Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Coffee Jones posted:

Do we see many leaked PC protos the same way we’re seeing consoles?
I can think of a few:

- The 2003 Half-Life 2 protos that were heisted from Valve's dev network, along with a load of source code and loose assets
- Warcraft Adventures had a sorta rough proto that was quietly circulating on the Russian-speaking internet throughout the 2000s, then like five years ago both that build and an almost-final one got posted publicly outta nowhere
- A proto/tech demo of Black Isle's version of Fallout 3 got posted online in 2007, then a few years later I think one of the devs ended up sharing the full design doc for the whole game
- Some kind of Dead Island 2 leak happened last year
- There are a lot of early builds of the original Doom out there but those might have been released officially maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Pretty good posted:

I can think of a few:

- The 2003 Half-Life 2 protos that were heisted from Valve's dev network, along with a load of source code and loose assets
- Warcraft Adventures had a sorta rough proto that was quietly circulating on the Russian-speaking internet throughout the 2000s, then like five years ago both that build and an almost-final one got posted publicly outta nowhere
- A proto/tech demo of Black Isle's version of Fallout 3 got posted online in 2007, then a few years later I think one of the devs ended up sharing the full design doc for the whole game
- Some kind of Dead Island 2 leak happened last year
- There are a lot of early builds of the original Doom out there but those might have been released officially maybe?

Also the early version of Doom 3 that had the Trent Reznor sound design is out there. I believe there are a couple early builds of Starcraft and Diablo bouncing around as well.

Surprisingly there isn’t a ton of PC stuff out there. I think there is a mixture of those that have said things don’t think there is a demand or interest and availability since much of it is likely lost forever at this point.

Hell most developers have no idea there is an interest in console or arcade prototypes. I have sadly talked to far too many people who just threw away incredible stuff over the years because they thought it had no value.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh
The original Unreal has prototypes from almost 3 years before release available. The earliest ones are more like engine tests at that point with only some graphical similarity to the finished game, but the later protos are closer to the final game but with cut levels and other differences.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Pretty good posted:

IIRC they were leaked during development after being given to testers and the press, but a year or so after the game launched Id gave some form of legal approval to their open circulation.

Djarum posted:

Also the early version of Doom 3 that had the Trent Reznor sound design is out there. I believe there are a couple early builds of Starcraft and Diablo bouncing around as well.
This was the demo build made for E3 2002. I wanna say the blame for its leaking was laid at the feet of ATI...

For more PC prototype goodness: The free Steam release of Shadow Warrior contains a rights-holder-approved swarm of prototype builds rescued from old backups of developer hard drives, dating back to four years before the game's release. It, uh, changed a LOT during that time.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Coffee Jones posted:

Levels load quickly, but does the Dreamcast usually buzz like that?
Someone didn't own a Dreamcast, I see. Disc spinning and laser seeking were really loud.

I believe it's real, but I instictively doubt the game it because the presentation resembles the common youtube format of: "Look at this real console and my hands on a real controller as I play Metal Gear Solid 4 on an Xbox".

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Coffee Jones posted:

In general every Dreamcast, unless equipped with a GDEMU and the noctua fan mod, sounds like a bucket of silverware falling down a flight of stairs while it’s actually in operation.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Very cool Castlevania DC prototype. Very uncool that it's in that horrible 3D era of CV (that arguable is still ongoing) and not some kind of 2D package even if it was a remaster of an old game like that PS1 Castlevania.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I dunno if you could say any era of Castlevania is still ongoing when the last game came out 7 years ago

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

On the subject of "canceled games that will most likely never see the light of day," here are some screenshots of Seiken Densetsu for Famicom Disk System:

https://twitter.com/VGDensetsu/status/1378801471555317768
https://twitter.com/VGDensetsu/status/1378806940948652034
https://twitter.com/VGDensetsu/status/1379047192640512002

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Ballz posted:

On the subject of "canceled games that will most likely never see the light of day," here are some screenshots of Seiken Densetsu for Famicom Disk System:

https://twitter.com/VGDensetsu/status/1378801471555317768
https://twitter.com/VGDensetsu/status/1378806940948652034
https://twitter.com/VGDensetsu/status/1379047192640512002

:aaa:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I dunno if you could say any era of Castlevania is still ongoing when the last game came out 7 years ago

the wounds... still deep. :negative:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Coffee Jones posted:

I’d expect that since Nintendo limited the number of titles a licensee could publish on the NES a lot more “candidates for production” were brought to a shippable state. lotsa protos.

Did Japanese licensees have a similar situation or is it just open season:
if everyone wants to make a dragon quest knockoff this quarter; that’s what we’ll have. :woop:

Do we see many leaked PC protos the same way we’re seeing consoles?

