Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

well why not posted:

I don't really see that Ennis is better or worse than Millar, but maybe I'm out of touch. The last Ennis thing I looked into was Crossed and I am not sure Millar has done anything quite as skeezy as that.

Essentially, the difference is that while they both veer into the puerile, Ennis is more than capable of keeping it in service of the story and he can stick the landing much more reliably than Millar. Ennis absolutely needs an editor (the Boys is so loving long) but Millar needs to be smacked away from any story he starts once it's past the base concept phase

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Both MIllar and Ennis are surprisingly good at writing Superman though.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Timeless Appeal posted:

Both MIllar and Ennis are surprisingly good at writing Superman though.

I'll agree with that. Ennis wrote one of the best Superman stories I ever read in Hitman #34.

I never got into Crossed much. The one story I read some of the way through was "Wish You Were Here" set in Great Britain and published for free on Warren Ellis's old WhiteChapel message forum. It mostly seemed like Zombies with more "pron/evil" in it.

Though I did have bit of fun with it on a thing for this Libertarian-inclined Zombie game called "Outbreak: Undead." The idea of the game as I recall it was to play "tough badasses" and/or "normal people" who have to get away from the zombies and eventually build some kind of apocalypse bunker. So there was a lot of talk about guns and the like. The game even had the terrible idea of allowing players to "rate themselves" and thus play themselves in the game.

I asked them how to simulate the Crossed zombies in their game. They didn't know what Crossed was, so I posted one of the pics from WYWH - one of the Crossed raping a dolphin through it's blowhole. Of course I got a huge amount of pushback about how "real zombies don't do that" and Crossed otherwise went over like a fart in a little old ladies sewing circle.

Another bit with Crossed that was a thing was a Remake/Remodel called "Celebrity Crossed." There were a lot amateur and part-time professional artists that frequented that board. Remake/Remake was the idea of designing or redesigning some character. And of course Crossed was basically "the most evil, impulsive version of a person." So there was a Marilyn Monroe Crossed and bunch of others, but my favorite is and always will bit this one:

Everyone fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Apr 9, 2021

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Hahaha. That is pretty good.

I never really enjoyed the main Crossed (a friend got me the original miniseries, and I never read anything more in the main series) but I did like the future sequel that Alan Moore (of all people) did.

I have to say, I don't really follow either of their personal lives that closely, but my sense has always been that Ennis is much more of a decent person than Millar is.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Snowman_McK posted:

Ennis absolutely needs an editor (the Boys is so loving long)

I dunno if its on Ennis or the editors - Boys was one of the main non-license property hits for Dynamite so it is likely they encouraged Ennis, Robertson and friend to make more and more and do spinoffs.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Ennis is also, whatever other complaints you can make about him, one of the best dialogue writers in comics, something that is decidedly not one of Millar's strengths.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Who would you rather hang out with - Millar or.....

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Ennis is also, whatever other complaints you can make about him, one of the best dialogue writers in comics, something that is decidedly not one of Millar's strengths.
Yeah, people can say whatever they want about Ennis, but I think about that "Miss" moment every now and then and goddamn.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mordiceius posted:

Do I get to punch them repeatedly

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

Millar.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Darko posted:

Millar.

Yeah, no question. At least Millar might have some interesting stories. Conversing with Whedon would be excruciating.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

I decided to give Jupiter's Legacy a read after watching the trailer and hoo-boy that was some dog poo poo lmao.

I'm kind of interested in watching now if only to see some of the really nonsensical poo poo come to life if they even get there.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The movie was so bad I don't even know why you would bother. Waste of all the actors imho.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Jupiter Ascending rules, you just have to roll with it. I was completely sold on it after the big dogfight over Chicago.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Safety Factor posted:

Jupiter Ascending rules, you just have to roll with it. I was completely sold on it after the big dogfight over Chicago.

