Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Magna Kaser posted:

do low rank for marrow. cap drop rate is very low, so make sure you carve. carve chance is the same (cut the tail if you can) for HR and LR, but it has a chance to show up as a reward in LR, where on HR it does not. i did about a billion HR nargacuga just needing 1 marrow before I realized this and got multiple from my first LR try.

medulla has basically the same drop table on HR as marrow does on LR, and only drops in HR, so you gotta keep going for that. again cut tail if you can and carve dont cap since it has over double the carve drop rate compared to capping.

:doh: Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I made the Origami Switchaxe because I had a bunch of the materials lying around to max it and I can't figure out what the rampage skill has that seems to be unique - "Coating Switch Boost?" Does it somehow make morph attacks better? I'm using Rapid Morph 3 with it and it completely changes the playstyle of the weapon, I was playing it like I did in World but actually mashing Morph all the time is cool and good now so buffing those is also good

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
What’re some good trade routes for my buddies? Currently I’m doing scatterfish and honey.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Wildtortilla posted:

What’re some good trade routes for my buddies? Currently I’m doing scatterfish and honey.

If you're gonna use ranged weapons at any point it's very useful to send them to scout out ammo trees so you can craft mid-fight. I'm doing LBG with stickies and you basically have to craft mid-fight they have so little ammo. You can buy most ammo but you can't buy the crafting stuff to replenish mid-fight.

I also do Honey and actually I bring some honey to the fight and turn my potions into more mega potions, endgame the normal potions feel a bit useless

I haven't been crafting a lot of demon powders or whatever I feel like I'm still learning what to use

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Wildtortilla posted:

drugs and materials to make drugs

seeds, powders, drugs. take em all and hulk out

also cant ever have enough honey so you got that down

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Do we have any kind of numbers on Rampage Skills that say they do increased damage against dragons, aerial species, etc.?

Also, I guess what is an 'aerial' species? A Khezu can fly, but usually doesn't, whereas like Ibushi really only flies.

Saint Freak fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Apr 13, 2021

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Oh yeah, do one of you have a hunter connect called GOON SQUAD? Do you just get invited to these things from likes? I have like 10 pages of these things. If I accept them does it just try to match me up with people in those connects?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

You can use hunter connect to find lobbies but otherwise it’s just an endless spam of crap because you can set it to auto-invite and it just propagates from there. Thankfully you can only have 10 active connects but yeah.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Reiley posted:

Sorry I missed this, under options/gyroscope there's an option below Horizontal Sensitivity - Handheld Mode called (R) Up/Down Controls, this lets you use the stick to move the camera up and down on the Y axis while gyro aiming. I might have crossed wires for what was being asked but it lets you do big movement on the stick and small adjustments by tilting the controller to make aiming a lot more fluid than having to tilt the controller up and down exclusively in gyro mode for Y-axis control.

Ah ok, that is not what we are looking for. We want to be able to tilt the controller for left and right movements instead of turn it. More like BOTW aiming.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I think I finally have a clip worth sharing. I didn't intend to use wyvern fire, thankfully it worked out and enabled what's probably my ballsiest play ever.

https://twitter.com/wildtortilla/status/1381949160950099971?s=20

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Can you switch ZR and R but just for gunner weapons? It seems like the options in the control scheme swaps both blademaster and gunner controls.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
It feels so bad when you're the one dragging down the group in multi. I need to create a very apologetic cat sticker.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Star posted:

It feels so bad when you're the one dragging down the group in multi. I need to create a very apologetic cat sticker.

Feels super bad when you do it your first hunt of the night too you run in all ready going I kicked so much rear end last night and immediately cart after making a cool entry from the sky.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Star posted:

It happens! The hunt is still a success if you finish it! I'm really surprised how well random hunts adapt to people getting carted.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

i consider my own solo hunts a failure if it takes longer than 15 minutes

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The game should add the Sonic drowning music when you get to 1 cart left.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
We speak a lot about the wrath of the rng gods in this game, but I genuinely believe they show their favor and mercy on players who stick with hunts with 2 carts in the first 5 minutes - especially if other people start dropping out

Every time this happens I come out with multiple plates/gems

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Deified Data posted:

