Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Alchenar posted:

Why would you have De Lancie deliver his line menacingly

Cojawfee posted:

Picard turning into an android is exactly the kind of thing that Q would come back for interpret as cheating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Alchenar posted:

Why would you have De Lancie deliver his line menacingly like that that's not Q at all?

Because he's Q. He's an rear end in a top hat. Even when he's on your side... he's an rear end in a top hat. loving with Picard is the only thing that brings him joy anymore, as seen in DS9, Voyager, and Lower Decks.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

Because he's Q. He's an rear end in a top hat. Even when he's on your side... he's an rear end in a top hat. loving with Picard is the only thing that brings him joy anymore, as seen in DS9, Voyager, and Lower Decks.

I wonder if Picard will quote Shakespeare and offer him some wine

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

Any links to a VOD of it? Stewart and de Lancie are always a blast to watch together in any capacity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B20sCtCSPFc

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Sisko beating the poo poo out of Q while Picard stands there and laughs.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

nine-gear crow posted:

Any links to a VOD of it? Stewart and de Lancie are always a blast to watch together in any capacity.

Not sure if it's been posted or not I'll hunt around for it. We were streaming the first contact day activities. Looking forward to learning more about prodigy later

E;FB thanks goon

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Apr 5, 2021

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

No, no he's not. Q is mischievous but almost everything he does is to help in some way. He's a foil to Picard, but he's a foil to Picard's stuffy overconfidence, whether it be getting him to admit he can't handle the Borg, or should admit his romantic feelings for Vash, or appreciate how his past made him the man he is.

The ending of All Good Things sums it up:
"Thanks Q"
"For what?"
"You had a hand in getting me out of this"
"I got you into it... the helping hand though, that was my idea"

Q is not a malign being.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think it would be neat to have a showdown between Q and prophet Sisko. If only to have something that shows he's still part of Jake's life or something. I know that the aspect that Sisko was leaving jake really pissed of Avery Brooks.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Thank you kindly!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
DONT MAKE ME HOPE AGAIN YOU BASTARDS

I really hope it's good

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

I think it would be neat to have a showdown between Q and prophet Sisko. If only to have something that shows he's still part of Jake's life or something. I know that the aspect that Sisko was leaving jake really pissed of Avery Brooks.

I know they'd pick a reason out of a hat to handwave it away, but I can believe Q would age himself to match Picard as part of his sense of humor, though I can't think of how they'd explain Sisko getting old, especially after multiple seasons of "the Prophets operate outside of linear time"

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I know they'd pick a reason out of a hat to handwave it away, but I can believe Q would age himself to match Picard as part of his sense of humor, though I can't think of how they'd explain Sisko getting old, especially after multiple seasons of "the Prophets operate outside of linear time"

1. He's only half prophet

2. He went back Cap style to live with Jake then will resume prohpeting when his great grand children are dead and no time will be lost

3. I ain't got to explain poo poo

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Snow Cone Capone posted:

For Q’s sake, in the interview someone posted above, he said, “I’ve updated my visage...I’ve aged, to match the times.”

For Sisko...is Brooks still acting? I haven’t seen him in anything in forever. I’ve heard rumors running from health issues to being blacklisted, but nothing from the man himself that I’m aware of.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/StarTrek/status/1379175212927778823?s=20

They changed the uniforms again!

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Wait, Q is in Lower Decks? Should I watch Lower Decks?

Disclaimer: I’m not a huge Trekkie and I’ve never seen DS9 and only seen a handful of Voyager but I’ve seen probably 75% of TNG and I love me some Q

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

OldSenileGuy posted:

Wait, Q is in Lower Decks? Should I watch Lower Decks?

Couple small cameos in just one episode.

But also yes, you should. It’s surprisingly good!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I think those new uniforms rock

Could it just be these are duty unis and the others were dress?

Again, looks good but I wish it wasn't EXISTENTIAL THREAT MODE again

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

For Q’s sake, in the interview someone posted above, he said, “I’ve updated my visage...I’ve aged, to match the times.”

For Sisko...is Brooks still acting? I haven’t seen him in anything in forever. I’ve heard rumors running from health issues to being blacklisted, but nothing from the man himself that I’m aware of.

AFAIK he's just happy being a drama professor somewhere in NJ, I don't think there's anything negative behind it

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/TrekCore/status/1379175954774298624?s=20

Wait, Detmer is helmsman, why is she wearing yellow

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

New uniforms are sweet but loving christ they have the perfect setup why does there need to be a 4-light-year-wide gravitational anomaly threatening the galaxy AGAIN

e: the new unis look very velour which I love

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Hahaha, DeLancie bringing up the Picard Facepalm out of nowhere.