It was so bad.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Jupiter Ascending is very good and also very not Jupiter's Legacy.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

josh04 posted:

Hahahaha, oops.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

josh04 posted:

Quoted from a review on the old, now-defunct Warren Ellis Freakangels site:

quote:

So I saw Jupiter Ascending and it was like Dune and Star Wars got drunk and had a love child and the baby was left on the doorstep of a lovely couple that was really into Traveler and Shadowrun and that baby grew up to be a movie and I mean this in the best possible way.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Timeless Appeal posted:

Yeah, people can say whatever they want about Ennis, but I think about that "Miss" moment every now and then and goddamn.

Which comment is this? I'm drawing a blank.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

josh04 posted:

Hahaha, fantastic!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I just watched Captain America 1 for the first time and I know the answer to this is probably “for the plot” but is there a reason why the Red Skull’s bomber was allowed to take off at the end of the movie? I mean Tommy Lee Jones drives his car right under the bomber so close that Steve had to duck under the propellers and iirc it made sparks hitting his shield on his back. It seems like they could have just disabled the plane and let it crash into the alps.

And if Steve could pilot the plane to make it nosedive into Greenland or whatever why couldn’t he just make the plane fly in circles until they figured out a better plan?

Again I understand the answer is probably “cause the plot” but both of these things seem like someone should have brought it up at the writer’s table.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I just watched Captain America 1 for the first time and I know the answer to this is probably “for the plot” but is there a reason why the Red Skull’s bomber was allowed to take off at the end of the movie? I mean Tommy Lee Jones drives his car right under the bomber so close that Steve had to duck under the propellers and iirc it made sparks hitting his shield on his back. It seems like they could have just disabled the plane and let it crash into the alps.

And if Steve could pilot the plane to make it nosedive into Greenland or whatever why couldn’t he just make the plane fly in circles until they figured out a better plan?

Again I understand the answer is probably “cause the plot” but both of these things seem like someone should have brought it up at the writer’s table.

That first bit is a legitimate plot hole, I guess. Tommy Lee Jones' character just loves life too much to kamikaze :v: I think they didn't quite know about the extent of the bomber's capacity, either, so there was no pressing need to self-sacrifice just yet.

As for the second question, I think there was an autopilot which would have gone back on course if Cap had turned left, so to speak.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

yeah I just watched it again last night coincidentally, they find out about it’s capabilities and what Red Skull has planned once Cap gets on board. There’s a scene where he first climbs up into the plane and sees the various superbomb things with “Chicago” “Boston” and *dramatic musical sting* “New York” written on them. Up til then the urgency is I think mostly based on making sure Skull doesn’t get away again. I think the little Nazi scientist guy told them Red Skull has super technology and wants to wipe everything out, but I don’t think they specifically knew that was happening like right now, with the bombs on THAT plane he was leaving in.

the crashing thing is still pretty dumb. presumably there’s an auto-pilot which we see Skull manually engage at one point with a big button that says Auto-Pilot On/Off, but Cap never actually mentions it I don’t think, or whether he can turn it off. There’s no reason to think it’ll turn itself back on anyway, especially since we see Skull manually have to turn it back on to prevent the plane crashing earlier in the fight scene. Or even that Cap doesn’t turn it off himself anyway, which he must have since he crashes the plane himself and the auto-pilot doesn’t stop him. Cap just says the landing gear is hosed so he can’t put the plane down safely.

there’s no real reason provided he couldn’t have just flown in circles, or jammed the stick and bailed, or actually just dumped the bombs manually over the Arctic which were like half bomb half weird mini propellor jet craft that seemed to require manual piloting based on the scene where Cap rides one and hijacks it. presumably he expected the plane to probably explode anyway with him in it so it’s not like there’s concern for whatever damage the bombs might do to the icecaps or whatever.

