Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Absolute trash list

I fixed it:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Notable bad weapon SnS, the thing every speedrunner is using

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Who do I need to suck off to get one (1) wyvern gem?!

Also from many pages ago but someone mentioned using Kamura points to get items and then selling those items to net Zeni. Don't! Hold on to your Kamura points and do this instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQfdFSsQJWk

HR items are so expensive!

seconding this it’s easy as heck and the money is real and good.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional

Blockhouse posted:

Notable bad weapon SnS, the thing every speedrunner is using

SnS is just a support weapon to throw powders around so the Real DPS can face tank Rajang beams and triple cart.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Ethiser posted:

Honestly Attack Up (L) is probably a better support than those three combined. Killing the monster like 20% faster is way more useful than healing. Those songs just ensure that eventually you’ll win, not that you’ll be quick about it.

Attack Up (L) is only a better buff if you're teaming up with three people that you know can pull their weight. For SOS pubbies, I take no chances.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Hogama posted:

how will you know if you're top tier if you're not using the best weapons

What the gently caress is this Lance slander going on here?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Idk why everyone is talking like you need wide range as though there aren't already items that heal everyone in the room without it. Play a little mp and give some likes out and the mail cat will just give you a huge stack of them.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

8-bit Miniboss posted:

If it helps at all, the site it's from seems to be grading them more on ease of use for new players to get high output.
But also lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I also like tossing some demon and armor powder out if a monster zones, it only takes two seconds and my weapon is sheathed anyway

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Which quests do I need to do to unlock more Argosy subs?

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
The trader will ask you to deliver some account items. Not sure if there's specific hunts to trigger that or if it's just general raising HR.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Lance is a bad weapon because it trivializes 90% of the fights. Way too effective to be good.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Ethiser posted:

Honestly Attack Up (L) is probably a better support than those three combined. Killing the monster like 20% faster is way more useful than healing. Those songs just ensure that eventually you’ll win, not that you’ll be quick about it.

Worth noting is that the Bead of Resonance switch skill apparently plays the Attack Up song whenever you do a performance, even if your horn doesn't have Attack Up.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Aranan posted:

Worth noting is that the Bead of Resonance switch skill apparently plays the Attack Up song whenever you do a performance, even if your horn doesn't have Attack Up.

Yup. That's the big advantage it has over Earthshaker (along with doubling up health restore songs).

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Aranan posted:

Yep, I use this combo when doing Pub Magnamalos or any other fight randoms tend to cart like crazy on.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Aranan posted:

I complained a few days ago that the game didn't tell you this, and someone responded that it is actually right in the switch skill menu where you can change it.

I'm not going back to find that post to reply to it, but please know that that person was right and I was wrong and bad at reading, apparently.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Thank you.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
The only tier list I care about is what weapons are the most popular, then I stay away from those weapons because I like a bit of diversity. Right now I’m seeing tons of long swords as usual, but also a TON of light bowguns. Everything else seems pretty even, except I very rarely see Lance, heavy bowgun, or insect glaive.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I’m curious what that weapon popularities are in Japan because I see a ton of LBGs and Bows from those players.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

PringleCreamEgg posted:

The only tier list I care about is what weapons are the most popular, then I stay away from those weapons because I like a bit of diversity. Right now I’m seeing tons of long swords as usual, but also a TON of light bowguns. Everything else seems pretty even, except I very rarely see Lance, heavy bowgun, or insect glaive.

Lance was rare to see in World, too. It's not a very flashy weapon and its mechanics (especially movement) are awkward at first, so yeah, not much use despite being rather easy to use very well. When I see a Lance requesting help, I'll SOS them immediately and we'll poke the thing to death :allears:.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

TaurusOxford posted:

Attack Up (L) is only a better buff if you're teaming up with three people that you know can pull their weight. For SOS pubbies, I take no chances.

Also at least in terms of Rise, Attack Up (L) isn't a thing.

