Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Ultra Carp

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My(f39) husband(m38) accurately guessed my intimate history. Why did that annoy me so much? Worth discussing or not?

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009

Hughlander posted:

I (29F) incorrectly thought my BF (31M) was cheating, and I ruined everything

I wonder why he said he was going to his brother's house, instead of mentioning the plans with his niece? Not that it justifies anything she did. I'm just confused by the situation as she described it.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Hughlander posted:

I (29F) incorrectly thought my BF (31M) was cheating, and I ruined everything

Wow, if you'd learned any chinese at all while you were with this guy, you'd know 妹妹 means little sister, dumbass

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

house of the dad posted:

You don't understand. He might be wearing aspirational pants. Pants that he wears because they make him look and feel a certain way. And that's terrible.

He also thinks everyone should dress up more and bemoans not being able to complain about the fact that his girlfriend dresses like everyone else. I'm not saying it's bad, just insecure.

And sorry, I don't believe he just finds that stuff more comfortable. No one finds polos comfortable, please

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Play posted:

He also thinks everyone should dress up more and bemoans not being able to complain about the fact that his girlfriend dresses like everyone else. I'm not saying it's bad, just insecure.

And sorry, I don't believe he just finds that stuff more comfortable. No one finds polos comfortable, please

They're way better than button downs at least. :shrug:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Play posted:

Polos I'll give you, but there are definitely people who find khakis more comfortable than jeans. And there's nothing really intrinsically "uncomfortable" about button-ups, honestly most of them are more comfortable in my experience than pull-overs, I'm just too lazy to do buttons. (although I imagine the fabric matters far more than whether there are buttons or not)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

ZoeDomingo posted:

I wonder why he said he was going to his brother's house, instead of mentioning the plans with his niece? Not that it justifies anything she did. I'm just confused by the situation as she described it.

It's a very weird detail.

Presumably, to pick up his niece who is his brother's child... But why the hell would you leave that out?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Play posted:

I'm currently wearing a polo. It feels quite comfortable to me :shrug:

Like with jeans, you need to get the good ones that are built for comfort and not just grab the cheapest garbage ones that feel like a wool/sandpaper alloy.

E: I guess there's the added trap that even some of the more expensive ones feel awful, but you should be able to make that judgement for yourself when buying it pretty easily.

AnoHito fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 7, 2021

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I hate polos and I have to wear one every loving day to work

feller
Jul 5, 2006

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Presumably, to pick up his niece who is his brother's child... But why the hell would you leave that out?

She mentions in the post that he had told her about the upcoming dinner with his niece before. So he probably figured it was obvious why he was going to his brother’s

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

yikes! posted:

She mentions in the post that he had told her about the upcoming dinner with his niece before. So he probably figured it was obvious why he was going to his brother’s

Yeah I'm not sure it's weird to say you're going to your brother's house instead of your niece's. Pretty sure that's how he considers the house: that of his brother, even if his niece also lives there.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Generally when you're being honest with someone all the time you don't go out of your way to preemptively explain and defend everything you are doing.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Also, he apparently did explain all of this to her, and she just never put 2 and 2 together.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Everett False posted:

I think depending on your anatomy (I've heard it given as a male/female dichotomy but eh), it's possible for your waist to be a significantly different size depending on whether you're sitting or standing. So if you wear your jeans at your waist, that can make them pretty uncomfortable compared to garments with a greater stretch. The sturdiness of denim means they tend to dig in more painfully than pants made of a thinner fabric even without stretch.

I'm a big fan of dresses, but that's because I'm lazy and don't like having to match things.

No one under the age of 80 wears Jeans at the waist.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
The only jeans I wear are caked in old diarrhea from all my gurglespurts

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

AnoHito posted:

Also, he apparently did explain all of this to her, and she just never put 2 and 2 together.

No she put 2 and 2 together. The problem is she got 128,789 as the answer.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Jeans are stiff and scratchy and I've never worn them since I had a voice in picking out my own clothes.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Malcolm Excellent posted:

I hope that kid went to the doctor or stopped eating his mother's diarrhea inducing food.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Ultra Carp

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

duck trucker posted:

I once had a pair of express jeans with a button fly that I loving loved because I found them super comfortable and I'm a freak who liked the button fly but I ripped them and can't find another pair that comes close. :qq:

Nudie Jeans

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

I can't get past the fact that they've been dating for over two years and she doesn't know his niece's name. That could make sense if the brother lived far away or they weren't in touch often, but the boyfriend is close enough with Jennifer to take her for a make-up birthday meal. Why would OP expect this guy to pop the question any time now when she clearly gives no shits about the rest of his not-her life?

deety fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Apr 7, 2021

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

pro polo and button up wearing strategy is to get some stretchy wife beaters to wear under them

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I think the real deal breaker for khaki boy is what he does with the button up shirt. If its a dress shirt and he tucks it he definitely is going for the retail manager look. The only worse option is if he buys those Untuckit shirts. Absolute worst case scenario: Untuckit + pleated khakis.

I actually have a pair of pleated khaki overalls that I use when I want to infiltrate heterosexual spaces. I wear them with Vibrams worn inside a pair of Crocs. Nobody has ever questioned my heterosexuality in this getup.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
I don't think I've worn proper jeans since jeggings were introduced.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

cumshitter posted:

I think the real deal breaker for khaki boy is what he does with the button up shirt. If its a dress shirt and he tucks it he definitely is going for the retail manager look. The only worse option is if he buys those Untuckit shirts. Absolute worst case scenario: Untuckit + pleated khakis.

