Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Less humorously, having the n-word filter on a toggle is probably a good decision because I bet that there's voices/accents where it will falsely trigger on other words

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's a dumb idea in general. Why are you in a voice chat where people are constantly being racist, want to keep being in that voice chat but don't want to hear the "bad words"? Is the idea that the words themselves are the problem and not the racism, and these are fine people if you just bleep them?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Maybe you want to have fun talking with the other people in your online game who are usually fine but one in 5 rounds or so you get matched up with a Gamer(tm)

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Maybe you want to have fun talking with the other people in your online game who are usually fine but one in 5 rounds or so you get matched up with a Gamer(tm)

That's not the public voice chat experience at all. I also don't get how bleeping helps the situation.

Join a private Discord, it's the only way to converse with reasonable people and not kids wanting to be edgy.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm thinking of my cubicle neighbor from Taiwan who would have phone conversations where the only word I understood was "niggah".

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Someone elsewhere pointed out that Black people playing with other Black people might want to de-activate that filter specifically.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

withak posted:

I'm thinking of my cubicle neighbor from Taiwan who would have phone conversations where the only word I understood was "niggah".

it's actually "na ge" which is like "umm" or "like" and you should do some introspection about why you jump to the n-word when listening to other languages

Huego
Mar 12, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tuxedo Gin posted:

it's actually "na ge" which is like "umm" or "like" and you should do some introspection about why you jump to the n-word when listening to other languages

lmao dude anyone from any background, speaking any language, would take note if they heard what sounded like someone saying a slur. he didn't call the person out, he didn't try to ban the word, he just said "whoa hey that sounds like the n-word" like literally every english speaker does when they first run across it

do some introspection on why you think acting like that makes you seem woke

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Huego posted:

lmao dude anyone from any background, speaking any language, would take note if they heard what sounded like someone saying a slur. he didn't call the person out, he didn't try to ban the word, he just said "whoa hey that sounds like the n-word" like literally every english speaker does when they first run across it

do some introspection on why you think acting like that makes you seem woke

Really hosed up you're defending this.

Huego
Mar 12, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fame Douglas posted:

Really hosed up you're defending this.

If a man is not free to think of his cubicle neighbor, then the american experiment has failed

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Would you be interested in a $350 smartwatch whose only function is to vibrate gently to ease your anxiety?

Now to be fair, the goal of the device is laudable, but I'm a little skeptical of the site's glossiness given that the page about research proving its efficacy doesn't seem to list any actual papers, just in-progress trials, all of which supposedly improve everything for everyone it's tested on. Also, the "Apollo does not track your biometrics – it actively improves them" statement on the front page seems like a kind of t-shirt that answers a lot of questions.

Huego
Mar 12, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
gofundme so I can get a wrist wiggler

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Gin posted:

I’m aware that he wasn’t actually saying that, I just thought it was funny that he might be constantly triggering the gamer word filter while talking to his wife or whoever.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

How much to throw in a jade egg?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Fame Douglas posted:

It's a dumb idea in general. Why are you in a voice chat where people are constantly being racist, want to keep being in that voice chat but don't want to hear the "bad words"? Is the idea that the words themselves are the problem and not the racism, and these are fine people if you just bleep them?

Parents?

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

GoatSeeGuy posted:

How much to throw in a jade egg?

marble or nothing

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

withak posted:

I’m aware that he wasn’t actually saying that, I just thought it was funny that he might be constantly triggering the gamer word filter while talking to his wife or whoever.
It's worth bringing up since, in true Silicon Valley "other cultures exist outside of the context of American oppression??" fashion, these filters will end up mostly banning people for daring not to speak English

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Parent installing a voice chat word filter on their children's PCs so "bad words" get filtered out? Sorry, but that's still really dumb. The words themselves aren't the issue, bleeping them really helps nothing. Stop your children from joining public voice chat if you don't want them to hear "bad words". Racism is the problem, not individual words that can be filtered to make everything alright.

