Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

please knock Mom! posted:

we have leftism at home

Leftism at home:

https://www2.deloitte.com/us/en/pages/about-deloitte/articles/citizenship-deloitte-volunteer-impact-research.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

ok, cool, what can an exploited worker do to not contribute to the exploitation of workers? find a separate supply chain of good and services where the excess value of their labor is returned to them?

don't worry, captain neoliberal is here to save the day with voting with our wallets! my loving $3k of shopping a year is going to collapse amazon, target and walmart when i go spend it at costco to buy the same goddamn things that the other places sold.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

while we are moralizing and acting like terminally online idiots, what is the most evil corporation? ExxonMobil, Nestle, Monsanto, DuPont, Philip Morris and Halliburton come to mind for me as being more evil than Amazon but I’m probably missing some obvious ones. of course this is dumb to assign morality to a corporation but lol

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

indigi posted:

nobody loves Amazon prime you absolute dipshit

What's the difference between what you're saying and what someone would say as a cognitive dissonance solution because they just actually love using amazon and can't imagine giving it up? I can't think of any which is why I can't take that side. I would just question my own motives too much and it'd freak me out.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
congrats on admitting you’re stupid I guess

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I didn't think that you'd have an answer.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

my answer is that you’ve admitted your brain is too small to think two related but different things about the same topic so why would I elaborate

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

haha, you fake leftists bought a toothbrush with 267 units of evil, but my toothbrush only has 253 UoE! my $1.99 contributed to less suffering than yours, get hosed nerds

gently caress amazon, gently caress every huge corp, don't give them money if you can help it

but you're not some bastion of morality because you bought your chicken nuggets at a bodega or winco

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i buy my factory farmed meat at a farmers market :smug:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

the revelation that poster shops at cvs is too perfect lol

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

jetz0r posted:

haha, you fake leftists bought a toothbrush with 267 units of evil, but my toothbrush only has 253 UoE! my $1.99 contributed to less suffering than yours, get hosed nerds

gently caress amazon, gently caress every huge corp, don't give them money if you can help it

but you're not some bastion of morality because you bought your chicken nuggets at a bodega or winco

I understand what people are saying. You have to interact with capitalism to survive and there's no "right" thing to do. But understanding that and getting on with it is different than jumping on someone for trying to do the right thing. If people want to boycott amazon good. gently caress them and that's it.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Salt Fish posted:

I understand what people are saying. You have to interact with capitalism to survive and there's no "right" thing to do. But understanding that and getting on with it is different than jumping on someone for trying to do the right thing. If people want to boycott amazon good. gently caress them and that's it.

we jumped on that idiot because they tried to gatekeep all of leftism, dumbass

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Salt Fish posted:

jumping on someone for trying to do the right thing

they aren’t trying to do the “right” thing, and they even admitted that. they’re trying to do the “.001% less bad” thing and act as if that’s unimpeachable moral superiority

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I'm talking about actionjackon's posts I didn't read any of the posts by muscle wizard because I suspect their avatar might be horny.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Muscle Wizard posted:

i get the medication i need to not die from cvs. youre afraid of losing your two day shipping.

lol

the whole loving point is that we're stuck in an immoral system. you're not suddenly becoming good because you consume differently.

the world is not a better place because you bought your pfizer dick pills from cvs instead of walgreens or amazon. every single choice you had was bad, you picked a bad one, and you're loving crowing about how great it is that you spent money at a mid level capitalist corporation instead of a capitalist megacorp?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

you just need to be an informed consumer guys. you should just have an expert level knowledge on the supply chain to make sure the seafood you buy isn't slave harvested from a protected area, the chocolate you buy isn't picked by children, the coconuts you buy aren't from monkeys, the beef was treated kindly, the chickens could walk around freely. make sure your fruits and vegetables weren't picked by exploited immigrants. make sure every single thing you buy doesn't have palm oil from deforested areas. make sure the metals in your car were ethically sourced. then you can pick the right retailer at the very end of the system. if you don't do all this research you're a bad leftist

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

PokeJoe posted:

you just need to be an informed consumer guys. you should just have an expert level knowledge on the supply chain to make sure the seafood you buy isn't slave harvested from a protected area, the chocolate you buy isn't picked by children, the coconuts you buy aren't from monkeys, the beef was treated kindly, the chickens could walk around freely. make sure your fruits and vegetables weren't picked by exploited immigrants. make sure every single thing you buy doesn't have palm oil from deforested areas. make sure the metals in your car were ethically sourced. then you can pick the right retailer at the very end of the system. if you don't do all this research you're a bad leftist