I guess it’s all beside the point though, since it’s probably meant to parallel Steve jumping on the grenade at basic training. That was pretty unnecessary and didn’t make sense either, but he did it because he’s selfless and doesn’t make those calculations about his own survival at all or second guess his decisions to act I guess.

you do have to wonder how many people at that Smithsonian museum were like “so he couldn’t just jam the stick or...?” though

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Mandrel posted:

yeah I just watched it again last night coincidentally, they find out about it’s capabilities and what Red Skull has planned once Cap gets on board. There’s a scene where he first climbs up into the plane and sees the various superbomb things with “Chicago” “Boston” and *dramatic musical sting* “New York” written on them. Up til then the urgency is I think mostly based on making sure Skull doesn’t get away again. I think the little Nazi scientist guy told them Red Skull has super technology and wants to wipe everything out, but I don’t think they specifically knew that was happening like right now, with the bombs on THAT plane he was leaving in.

the crashing thing is still pretty dumb. presumably there’s an auto-pilot which we see Skull manually engage at one point with a big button that says Auto-Pilot On/Off, but Cap never actually mentions it I don’t think, or whether he can turn it off. There’s no reason to think it’ll turn itself back on anyway, especially since we see Skull manually have to turn it back on to prevent the plane crashing earlier in the fight scene. Or even that Cap doesn’t turn it off himself anyway, which he must have since he crashes the plane himself and the auto-pilot doesn’t stop him. Cap just says the landing gear is hosed so he can’t put the plane down safely.

there’s no real reason provided he couldn’t have just flown in circles, or jammed the stick and bailed, or actually just dumped the bombs manually over the Arctic which were like half bomb half weird mini propellor jet craft that seemed to require manual piloting based on the scene where Cap rides one and hijacks it. presumably he expected the plane to probably explode anyway with him in it so it’s not like there’s concern for whatever damage the bombs might do to the icecaps or whatever.

I guess it’s all beside the point though, since it’s probably meant to parallel Steve jumping on the grenade at basic training. That was pretty unnecessary and didn’t make sense either, but he did it because he’s selfless and doesn’t make those calculations about his own survival at all or second guess his decisions to act I guess.

you do have to wonder how many people at that Smithsonian museum were like “so he couldn’t just jam the stick or...?” though

I think Tommy Lee Jones was trying to prove a point with the grenade scene. Either he thought his favorite pick was going to be heroic and jump on the grenade or he thought Steve was going to run away (like everyone else) and Tommy Lee Jones would turn to the scientist and say "see, he has no courage and is useless to me also please ignore the fact that everyone else also ducked for cover."

e: Also I think those weird piloted bombs were inspired by the real life V-1 weapons, which weren't piloted but they did try to make a piloted version at some point.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 11, 2021

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Mandrel posted:

What were all of the capabilities of that bomber? Not what capabilities did it show, but all of its capabilities? We don't know. And Steve didn't know either. Would jamming the stick/flying circles have worked? Probably as far as we know, but we don't know everything. Maybe there was some super-special HYDRA fail-safe that would have rendered Steve a helpless passenger riding the plane to witness New York's destruction. Steve didn't know what else the plane could do. He didn't know how to disarm or just drop the bombs. He didn't even know how to safely land the plane. But he knew enough to be able to crash and crash somewhere in which the only human life lost would be his.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mandrel posted:

Jumping on a grenade to take the full blast yourself and save your squad was an incredibly popular trope in old "manly tales of war heroism" pulp stories back in the day

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

It did happen though, there's a Canadian Heritage Minute dedicated to a solider that fought in Hong Kong during the Japanese invasion that did exactly that, got himself a posthumous Victoria Cross for it too

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Aces High posted:

It did happen though, there's a Canadian Heritage Minute dedicated to a solider that fought in Hong Kong during the Japanese invasion that did exactly that, got himself a posthumous Victoria Cross for it too

That was a newfoundland dog :canada: rip Sgt Gander

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Aces High posted:

Mythbusters even did an episode about it because they were skeptical it would work and were surprised when it proved to be pretty effective

