Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
Trios 19 15.32%
Christian vs Kaz 4 3.23%
Arcade Anarchy 96 77.42%
Tay and Shida vs Nyla and The Bunny 5 4.03%
Total: 124 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

MassRafTer posted:

Then why do you have to lie to yourself? It's fine to not like someone. Building up a false narrative in your mind about the work someone had to do is just silly.

i dont get it and i dont have the energy, have a good day mrt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I wish I loved anything as much as MassRafTer loves Cody Rhodes

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Oh Snapple! posted:

We have no problem calling WWE out when they pull the "look they'll be over no matter what so it's fine for them to eat dumb losses" card and it shouldn't be any harder to call it out when AEW does it.

If this was WWE Penta would be banished to 205 Live or Main Event after that loss, not in huge trios matches with them still pushing his new gimmick.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

shiksa posted:

i dont get it and i dont have the energy, have a good day mrt.

Cody left WWE and did a ton of work, working harder than basically any indie star to take all of the bookings and do all of the meet and greets, plus media stuff. When he started his career being the son of Dusty helped him get his foot in the door, but Dusty had burned off a lot of fan good will in the last 15 years and it was Cody, Dusty and Dustin who helped make the name legendary again.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Pylons posted:

If this was WWE Penta would be banished to 205 Live or Main Event after that loss, not in huge trios matches with them still pushing his new gimmick.
idk if you’ve looked at penta ever but he’s not going on 205 live

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

yeah cos he's not alive

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

MassRafTer posted:

Cody left WWE and did a ton of work, working harder than basically any indie star to take all of the bookings and do all of the meet and greets, plus media stuff. When he started his career being the son of Dusty helped him get his foot in the door, but Dusty had burned off a lot of fan good will in the last 15 years and it was Cody, Dusty and Dustin who helped make the name legendary again.

im very glad the 2nd generation wrestler with a famous name who had worked for the largest wrestling promotion in the world since he left high school was able to take advantage of all the opportunities everyone else is too dumb to do or whatever

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Oh Snapple! posted:

We have no problem calling WWE out when they pull the "look they'll be over no matter what so it's fine for them to eat dumb losses" card and it shouldn't be any harder to call it out when AEW does it.

When AEW does it, I'll call it out. It was not a dumb loss, it was a good and appropriate loss.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

jesus WEP posted:

Adam Cole is 6 feet tall.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I wish I loved anything as much as MassRafTer loves seeing himself post

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

jesus WEP posted:

He's a guy in a mask who flips. He's gonna lose the weight or he can go back to NXT.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Oh Snapple! posted:

Cody has been beaten like 3 times in AEW. Taking a loss to him isn't dumb

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
I don't think the loss to Cody is ideal but I also think Cody gave him a lot during the match and it didn't make Penta look too bad so while it didn't help him much it didn't hurt him much either, so it's kind of a wash?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Why did Cody dye his hair black that time

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

El Generico posted:

Cody is . . . kind of a wash

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Joke answer: he was dark Cody

Probably real answer: Wasn't he off filming that Heels show? He's probably got dark hair in it.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
cody just probably thought it looked cool

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

shiksa posted:

im very glad the 2nd generation wrestler with a famous name who had worked for the largest wrestling promotion in the world since he left high school was able to take advantage of all the opportunities everyone else is too dumb to do or whatever

When Cody came into the wrestling business Dusty was basically a joke who had lost a lot of fan good will and had spent the last three years bumbling around in TNA. The family name got him in the door. From there, as Dusty got away from TNA and fans started treating him like a legend again, his push in WWE stalled and he left.

To deny he worked hard to build his brand and become a star from there is to deny reality. Because there are tons of second generation wrestlers who leave WWE for one reason or another and don't mean a thing after. But he took dates, was willing to learn from people like the Bucks, networked and busted his rear end to go from an average WWE style wrestler to someone who when he's on has great, dramatic, dynamic matches. He's become a great promo, and to claim that Dustin is a bigger star is to deny reality. Because networks aren't asking Dustin's wife to do reality shows (right before AEW even started!) and putting him on every project TNT can throw at him.

