Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
You can make a pretty good Lance set:

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Apr 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
Maybe this has been asked before and I missed it but is there a way to auto translate everyone? For some reason I get tons of Japanese players in hub and they keep spamming something and I'm never sure if it's capture or kill. I really wish there was an auto translate. Barring that, does someone know the characters for capture used in the game so I can look out for it?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

TaurusOxford posted:

You can make a pretty good Lance set:

post the set

Guilty posted:

Maybe this has been asked before and I missed it but is there a way to auto translate everyone? For some reason I get tons of Japanese players in hub and they keep spamming something and I'm never sure if it's capture or kill. I really wish there was an auto translate. Barring that, does someone know the characters for capture used in the game so I can look out for it?

Messages are auto translated by default, but if they set up custom messages then they obviously aren't.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
the rakna-kadaki set is basically entirely for spread-focused bowguns

the rakna-kadaki bowguns do not have spread ammo

I'm so upset about everything they did about this monster

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

MMF Freeway posted:

post the set

Edited the post with the armor used.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Tagichatn posted:

Sounds like you need to switch up your gunlance style.

Not a comment about mobility, but more about animations - GL animations are still really slow.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bleck posted:

the rakna-kadaki set is basically entirely for spread-focused bowguns

the rakna-kadaki bowguns do not have spread ammo

I'm so upset about everything they did about this monster

why? rakna is pretty awesome

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

MMF Freeway posted:

post the set

Messages are auto translated by default, but if they set up custom messages then they obviously aren't.

drat really? All my shortcut messages from Asian languages come untranslated

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Using Great Izuchi as a test dummy to learn the longsword counters and what I've grasped is that Foresight Slash is baby town and Iai Spirit Slash is actually what you want to counter with like 99% of the time

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

So I decided to try out some bowgun stuff while farming monsters for other parts. I checked the list and this time, almost every monster is weak to fire, so I made the only LBG that can rapidfire the Piercing Fire ammo. Holy poo poo, either the build is completely unusable or you need a TON of skills to make it work because I used up absolutely all of my ammo and it still took 30 minutes to kill Basarios. The handling on PF ammo is awful, the reload takes forever, and you have to stop to shoot, and it's only got two shots by default. The damage is like, okay I guess, but it's not that much more than Pierce 1 ammo which you can shoot way faster and have a way larger clip. And it's not even rapid fire!

I ended up watching a video of someone killing the final boss with HBG and they use Piercing Dragon ammo, but they charge the shots with it, so it's probably meant to be used like that. I'll have to look at the rest of the guns and try to see if any of them stand out to me and try again, but maybe not until I get access to more HR sets

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

In Training posted:

why? rakna is pretty awesome

it's far and away my favorite monster ever, but the set's skills are really disappointing and it really sucks that I'm only able to fight it like 70 hours into the game

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

So I tried the rise demo and it was ok. Graphical fidelity not great on a huge screen but probably fine handheld. How is the multi-player for the game? I didn't see any lobbies in the demo.

I remember mhw being a bit sparse for mp launch on the pc, but I mostly play these games for random multiplayer hunts

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Gameko posted:

So I tried the rise demo and it was ok. Graphical fidelity not great on a huge screen but probably fine handheld. How is the multi-player for the game? I didn't see any lobbies in the demo.

I remember mhw being a bit sparse for mp launch on the pc, but I mostly play these games for random multiplayer hunts

I’ve been playing with randos and it’s super fun. Really easy to find people

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I’ve been playing with randos and it’s super fun. Really easy to find people

Good to hear. I'm thinking the demo has its own mp lobby instance.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

the sns metsu shoryugeki is insane holy shiiiiit

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Flowers posted:

Khezu decided to give up.

https://twitter.com/ArtemisBurdo/status/1378466355859492864
https://twitter.com/ArtemisBurdo/status/1378466582607720450

In between those two the khezu vanished from existence and I was too stunned to take the video of it disappearing in time. It was just gone, did not count as dead, quest incomplete and there was no longer a khezu to actually kill to complete the quest.
Me and a friend got exactly the same bug: I think it has to do something with Khezu coming off the ceiling, because it happened to us right after that. We could still hit him and get damage numbers on him, but even then we were able to actually carve him up for parts. We went away and he dissapeared and we couldn't finish the quest, like you.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Khezu should disappear because he’s a disgusting freak

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Triarii posted:

To demonstrate:

https://i.imgur.com/Q4pdlNi.mp4

If you're using counter morph slash then you could guard point those attacks, but that will leave you in sword mode so you can't get back to ripping and tearing right away.

