Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Jenny Agutter posted:

after Fisher relented on saying the "booyah" line

whedon needs to be insanely brutally bullied for the rest of his life

Joss Whedon being bullied could've saved us a lot of awful content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Jenny Agutter posted:

after Fisher relented on saying the "booyah" line

whedon needs to be insanely brutally bullied for the rest of his life

That's such petty potshot towards Ray too, considering his theater background. Whedon is a huge loving bitch.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Mat Cauthon posted:

Immensely lovely that Ray Fisher's career is going to be the only one to really take a hit here.

Also pretty interesting that Affleck of all people tried to get the rest of the main cast to walk out in protest of Whedon's bullshit. Wouldn't have expected that.

Affleck once shut down production for 4 days because he refused to wear a Yankees hat and got his way so presumably he understands the power he wields, which is probably why Whedon didn't gently caress with him.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Mat Cauthon posted:

Also pretty interesting that Affleck of all people tried to get the rest of the main cast to walk out in protest of Whedon's bullshit. Wouldn't have expected that.
Does anyone know what he's like on set?

I would imagine his work with Matt Damon and Kevin Smith would predispose him to value the "family" unit that forms a cast but I do not know.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Also he’s kind of rowdy and the size of a door

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
I mean there's a good chance he's been an alcoholic while on set but he's also an experienced, award-winning writer & director in his own right so I imagine he knows how things are supposed to run and how people are supposed to be treated.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Alexander Hamilton posted:

I mean there's a good chance he's been an alcoholic while on set but he's also an experienced, award-winning writer & director in his own right so I imagine he knows how things are supposed to run and how people are supposed to be treated.

As an actor Affleck has 77 acting credits listed in his imdb entry (with but one listing for multiple episodes of a TV show). It's not on the scale of some of the more prolific "get me to the catering table" actors but that is a loving ton and he's been active much longer than Whedon and under way more varied circumstances.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Affleck has worked with Terence Malick, John Frankenheimer, Gus Van Sant, Richard Linklater and Michael Bay so I doubt Joss Whedon is going to intimidate him.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Mat Cauthon posted:

Immensely lovely that Ray Fisher's career is going to be the only one to really take a hit here.

Why not? Along with being an actor, Affleck is a writer and a director (he directed Gone Baby Gone, The Town and Argo). He knows the difference between directing and bull-poo poo power-playing and he has enough standing to not be willing to put up with the latter - even if it wasn't directed at him.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I always thought the point of that speech in Hamlet was that Hamlet was being a ridiculous bore who goes about telling the players how to do their own job. Surprised to find this is not the universal interpretation.

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,
Joy to him who has understood,
Delight to those who have listened.

- Hávamál

josh04 posted:

I always thought the point of that speech in Hamlet was that Hamlet was being a ridiculous bore who goes about telling the players how to do their own job. Surprised to find this is not the universal interpretation.

I thought it was Hamlet adding a bunch of bullshit to an already written play for the sake of petty revenge.

Which fits Whedon loving up Justice League out of spite.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Everyone posted:

Why not? Along with being an actor, Affleck is a writer and a director (he directed Gone Baby Gone, The Town and Argo). He knows the difference between directing and bull-poo poo power-playing and he has enough standing to not be willing to put up with the latter - even if it wasn't directed at him.

I did know the thing about him shutting down Gone Girl over the baseball cap, it's just kind of surprising that he'd be willing to take the hit on something like this but maybe that speaks to his character and standing in hollywood outside of the sensational tabloid stuff that tends to paint him as an oaf and/or cad who happens to be in good things from time to time. I guess it's no different than RDJ insisting on the rest of the Avengers cast getting a pay raise though.

Fwiw Affleck is alright in my book and I thought he did a pretty good job wearing the cowl - I was definitely looking forward to seeing what his solo movie would've been like and getting more Jeremy Irons as Alfred. Can't blame him for walking away though.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Everyone posted:

He should have invited Bruce Willis on set for a day and then asked Whedon about camera lenses.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

josh04 posted:

After having watched half of his Much Ado about Nothing adaptation, I feel safe in saying that Whedon doesn't quite 'get' Shakespeare.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Everyone posted:

Yeah, he’s also won 2 Oscars (BP for Argo and Best Screenplay for Good Will Hunting.) If it’s a question of who has more credentials or power in the Hollywood machine, he’s not really someone Joss Whedon could intimidate.

He’s also genuinely a better director. I like him far more as a director than an actor.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

He also said that one of the main reasons he took the job of Batman was to learn more about how to direct action movies from Zack Snyder. So he clearly has respect for Snyder. I imagine watching Whedon butcher Snyder's work pissed him off.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Grendels Dad posted:

After having watched half of his Much Ado about Nothing adaptation, I feel safe in saying that Whedon doesn't quite 'get' Shakespeare.

“You lit all your shots so they’d work in black & white, huh? That’s great, Zack. You know, I have experience filming in black & white, too...”