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Blood Boils posted:

That was a newfoundland dog :canada: rip Sgt Gander

not sure if you're joking or not https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Robert_Osborn
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPLyGYhbedE

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Aces High posted:

It's what a lot of Medal of Honor recipients did as well.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

https://cdnhistorybits.wordpress.com/2015/03/03/gander-the-dog-a-canadian-war-hero/

Blood Boils fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Apr 12, 2021

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Mythbusters even did an episode about it because they were skeptical it would work and were surprised when it proved to be pretty effective

I guess it makes sense. Explosion suppressant foams are a thing and peoples insides are basically foam*.

*may not actually be true

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Schwarzwald posted:

I guess it makes sense. Explosion suppressant foams are a thing and peoples insides are basically foam*.

*may not actually be true

Also generally the fatalities from a grenade are from the shrrapnel not the explosion itself, and shockingly if a human body covers the grenade most of the shrapnel ends inside the body.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Lord_Magmar posted:

Also generally the fatalities from a grenade are from the shrrapnel not the explosion itself, and shockingly if a human body covers the grenade most of the shrapnel ends inside the body.

Yeah and the kill range for a regular grenade is surprisingly small. An average human body surrounding one would save everyone else, almost guaranteed. They don't even have the wave of internal organ liquification that you get from HE, so one person is gonna absorb all of that. Hell, put a decent amount of material between you and the grenade (like a backpack) and you could probably live through it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There was a more comic version of this story, albeit darkly comic. A guy stuffed his own butt with bombs to make himself a suicide bomber. When he triggered it, his body almost completely absorbed the blast, so he just sort of...sat down.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

Yeah and the kill range for a regular grenade is surprisingly small. An average human body surrounding one would save everyone else, almost guaranteed. They don't even have the wave of internal organ liquification that you get from HE, so one person is gonna absorb all of that. Hell, put a decent amount of material between you and the grenade (like a backpack) and you could probably live through it.

That exact thing actually happened in 2008 :eng101:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Croucher

quote:

Croucher was recommended for the award for throwing himself on a Taliban tripwire grenade to save his comrades. He was part of a reconnaissance mission near Sangin in Helmand Province in Afghanistan on 9 February 2008. Moving through a compound at night he felt a trip-wire against his leg and saw that he had activated a grenade. He threw himself to the ground, and used his rucksack to pin the grenade to the floor, and tucked his legs up to his body. He was thrown some distance by the explosion, but due to the protection offered by his rucksack and body-armour, suffered only a nose-bleed, perforated ear drums and some disorientation. The pack was ripped from his back by the explosion, and his body armour and helmet were pitted by grenade fragments. Of the other three members of his patrol, the rear man managed to take cover by retreating round the corner of a building; the patrol commander threw himself to ground, and received a superficial face wound from a grenade fragment; and the final team member did not have time to react, and remained on his feet, and would have been within the lethal range of the grenade but for Croucher's action. The explosion breached a large lithium battery which was in Croucher's pack to power the patrol's electronic countermeasures equipment, causing it to burst into flames. A medic recommended that he be evacuated, but he insisted on continuing as the members of the patrol realised that Taliban fighters would probably come to investigate the explosion, and this would give the marines the opportunity to ambush them; the ambush was successful, and Croucher himself killed a Taliban fighter.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Snowman_McK posted:

There was a more comic version of this story, albeit darkly comic. A guy stuffed his own butt with bombs to make himself a suicide bomber. When he triggered it, his body almost completely absorbed the blast, so he just sort of...sat down.

...good lord.

edit: At first I read this as there being a comic book version of this story. I was wondering what hosed up writer wrote this. Not sure if this is better or worse.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I want to read about that story cause that sounds insane but I also don't wanna get put on the no-fly list for searching for "effects of suicide bomb in rectum explosion."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Snowman_McK posted:

Sounds like he had a bad case of explosive diarrhea