Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

lol Gaijin has a video on the cat claws I posted about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzv5QfiJ1gE

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Folks if you like gimmicky poo poo dual blades cat claws are it:

https://twitter.com/jacsnoodleboy/status/1381054394146332682?s=21

Hellion Mode rampage skills gives it crits on all hits while in demon mode but it uses twice as much sharpness. In comes protective polish and speed sharpening. A single point of handicraft gives it white sharpness

It’s also literally giant cat claws. Skip weakness exploit and critical eye entirely, every hit will be critical. Oh you get to paralyze the monster too.

lol looking at the video it's almost exactly the build I put together.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Apr 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Me: I want to learn all these weapons, they look so cool and neat
Me upon touching a new weapon: Oh god this is so confusing and complex I am just going to retreat to my horn.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Oh no he's using piercing bind in that. I can't believe we have to cancel him.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Saint Freak posted:

Oh no he's using piercing bind in that. I can't believe we have to cancel him.

I already have him blocked for it.

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The long cool down is not worth putting up with when you could have the wirebugs available to dodge through attacks and roars (and if lined up right, will also do a good chunk of damage. It’s like 5-6 hits if they all connect). Kunai is terrible.

mightygerm posted:

Piercing bind doesn't crit, doesn't have elemental damage MVs, and needs a solid opening to use since it steps you back + you need to get the maximum number of hits in during the duration.
Tower Vault gives you midair iframes, which is pretty rare in this game. Also its good on large/flying monsters like the final bosses, it lets you set up some brutal heavenly blade dance. But its really only useful on flying monsters, since shrouded vault does mostly the same thing on the ground.

You can just dodge through roars and attacks the same. You can follow-up piercing with either demon flurry or feral demon mode to close the gap and do damage.

I don't feel that either Piercing or Vault are particularly good but I only take vault regularly for flying enemies and the last boss.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Not without EW i can’t and I can’t fit it in with all these attack decos in the way

(Make EW/EE lvl 1, please Capcom)

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

I'd be happy if the game gave me a better talisman too with some more slots. I can't understand the need for rng hell :negative:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Hy_C posted:

I'd be happy if the game gave me a better talisman too with some more slots. I can't understand the need for rng hell :negative:

How else do you prevent player drop off between now and next content patch?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

pixaal posted:

How else do you prevent player drop off between now and next content patch?

Not even chalking it up to player manipulation, I have beaten the final boss but I want to keep playing. I absolutely could keep killing all these same monsters with my omega perfect gear for no reason but the pleasure of it. But it's nice to chase a plate I don't technically need. It still feels like a game to be rolling random talismans on the off chance I get one that makes my wheels turn. "Oh, but if I have double guard on my talisman now, I don't need this piece of guard armor to get to 3, what could I put in THAT spot to make this build do something slightly different?"

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

My big frustration is that not every skill is on the Moonbow selection list. I'd be fine taking lower potential quality if I could target better.

Like, I want a Protective Polish charm for the cat claws, but you sure as poo poo can't target one!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

is the ideal method for crafting Charms just farming the final boss endlessly lol

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Augus posted:

is the ideal method for crafting Charms just farming the final boss endlessly lol

Currently, yes.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

You can see where the highest tier of weapons will slot in, probably from the late April patch, to the trees on Kiranico.

Narg, Zinogre, and Jyura have the usual named, final looking CBs in the tree already but Tigrex and Diablos, traditionally strong CBs, have only their II versions.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Augus posted:

I've seen the two methods to be (7 Star) Rampage or Final Boss.

Final boss is apparently better if you can manage a fast solo. Rampage seems better if you have friends and don't want to focus too hard? Also you can do Ibushi rampages and use that as fodder on top of the rampage tickets and other monster drops rampages dump on you.

v1ld posted:

You can see where the highest tier of weapons will slot in, probably from the late April patch, to the trees on Kiranico.