All the scrutiny on Amazon distribution centers actually did force them to raise wages to 15/hr and led directly to a serious unionization effort.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
I live in a tent (made of animal hide I tanned myself) and eat leftover Soviet MREs and collect rainwater, it’s not that hard guys you must just love capitalism

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 3 days!)

jetz0r posted:

im a vegetarian can i be smug

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Salt Fish posted:

All the scrutiny on Amazon distribution centers actually did force them to raise wages to 15/hr and led directly to a serious unionization effort.

was that the result of a boycott or bad press?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Peanut President posted:

I mean otherwise what’s the loving point?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

PokeJoe posted:

was that the result of a boycott or bad press?

I think bad press, social media criticism, political pressure and boycotts are all connected. When you see chuds posting about boycotting coke they know that the actual market pressure is nothing, but the social media backlash can make things happen. If they can generate a meme that ted cruz wants to latch onto they might end up with an actual change taking place.

I view boycotts like propaganda. It's just to get people talking about it. I know Amazon issues crazy press releases and gets all worked up about mean tweets, we saw that on the amazonnews twitter account this month. I think at the executive level they are operating under some illusion of being normal people and it bugs them to see wide swaths of the internet talking poo poo about them, and then combined with political pressure like from Bernie on the $15/hr they end up giving up some ground to try to placate people.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Peanut President posted:

Time to become vegan, you chicken exploiter.

Harm reduction through consumption is something I try to do, so I'm vegan and don't buy anything from Nestle or Coca-Cola. So many corporations are arguably the most evil, but Nestle killing thousands of babies every year and Coca-Cola sending mercenaries to kill union organizers stand out.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Salt Fish posted:

All the scrutiny on Amazon distribution centers actually did force them to raise wages to 15/hr

I refuse to believe this was done for any reason other than them trying to cap all possible pay raises in the future forever, with a side of them trying to gently caress over other companies somehow

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Shame Boy posted:

I refuse to believe this was done for any reason other than them trying to cap all possible pay raises in the future forever, with a side of them trying to gently caress over other companies somehow

It allows them to monopolize the workforce in the places they put their DCs. If they are the only people in town offering "good" jobs, they have extreme leverage over local government.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Salt Fish posted:

I'm talking about actionjackon's posts I didn't read any of the posts by muscle wizard because I suspect their avatar might be horny.

Fair.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Salt Fish posted:

You have to interact with capitalism to survive and there's no "right" thing to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rsz-_fgWspo

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

You cannot be a leftist if you exchange american dollars for goods and services

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

jetz0r posted:

can i buy credits to offset my UoE emission? i want to be a good leftist

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

indigi posted:

but you’re not better than anyone else

wrong, I am much better than succdems like my neighbors who can easily afford to shop elsewhere, but still get everything at Amazon, while also complaining about how horrible Amazon is

edit: I go to Target, but that's a requirement of being a citizen of the people's republic of Minnesota

actionjackson has issued a correction as of 03:47 on Apr 12, 2021

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Leftism is when you loudly shout at other people about which specific evil capitalist you give your money to. Lenin very famously wrote about how consumerism is the primary battleground and having the right logo your random garbage is the true mark of a committed revolutionary.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I’m doing leftism every time I buy my video games from Best Buy instead of having them shipped from Amazon

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

gay_crimes posted:

I’m doing leftism every time I buy my video games from Best Buy instead of having them shipped from Amazon

that's right

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I keep trying to same day delivery communism from Amazon but they're all out of stock

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Can you buy a union through Amazon? If not then they don't have everything. :smuggo:

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Tried to order a next-day air Naxalite militia and now I’m on a list please help

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009

actionjackson posted:

wrong, I am much better than succdems like my neighbors who can easily afford to shop elsewhere, but still get everything at Amazon, while also complaining about how horrible Amazon is

edit: I go to Target, but that's a requirement of being a citizen of the people's republic of Minnesota

The real leftists go to Cub foods :smug:

(you're right though, loving Targets every five foot)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Zil posted:

Can you buy a union through Amazon? If not then they don't have everything. :smuggo:

https://www.amazon.com/Union-Arranged-Mafia-Marriage-Romance-ebook/dp/B08TBD5TF4/ref=sr_1_3

Union: An Arranged Mafia Marriage Romance Kindle Edition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Colonel Cancer posted:

I keep trying to same day delivery communism from Amazon but they're all out of stock

Alibaba, but it's a minimum of 2000 units