Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

xtal posted:

It sounds like you are living in a different world from everybody else's experience. I actually addressed this early on because it's a core part of ELO hell. Lower ranks have more punishing variance due to casuals.
You're the only person I see getting banned every season. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
basically any individual game may be decided by factors outside of your control but overall if you can't climb that's on you bro

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

like I don't even know how someone could believe in smurfing and elo hell at the same time lol

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9nkzaOPP6g

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

xtal posted:

On the other hand, if you tell them all to go to quick play, you don't need to use up your limited avoid slots on people who shouldn't be playing ranked. It might even spare future people the trouble.

Here's my hot take: Going into ranked and playing like poo poo, is far more offensive to your teammates, than your teammates telling you you're poo poo. Queueing ranked is an agreement not to be poo poo. It's fair to be angry at people to betray that agreement and waste your time and SR.

Blizzard either needs to make avoid permanent or remove the restrictions on how many people you can avoid at once, current form of the system is completely useless

Also in my own personal experience(and what's led me to give up on Overwatch entirely till 2 comes out so I can switch over to only playing the PvE content ever again) with bad teams it's less that I'm magically better than my teammates at the parts of the game involving shooting and killing enemies(I'm probably on the lower side of average at best), it's more often that it seems like I'm the only person on my team who is 1) actively trying to play the objective instead of focusing solely on kills, and/or 2) the only person on the team who has any understanding of team composition

Which is probably why towards the end I was mostly playing Mystery Heroes even though I hate the way it's currently balanced, as it generally just felt like the least frustrating PvP mode to play cause at least there I could throw the blame more at the RNG and the enormous balance issues that mode has than getting mad at my teammates for playing like morons(I mean they usually were anyways, but I could at least pretend that it was from other reasons instead)

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
I was excited for new overwatch news! Turns out it’s just people feeding the troll.
New skins are cool and good though! Really like that Zarya one. I usually come back to OW for events and then fizzle back out but it’s fun for a while!

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

drrockso20 posted:

Also in my own personal experience(and what's led me to give up on Overwatch entirely till 2 comes out so I can switch over to only playing the PvE content ever again) with bad teams it's less that I'm magically better than my teammates at the parts of the game involving shooting and killing enemies(I'm probably on the lower side of average at best), it's more often that it seems like I'm the only person on my team who is 1) actively trying to play the objective instead of focusing solely on kills, and/or 2) the only person on the team who has any understanding of team composition

People not playing the objective is a real problem at lower ranks (just watched a pretty funny gold game where the players won two team fights but forgot to cap the point, eventually losing because they missed out on probably 50% of objective progress), but unless you're Master or above I wouldn't worry too much about team comp. Just let people play what they're good at, even if it's a bit wonky or off-meta. The bigger problem I've encountered isn't people playing bad comps, it's someone completely and totally losing their poo poo because another player picked the "wrong" hero and inevitably throwing because they decide to spend half the match tilting over it in chat.

People tilting and throwing over dumb poo poo like hero choices is actually the biggest thing that keeps me away from comp these days and dipping into MH instead. If I could queue up and just listen to/make some shot calls and have a fun match it would be one thing, but sooner or later (unfortunately, it's probably sooner) you're going to get someone on your team who's pitching a fit because people aren't playing up to their exacting, obviously GM-level standards and now you're in a 5v6 situation. The negativity and toxicity kind of sours the whole experience for me. At least in a dumb mode like MH everyone on both teams laughs at tilters for being babies.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

denimgorilla posted:

I was excited for new overwatch news! Turns out it’s just people feeding the troll.

Seriously. That can't be a real person's understanding of the world they live in.

Elo hell is being able to see some of your teammates' weaknesses, but staying oblivious to your own. That is all. Overwatch's matchmaking is very good at moving you toward a 50% win rate, which some people's brains just can't handle.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Maybe the real ELO hell is the friends who's Overwatch experience xtal ruined along the way.

I mean, these days I mostly play Arcade Classic 6v6 with a couple friends and one of their kids because I don't care enough about OW's ranked system with 7+ minute queue times despite being low Plat at best (and far, far worse then that these days, more then likely.) But, y'know, I do agree that ELO Hell exists as long as xtal is there to create and enhabit this prison of their own making.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

FAUXTON posted:

*dying as reinhardt trying to flank the other team* is this elo hell?

Feeling real called out by this!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Wicked Them Beats posted:

People not playing the objective is a real problem at lower ranks (just watched a pretty funny gold game where the players won two team fights but forgot to cap the point, eventually losing because they missed out on probably 50% of objective progress), but unless you're Master or above I wouldn't worry too much about team comp. Just let people play what they're good at, even if it's a bit wonky or off-meta. The bigger problem I've encountered isn't people playing bad comps, it's someone completely and totally losing their poo poo because another player picked the "wrong" hero and inevitably throwing because they decide to spend half the match tilting over it in chat.

People tilting and throwing over dumb poo poo like hero choices is actually the biggest thing that keeps me away from comp these days and dipping into MH instead. If I could queue up and just listen to/make some shot calls and have a fun match it would be one thing, but sooner or later (unfortunately, it's probably sooner) you're going to get someone on your team who's pitching a fit because people aren't playing up to their exacting, obviously GM-level standards and now you're in a 5v6 situation. The negativity and toxicity kind of sours the whole experience for me. At least in a dumb mode like MH everyone on both teams laughs at tilters for being babies.

