Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

chiasaur11 posted:

Was.

The final episode airs today in Japan.
It IS getting a movie though. Probably the finale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Tatsuta Age posted:

everybody agrees that Peace Sign is the best op right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7w5IMyJ3pM

edit actually now that I've rewatched them all so far I kinda like the gentle criminal arc one more lol

This has always been my favorite
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ieT6Vh7jZE

It's for an incredibly good arc, too.

As for the Gentle Criminal Arc, I consider that the Jiro OP and it's def one of the best, possibly my second or third favorite.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Larryb posted:

Honestly that’d probably be better than the current setup (where they’re down to adapting maybe a chapter or two per episode).

Hell, the show’s current setup is arguably worse than just having literal filler arcs would be in my opinion

They refuse to relinquish that time slot and have zero idea of what to do as an alternative

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

They refuse to relinquish that time slot and have zero idea of what to do as an alternative

It's still getting really good ratings, and it's an institution. You don't abandon something like that without a good reason.

What I've heard about the latest episodes also suggests that the show's improved a good deal over the most tedious parts, so it's not like they don't care. It's just the model works for One Piece so far.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

It's still getting really good ratings, and it's an institution. You don't abandon something like that without a good reason.

What I've heard about the latest episodes also suggests that the show's improved a good deal over the most tedious parts, so it's not like they don't care. It's just the model works for One Piece so far.

A new director took over at the start of the current arc and as such the animation and fights have drastically improved from what they had been for a while prior to that. Unfortunately the pacing hasn’t really been fixed at all.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

pointlessone posted:

Recap filler isn't so bad. At least they limit the filter, unlike the year+ of Naruto and Bleach fillers we got back in the day.

They could have just paused everything and padded with the adventures of Shima, underclassman in the Plus Ultra business school classes, with riveting plots about training to handle insurance adjustments in a superhero world.

I'll take the season breaks over that any day.

As a one-off episode I think it would be hilarious if we followed the business students and the anime treated it just as seriously as the hero class. Just dump us into what is clearly the middle of a story arc with stakes that all of these characters are taking seriously with characters that haven't appeared before and will never appear again.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

pointlessone posted:

Recap filler isn't so bad. At least they limit the filter, unlike the year+ of Naruto and Bleach fillers we got back in the day.

They could have just paused everything and padded with the adventures of Shima, underclassman in the Plus Ultra business school classes, with riveting plots about training to handle insurance adjustments in a superhero world.

I'll take the season breaks over that any day.

i agree with the sentiment but i'd absolutely watch a story about that

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
My takeaway from those two OPs is that the animators really like drawing All Might with his cape.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

ninjewtsu posted:

i agree with the sentiment but i'd absolutely watch a story about that

Same I'd watch that all day.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

So that was weird, I tried to watch the new episode on Funimation and it was missing subs entirely. Had to switch over to Crunchyroll.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
No top tier sakuga for Mirko's introduction, anime ruined.

Shoto's "nasty scar" *slurp* was preserved, anime saved.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
That was another cost saving episode. At least I hope so.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Not much action happened so I can see them saving up for later.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Opm season 2 vibes

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I thought this episode was good we got a look at what Endeavor becoming the #1 hero means with regards to his relationship with his family as well as the set up of the plots for Deku and Hawks. I guess other people just expect every episode to be non-stop punching and screaming?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Starsnostars posted:

I thought this episode was good we got a look at what Endeavor becoming the #1 hero means with regards to his relationship with his family as well as the set up of the plots for Deku and Hawks. I guess other people just expect every episode to be non-stop punching and screaming?

It's more that some of the shots felt shakier than MHA when it's on top of its game. It's not about the contents of the episode as much as it's about the presentation, which could have been better.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Starsnostars posted:

People were talking about the animation quality not the plot, it's kind of weird to try to turn that into some kind of personal attack.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
In which case that's my mistake as I thought people were commenting on the content of the episode. I don't think that the animation was that bad though.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

To give an example why a bunch of us from the manga club are feeling let down.

or compare manga Dabi to anime Dabi

We aren't even talking about action just still frames like above:

It's just not a great sign when there is a lot of stuff coming up that people really want to see done well. Two episodes(or one) in and the quality during some hype poo poo is poor.

Anyway expectations adjusted. Shreds of hope still remain for some cool shots. I wouldn't call this anywhere near opm season 2 yet though.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
It’s still BONES doing it. This isn’t like OPM S2 at all.

It’s fine. They’re just not going to throw their best artists at setup episodes. These episodes still get the point across and I would have never noticed the issues had someone not pointed it out, and I’m a manga reader.