No, in Japan there weren't any restrictions. The restrictions in the US were because Nintendo forced everyone to have their carts manufactured by Nintendo. Nintendo only had so much throughput so they restricted orders. This caused enormous problems for the actual publishers, but Nintendo made more money that way so their attitude was that everyone else could go gently caress themselves. The line about Nintendo restricting publishing in order to prevent another crash is bullshit.

And you better loving believe that everybody and their cousin were cranking out Dragon Quest clones as fast as they could make them. That and baseball; so much loving baseball.

It's really unlikely that a company would produce a game and then solely have it blocked by Nintendo's limitations on the number of games a company could produce. That's something you work out in the planning stages. There are games that got made or localized and were never released for other reasons, though. Maybe they knocked something together fast in case there was a hole in the schedule that never happened. Or maybe they did some market research and decided that they'd lose more money publishing it than just locking it away because Americans don't play RPGs.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

No, in Japan there weren't any restrictions. The restrictions in the US were because Nintendo forced everyone to have their carts manufactured by Nintendo. Nintendo only had so much throughput so they restricted orders. This caused enormous problems for the actual publishers, but Nintendo made more money that way so their attitude was that everyone else could go gently caress themselves. The line about Nintendo restricting publishing in order to prevent another crash is bullshit.

This is also why so many imprints like Ultra Games and the like existed. They were essentially shell companies third party publishers used to get around Nintendo's restrictions on publishing.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

No, in Japan there weren't any restrictions. The restrictions in the US were because Nintendo forced everyone to have their carts manufactured by Nintendo.
I wanna say this requirement was applied in Japan at some point, I remember Namco throwing a fit at no longer getting preferential treatment.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I don't think the famicom had the lockout chip to begin with, so there wasn't much they could do.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The Kins posted:

For more PC prototype goodness: The free Steam release of Shadow Warrior contains a rights-holder-approved swarm of prototype builds rescued from old backups of developer hard drives, dating back to four years before the game's release. It, uh, changed a LOT during that time.

Any good links or videos that document the changes? I'm curious if it used to be more or less racist.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

Any good links or videos that document the changes? I'm curious if it used to be more or less racist.
There's detailed analysis over at TCRF. Beware, some pages are NSFW.

Here's a few videos I made of some of them, but there are a few things I didn't know about when recording them like the magic system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiphDDfJQrQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uENCKM-U-eY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R7jG26oDsE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_Btb9T2dsU

The Kins fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Apr 7, 2021

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

The line about Nintendo restricting publishing in order to prevent another crash is bullshit.

i think there's an element of truth to it at the very beginning of the NES's lifecycle. nintendo needed to demonstrate that it was not going to be a platform for trash to get people to buy into it and while there are bad games in the first 3 years of the NES, they aren't trash as such. i agree that once every kid in america knew who mario and link were, nintendo's tight grip on production effectively became entirely profit-driven and you can tell because they started letting folks like Beam develop for the system so there obviously wasn't a quality motive behind it any longer

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Jazerus posted:

i think there's an element of truth to it at the very beginning of the NES's lifecycle. nintendo needed to demonstrate that it was not going to be a platform for trash to get people to buy into it and while there are bad games in the first 3 years of the NES, they aren't trash as such. i agree that once every kid in america knew who mario and link were, nintendo's tight grip on production effectively became entirely profit-driven and you can tell because they started letting folks like Beam develop for the system so there obviously wasn't a quality motive behind it any longer

Yeah the quality to trash ratio on the NES is pretty high. Really it only starts to really fall apart around 1990 but there are other factors at play there too. You have competition from the likes of Sega and NEC which Nintendo was very much not wanting to let any developer no matter how bad go to a rival. Also the market had matured enough that there wasn’t the danger of it collapsing like it did before. You also have the SNES being readied for launch in the US so allowing more third parties on the NES and having more lackluster software compared to the top developers/publishers on the new SNES to make it look that much better is savvy as well.

Sony reused the same trick with the PSX to PS2 where they allowed pretty much any garbage to be released on the hardware to try and entice people to jump to the PS2. Granted the level of poo poo on the NES is nothing compared to what most of the latter PSX titles were.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I imagine a lot of the movie and TV show games being awful were a major contributor to the overall quality. It's all E.T.'s fault.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Djarum posted:

Yeah the quality to trash ratio on the NES is pretty high. Really it only starts to really fall apart around 1990 but there are other factors at play there too. You have competition from the likes of Sega and NEC which Nintendo was very much not wanting to let any developer no matter how bad go to a rival. Also the market had matured enough that there wasn’t the danger of it collapsing like it did before. You also have the SNES being readied for launch in the US so allowing more third parties on the NES and having more lackluster software compared to the top developers/publishers on the new SNES to make it look that much better is savvy as well.

