankie, and why do people on other parts of this forum think CSPAM is whatever that is?
tankie is anyone who didnt vote for joe biden

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

paranoid randroid posted:

"oh what you want a new boat, rear end in a top hat? you want a new boat to float around on and be gay with your boyfriends on? fine have the fuckin zumwalt, its fuckin water soluble. idiots. gently caress you"

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

yeah let's not pretend the army isn't also dumb as hell

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

human garbage bag posted:

I think that once AOC turns 70 or 80 and has enough money saved up and not much to risk she will go back to being a true progressive.

Put yourself in her shoes; you have a golden opportunity to secure a great future for yourself and your family, all you have to do is stay the course and not rock the boat. The alternative is losing your seat after getting primaried/smeared, and then having to toil at a horrible job for 30-40 years before you can retire to live for maybe 10 more years while your body succumbs to decades of stress and lack of healthcare.

I would instead do parodies in minecraft using my incredible access

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

What does this mean, there are people there cheering this on like it means something

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

paranoid randroid posted:

i knew an anarchist out of college who was basically a nice guy and last i checked hes out on some farm growing okra so in conclusion anarchists are okay so long as they arent running anything

Sounds like that’s right where they want to be lol

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

spacetoaster posted:

Don't be too hard on people doing that. As hard as it is to believe :smuggo: I've been terminally dumb/naive about a lot of things that very angry people thought I should have had an in depth knowledge of somehow.

SA is about as "online" as I get, so I appreciate when people actually explain things even though others may think it's a given that people should already know.

I'll repeat the relevant passage:

"I did some online research on the Proud Boys tonight, and I'm really confused.

The Proud Boys were referred to as a white nationalist group in the original e-mail, but I see that the group is actually multi-ethnic, consisting of whites, blacks, asians, latinos in addition to an acceptance of gays. They claim to encourage diversity among their members.

They refer to themselves as a fraternity of self-confessed chauvinists who like to congregate, drink beer, and talk about the importance of right wing, pro-capitalist "Western superiority." They seem quite pathetic, but are we talking racists here?"

Ok, it's late 2017, and you've managed to not hear about the proud boys in a full year in which the various flavors of the alt-righ were all the news could talk about, but DID manage to hear about the DSA, which you joined, and at no point have you heard about the Proud Boys in the DSA, or in the intervening week after Charlottesville when TWP, Identity Evropa, RAM, Patriot Prayer, again, for how much attention the alt-right got from 2015-Aug 2017, Aug/Sept 2017 it was INESCAPABLE. Ok fine, you didn't.

You then did 'research' on the proud boys, somehow only learning positive things about them. This research couldn't have included asking anyone in DSA, couldn't have even involved Google, because you're not going to get a full page of positive results on the proudboys. Also, assume you did get nothing but positive results, maybe the fact that the club you joined and identify with enough to join a protest, of a group you NEVER heard of, (one of four members, btw, we were an elect group, most DSAers weren't getting out of bed for the drive) seems to think these guys are bad news, but you do no more digging than their own press releases? And again, even the little he was able to find is MORE than enough to drat them if you're a leftist.

See this is the trap of JAQ-ing. Everyone knows it's bullshit the minute they see it, but all it takes is one person to good-naturedly give them the benefit of the doubt and you've got to spend an hour hercule poirot-ing all the steps that most humans can intuit instantly. It's like asking how you knew someone was angry at you and having to refer to like anthopological data regarding frowns and raised voices.

E: I'll also add, if you step in it and say some stuff in ignorance that offends people you, a baseline normal, will probably, stop, apologize, and ask for an explanation of what you did to offend. This guy didn't, I didn't include it and no one would want it but he immediately went into a shirty defense that essentially boiled down to 'I'm not racist, because I claim to be ignorant and also stupid and even if that I'm telling the truth, I somehow believe that gives me a right to say whatever'. California is the first place I've ever been where people seem to think being ignorant is an excuse/defense, and it's not just a few people, it's universal. Like some sort of loophole invulnerability shield for ever taking responsibility.

PipHelix has issued a correction as of 23:44 on Apr 3, 2021

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Bush and Miyazawa at Tanagra

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Bootleg Trunks posted:

What does this mean, there are people there cheering this on like it means something

it's all word salad to me too

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

PipHelix posted:

I'll repeat the relevant passage:

"I did some online research on the Proud Boys tonight, and I'm really confused.

Ah, missed it.

I'm still not really clear on what the hell a tankie is.

PipHelix posted:

See this is the trap of JAQ-ing. Everyone knows it's bullshit the minute they see it, but all it takes is one person to good-naturedly give them the benefit of the doubt and you've got to spend an hour hercule poirot-ing all the steps that most humans can intuit instantly. It's like asking how you knew someone was angry at you and having to refer to like anthopological data regarding frowns and raised voices.

You're really assuming quite a lot about people's ability to intuit things. :colbert:

spacetoaster has issued a correction as of 23:43 on Apr 3, 2021

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

yellowcar posted:

it's all word salad to me too

i thought it was a joke about obtuse woke cinema discourse but the bio makes me not so sure

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

Ah, missed it.

it’s a communist, that’s it really

if you’re not a lib or an anarchist or a fascist, you’re a tankie

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Thump! posted:

it’s a communist, that’s it really

if you’re not a lib or an anarchist or a fascist, you’re a tankie

Does it have anything to do with military tanks, or is it a play on the phrase "in the tank for"?

Or did someone just make up a new thing and it stuck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

spacetoaster posted:

Ah, missed it.

You're really assuming quite a lot about people's ability to intuit things. :colbert:

tankies generally want to let a lot of people die to achieve whatever their idealistic political goal is. there's a connotation of the ends justifying the means by which you achieve your totally realistic communist utopia (when you're just gonna get an authoritarian hell state if you try to build it on a pile of skulls)

that is to say, cspam is fuckin' jammed packed with tankie edgelords who speak up more or less depending on the climate