Narg, Zinogre, and Jyura have the usual named, final looking CBs in the tree already but Tigrex and Diablos, traditionally strong CBs, have only their II versions.
Where are you seeing this? Named Narg CB is already craftable, unless that's what you meant.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Apr 12, 2021

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

v1ld posted:

Does CB Morphing Advance have iframes or is it only hyper armor?

Everything I see says the latter but I've yet to notice damage when advancing through attacks.

CB silk skills are well designed, fit well with the changes made in Rise. Good control of follow-up attacks after each move, which is neat. Haven't tried out the GP modifying one yet.

CB feels better than it's ever been imo.

The guard point one I think is particularly good since it moves the gp on axe->sword to the very beginning of the move like sword->axe has, and it's not quite as slow as it looks because you can cancel it right when the stab hits.
As cool as it looks, I'm not a fan of the saw in this one. It seems like its just roughly double damage with roughly twice as long animations thanks to the huge hit stop, which World didn't have. I love using the sword too so it makes for a boring playstyle to me.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Augus posted:

I don't like the final boss so I just farm 7-star rampages. v:shobon:v

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Good point on the CB saw animation being twice as long. Phials are easy to get, especially with Load Shells, so that's not a big plus for saw mode in itself.

Will be interesting to see how those individual saw hits factor in elemental damage. It'd be cool if saw was good for elemental, more build variations.

Finished the Goss CB last night and it has ice, will test with it later today.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

I don't like the final boss so I just farm 7-star rampages. v:shobon:v

I've also found people doing 7-star rampages tend to be there for the same reason and things are pretty efficient. I've run into a lot of sketchy final boss hunts where people are encountering it for the first time and get carted once or twice.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

So for those of you well into the endgame, what's the difference between an ok, easy to get charm and a good, rng charm?

From what I read here, sounds like WEX 1 + slots is in the ok category, while WEX 2 + another skill at 3 + slots is in the hard to get category. Which is a difference of 4 slots unless you can get another skill with WEX 1. Can you?

E: assuming that next couple of patches will add in missing decos along with missing weapons in trees. And probably new sources of charms too, or so I hope.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 12, 2021

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I've had enough side materials that I haven't needed to "farm" to meld yet. Gonna open up a christmas pack of 10 full melds soon. I'm not sure what to pursue next, probably elementally-focused dual blades? Maybe try and find a better HBG than the Ladybug (sticky) or Barioth (pierce) one? Though honestly the goal is to clear every quest once as is custom.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I'm new to monster hunting and apparently spent 60 hours with an OP Guardian weapon in MH:World (base - sans Iceborne). Now I'm flailing about the post-story game and trying to use the standard weapons. Am I supposed to use a different weapon type (poison, blast, etc) to target each monster's weakness, or should I pick the coolest looking one and upgrade it as I go? They all seem so weak compared to the Guardian weapons and I spend more time chasing monsters down than poking at them.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I want to like savage axe in Rise, but the ease at which you can lose it makes it a little too much of a hassle for me.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...
Is there not a way to tie a radial menu loadout to an equipment loadout? I thought it would work the same way as World but I keep finding myself with ammo crafting when I need a whetstone. It’s getting pretty frustrating to change between melee and range with the need to go into the start menu to change a 3rd loadout set.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

I'm new to monster hunting and apparently spent 60 hours with an OP Guardian weapon in MH:World (base - sans Iceborne). Now I'm flailing about the post-story game and trying to use the standard weapons. Am I supposed to use a different weapon type (poison, blast, etc) to target each monster's weakness, or should I pick the coolest looking one and upgrade it as I go? They all seem so weak compared to the Guardian weapons and I spend more time chasing monsters down than poking at them.
Sadly you probably hosed up your notions of what good gear is like using the guardian stuff, which they added to let people quickly skip MHW quests to get into Iceborne, you're never gonna reach that high again. But the answer is, it depends on what you want. You can absolutely get by with just one good weapon that you keep upgrading, you might be able to squeeze out more damage heavily playing elemental weaknesses but its not necessary and you'll end up grinding a lot more. I do the former because I don't like grinding. Status is different question, depends more on what kind of weapon you're using.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

Where are you seeing this? Named Narg CB is already craftable, unless that's what you meant.

https://mhrise.kiranico.com/data/weapons?scope=wp&value=9

Yeah, named Narg, Jyura and a few others are craftable. Not so Tigrex, Diablos, a couple of new late game mons - they only have the I and II versions so far.