I really only bring out the Babysitter Horn if someone else is already running Attack/Affinity Up too, but boy it's pretty loving nutty.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I play a ton of insect glaive but I rarely take it online because I feel like I'm not good enough with it to do it justice and I'm just going to look like a stupid spinning fool. I get bugstick anxiety apparently, like no matter how well I play, I'm gonna get smacked out of the air at some point and everyone will go "hah look at that dumbass, shoulda stayed on the ground"

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Right now I’m seeing tons of long swords as usual, but also a TON of light bowguns.

I mean can you blame them? Look what they get to use:

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Kyrosiris posted:

Also at least in terms of Rise, Attack Up (L) isn't a thing.

I really only bring out the Babysitter Horn if someone else is already running Attack/Affinity Up too, but boy it's pretty loving nutty.

Also someone tested it, the combined attack and defense up song is the full version of both buffs, so the mango horn is actually extremely solid and will probably be the one I make because there is absolutely zero loving chance I kill that many nargacugas for 2 marrow just for one slightly better weapon.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Also someone tested it, the combined attack and defense up song is the full version of both buffs, so the mango horn is actually extremely solid and will probably be the one I make because there is absolutely zero loving chance I kill that many nargacugas for 2 marrow just for one slightly better weapon.

The Rampage horn also has Attack/Affinity Up in one of the alternate song lists. :)

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
LBG is great for survivability on a bunch of fights, like it kind of trivializes a lot of Magnamalo’s attacks (just keep walking left). And it’s great for breaking parts other weapons might have trouble with. I also like loading up status ammo and helping the team with big openings.

But real answer? It is insanely satisfying to wirebug leap over a downed monster’s head, shoot a mine onto it, and then watch as all the attacks on it from teammates just explode for a little while. Also pretty great to leap over a charge to do that.

Have trouble deciding between it and Hunting Horn, and I still need to try out Insect Glaive in Rise. I’d spend all my time in the air in World just because that was more fun. Will be nice to see that they upped the damage for doing that now.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

HPanda posted:

Have trouble deciding between it and Hunting Horn, and I still need to try out Insect Glaive in Rise. I’d spend all my time in the air in World just because that was more fun. Will be nice to see that they upped the damage for doing that now.

Yeah, aerial damage is surprisingly good for insect glaive in Rise, especially once you unlock Diving Wyvern. There's also a damage multiplier that gives you bonus aerial damage the longer you stay in the air, and building up the full bonus before doing a Diving Wyvern is textbook :hellyeah:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I realized last night that I had been misunderstanding the swaxe condensed element finisher or whatever it is called (the spin rather than ZSD) switch skill, largely from not paying enough attention to its description. I was treating it like ZSD and waiting to get amped state first, but that doesn't actually matter, nor does the amount of phial juice remaining since it blows it all anyway. It does appear to give a big chunk of charge for axe mode if you land it, though. I need to play around with it more and see if it is a static amount or scales with phial juice remaining when you do it. It seems like a skill tailored for people who want to largely use axe mode since I think on the whole its damage is probably a bit worse than ZSD and it's not really much safer. It seems probably also best paired with invincible gambit rather than the dive, since you won't have anything left to make use of the dive after. Downside is if you whiff it or miscalculate how much you'd get, then there goes all the gauge you'd been building.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Fun fact: getting 2 points in muck resistance makes you immune to the damage of almudron’s toxic pools as well as the slow. I can’t think of a bigger impact two small slot decos can make for that fight.

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

chumbler posted:

I realized last night that I had been misunderstanding the swaxe condensed element finisher or whatever it is called (the spin rather than ZSD) switch skill, largely from not paying enough attention to its description. I was treating it like ZSD and waiting to get amped state first, but that doesn't actually matter, nor does the amount of phial juice remaining since it blows it all anyway. It does appear to give a big chunk of charge for axe mode if you land it, though. I need to play around with it more and see if it is a static amount or scales with phial juice remaining when you do it. It seems like a skill tailored for people who want to largely use axe mode since I think on the whole its damage is probably a bit worse than ZSD and it's not really much safer. It seems probably also best paired with invincible gambit rather than the dive, since you won't have anything left to make use of the dive after. Downside is if you whiff it or miscalculate how much you'd get, then there goes all the gauge you'd been building.