I also doubt this filter would ever work reliably enough.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Inb4 the joke was your parents are the incoming audio.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Ruffian Price posted:

It's worth bringing up since, in true Silicon Valley "other cultures exist outside of the context of American oppression??" fashion, these filters will end up mostly banning people for daring not to speak English

Banning them? The purpose is to not have to ban racists by hiding their racism from people who don't like racists.

It's an amusingly daft approach. Rather than addressing the problem of racism and toxicity in a given space we are addressing the problem of people feeling offended by it.

You go into a cafe or classroom or whatever and you hear people loudly expressing toxic racist or misogynistic views. You approach the teacher or owner and tell them it makes you uncomfortable and you are promptly handed a pair of earplugs. You protest that the issue is that they are being provided a space to express harmful views and by accepting that it takes place they are implicitly validated. You are told no, put in the earplugs and although they will continue to express their views you have no reason to be upset since you can't hear it.

The problem isn't that people are saying certain words - it's what those words represent and what it means when people feel free to openly express them in a community. We have now built a tool that can be turned on and off so if some people are offended you can tell them to toggle the switch and more importantly stop complaiming. The rest can continue to express hostile and toxic views in the space or platform provided only now you have a tool to shut down criticism - just toggle the switch.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

eXXon posted:

Would you be interested in a $350 smartwatch whose only function is to vibrate gently to ease your anxiety?

Now to be fair, the goal of the device is laudable, but I'm a little skeptical of the site's glossiness given that the page about research proving its efficacy doesn't seem to list any actual papers, just in-progress trials, all of which supposedly improve everything for everyone it's tested on. Also, the "Apollo does not track your biometrics – it actively improves them" statement on the front page seems like a kind of t-shirt that answers a lot of questions.

extra large vibrating cockring that also invades your privacy

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/dancow/status/1380188625401434115

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Wee need to amend number 14 here.

https://www.kalzumeus.com/2010/06/17/falsehoods-programmers-believe-about-names/

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

eXXon posted:

How small can you make the wrist band?

Just curious.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

VideoGameVet posted:

Just curious.

:flaccid:

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

VideoGameVet posted:

Just curious.

I'm sure someone somewhere has already made a Bluetooth, Wifi, iPhone/Android app-enabled vibrating cock ring.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Silly Burrito posted:

I'm sure someone somewhere has already made a Bluetooth, Wifi, iPhone/Android app-enabled vibrating cock ring.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/wearables/best-smart-rings/

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

I am not clicking that at work.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

https://twitter.com/holman/status/1380342593418977283?s=09

MojoAZ
Jan 1, 2010

Silly Burrito posted:

Its an innocent link, but here's the real deal:

https://www.lovense.com/bluetooth-vibrating-cock-ring

They make app-controllable sex toys for cam girls, and now are starting to venture into sex toys for males.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Silly Burrito posted:

Lol they're just actual rings. If you want a gadget that's even more limited than a fitbit, they're the way to go.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

surely they weigh the planes before they load them onto the treadmill

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

TACD posted:

surely they weigh the planes before they load them onto the treadmill

turns out the answer to whether a plane can take off of a treadmill is "depends on if the plane is overloaded because their computer software misinterpreted adult people as children", im glad we've finally come to a conclusion here.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
From the Dystopia thread:

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Turns out you can just string words together in any fuckin' order, huh.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

What happens if the tweet is deleted after being sold

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Booourns posted:

What happens if the tweet is deleted after being sold

You won’t care.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Silly Burrito posted:

https://stashapp.cc/

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Platystemon posted:

You won’t care.

Right, that does it. Gonna commission a bunch of hentai artists to make me some lovely images and then market them as Verified Waifus via NFT, brb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Sundae posted:

Right, that does it. Gonna commission a bunch of hentai artists to make me some lovely images and then market them as Verified Waifus via NFT, brb.

Don't just limit yourself to new waifus, there's probably millions waiting to be had on existing waifus, and you'll probably make bank before the games/comic industries can figure out how you're breaking copyright.