Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I just found out Streets of Rage 4 had DLC announced for it but they didn't give it a release date? Talk about cruelty :rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Dune is supposed to come out this year, which makes me wonder if we'll see either a steam release of the older games, or maybe even a remastered version of them. I'm less excited for a newer one, though at least my fear of a bad Tell Tale Dune game won't happen.

A "Emperor: Battle for Dune" remaster would be awesome.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Emperor still looks fairly good for a RTS game but the pathfinding is so late 90s it hurts.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Captain Walker posted:

loving frustrated

A couple weeks ago I was trying to launch Deus Ex: Invisible war and it kept giving me an error: "could not connect to Steam."
I restarted and cleared the network cache and Steam started giving me an error: "could not connect to Steam network."
I tried launching into offline mode. Nothing. I tried all the other poo poo like adding firewall exceptions, resetting my network with ipconfig and netsh, restarting and reinstalling. Nothing. Deleting \package worked once, after which Steam would download the update and reconnect, but I would have to do so every time.
I finally deleted everything in the folder except steam.exe, \steamapps, and \userdata. Now Steam doesn't even download the latest update, it immediately spits out "NOT CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET, FUCKO" and crashes.

I'm at the end of my fuckin' rope here. Help me goons you're my only hope!!*

*i'm so hosed, aren't i

I would be hitting the torrents with a clear conscience at this point

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Have you tried uninstalling Deus Ex: Invisible War? :rimshot:

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

SimonChris posted:

Have you tried uninstalling Deus Ex: Invisible War? :rimshot:

Can't do that without going through the Steam client :negative:

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Propaganda Hour posted:

I bought Nebuchadnezzar about two months ago and also gave up around mission 6. I came back to it in the 1.1 patch from this week and the freeplay mode is nice, but you're right that there is a lot of awkwardness in the game for no payoff. It's less supply chain management and more supply yard management, if that makes sense to anyone. You aren't innovating on basic materials, turning them from one item to another up some complicated supply chain. You're just ferrying items from manufacture to the market via supply yards. It tries so hard to mimic the aesthetic of Pharaoh and Caesar, but the lack of religion, military, social policies, natural disasters, seasonality, and even level variety is stark. Hell, they JUST added a finance menu. It feels like an early access game 10-12 months from launch. I guess the best thing you can say is that it was only $20.

It is surprising to read all of this. The game seems to not have progressed at all from the moment it was even announced 2 years ago to today. You'd think even a few rudimentary systems would have been implemented or they would be more forthright with the game's state.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Today in Farm Sim, it's OSHA time! Yes, the woodchipper is on.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Propaganda Hour posted:

Presumably yes. Warcraft III: Remastered was outsourced to Malaysian Lemon Sky Studios, which is a 300-350 person art and animation studio known for extreme crunch so they can take on contracts for dozens of projects. Diablo II is being tackled by the 200-person NY-based Vicarious Visions which has been subsidiary to Activision since 2005 and recently folded into Blizzard proper to work just on Blizzard projects. Lots more staff on one project and much closer to Blizzard.

When Blizzard decided to throw Lemon Sky under the bus to cover their own asses, guess you believed them.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Like yeah the art outsourcing business in Malaysia's got problems but they don't actually develop these games.

They also did work for FF14 Stormblood and Shadowbringers and knocked it out if the park because, at the very least, that games dev team was at least willing to work with them.

Orv
May 4, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

Today in Farm Sim, it's OSHA time! Yes, the woodchipper is on.

The ol' Steve Buscemi.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Orv posted:

The ol' Steve Buscemi.

Who?

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

An actor, the movie it's a reference to is Fargo.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Orv posted:

The ol' Steve Buscemi.

Are we square?

Are we square?!?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

wtf

Orv
May 4, 2011

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Sonel posted:

An actor, the movie it's a reference to is Fargo.

Oh, huh. Never seen it. Thanks for the explanation.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Somebody admitting that not only have they never seen Fargo, but also that they are entirely unaware of its events through even cultural osmosis is like...it's like somebody admitting they've never heard of air! Never tasted water. Never felt their own skin!

It's ridiculous. Preposterous. I'm dizzy from it.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Somebody admitting that not only have they never seen Fargo, but also that they are entirely unaware of its events through even cultural osmosis is like...it's like somebody admitting they've never heard of air! Never tasted water. Never felt their own skin!

Oh, geez...

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Fargo came out in 1996.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i've never seen or cared about the big lebowski personally

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

The 7th Guest posted:

I've seen it, loved it at the time, couldn't give you a single reason why it's regarded so well nowadays.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

The 7th Guest posted:

I’m imagining you watching The Jesus Rolls (2019) and being completely lost as a result. It is exasperating. Like nails on the chalkboard of my brain.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Fargo came out in 1996.

Shut your goddamn mouth.

:negative:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

like i'd watch anything other than trashy horror movies! now if there were more steam games like dario argento or umberto lenzi movies, i'd be all about that

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I've never seen The Goonies, American History X, or The Breakfast Club

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Wamdoodle posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsSM_YyZ3uU

In case you were unaware, DMX has passed on.
Also made a version that gets to the point:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rn1hGOtvflk

(Even though I've really enjoyed SuperGreatFriend's voice acting turn as the ginger detective)

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

yikes

https://twitter.com/the_secret_club/status/1380868759129296900

https://twitter.com/the_secret_club/status/1380960120725733376

https://twitter.com/the_secret_club/status/1381201949647904768

Orv
May 4, 2011
Sweet sweet sweet sweet sweet.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Azran posted:

I just found out Streets of Rage 4 had DLC announced for it but they didn't give it a release date? Talk about cruelty :rip:

Lack of a release date makes me think it will probably release in the summer, although it really can't come soon enough!!

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I’d like to direct everybody’s attention to the fact that the aforementioned Bed and Breakfast game is not on Source engine, and is therefore immune to these frightening exploits.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

exquisite tea posted:

Lack of a release date makes me think it will probably release in the summer, although it really can't come soon enough!!

With this plus Shredder's Revenge! I'm so glad Beat em ups are coming back

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I’d like to direct everybody’s attention to the fact that the aforementioned Bed and Breakfast game is not on Source engine, and is therefore immune to these frightening exploits.

This alone makes it worth the premium to play it. :homebrew:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Fargin Icehole posted:

With this plus Shredder's Revenge! I'm so glad Beat em ups are coming back

It’s a fun genre but a lot of the old ones don’t have a lot of actual options in combat so I’m psyched that modernized ones are around to give me an experience that feels like how I remember them playing.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The fix will come in the form of a lootbox

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

This isn't even a first for Valve, they have a long history of ignoring critical security bugs until they start getting mainstream press

They didn't even have a bug bounty program until a few years ago, and now they do but the reports are just being ignored, or the bounty paid but the bug never fixed

repiv fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 11, 2021

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

On one of those exploits (the Steam invite one):

https://twitter.com/floesen_/status/1381242957639118851

lol what?

And as said above, Valve has a really bad history for this kind of stuff.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
All you have to do to understand how well Valve's org structure is working is opt into the Steam beta client.

There's a reason that just about the only example of a flat organization is a relatively young one that built a huge momentum advantage before any competition entered, and even then it only really succeeded because for a time it had a conscience instilled in it by an overlord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

orcane posted:

Emperor still looks fairly good for a RTS game but the pathfinding is so late 90s it hurts.

Flimf posted:

A "Emperor: Battle for Dune" remaster would be awesome.

Yea, that's the one I was thinking of most. It wasn't so bad when you had open spaces, but any places that had any kind terrain you'll need to be ready to watch all your walkers get stuck.