Doing a full ZSD and using the dive bomb to cancel out of the knockback is already the coolest thing you can do, and you have to give it up to use condensed finisher. It would have to be really drat good.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Using horn, do I want to be using Melodic Trio as much as possible for damage, or are there better combos?

Also has anyone ever actually hit anything with the X silkbind because I sure as hell haven't :mad:

(e) Also also, where're the iframes in the zR attack, I thought it'd be while the hunter's breakdancin' but that doesn't seem quite right

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Fun fact: getting 2 points in muck resistance makes you immune to the damage of almudron’s toxic pools as well as the slow. I can’t think of a bigger impact two small slot decos can make for that fight.

The "Vaal Hazak Memorial Fight Trivialized by Three Gems."

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

chumbler posted:

It gives you a lot of phial charge at the cost of switch gauge. If you do a few sword hits, then compressed discharge, then switch charger you'll end up topped off and ready to go ham in sword mode.

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

Kobogartimer posted:

Doing a full ZSD and using the dive bomb to cancel out of the knockback is already the coolest thing you can do, and you have to give it up to use condensed finisher. It would have to be really drat good.

I don’t know how to get this to work, every time I try to zL + X out of a ZSD while I’m flying back through the air it doesn’t do anything and I have to wait to get back up. What am I missing with ZSD plus dive bomb?

JackGeneric
Apr 23, 2008

[Witty observation]
For Insect Glaive, is there a way to remove the kinsect marker other than sheathing? Having a speed-type kinsect locked onto a marked body part is great right up until you need to get your triple buff back.

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

Gaukler posted:

I don’t know how to get this to work, every time I try to zL + X out of a ZSD while I’m flying back through the air it doesn’t do anything and I have to wait to get back up. What am I missing with ZSD plus dive bomb?

It doesn't work if you try spam it out, you have to wait until after the apex of the knockback or so.
e: wait that's not even true, I just did it immediately after the explosion. I'm not sure other than there is a way to do it wrong.

v: I could consistently do the really early one by holding zl and left stick towards while spamming the x button for the ZSD.

Kobogartimer fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Apr 6, 2021

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

Kobogartimer posted:

It doesn't work if you try spam it out, you have to wait until after the apex of the knockback or so.
e: wait that's not even true, I just did it immediately after the explosion. I'm not sure other than there is a way to do it wrong.

Time to spend some time in the training room, I guess

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
Does anyone have any input on the 8bitdo controllers? The pro 2 is about to come out, was thinking of grabbing one since my wireless gamecube remote is starting to get major drift issues.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08XY86472/?coliid=I18CBK45CJXFUB&colid=1ZQUP9A8RSI38&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Harrow posted:

I play a ton of insect glaive but I rarely take it online because I feel like I'm not good enough with it to do it justice and I'm just going to look like a stupid spinning fool. I get bugstick anxiety apparently, like no matter how well I play, I'm gonna get smacked out of the air at some point and everyone will go "hah look at that dumbass, shoulda stayed on the ground"

Unless you're carting or tripping me all the time I will go through entire hunts not even realizing what other people are using because I'm so focused on what I'm doing (aw poo poo I should have let the great sword player break sleep!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Veritas posted:

Does anyone have any input on the 8bitdo controllers? The pro 2 is about to come out, was thinking of grabbing one since my wireless gamecube remote is starting to get major drift issues.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08XY86472/?coliid=I18CBK45CJXFUB&colid=1ZQUP9A8RSI38&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

I'm using the first gen version, the d pad is way better than the switch pro controller and I prefer the symmetrical sticks. It doesn't do NFC so you can't scan amiibo and it's 3rd party so it can't wake the switch from sleep but overall I prefer it over the switch pro.