Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

But for real tho I've wirebugged into a ton of poo poo, but it's fun so who cares!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
My crew spent time today getting our third up in HR, had a lot of fun with HBG actually! I'd spent most of my time so far learning Long Sword but I still need more practice with counters so I switched it up to kinda stay out of the fight a bit more and I'm really digging how much mobility I get with the wirebug actions now versus earlier entries. The Rakna HBG actually has some insanely low recoil and reload so adding skills to further improve those almost feels like having wyvernheart ammo at times.

My other favorite part of these games is chilling out solo afterwards and just doing gathering missions while listening to music or having a show on listen to. Hopefully they never streamline the game so far as to take that part out completely!

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

monster is standing still, panting from stamina exhaustion

i charge up a wirebug attack

the second i get in the air it attacks and knocks me down for half my health

sixteen times a fight

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

sixteen times a fight

The vertical hit boxes in this game are both horseshit and completely inconsistent.

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

I don’t bring a dog on any hunts because I recognize cat supremacy with regards to farming, but it is always hilarious to see Rajang running around with someone else’s dog chomped onto his rear end.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

sixteen times a fight

Hell yeah

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Blockhouse posted:

Yeah when Anjanath turns into a giant running hitbox wirebugging is a good way to get yourself hosed

giant running homing hitbox

His face drag can pivot like 90 degrees now

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I will say that after the first two weeks or so, I see a significant number of people bring cats into hunts instead of dogs

e: also I did the final boss and if you use bowgun in multiplayer its pretty fun. Rampages are also really fun just with how wacky they are

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Wirebugs are so fun and central to how I get around. I'm really surprised to hear that they're a new feature.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Anyone else have the issue where the game wont let you wirebug recovery? Im not stunned or paralyzed or anything else, but the game will put little X's over the wirebug symbols and wont let me recover till I stand up

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Wirebugs are so fun and central to how I get around. I'm really surprised to hear that they're a new feature.

The series has done some pretty radical reimagining of base features over time. Like Monster Hunter Tri/3Ultimate had a whole fleshed out underwater combat with some monsters that were uniquely fought only underwater and some that had amphibious phases.

Also there was literally no verticality in maps until 4U and no connected world map until World so it was a lot faster to get around since each map had between 10-17 areas of 'greatest hits' to fight in analogous to the places monsters will retreat to in Rise.

Like take a look at Flooded Forest during its first appearance in 3U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-75HB6Eebo

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
A friend doesn't bring dogs to hunts anymore. Being a little faster on the ground doesn't make up for another set of tools in the fight.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

The underwater Greatsword moveset has some of the best sense of weight I have ever seen in this series, and that's saying a lot. I wish they would revisit and retool underwater hunting if only so that we could experience some absolutely batshit animation work in a 3D hunting space. Something that would make Generations look boring.

mirror123
Jan 17, 2006
rice barrel

Kokoro Wish posted:

A friend doesn't bring dogs to hunts anymore. Being a little faster on the ground doesn't make up for another set of tools in the fight.

I'm still pretty bad at this so I end up riding the dog to use items and sharpen my weapon during combat. Do people just get good enough that they don't need to do that or they are able to find big enough openings for it? Every time I've tried to drink on foot I'd get rushed down.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

mirror123 posted:

I'm still pretty bad at this so I end up riding the dog to use items and sharpen my weapon during combat. Do people just get good enough that they don't need to do that or they are able to find big enough openings for it? Every time I've tried to drink on foot I'd get rushed down.

Openings (like when people are Riding) there's also skills the reduce sharpness loss/give you more sharpness.

Also the gunlance can sharpen with wirebug counters.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

mirror123 posted:

80% of the time I just wirebug up a cliff side which takes me immediately out of combat and I can just drop down to be immediately back in. The other times when there's no cliffside you just have to run around like a chicken until the bar fills up. You can hold r and run faster when drinking potions which helps a lot. Sharpening stuff it's really worth it to get out of combat

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Been playing a lot of LBG in the post game and noticed a few weird changes from world, mainly no longer being able to craft while reloading and status ammo level 2 now taking catalyst to craft (and I think you're not able to buy level 2 status ammo now unless I didn't unlock it somehow)

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Wildtortilla posted:

I love that with my GL setup I can block Mizutsune’s roar.