The big action setpieces are coming up soon, which will be when we can decide to panic or not.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Episode 3 of the anime is out and the dub for Season 5 appears to have started up as well now

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Glad to start getting into the season proper. I actually really love this arc so I'm looking forward to seeing it animated and to the reactions.

Here are the team rosters if anyone is interested:

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Apr 10, 2021

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

I too really like this arc as a low-stakes breather and a chance to properly meet Class B and explore their quirks. It's always fun to just see a bunch of new quirks and what they can do. I also like the team rosters since it mostly splits up the established groups and we get to see some new character combos.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Nephthys posted:

Glad to start getting into the season proper. I actually really love this arc so I'm looking forward to seeing it animated and to the reactions.

Here are the team rosters if anyone is interested:

Lol, I forgot about everyone just looking blankly at Monoma. He's my favourite.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

So umm, that was another nothing episode for me. They effectively made the last episode 2 minutes shorter by adding the One For All Vestiges as a post credits scene. And now they made this episode 2 minutes shorter by replaying the exact same footage. They're really committed to animating as little as possible, which is an anime problem that is supposed to be solved by having long breaks between seasons, instead of running continuously. Bleh.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

I enjoyed seeing Aoyama in his stripped pajamas and tricolor night cap

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i'm really glad shinso is reentering the story

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
This arc was super boring in the manga so I hope it's better in animation.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

oh jay posted:

So umm, that was another nothing episode for me. They effectively made the last episode 2 minutes shorter by adding the One For All Vestiges as a post credits scene. And now they made this episode 2 minutes shorter by replaying the exact same footage. They're really committed to animating as little as possible, which is an anime problem that is supposed to be solved by having long breaks between seasons, instead of running continuously. Bleh.

not that i'm super knowledgeable about the production process, but i think maybe they were trying to stretch this episode a bit further so that they could find a decent beat to end on rather than budgetary or time constraints. they already had to make do with an awkward spot to end on, and i can't think of anything from the manga that they left out in that stretch (though it's been a long time since i read this arc)

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Episode is out and it feels like the first one to shake off the baggage and get into the action again. The animation is also back up to snuff.

I like this fight because it's the first real taste of what 1-B can do and even though they lose they come out looking strong. Gevaudan especially basically solo's most of the team and only has to retreat because of Kaminari and because he's holding a captive. Vine is also an opponent who they absolutely cannot fight head on and Shinso was their only real way to beat her. 1-A definitely would have lost without him. The other two 1-B characters also come off as competent and their quirks are good but not OP.

Kirishima and Koda are the big losers here as they just got whomped on by Gevaudan and the air guy. Shinso freezes a bit too much after his mindcontrol goes off but he's the one who turns the tables in both encounters. Kaminari also freezes for too long after the mindcontrol but he is otherwise surprisingly competent in the fight. Tsuyu is finally gets to show that she's not a pushover in a 1v1 fight and can be more than just support.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Tsubaraba perving out when Tsuyu grabs him with her tongue is pretty drat funny

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
So the animation budget is finally back just in time for yet another tournament arc.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Wow, Tsu actually got to do something again. How long has it been?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I'm dub watcher guy, anybody else?

I'm on their website and I'm a subscriber and it says English is available, but when I try to click language options for Vestiges it only has Japanese.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm on their website and I'm a subscriber and it says English is available, but when I try to click language options for Vestiges it only has Japanese.

I just checked and I am having the same issue.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Only the first episode of the dub is currently available (I found it elsewhere at least, not sure why it wouldn't be available on their site though)

Edit: Seems the second episode has been dubbed now as well

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 17, 2021

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Hunt11 posted:

I just checked and I am having the same issue.

Yeah my GF has the ep in English on the Funimation App but me on Chrome and Firefox still says only Japanese is available.

EDIT:

Okay it's up for us internet browser plebs now. Super excited.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 17, 2021

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Funimation's dubs haven't been as quick as they used to be since everyone is recording from home now.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Pacing seems a bit...off. Like a bit too much is happening. Maybe a lot too much. Hawks, Endeavor Redemption, One For All past and then the preview is about a different thing. It didn't feel like the ep gave enough time for anything to sink in properly.

Happy to see more Dabi, though. I always figured he sent the Nomu after Endeavor specifically because duh. But apparently not, unless he was lying as much as Hawks was lying during that meeting.

Also Endeavor's scar looks way worse than what I saw of it in the manga. Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Larryb posted:

Wow, Tsu actually got to do something again. How long has it been?

Yeah awakening a guy to a new fetish is pretty impressive.