Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

I love dying to a pred squad every single platinum game. Best game ever!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunder
May 22, 2003

The poo poo-tastic matchmaking is the reason why I’ve barely played this season. It’s especially bad in unranked.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

MarshyMcFly posted:

I love dying to a pred squad every single platinum game. Best game ever!

You could just kill them

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Fat Lou posted:

You could just kill them

I down one on a squad and feel super good about myself, then the rest of the squad apes me.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

kaffo posted:

My friends hate it when I play Mirage because of this. All they do is bitch about the clones, thinking they are about to get jumped on by a solo.
Might be because I only play him infrequently, so they don't have time to get used to it, but it's pretty funny how upset they get from some ghostly footsteps

Not that Mirage in particular is a problem for me, but I've lost track of the number of times I've heard footsteps, pivoted and shot my allies a few bullets.

I feel its a good instinct but I wish this game made it a little more obvious. Most of the time their name doesn't even show up.

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Apr 4, 2021

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/TitanfallBlog/status/1378479745638223872

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I am the weird goon who has only ever really played Legacy of Kain, Overwatch, and Apex Legends (the last two because my niece and friend got me into them). What exciting poo poo in Titanfall crosses into Apex?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Cowslips Warren posted:

I am the weird goon who has only ever really played Legacy of Kain, Overwatch, and Apex Legends (the last two because my niece and friend got me into them). What exciting poo poo in Titanfall crosses into Apex?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNe8TCnXyNc

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I really want to get into this game but I’m pretty irritated (still) that there isn’t any cross progression.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Cowslips Warren posted:

the singleplayer campaign of titanfall 2 is absolutely worth the two sticks of gum and some pocket lint price point it's usually at, particularly for an apex fan. the movement in apex is a extremely highly simplified and depowered system from TF2.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

Titanfall 2 has the best single player FPS campaign of the last decade.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

That quote is really vague about whether it means gameplay stuff or lore stuff or something else. Gameplay-wise, I don’t know what they’d bring back. The two biggest elements of Titanfall that are missing in Apex (Titans and wall running) were taken out during dev for good reasons. It could be referring to that rumored deathmatch mode? Lore-wise it could all kinds of stuff. Like, say...

...bringing back more characters (Cooper, BT, Briggs, Spyglass, etc).

...figuring out what happened at the end of the war, and why the Frontier Militia and certain portions of the IMC sorta just disappeared. Bangalore and her knife could be a jumping off point for this.

...tensions from the recent Salvonian unification boiling over into a new war. Might not be IMC v Militia this time but an ongoing war would make things more Titanfall-ish.

Or something else I don’t have any wild theories about. Guess we’ll find out in about a month!

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

praying for smart pistol

Carillon
May 9, 2014

An L-Star that doesn't suck.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I'm going to be the guy who says he didn't like the giant robots in the giant robot game.

The guns and mobility were amazing when I tried TF|2 but the titans just felt entirely cooldown based, even reloading your big guns felt like a cooldown and almost all matches just turned into 6 titans stomping the team that didn't get their 6 titans first.

Could just be inexperience talking from just a few weeks of playing the multiplayer late into the game's life.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Apr 4, 2021

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Queer Salutations posted:

Titanfall 2 has the best single player FPS campaignof the last decade.

FTFY, but yeah the story was drat cool.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I'm going to be the guy who says he didn't like the giant robots in the giant robot game.

The guns and mobility were amazing when I tried TF|2 but the titans just felt entirely cooldown based, even reloading your big guns felt like a cooldown and almost all matches just turned into 6 titans stomping the team that didn't get their 6 titans first.

Could just be inexperience talking from just a few weeks of playing the multiplayer late into the game's life.

It just has a very high skill ceiling. Thing is, it almost only pros left because people get stomped without any chance of learning the game. It feels like not doing much when there are cooldowns of abilities but as a matter of fact it's all about synergy and picking a right titan for situation. A good titan pilot can take whole enemy team with him and then some. I will forever cherish the two times I literally kicked over a dumpster fire of a certain loss with my scorch, killing whole enemy titan group alone.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
The titans of titanfall 2 are most definitely slower paced. You need to play cover and juggle cooldowns appropriately to keep your titan alive, even moreso in 2 because of the titan shield mechanic changes, and your mobility is drastically reduced.

I also greatly prefer the style of pilots, but the titans are definitely so powerful you're hurting the team by piloting it.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Same, titans were why I avoided this series until apex legends.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

runchild posted:

That quote is really vague about whether it means gameplay stuff or lore stuff or something else. Gameplay-wise, I don’t know what they’d bring back. The two biggest elements of Titanfall that are missing in Apex (Titans and wall running) were taken out during dev for good reasons. It could be referring to that rumored deathmatch mode? Lore-wise it could all kinds of stuff. Like, say...