Rarity 7 only has one level in the tree, they'll probably add the second level in the next patch?

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Spectral Werewolf posted:

Is there not a way to tie a radial menu loadout to an equipment loadout? I thought it would work the same way as World but I keep finding myself with ammo crafting when I need a whetstone. It’s getting pretty frustrating to change between melee and range with the need to go into the start menu to change a 3rd loadout set.

Yeah this was another baffling change to me. You can create specific wheels and assign them to specific directions on the d-pad but then you run into the same issue of constantly having going into the start menu to swap in and out wheels, mostly an issue for gunners since for you only really need one wheel for melee and another wheel for communication but depending on how many ammo types you run between your bowgun sets it can balloon pretty quickly

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

The inventory UI has taken some steps back from World. World let you swap item positions easily, whereas doing that here involves juggling back and forth into the other container. World lets you move one of an item with R and all with Zr, here it's an awkward menu with pop-up to count. There's more like this.

Not a fan of the Y menu, feels a bit clunky. World handled this better.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

v1ld posted:

The inventory UI has taken some steps back from World. World let you swap item positions easily, whereas doing that here involves juggling back and forth into the other container.

To make your life easier on this, get all the items you want out of storage, then back out of that interface and go into your item box via the Start menu interface. You can swap item positions easily that way, and then go back to the chest to save the loadout, which will also save the positions.

E: autocorrect errors.

Shine fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 12, 2021

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

lets hang out posted:

once you know what you're doing with wirebugs it's pretty easy to keep with or often beat dog riders to where they're going. worst place is that long slope on the east side of the volcano map, haven't found any good way to get around running all the way up it.

But a good Wirebug person that is also good with the dog and quick mounting can beat a pure good Wirebug person.

I have dog bound to an easy quick tap combo that I can hit the second I land on a good dog area on the way to the next Wirebug needed area. Plus you can yoshi the dog for a good height boost climbs.just sprint at the wall, make dog jump about 5 feet away, and if he can't clear it, jump off into auto wall mode. Wirebug when needed.

Something people might not know. The dog can get up onto two story surfaces if you do the jump far enough out so you hit the wall at max height.

I do agree that cats bring more utilities to the fights though. I found myself leaning on my cats assistance too much for healing and it was making me sloppy.

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Apr 12, 2021

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Shine posted:

Yup make your life easier on this, get all the items you want out of storage, then back out of that interface and go into your own box via the Start menu interface. You can swap item positions easily that way, and then go back to the item box to save the loadout, which will also save the positions.

Oh nice, that's a great idea. I was doing this annoying dance until now.

Especially since belt order is now directly the item pouch order...

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Kilazar posted:

But a good Wirebug person that is also good with the dog and quick mounting can beat a pure good Wirebug person.

I have dog bound to an easy quick tap combo that I can hit the second I land on a good dog area on the way to the next Wirebug needed area.

I do agree that cats bring more utilities to the fights though. I found myself leaning on my cats assistance too much for healing and it was making me sloppy.

Get a cat with traps though, randomly trapping is always useful.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

pixaal posted:

Get a cat with traps though, randomly trapping is always useful.

I don't deny the cats usefulness! I just prefer the dog traversal and mobility better.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Kilazar posted:

I don't deny the cats usefulness! I just prefer the dog traversal and mobility better.

