Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

dialhforhero posted:

The catch-22 to an old house like this is the 15k you need to put into repairing the slate roof, the 5k to refinish the oak or heartwood pine floors, the $500 to repair the plaster and lathe in just one of the rooms, and the whatever you have to do to replace (and in many cases you will find: hide) the knob and tube electrical work so you can insure the house.

In New England surveys of Most Frightening Monster, knob-and-tube narrowly beat Predator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

zedprime posted:

Modern architecture is taking all the expensive ominous parts out. Those modernist fishbowls all gonna blow over instantly.

this is an austere postmodernism, this is the problem when you start using terms like "modernism" to describe your contemporary style and thus we end up with awkward descriptors like mid-century modernism or international modernism

e: also everyone always thinks new thing look cheap and flimsy compared to old thing, ye of olde and thus now, the world is degraded compared to the glorious past, complaining about the present is eternal, etc.

Mr. Fall Down Terror has a new favorite as of 16:27 on Apr 8, 2021

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Also also badly-built housing of 100 years ago has mostly been torn down, so there's a survival-of-the-fittest thing going on.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Talk to any firefighter about homes built before 1950 and homes after with regards to the amount of time you have to get out before dying as well as how much of the structure is recoverable if your home catches on fire.

Also: rough cut 2x8 joists are true to dimensions unlike today and are of old growth, denser wood that you cannot get anymore. These houses, if maintained even moderately, are built to last. It’s just that the maintained part is hard

dialhforhero has a new favorite as of 16:57 on Apr 8, 2021

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

this is an austere postmodernism, this is the problem when you start using terms like "modernism" to describe your contemporary style and thus we end up with awkward descriptors like mid-century modernism or international modernism

e: also everyone always thinks new thing look cheap and flimsy compared to old thing, ye of olde and thus now, the world is degraded compared to the glorious past, complaining about the present is eternal, etc.

And part of this is just updated materials. A steel-and-glass structure can be just as sturdy (or more!) compared to a wood-and-brick structure, but because it's made of modern materials that are stronger despite being lighter and thinner and more transparent, it looks less sturdy than a solid square made of good old opaque brick and wood.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/philoso_foster/status/1380165379922649091

https://twitter.com/MattZeitlin/status/1379992734874935296

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
People misunderstanding Brutalism is one of my pet peeves, especially because it's one of my favorite 20th century styles. It's also weird that anyone immediately thinks Soviet Russia when they see a concrete building with repeating simple geometric lines, considering the style was arguably more popular in the US during its height in the 60s and 70s.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

WEll I'll be misunderstanding Brutalism in my garage all evening, boosting it's power to unbelievable levels.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
snore. someone wake me up when brutalism means this and then we'll talk

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Close enough

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

That's brutal.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

take a look at this oppressive brutalist architecture in

*checks note*

Soviet Burnaby, Canada

Mak0rz has a new favorite as of 17:58 on Apr 8, 2021

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

^^^- Ottawa and Toronto also have some really great and unique examples and public spaces. Architecture is cool, man.

zoux posted:

I'm talking about aesthetics!!! Soulless gray boxes describe soviet housing exactly!! That communist soulless gray boxes last longer than capitalist soulless gray boxes isn't a plus

Excellent save! Turned that embarrassing L into a big big W!

Cocaine Bear has a new favorite as of 18:03 on Apr 8, 2021

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mak0rz posted:

*checks note*

Soviet Burnaby, Canada

It sucks mate

Huego
Mar 12, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Brutalism has been the official architectural style of the internet for at least 20 years and much like the Harry Potter people need to Read Another Book, brutalism nerds need to Look at Another Building. Brutalist buildings are miserable to actually be inside, almost always dark with chronically damp interiors. If the most you can think to say in praise of your favorite style is "you can grow ivy on it" maybe it's not actually all that great?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Huego posted:

Brutalism has been the official architectural style of the internet for at least 20 years and much like the Harry Potter people need to Read Another Book, brutalism nerds need to Look at Another Building. Brutalist buildings are miserable to actually be inside, almost always dark with chronically damp interiors. If the most you can think to say in praise of your favorite style is "you can grow ivy on it" maybe it's not actually all that great?

But consider this: dark with chronically damp interiors, and you can grow ivy on it!

Huego
Mar 12, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Killingyouguy! posted:

But consider this: dark with chronically damp interiors, and you can grow ivy on it!

Whoa I never thought about it that way

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

everyone always thinks new thing look cheap and flimsy compared to old thing, ye of olde and thus now, the world is degraded compared to the glorious past, complaining about the present is eternal, etc.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Also also badly-built housing of 100 years ago has mostly been torn down, so there's a survival-of-the-fittest thing going on.

People like the houses that are built well and criticize the ones that are built poorly. The fact that there are more current houses that are built poorly (because the older ones got torn down) agrees with that point.

Like if your options are

1. A well-built house from 1923 that has been maintained and looks good.

or

2. A McMansion made entirely of drywall built last year.

You're gonna pick #1.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I might have to ammend that here in Germany "Altbau" is a style that is around 1900 to 1940s at latest, and what I have in mind if I think about old appartment buildings with nice facades. They are usually kind of fancy and roomy inside, I like em. I lived in one of the ones on the right for a few years.