that preserves your savage axe mode despite getting the shield out? I wouldn't have expected that

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Blockhouse posted:

Using Great Izuchi as a test dummy to learn the longsword counters and what I've grasped is that Foresight Slash is baby town and Iai Spirit Slash is actually what you want to counter with like 99% of the time

at least with Quick Sheath 3, foresight slash really does seem a little outmoded, yeah

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional

Pablo Nergigante posted:

What did rubbery electric penis monsters ever do to you! Plus his music is fire

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

that preserves your savage axe mode despite getting the shield out? I wouldn't have expected that

Technically no - if you do nothing after the counter or whiff it entirely, you'll end up in sword mode with savage axe gone. It's just that you can press X after blocking a hit to immediately go into savage axe mode, whether you had it active or not.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
The anjanath gem is fake, doesn't exist, and hell I don't even want it anymore. You hear that game??

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Triarii posted:

Technically no - if you do nothing after the counter or whiff it entirely, you'll end up in sword mode with savage axe gone. It's just that you can press X after blocking a hit to immediately go into savage axe mode, whether you had it active or not.

poo poo, that's even better, I thought your options were AED, SAED or roll-out

Startin' to like charge blade again :shobon:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Pablo Nergigante posted:

How could you hate this smile?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

MMF Freeway posted:

The anjanath gem is fake, doesn't exist, and hell I don't even want it anymore. You hear that game??

This but the Almudron Golden Orb.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

MMF Freeway posted:

Lmfao it worked

Flowers
Mar 16, 2007

it's all fucking lewds

Tekopo posted:

Me and a friend got exactly the same bug: I think it has to do something with Khezu coming off the ceiling, because it happened to us right after that. We could still hit him and get damage numbers on him, but even then we were able to actually carve him up for parts. We went away and he dissapeared and we couldn't finish the quest, like you.
Yup, it dropped from the ceiling and went into that state. I'm glad I was just by myself doing it, feels like that would be even more frustrating with friends. Still funny though.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I agree, give back gigginox, still gross but also way better. :mad:

PsyClops
Jun 15, 2000

I'm still in LR village, having problems getting ahold of Nargacuga marrow. Give me your bone marrow you bat-cat-dragon motherfucker, I want those gloves!

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Rise is my first ever MH game and wow its a bit overwhelming. I have one dumb question, is there a bonus for having all your armor from a single set or anything like that? Just curious if I should stick to one, or clownsuit away.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

in rise there's a feature where you get extra elemental defenses for wearing matching armor pieces but other than that typically people build to stack up certain skills. it's usually not much of a concern until high rank, though, so don't sweat it way too much. make stuff that seems neat in the meanwhile. experiment. once you hit high rank all your old armor will be obsolete. weapons will scale with upgrades, though. just not armor.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Lakedaimon posted:

Rise is my first ever MH game and wow its a bit overwhelming. I have one dumb question, is there a bonus for having all your armor from a single set or anything like that? Just curious if I should stick to one, or clownsuit away.

There's a bonus to resistances for multiple pieces in a set, but those are nowhere near as important as the skill choices you want so go be the best clown you can be

(e) but yeah LR gear is instantly obsoleted before long so don't go ham too early (unless you don't mind the obsolescence of course)

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
ughhh I don't wanna clownsuit

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

And if you’re wondering what high rank is just keep playing. When you get there you’ll see that the armor menu at the blacksmith has two tabs, low and high.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Are the combo/move lists displayed in the training area complete?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

Don't then, do whatever you want. There's some complete sets that give you decent skills, then slap some gems on there

Wildtortilla posted:

Are the combo/move lists displayed in the training area complete?
No, they're just highlights

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

I haven't been mostly, theres a handful of pretty great sets tailor made for certain weapons.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

Most weapons have at least one complete set that just gives you a really nice set of skills for that weapon. If all else fails you can wear full Rathalos armor and be swimming in Attack Boost.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Honestly for learning weapons I really miss World's display of what buttons did what in the top right. It was really helpful! I get that maybe they got rid of it for screen real estate, but at least have something like that in the training area maybe?

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

yeah ive just been wearing all rathalos gear except for anjanath gloves. i slot in a slugger deco and a flinch free deco and everything else depends on the weapon and element. works alright for hammer and horn and my character looks ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Ciaphas posted:

at least with Quick Sheath 3, foresight slash really does seem a little outmoded, yeah

Foresight is still useful since you can't sheath cancel every move.