But you don't need mobility if you beat the monster down and they never leave the first zone, the cat helps you keep them there.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Is there a way to set the gyroscope to tilt instead of twist for left right aiming.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

The Postman posted:

I've also found people doing 7-star rampages tend to be there for the same reason and things are pretty efficient. I've run into a lot of sketchy final boss hunts where people are encountering it for the first time and get carted once or twice.

I think Japanese players have found a strategy that involves stoking the furnace a bunch of times to obliterate the final wave. I've had a few runs where two guys stop fighting and shovel coal like a child laborer in Victorian England, and then erase the boss with the nuke in seconds.

I dunno if that's all there is to the strategy but it seems like it works well.

Either way, 7* rampage mode is very easy and you can grind through it while watching TV.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

Grabbed my first WEX 2 talisman over the weekend and it's this guy :woop: Definitely nice versatility, but looking at 3 slot decos feel like I'll just end up throwing a 2 slot in there.

1:4000 chance (possibly higher since you got the best possible 3/1/1 deco slots too), lucky!

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Depends on the weapon type. Slow, big hit weapons like GS or Hammer ate easier to play with big raw damage.

Fast, multi hit weapons like DB or SnS do very well with elemental damage (ice, water, fire, thunder, dragon) - but they also do very well with pure raw. Typically, weapons with high elemental will have lower raw or affinity to compensate.

Status weapons like poison, blast are also very viable but they too usually give up some raw damage to compensate. Unlike elemental, these work by building up the status to a threshold at which it procs and takes effect. The threshold increases after each proc, so these have diminishing returns over the hunt. Again, these usually do better with fast weapons that can get in a lot of hits quickly. But viable in other weapons too.

Suggest you pick some good raw damage weapons to start with since you can ignore the monster's weaknesses with those. Branch out later.

For raw, you're looking at the damage value, the affinity value and the sharpness. Crits give you 25% extra damage, so affinity * .25 * raw tells you how much raw affinity adds.

Sharpness is a multiplier on your raw damage.
Yellow: 1.0
Green: 1.05 (5%)
Blue: 1.2
White: 1.32

If you like a particular weapon, ask here for suggestions on good post game picks of that type.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 12, 2021

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Boba Pearl posted:

Is there a way to set the gyroscope to tilt instead of twist for left right aiming.

Not that I’m aware of. It’s because of this that I stopped playing Bow the moment I stepped away from my dock. It’s super disappointing.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

This World CB guide has a ton of cool info: https://mhwbuilds.net/charge-blade-guide/

Including a clear description of how Guard actually works under the hood, useful for all shield weapons: https://mhwbuilds.net/charge-blade-guide/#section2-2

quote:

Read this for how the game actually calculates knockback received. Every monster attack has an associated damage value and knockback value. The knockback value is a whole number, with most knockback values falling between 10 and 100. This knockback value interacts with the “guard thresholds” of the weapon used to block the attack. The Guard Thresholds for Charge Blade are 14 and 39. This means any attack with knockback value of 14 or less is small knockback when blocked using Charge Blade, anything from 15 to 39 is medium knockback, and anything 40 or higher is large knockback.
Guard Threshold modifiers for Charge Blade
Charged shield: +10
Guard point: +10
Guard skill: +10/10/20/20/30 for level 1/2/3/4/5
So if I had charged shield, was guard pointing, and had Guard 3, the thresholds would be 54 and 79 (14+40 and 39+40). So anything up to 54 would be small knockback, 55 to 79 would be medium knockback, and 80+ would be large knockback. So it mostly true that charged shield and guard point are equal to 2 levels of Guard, the only difference is Guard has a secondary effect of also reducing stamina cost of blocking.

The above information is in the General Data Sheet in the appendix. Kiranico has information for monsters’ attack knockback values ([A.3]).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Man Ibushi was just made for IG. I can see how this fight would be a pain with any other melee weapon but with IG it felt amazing. I don't think i ever got so much airtime.