The Dibiase name meant about as much as the Rhodes name in 2006 but look where Ted Jr went and look where Cody went.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Rarity posted:

Yeah and those were to someone else throwing in the towel to screw him, a weapon shot and a flash pin.

It's not like Cody was gonna lose to some guy in a TV match on a week build. Now, to hit post without checking cagematch to make sure this is accurate and there isn't a fourth loss I haven't thought of.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
If Cody is like 30 and 3 then all that tells me is that 30 people don't know their worth . . .

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Cody lost clean to Marko stunt on Dark Elevation last week

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Penta is the Naito of AEW in that everyone he hangs around with is cooler than him. Fenix, PAC, Laredo Kid, Alex, all much cooler than him.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Cody could have lost to Penta and it would have been fine for him, or they could do the finish they did and it was fine for Penta.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

I Before E posted:

Penta is the Naito of AEW in that everyone he hangs around with is cooler than him. Fenix, PAC, Laredo Kid, Alex, all much cooler than him.

Penta is apparently the Naito of AEW in that everybody freaks the gently caress out when he loses a match it was fine for him to lose.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

MJeff posted:

Penta is apparently the Naito of AEW in that everybody freaks the gently caress out when he loses a match it was fine for him to lose.

:ironicat:

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Rarity posted:

11 times and two draws.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

MJeff posted:

Yeah and those were to someone else throwing in the towel to screw him, a weapon shot and a flash pin.

It's not like Cody was gonna lose to some guy in a TV match on a week build. Now, to hit post without checking cagematch to make sure this is accurate and there isn't a fourth loss I haven't thought of.

lol

gonna rest my case with that.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

MJeff posted:

Brodie :ssh:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Yes, you understood the post, congratulations.

Oh Snapple! posted:

lol

gonna rest my case with that.

You're right, that's not okay. I'll rephrase.

It's not like Cody was gonna lose to some guy who in some way has dark themeing that is part of a faction with two words that starts with D in a TV match on a week build.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

I'm glad you consider me a bro but telling me to die is a bit harsh tbh.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

MJeff posted:

Yes, you understood the post, congratulations.

here's the thing though, even if it was fine for penta to lose that match its also fine for cody to lose every single match, because hes a dolt and should lose

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

jesus WEP posted:

A skeleton with clothing on is going to look big but he's mostly air

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I like Cody

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

MJeff posted:

Cody's the Naito of AEW in that people will do the craziest mental gymnastics to deny the obvious reality that he's both a good wrestler and super over.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

Cody's the Naito of AEW in that people will do the craziest mental gymnastics to deny the obvious reality that he's both a good wrestler and super over.

Cody is actually fun to watch though

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

the destino is somehow a better finisher than the crossrhodes

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

codyyyyyyyyyyy~

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Oh Snapple! posted:

I just want to say to this that you really can't compare aew and wwe like this, because in aew's short history they've at least shown that they can be trusted to do a lot of things that you can't expect from the wwe. like, things like 'a primarily tag competitor is portrayed as strong as a primarily singles competitor' and 'a person can give a promo in their main, non-English language without it being a joke.'

things like 'someone having a loss but looking strong despite it' and 'a dynamic between two characters being brought up again significantly after the fact without being constantly brought up' are REAL BASIC storytelling tools that aew can be trusted to use, since they have shown they can follow up on that trust. wwe can't be trusted on those points because they go against them almost every chance they get. it's simple.

past that I think a lot of y'all really need to start posting earnestly about the show again because it really sucks to read when people make up things to get mad at

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.
Tony Khan and Tony Schiavone were in the closet making babies and I saw one of the babies and the baby looked at me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

he wanted to show off a new killer Cody, and well