I actually have a pair of pleated khaki overalls that I use when I want to infiltrate heterosexual spaces. I wear them with Vibrams worn inside a pair of Crocs. Nobody has ever questioned my heterosexuality in this getup.

cumshitter i'm sure i've asked this of you before but what's your take on the "french tuck"?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

deety posted:

I can't get past the fact that they've been dating for over two years and she doesn't know his niece's name. That could make sense if the brother lived far away or they weren't in touch often, but the boyfriend is close enough with Jennifer to take her for a make-up birthday meal. Why would OP expect this guy to pop the question any time now when she clearly gives no shits about the rest of his not-her life?
The boyfriend calls the niece "mei mei" all the time, which is Chinese for "younger sister", but is also used for any female kid. I knew a Chinese-American coworker who would pick up her own baby and coo "mei mei" at her.

OP is still very much the rear end in a top hat, but the name confusion makes sense.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
AITA for telling my MIL she can’t see her grandbaby immediately when it’s born? (self.AmItheAsshole)

quote:

My MIL lives twelve hours away. My partner and I told her months ago that we are going to have a “babymoon” period of 8 weeks, where NOBODY except my partner and I (and the baby’s pediatrician) will meet our baby in person. That way I have time to recover, we have time to learn what the heck we are doing, and baby will have had shots.

We also informed her that we would not be able to host her when she comes to visit. She has a sister who lives about an hour from us, who has PLENTY of space. We suggested she stay there or get a hotel nearby. We have an extremely tiny apartment, with a very small loveseat instead of couch. In other words, NO room for a guest to stay. She was really quiet, but she didn’t say anything. We figured she understood where we were coming from, and assumed it was resolved.

Fast forward months later, and our due date is fast approaching. Imagine our surprise when MIL calls us to let us know that she “worked everything out with her sister”. She informs us she will be coming up to stay with her sister for three weeks before the baby is due, and then she’ll just “decide from there when she wants to go back home”.

So I said, “what is the point of coming before baby is even here??”

MIL goes, “well babies come early all the time and there is NO WAY I am letting you take away my ONLY grandbaby’s birth from me!!!”

I swallowed my fiery rage and gently reminded her that we didn’t want any visitors— that it was a special time for her son and I to learn how to take care of our little one and become a family.

She was SO angry. She said, “You wouldn’t even have a baby right now without MY SON! I BIRTHED HIM! You can’t keep me away. Besides, I’ll tell you what, you guys are clueless. there is no way you will last with that baby by yourselves! You can’t keep me away from my grandbaby!!!”

I asked her if she was planning on coming up 8 weeks later like we had discussed, and she said she can only afford to make the trip once a year.

My partner chimed in at that point and told his mom that she won’t even know when the baby is born until we are already safe and sound at home a few days later. He said that if she comes to stay with her sister and just shows up at our house, he will let her sit out there knocking all day long because he is not going to open the door. She just laughed and said “good luck keeping me away!!!”

Are we the assholes???

anyone have advice?

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I stopped wearing jeans around 5 years ago because I got too fat for them and already wasted my new clothes budget and slacks and chinos. When I had a little more money to spare, it had been so long I didn't miss them.

I've lost like 20 pounds since then, so my old pairs might fit again.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I dunno why chinos have slacks style front pockets, it's stupid

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

ghost emoji posted:

AITA for telling my MIL she can’t see her grandbaby immediately when it’s born? (self.AmItheAsshole)

My nephew and his wife did the same thing and man did my sister throw a loving fit.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

cumshitter i'm sure i've asked this of you before but what's your take on the "french tuck"?

I hadn't heard of it but it looks silly and seems like a way for thin guys to show off their physique. Just wear better fitting clothes if that's what you're going for.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

cumshitter posted:

I hadn't heard of it but it looks silly and seems like a way for thin guys to show off their physique. Just wear better fitting clothes if that's what you're going for.

* spends $60 a piece on slim fitted shirts at Express *

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

ghost emoji posted:

8 weeks until anyone can meet the baby? Yeah, you’re an rear end in a top hat.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Just start calling a french tuck a mulletshirt.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Sanford posted:

???

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I've never seen a man French tuck. Or maybe I just never stare at the hips of men.

Ah poo poo it's probably that that one.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Hughlander posted:

No one under the age of 80 wears Jeans at the waist.

I’m incredibly fat and I do because if I wear them at hip level they will slide off me even with a belt.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The boyfriend calls the niece "mei mei" all the time, which is Chinese for "younger sister", but is also used for any female kid. I knew a Chinese-American coworker who would pick up her own baby and coo "mei mei" at her.

OP is still very much the rear end in a top hat, but the name confusion makes sense.

I guess it was throwing me off because I was thinking of that as something like a nickname, and I know both real names and any commonly used nicknames of most of the kids that my friends & family talk about.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sanford posted:

Gonna need a good explanation for this hot take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh

Sanford posted:

New parents are likely exhausted and overwhelmed, a bunch of visitors “trying to help” will likely just stress them out further.