Brutalism imho can suck my balls, the main argument is that you can add plants to it, but nobody ever does it. This is my hometowns old post office:

This... is the brutalist newer one they built to replace it decades ago

So yeah, guess which I prefer.

I also lived next to these two monstrocoties, absolutely gently caress ugly buildings

The right one was called "mäusebunker" or "mice bunker" because it was a lab where they did animal testing. A fitting building for it, but it doesn't improve my opinion of it one bit. Brutalism is cool as a concept, and interesting to see, but if you live close to one of them they suck any energy out of you and the world, you really do feel like an actor in a soviet history movie.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Huego posted:

Show me on this doll where the minimalist concrete structure touched you.

Seriously tho, like what you want and don't what you don't, it's fine! I think brutalism can be very interesting and plenty of people think it's just ugly as gently caress. Both fine opinions. That a cheaply made box house is an example brutalism and that that somehow translates into capitalism being good? Now that's a dumb take!

E: tweet

https://twitter.com/JACOBCROSSlNG/status/1379937509887471621?s=19

Cocaine Bear has a new favorite as of 19:00 on Apr 8, 2021

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Son of Rodney posted:

the main argument is that you can add plants to it, but nobody ever does it. This is my hometowns old post office:

We

probably

should

though.

Because it looks loving awesome.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/jigsaw_quotes/status/1380219782679568385

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Captain Monkey posted:

We

probably

should

though.

Cop that "city ten years after the Fall of Man" look

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

zoux posted:

Cop that "city ten years after the Fall of Man" look
It's such a great contrast and hey, might as well give it a bit of a head start.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Captain Monkey posted:

We

probably

should

though.

Now see, that I could actually get into. That has something actually *alive* in it's presentation, competely changes the entire vibe.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Killingyouguy! posted:

Warning: Growing ivy on it will rapidly destroy the concrete

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

Mak0rz posted:

*checks note*

Soviet Burnaby, Canada

I recognize this building because I watched Battlestar Galactica a lot.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Lmao I found this one while looking through some related posts

https://twitter.com/niktaylorde/status/1251931026827476992

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Brutalism fucks

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I think I don't like brutalism because it's basically a response to big fascist concrete architecture by the non-facists so in my mind it has a similar lineage and message with the imposing concrete and blocky shapes even if it's not as Hitler-y. :shrug:

Why choose Brutalism when Frank Lloyd Wright or Bauhaus exists?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

zedprime posted:

These are usually a toolbox with some wire left sticking out and holes patched with duct tape some contractor forgot about somewhere or is too embarrassed to say excuse me that "bomb" is my toolbox. They get the bomb robot to take it out to a field and blow it up and quietly wrap it all up that there was no bomb materials inside and they just blew up a toolbox.

https://www.poconorecord.com/article/20040628/Features/306289972

Huego
Mar 12, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you love Brutalism try: Moss on a rock.

I don't even hate Brutalism, I just think the internet's obsession with it is very superficial. There's more to a building than its exterior, especially your only takeaway from looking at that exterior is "gray rectangles and ivy!"

And yes, I agree that it appeals to people (and planning commissions) that want the tough-guy aesthetic of fascism without being so obvious they get called out.

I mean lol this one literally looks like a tank for no reason. This looks like disney star wars land. There's just better ways to build, better ways to live.

SoR do you have any photos of the interior of that apartment you'd be willing to share? Dense-but-airy urban construction is what I love best no matter the era or location.

Wait someone just handed me a note... apparently this is not PYF architectural opinions?

An art account I highly recommend:

https://twitter.com/artinsociety/status/1378943064471785476

A video comedyman:

https://twitter.com/joekjoek/status/1376584841676787715

A masterpiece of design:
https://twitter.com/LegoSpaceBot/status/1377477528139542528

Some tweets:
https://twitter.com/joshgondelman/status/1378532678077706240
https://twitter.com/aniceburrito/status/1378853932701782023

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

dialhforhero posted:

Why choose Brutalism when Frank Lloyd Wright or Bauhaus exists?

Because people have to actually live in these buildings

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

vyelkin posted:

Close enough

This was my favourite library to study in when I went to school. The whole inside (untll they renovated the first like 5 floors) was this repeating hexagonal pattern that was disorienting and dank, while also not really allowing any light in unless you were in specific points of each floor. Everything was also that beautiful post-war shade of brown/orange and only half the elevators went to the specific floors you might want.

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

Foxfire_ posted:

Warning: Growing ivy on it will rapidly destroy the concrete

I see no downside here

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

1. I loving hate that I can trace the exact sequence of cultural detritus that led to this.

2. That dude has been waiting a long time to bust out his Richard Lewis and I'm happy for him.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/standplaats_krk/status/1380048207854637058?s=21

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

https://twitter.com/npfandos/status/1380287475046830080

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/RexChapman/status/1380203011335716869?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Furio is loving lying out his loving Italian rear end