Sony reused the same trick with the PSX to PS2 where they allowed pretty much any garbage to be released on the hardware to try and entice people to jump to the PS2. Granted the level of poo poo on the NES is nothing compared to what most of the latter PSX titles were.

yeah and you can see the opposite effect with the GBA; nintendo was so deeply confident of their dominant handheld market position that literally anyone could sell anything for it with the official nintendo seal of approval, and for every cool metroidvania or pokemon game you have fifty Urban Yetis

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Jazerus posted:

yeah and you can see the opposite effect with the GBA; nintendo was so deeply confident of their dominant handheld market position that literally anyone could sell anything for it with the official nintendo seal of approval, and for every cool metroidvania or pokemon game you have fifty Urban Yetis

Well by that point and this started really once the Game Gear and Lynx died in the US, they had no reason to not allow whatever on the platform. Nintendo’s iron fist had gotten crushed really by the mid 90s, the video game market was never going to collapse again and the Game Boy and Game Boy Color were considered at that point to be primarily youth systems; 6-13. This has continued mostly until this day except for the first year or so after launch due to the demographics who were primarily the early adopters. Even the 3DS got a pretty heavy load of crap and licensed kid junk software, especially have the 2DS launched.

Frankly I don’t know how that licensed crap makes any money at all especially in today’s markets. They can’t make back their investment and you always see massive amounts of them being cleared out for literally pennies quite often.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Licenced crap these days doesn't appear in physical form much, it's all put into mobile games where you can just take a generic gacha game and slap whatever skin you need onto it. Like the Tom and Jerry or Looney Tunes gacha games which exist.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The Kins posted:

I wanna say this requirement was applied in Japan at some point, I remember Namco throwing a fit at no longer getting preferential treatment.

Nintendo added a "seal of quality" style licensing program in 1987, four years after the Famicom's release and that infuriated a lot of the people who supported them from the beginning. They also stopped allowing licensees to manufacture their own carts in late 1985.

And if Nintendo cared about quality from the start, then Bandai wouldn't be the first third party to release on the NES. Nothing says high quality game like M.U.S.C.L.E. and Chubby Cherub.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Apr 7, 2021

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Jazerus posted:

I remember going to EB games as 9-11 year old kid and seeing the GBA section filled with the oddest trash. Zellers and the like had even more.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Violet_Sky posted:

I remember going to EB games as 9-11 year old kid and seeing the GBA section filled with the oddest trash. Zellers and the like had even more.

These are the memories you'll never forget

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I remember playing Advance Wars on 9/11.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I remember thinking Star Wolf had gone too far this time.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
not far enough. :colbert:

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Fast forward to today, when the Switch online store contains mostly ported phone shovelware and hentai games with the hentai cut out.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

In general every Dreamcast, unless equipped with a GDEMU and the noctua fan mod, sounds like a bucket of silverware falling down a flight of stairs while it’s actually in operation.

Man, I totally forgot that the Dreamcast used to scream in pain every time you forced it to play a game.

Well, I say 'forgot', I think I mean 'repressed'.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Was anything worse than the Wii bargain bin?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

The DS comes in a strong second, but no, the Wii is a clear winner.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
The Wii was the last gasp for shovelware before smartphones took over

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Friend posted:

Was anything worse than the Wii bargain bin?

What is this a post filled with games better than godhand?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Anubis II, Rock and Roll Adventures, Trixie in Toyland and Ninjabread Man were all the exact same game with the player model swapped out.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I bet shovelware studios have backlogs of hundreds of "completed" but unreleased games that they cranked out but didn't find a publisher for in time in the days of Wii finally fizzling out.

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!

Dip Viscous posted:

I bet shovelware studios have backlogs of hundreds of "completed" but unreleased games that they cranked out but didn't find a publisher for in time in the days of Wii finally fizzling out.

It might be a mixed blessing that bit rot is going to destroy every CD-R prototype of every unreleased Olsen twins Wii game long before someone pulls them out of a tree hollow 20 years from now

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

flavor.flv posted:

Anubis II, Rock and Roll Adventures, Trixie in Toyland and Ninjabread Man were all the exact same game with the player model swapped out.

How was that legal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

How was that legal?

Why would it be illegal? Most everything in your daily life is tweaked rebrands. You ever eaten at a chain restaurant? Then you were eating some reheated Sysco. Most Generics are Name brands with one ingredient changed and different branding, Your clothes come from the same sweatshops that those goofy knockoffs you see on in internet are.