Countering roars is one of my favorite things about Lance. Works for either of the silkbug counters, too.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Been playing a lot of LBG in the post game and noticed a few weird changes from world, mainly no longer being able to craft while reloading and status ammo level 2 now taking catalyst to craft (and I think you're not able to buy level 2 status ammo now unless I didn't unlock it somehow)

Yeah I just ditched the weapon I was using because catalysts are really inefficient to farm for status lv2 ammo and am now going Tigrex cluster gun

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

mirror123 posted:

Two of the weapons I’ve spent the most time with don’t require sharpening :getin:

But yeah I just wait until a zone change or if I’m down to orange, wait for it to be distracted by my friends

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Finally got a WEX2 talisman! Only one slot and the second skill is trash though. How crucial is weakness exploit? My builds have been fine so far but I've never gotten this deep into a Monster Hunter before.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

The Postman posted:

Finally got a WEX2 talisman! Only one slot and the second skill is trash though. How crucial is weakness exploit? My builds have been fine so far but I've never gotten this deep into a Monster Hunter before.

I mean, you've beaten the game without it at this point so

WEX is only really useful for cranking your damage up to farm faster, but still not totally essential. Ive got notes about a ton of bowgun builds and none of them use it just because other utility skills are more useful

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Finally found the time to cruise through and do all the village quests. Weird completionist spot in my brain wouldn't let me jump into the hub stuff until I finished all the village stuff. Found someone doing the Apex Arzuros fight so got to knock that out and open up HR and Decos and things like that. Any advice at this point? Anything I should know about Decos or whatever this melding pot thing is? Best bet if I don't have my own monster huntin' crew is to cruise lobbies lookin' for people running through the same star missions I am or is there a better way to go about it?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I have a 2 WEX with one 1-size slot and nothing else and I can't think of a situation where I'd use it right now. I'd honestly prefer a 1 WEX with lots of slots or another utility skill, that'd fit in to what armor can provide a lot easier. I'm glad to have it though.

For Bowgunning I managed to get a 2 Reload Speed charm with three size 1 slots, which basically can "fix" any bowgun that needs better reload or recoil. So most of the rest can be damage stuff, or Guard stuff for HBG. I honestly don't know how essential Guard is, I could probably stand to have a little less of it but I do realize when I am missing it most of the time. It's hard to give up comfiness...

Commissar Ken posted:

Finally found the time to cruise through and do all the village quests. Weird completionist spot in my brain wouldn't let me jump into the hub stuff until I finished all the village stuff. Found someone doing the Apex Arzuros fight so got to knock that out and open up HR and Decos and things like that. Any advice at this point? Anything I should know about Decos or whatever this melding pot thing is? Best bet if I don't have my own monster huntin' crew is to cruise lobbies lookin' for people running through the same star missions I am or is there a better way to go about it?

If you're in your own lobby, even a private one, you can put up quests with "Join Request" and randos will be able to join you, or you can hit up someone else's Join Request through the quest board, so you don't need to hunt alone or deal with social lobby stuff if you don't want to. Just make sure you're ACTUALLY online, and not playing offline, or you'll never find people to play with you since it'll be scanning locally for Switches instead of the net.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

MHW:

I haven't played in awhile and there are a bunch of new dudes. I quit before Safi so I've got alatreon and poo poo to go through..

Other than SJ who is a raid thing are any of the monsters kinda like behemoth where they're always scaled to 4 people and are practically unsoloable? Or can I solo all the dudes if I don't suck good enough.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Anyone else have the issue where the game wont let you wirebug recovery? Im not stunned or paralyzed or anything else, but the game will put little X's over the wirebug symbols and wont let me recover till I stand up

I believe there is a a debuff that does this

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Having played around a bit it honestly feels clunker than mhw, the controls are awful and the tutorials are worse lol, still a lot of fun to play though! It's so dumb that I can put a silencer on the bow gun now lmao, probably sticking with it and long sword again

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Okay I've been converted from Invincible Gambit to Soaring Wyvern Dive. That damage is just too good to pass out.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Folks if you like gimmicky poo poo dual blades cat claws are it:

https://twitter.com/jacsnoodleboy/status/1381054394146332682?s=21

Hellion Mode rampage skills gives it crits on all hits while in demon mode but it uses twice as much sharpness. In comes protective polish and speed sharpening. A single point of handicraft gives it white sharpness

It’s also literally giant cat claws. Skip weakness exploit and critical eye entirely, every hit will be critical. Oh you get to paralyze the monster too.