There was that leak from a week ago that said the next character was Blisk and his abilities involved wall running and calling down a Titan to do AoE damage. So it could be confirmation of that since it didn't end up being an april fools joke as far as I know.

Yellow Yoshi
Apr 29, 2020

Figure 1: Mario's weird dog

Queer Salutations posted:

There was that leak from a week ago that said the next character was Blisk and his abilities involved wall running and calling down a Titan to do AoE damage. So it could be confirmation of that since it didn't end up being an april fools joke as far as I know.

reddit superstition and nothing more
if they ever add titans or wall running i'll eat my headphones

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

wall running sounds cool, but what percent of the area of these maps have arenas where you could you use it effectively ? seems like it would be a very situational passive

J
Jun 10, 2001

Octane can already wall run :colbert:

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Carillon posted:

An L-Star that doesn't suck.

:thunkher:

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

J posted:

Octane can already wall run :colbert:

didn’t they fix that

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

This! Even when my friends started playing titanfall2 again when it was free they quickly rage quitted if the other team got their Titans up first.

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Maybe they'll add NPC combatants, or streakers!

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Hard disagree for me. Titan and pilot gameplay layers in TF|2 are very well done. A decent pilot can absolutely wreck a titan, and you can deck your pilot out in anti titan gear to make it even easier. Cloak and satchels go a long way. Two satchels and a rodeo will take most titans to 1/4 health and light titans to exposed reactor core.

A lot of the anti titan weapons are ez mode as well. One lock on missile, two spray and pray in the general direction of, and only one requires precision (charge rifle).

Titan vs titan gameplay is also really fun and there’s good variety in the different titans.

Almost every weapon, ability, or gameplay mechanic in apex is inspired by or directly descended from TF|2. Which is a very good thing.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I guess nobody else liked those weird little single player missions because they just dropped that concept entirely

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Well comparatively, I still like the L-Star in Apex, but it feels so much better in Titanfall 2. Maybe its just a TTK issue.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

I think the Titan/Pilot interaction was very well balanced, but for the people who were that put off by Titans there’s always the Pilots vs. Pilots game mode.

Simone Magus posted:

I guess nobody else liked those weird little single player missions because they just dropped that concept entirely

Are you talking about the Hunts from season 5? I think the WFH transitition is the main reason those didn’t continue. By the time they had everything figured out the comic precedent had been established, and I bet that’s easier to produce anyways.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Simone Magus posted:

I liked them. I also liked that it would bug out and make you champion squad every time you played a real round after running through one of them.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
The last few times I played Titanfall I would only call my titan in to try and crush an enemy one, and would leave it on auto while rodeo...ing all the enemy titans.
Not the most effective way of playing, but it was really fun.

The Halloween mode showed that Apex wasn't built around wall running, and if they for whatever reasonthey decide to put it in the game, only giving it to one character would be horribly broken.
Maybe it'll be in a special arena like the boxing.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

LOGIC AND COMMON SENSE? YOU AIN'T GET THAT FROM ME!

Carillon posted:

Well comparatively, I still like the L-Star in Apex, but it feels so much better in Titanfall 2. Maybe its just a TTK issue.
IDK what it's like in TF but in Apex I can't see poo poo when I start firing it due to the flash, which makes it more difficult than it should be at anything other than hipfire distance. It's a decent gun to get in a hot drop situation but beyond that I can't really justify using it over the course of a match.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
Y'all brains are really really broken if you played tf2 and didn't like the titans. Like a seriously, painfully dumb opinion to have.

Prepare for Titanfall

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Skyarb posted:

Y'all brains are really really broken if you played tf2 and didn't like the titans. Like a seriously, painfully dumb opinion to have.

Prepare for Titanfall

i can really only comment on it having gone from apex -> tf2 but playing with the robots was like playing constantly stuck in rampart's gun. powerful sure but the game is about movement and none of the titan abilities are a fraction as broken as or anywhere in the same loving zip code as fun as wall jumps imo.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

CoolCab posted:

i can really only comment on it having gone from apex -> tf2 but playing with the robots was like playing constantly stuck in rampart's gun. powerful sure but the game is about movement and none of the titan abilities are a fraction as broken as or anywhere in the same loving zip code as fun as wall jumps imo.

Repugnant

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

titans suck, pilot movement good, maps good, guns good

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Sorry can't hear you over turning things into pink mist with my giant weeb robot sword.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I think Titans are good as they change the way you interact with the map: from a run and gun shooter to a methodical shooter. It's cool game design. They don't belong in Apex though.

I think Titanfall's biggest problem is that the skill ceiling is extremely high. Apex accounted for this by removing wall running and giving everyone a team. So if you suck, sometimes someone will carry you to a win.

But yeah it's an indictment on humanity that TF is not more popular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
It probably would have done a lot better if it wasnt released basically simultaneously with Battlefield 1 and that years CoD