:ughh:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

when another poster mentions there's a DS9 easter egg in the Picard teaser:

https://twitter.com/nikodals/status/1379170922192629771?s=20

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Another loving galaxy wide disaster? gently caress that.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Place your bets on who just got killed off

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

xerxus posted:

changed the uniforms again!

I wasn't sure about them before, but I think I love them now. Especially the command red and medical white. It's wild what a difference it makes simply turning the grey to black and reversing the pattern, but of course that's not far off from how the Pike's Enterprise uniforms improved on the original Discovery design, so I shouldn't be surprised.

There's a new character in that trailer who looks Denobulan, or maybe half-Cardassian, but probably the former. I hope she does the pufferfish trick.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

thrawn527 posted:

I'd enjoy it if when Q first appears, they do a CGI so that he looks completely unchanged from the TNG days, but then he looks at Picard and says "Oh, how thoughtless of me" and snaps his fingers and boom, he's present-day aged John de Lancie.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Cross-Section posted:

https://twitter.com/TrekCore/status/1379175954774298624?s=20

Wait, Detmer is helmsman, why is she wearing yellow

She’s actually always been in Ops colors. She wore bronze in S1-3 and when the crew put on 31st-century uniforms at the end of 3 she was in yellow.

I don’t think there’s been a lot of consistency in helmsmen’s divisions. Sulu, Mayweather and Paris were all command, and they’re the most recognizable helmsmen from pre-Discovery, but the Defiant was helmed by basically whoever was available (Memory Alpha says Nog and Jadzia) and the Enterprise-D’s rotating cast of nameless pilots weren’t particularly consistent.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

blastron posted:

She’s actually always been in Ops colors. She wore bronze in S1-3 and when the crew put on 31st-century uniforms at the end of 3 she was in yellow.

Oh! I totally didn't notice that. Maybe because the bronze and gold uniforms from back then were a bit harder to differentiate from each other than the silver ones were, idk

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Cross-Section posted:

Tig, except it happens off camera and she doesn't actually get any scenes to film this season.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Alchenar posted:

Tig, except it happens off camera and she doesn't actually get any scenes to film this season.

They'd never kill off Tig, she lives in Toronto

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Once again they’ve improved the existing uniforms just by *checks notes* dyeing them in bright colors instead of the same nearly-monochrome color scheme.

Also that’s 100% Saru wearing a normal Starfleet command uniform in the hand-holding shot, so he’ll probably go from ambassador at the beginning to active duty sometime during the season.

Can’t believe they already have a trailer for S4, but I guess principal for S3 did end almost a year ago and had to put up with a covid delay for post.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Cross-Section posted:

Gray. (Turns out hallucinations of former hosts can somehow be killed by falling debris. Who knew?)

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Cojawfee posted:

Another loving galaxy wide disaster? gently caress that.

As one of the folks in here who actually love discovery, I'll just chime in with agreed here. There doesn't need to be a new galaxy spanning threat every season. Sheesh. There is plenty of great material they could be mining in just what they've set up in the future so far without having to do this again.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/StarTrek/status/1379183230310490113?s=20

Frakes' voice seems a bit off to me.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

King Burgundy posted:

As one of the folks in here who actually love discovery, I'll just chime in with agreed here. There doesn't need to be a new galaxy spanning threat every season. Sheesh. There is plenty of great material they could be mining in just what they've set up in the future so far without having to do this again.

I'm gonna laugh if it all turns out to be a red herring and they solve the gravitational anomaly whatsit in like 2-3 episodes

only to reveal that the anomaly was but a symptom of a even greater threat to the Federation

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Also that’s 100% Saru wearing a normal Starfleet command uniform in the hand-holding shot, so he’ll probably go from ambassador at the beginning to active duty sometime during the season.

I hope he gets his own ship. It would be kinda bad if he somehow ends up going from captain to ambassador back to commander again, or a weird "Scotty, captain of engineering" situation. But something like the Enterprise/Columbia tag team stuff from ENT Season 4 would be fun.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

https://twitter.com/TheKateMulgrew/status/1379186115563913217

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i wonder what space baby caused the anomaly this time

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Powered Descent posted:

I'd enjoy it if when Q first appears, they do a CGI so that he looks completely unchanged from the TNG days, but then he looks at Picard and says "Oh, how thoughtless of me" and snaps his fingers and boom, he's present-day aged John de Lancie.

Perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Oh yeah baby give me some of that lovely old Miranda-class love

I'm wonder if they're going the hologram route and Kathy's actually a helpful ECH?