I'm not even talking about super exacting team composition, just common sense ones like not using Widowmaker against a team running multiple Shield heroes or running Pharah against a team with lots of hitscan heroes, or of course the classic one where you really shouldn't normally have more than one Sniper on your team

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Anyway instead of 9 wins a week to finish the weekly challenges for this event, you need 30 of the stars awarded at the end of PVE events, with Uprising providing double stars. So if you just want to get the challenge unlocks, five normal Uprisings a week will do it.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Feeling real called out by this!

If you die its feeding.

If you kill everyone its flanking.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I also saw that Jayne video of the Gold team where they steamrolled the other team and never capped and then got wiped and tbh as a silver player it was deeply disturbing

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
Add some community dances, like the conga in tf2 - then change ult generation so that it only goes up while you dance - moreso the more people you are dancing with.

...Should make the game interesting!

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I also saw that Jayne video of the Gold team where they steamrolled the other team and never capped and then got wiped and tbh as a silver player it was deeply disturbing

This happens all the time. Gold is all tank diff.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Ravenfood posted:

You're the only person I see getting banned every season. :shrug:

Lol if only you knew more about the thing you were complaining about.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Link?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H24zSWP-Uyo

I'd timestamp it but its the first map on the first match they play

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

xtal posted:

If everyone you would blame were to quit playing you would be bronze because that is the lowest rank. Hope that helps.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Oh man that was funny.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

lmfao

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
Overwatch: Electric Light Orchestra Appreciation Station.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I get warnings about chat bans because I am relentlessly negative about my own performance and that of my team when we lose, and I am incapable of changing.

Whoops, actually got banned for three weeks. :sigh: No Bioshock Zen for me.

EDIT: tbf I deserved it, serves me right for being terminally sadbrain on text chat. might disable it when I come back.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

EDIT: tbf I deserved it, serves me right for being terminally sadbrain on text chat. might disable it when I come back.

You sure you're not just stuck in Elo Hell?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Macaluso posted:

You sure you're not just stuck in Elo Hell?

I don't play comp

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I don't play comp

I'm sure they think it follows them to qp and arcade

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Instead of typing it, just turn on push to talk and say it without pressing the button.

I'd call my teammates loving morons constantly without pressing the button, but then after I'd actually push the button and try to organize a push

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

xtal posted:

yes.. if only you did

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

and people have the nerve to say that there's no teamwork in Ranked Silver

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PA1Vu__QzsY

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Elo Hell Multipass

Robot Arms
Sep 19, 2008

R!
Is there a reason Lucio is a magnet for Rein pins? I love playing Lucio, but I feel like I get pinned more often (and often randomly) as Lucio than any other hero.

Star Frog
Nov 15, 2000

Lucio works best at the center of his team? The internal calculus of even the most basic aggressive rein charging at the center will figure out the timing on when they see you?

I was pined as Lucio earlier this week :-(

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
If you're getting pinned as Lucio it means that you are somewhat near the ground, which is absolutely haram.

Robot Arms
Sep 19, 2008

R!

Time Crisis Actor posted:

If you're getting pinned as Lucio it means that you are somewhat near the ground, which is absolutely haram.

You're not wrong, but it feels like if I get anywhere near the ground, there's Rein charging in blindly from Narnia to pin me. I guess I need to go back to the fundamentals: get to the skybox, go fast, get carried.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

My favorite combo for surgical strike is by far mercy, zen, bap, orisa.

The utility and boss melting is great.

For damage you have discord, matrix, bongo, (mercy boost but why not just shoot?).
For sustain you have 3 healers, lamp, trance, rezz, and shield.

I'm not sure if people already figured this out, or if my group of randos stumbled onto by accident.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

i haven't played competitive for a while and i've been mainly support when i did but for the past year or two i've been playing tank in quickplay to cool down after work and not worry about competitive... lately i've been trying to play competitive as a tank... my initial placement a few seasons ago had me at low gold but i dropped down to silver and then stopped playing. this season i decided to play a full season and during my placements i didn't have much luck and wound up at 1950... and have been up and down.

then tonight i got up to 1990.. so close to gold. played hanamura... good back and forth. after they capped A/B the 2nd time we went up for attack and my rein dies immediately on the first fight, we wait for him and he comes back as.... winston.. okay well he dies instantly a second time. ... then he comes back as ball and basically wastes our entire time bank before we finally cap A but we now only have one chance at B and we gently caress it up GG. not sure why he decided to do that since we were doing well when he was playing rein.

next match we start gibraltar and the other team barely make it out onto the third point.. so a doable win. we get to right at their marker and for some reason our entire time ignores the soldier/ana/junk rat hanging out on the high ground and we lose it despite having 3-4 chances at it.

then finally after dropping two matches blizzard puts me in a blizzard world match 300 points below me.. its almost all bronze players... absolutely no coordination but its fine neither do they... they finish in overtime so there's still a shot to win this... but our baptiste keeps using his immortality field to engage in fights, then after we get to the last section of the map... the bastion on our team dies while typing, "zarya hold your ult until i use my ult" then proceeds to not use it for the next two fights... i also end up chasing a hanzo a bit because none of my dps bother... i do not ever want to drop down to bronze.

obviously this happens to lots of people... its just so depressing as you're trying your best to improve while everyone else seems to do their best to get killed. i've had some matches at this level where everyone had voice chat on and it was amazing but all three matches i've only had 1 person on comms.

yeah that's how people play at these levels... just wanted to vent. :|

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Are you playing off tank exclusively or are you playing shield tank also as needed?

Do you have a decent system with decent frame rate?

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

Jeff "Tigole Bitties" "from the Overwatch team" Kaplan is out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bust out the irvinology experts who can pore over seating charts and tell us who jeff pissed off