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

thrawn527 posted:

He also said that one of the main reasons he took the job of Batman was to learn more about how to direct action movies from Zack Snyder. So he clearly has respect for Snyder. I imagine watching Whedon butcher Snyder's work pissed him off.

I forgot that Affleck was gonna direct, too, now I kinda wanna see this.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY3IAqm-gpE

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

I mean...ok? Doesn’t do much for me. And Mark Millar is not a selling point to me lol.

I think I’m kind of tired of cape poo poo.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Interesting. They nailed the Quitely look for some characters. Looks like Iron Guy is the villain and the first season will leave off setting up Big Twist from issue 2/3.

Honestly not sure they can sustain a whole season of just leadup but we'll see.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Good casting on Brandon and Chloe. Let's see if the rest holds up.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Let me guess: Half the cape people in this trailer are Actually Evil. Especially Super-Jesus.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Bit non-plussed by the trailer as someone who hasn't read the comic. They're a family of superheroes and they're mad about the past, but not in a Watchmen sort of way? And slow-moving Iron Man is the villain at least briefly?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Ehh, I'll watch it. But that was not a hype trailer lol.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

That trailer feels like someone was trying to get ahead of the "slow" complaints that will happen during character building moments. Just showing disjointed action reminiscent of better things so people might sit and look for other references.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Grendels Dad posted:

Let me guess: Half the cape people in this trailer are Actually Evil. Especially Super-Jesus.

I'd be spoiling far too much to answer that in full, but Jupiter's Legacy is mostly not about good versus evil.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I know absolutely nothing about the comic, but that trailer has me really interested in the show. It looks different than most other super hero stuff, and I legit don't know where the show will go, which is rare. I'm going to go out of my way to avoid spoilers from the comics to keep it that way, so yeah, I appreciate keeping it spoiler free in here, as much as is reasonable.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Jedit posted:

I'd be spoiling far too much to answer that in full, but Jupiter's Legacy is mostly not about good versus evil.

Well now I want to know the spoilery answer!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

bushisms.txt posted:

That trailer feels like someone was trying to get ahead of the "slow" complaints that will happen during character building moments. Just showing disjointed action reminiscent of better things so people might sit and look for other references.

See having read the comic the amount of stuff they showed seems to indicate (spoilers for the comic) that they are going to drag poo poo way the gently caress out, since IIRC by the 3rd issue of the comic Superdad and Supermom are dead as hell. Unless they are just dumping a bunch from the first 2 or 3 episodes and we will still see that twist halfway-ish through the first season

Also when I think of Jupiter's Legacy I can't help but think about Millar's critique of Man of Steel that only came to light years later when he was trying to sell another comic series as a response to MoS's nihilism. Anyway, he said MoS "traumatized" him, which I find suspicious since Jupiter's Legacy #3 released 2 months after Man of Steel features (again, comics spoilers) some children betraying and brutally murdering their parents who are basically Superman and his equally nice wife, including a particular gratuitous and over-the-top murder of Supermom

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Mark Millar wrote The Unfunnies, the most offensive comic book ever printed. And 3 years before MoS he wrote Nemesis, about an evil Batman pastiche who kidnapped his nemesis daughter and son, impregnated the daughter with the sons sperm and then booby trapped the womb so they couldn't abort it.

Mark Millar can go gently caress himself with a rusty chainsaw

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Wtf

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Both Mark Millar's persona and Mark Millar's comically distasteful comics are just weird promotional tools for his movie writing career, rather than anything deeply held.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I'm going to ask you to imagine every single "YIKES" and "OOF" Twitter image macro bouncing around the screen like the Solitaire cards. Holy cow.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The "gay baby IED" or whatever from Nemesis was just preposterous, self parody gets no better.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I feel like there's a Good Mark Millar and a Bad Mark Millar but even Good Mark Millar's stuff is like... B+ at best and comprises at most 1/3 of his work so it's maybe not worth sifting through Bad Mark Millar.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I feel like there's a Good Mark Millar and a Bad Mark Millar but even Good Mark Millar's stuff is like... B+ at best and comprises at most 1/3 of his work so it's maybe not worth sifting through Bad Mark Millar.

Yeah agreed. I checked out JL (heh, just got this) for the Frank Quietly art and left with a bad Millar aftertaste in my mouth.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The good Mark Millar is probably when he steals ideas from Grant Morrison

So really it’s just bad Mark Millar

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Gatts posted:

The good Mark Millar is probably when he steals ideas from Grant Morrison

and Warren Ellis, yeah.

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah agreed. I checked out JL (heh, just got this) for the Frank Quietly art and left with a bad Millar aftertaste in my mouth.

yeah he baits you with the good artists. Starlight was one that was actually pretty worth it - mostly for the outstanding Goran Parlov art, but the writing wasn't, like, embarassing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Huh??? Where are the beemen and dogmen? Where's Redmayne and Kunis?