Oh hey look what Gaijinhunter just uploaded :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzv5QfiJ1gE

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Agent355 posted:

MHW:

I haven't played in awhile and there are a bunch of new dudes. I quit before Safi so I've got alatreon and poo poo to go through..

Other than SJ who is a raid thing are any of the monsters kinda like behemoth where they're always scaled to 4 people and are practically unsoloable? Or can I solo all the dudes if I don't suck good enough.

Everything scales for solo, even Safi'jiva does now (though I still wouldn't recommend it).

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I don't mind being carried by pubs in the raids but I prefer soloing if I can because it feels more like I'm forced to git gud.

Alatreon is kicking my poo poo in tho oof. I don't have safi gear or anything that wasn't in Iceborne on release but I just have to learn these patterns.

Also with rise coming out on consoles I don't even know if people are playing MHW on the PC much anymore so who knows about pubs.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Is there a way to craft evade extender decos? I cant seem to find them in the list.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Is there a way to craft evade extender decos? I cant seem to find them in the list.

Yes, kill tobi-kadachi to unlock it.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I tried bringing cat only to a few hub hunts, and while they're helpful I don't think I can do it again until I get all the giant wirebugs placed and their locations memorized so I don't have to keep checking the map. Took me forever to catch up every time the monster moved to a new area.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Blockhouse posted:

Okay I've been converted from Invincible Gambit to Soaring Wyvern Dive. That damage is just too good to pass out.

it's really good, the main thing is just that it's kinda harder to land and you're more vulnerable during it. the amount of charge it gives your phial is insane. i love all the alternate switch skills for SA. the charging slam instead of the running poke is great for keeping on the aggression and can easily chain into a sword double slash. wyvern dive synergizes really well with your other skills and getting your phial boosted. compressed discharge lets you quickly get off spikes of damage, and you can do the evade reload to get your sword back into fighting shape basically instantly without having to do a manual reload or wait for it to fill back up. everything flows together incredibly well and being able to poo poo out damage with the axe once it's phial-boosted too changes so much. it's seriously like the best incarnation of switch axe i've ever played, and this is even compared to MHGU where it's genuinely broken as poo poo for multiple reasons despite even being nerfed from the transition from MHG to MHGU!

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

once you know what you're doing with wirebugs it's pretty easy to keep with or often beat dog riders to where they're going. worst place is that long slope on the east side of the volcano map, haven't found any good way to get around running all the way up it.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

It seems like the cat weapons have a lot of gimmick builds possible with them. The HBG has Cluster 3 Arc Shot which is nutso

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

It seems like the cat weapons have a lot of gimmick builds possible with them. The HBG has Cluster 3 Arc Shot which is nutso

It is? The Ladybug Mortar does that and I didn't see it as particularly noteworthy - like it's good damage but setting up for clusters is real annoying, especially with friends around

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Tender Bender posted:

I tried bringing cat only to a few hub hunts, and while they're helpful I don't think I can do it again until I get all the giant wirebugs placed and their locations memorized so I don't have to keep checking the map. Took me forever to catch up every time the monster moved to a new area.

I just zoom around by regular wirebugs. I usually arrive a few seconds after the dogs, but I can often beat them depending on the map. I have never memorised any great wirebug locations, but I do use the zoomed in mini-map so I can spot them organically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Alxprit posted:

It is? The Ladybug Mortar does that and I didn't see it as particularly noteworthy - like it's good damage but setting up for clusters is real annoying, especially with friends around

The felyne hbg has cluster 3 with level shot, which changes it from a mortar to a literal rocket launcher. It's extremely fun and pretty effective, although still not multiplayer friendly.