We speak a lot about the wrath of the rng gods in this game, but I genuinely believe they show their favor and mercy on players who stick with hunts with 2 carts in the first 5 minutes - especially if other people start dropping out

Every time this happens I come out with multiple plates/gems

Just had a HR Magnamalo hunt with two carts from a single attack at the very beginning. All 4 of us saw it through and I finally got the drat gem I needed.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Honestly I'm terrible at this game until we're 2 carts in and we need a capture, then and only then can I actually play like someone who's put 1000+ hours into this series. I wish I could channel that on solo hunts

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Poniard posted:

i consider my own solo hunts a failure if it takes longer than 15 minutes

I really like this about the series, success/failure is on a spectrum and it makes failing less punishing. Like if I take most of the timer to kill a monster it usually means I was getting knocked around a bunch, couldn't get a read on it and wasn't attacking it well, and I feel like I lost but I still get materials as rewards.

Triple carting still sucks but I progress so slowly and carefully (I have like five full sets of LR armor that I absolutely don't need) that I'm usually safe enough that I don't triple cart that often. (I've only carted twice in this game, once to magnomalo and once to zinogre. But like I said I've mostly just been puttering through LR and still early in the hub)

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
How do you knock monsters out of enrages? Is it as simple as beating the hell out of them? Does each month have a trick?

Enrages haven't been too bad to deal with until Zinogre. He turns into a real dick and I haven't found a reliable way to knock him out if it besides throwing a flash bomb when he starts to gather energy.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Enrage just goes away over time, but Zinorge is a special case where if you hit him enough you can knock him out of his supercharged state.

Sleep also stops any monster from being enraged

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I think Zinogre also enrages a lot faster as his health gets lower.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Funny you should mention sleep. I still don't know what put him to sleep. None of my or my palicos have sleep attacks, nor do they have sleep skills.

https://mobile.twitter.com/wildtortilla/status/1381980958211985408

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Looks like your palico has the Endemic Life Barrage skill. That's what the sleep cloud is from. It'll fire a random status toad at monsters.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Yeah, your cat has barrage, which pulls out a ballista and shoots a random endemic life at it. Happened to be a sleep toad. You can see it in the corner here

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Ahahahahha! Good job Tails!

He's much more active in game than IRL.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

How did you post this? I can send videos to my iPhone from my Switch, but I haven't found how to add them to posts via the Awful app. They are so much nicer quality than Twitter posts.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Wildtortilla posted:

How did you post this? I can send videos to my iPhone from my Switch, but I haven't found how to add them to posts via the Awful app. They are so much nicer quality than Twitter posts.

You can upload videos to imgur from your phone (as they appear to have done)

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
https://youtu.be/3gC9WK32U8s

Sometimes I wonder what it'd be like to be good at this game

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Centzon Totochtin posted:

https://youtu.be/3gC9WK32U8s

Sometimes I wonder what it'd be like to be good at this game

lol they made lance even more mobile? good god

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Lance owns.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Guess I figured out which weapon I’m farming for tonight!

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Question about Affinity: are there builds or specific skills that synergize with crits? If I'm doing the math right (e.g. 20% affinity on an 80 raw weapon = about +4 damage on average) it just... Doesn't seem like it adds a lot, considering affinity weapons tend to have lower raw. I know you can boost it a bunch with skills but is there a payoff to those crits? I only see Critical Boost (+crit damage) and Critical Element (+element damage on crit), is there anything else?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Tender Bender posted:

Question about Affinity: are there builds or specific skills that synergize with crits? If I'm doing the math right (e.g. 20% affinity on an 80 raw weapon = about +4 damage on average) it just... Doesn't seem like it adds a lot, considering affinity weapons tend to have lower raw. I know you can boost it a bunch with skills but is there a payoff to those crits? I only see Critical Boost (+crit damage) and Critical Element (+element damage on crit), is there anything else?

Weakness exploit gives you bonus affinity for hitting weak points. I would also assume crit stuff all benefits from anything that's raising your attack power as well.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Tender Bender posted:

Affinity is a multiplier after all your damage is calculated. This includes not only base raw, but attack boosts from gear and buffs, weapon sharpness, motion value, etc.

ankle
Oct 30, 2010

Anyone know if Bubble Dance stacks with Evade Window/Evade up? Got a level 3 Bubble Dance charm and it seems fun to use but I don't know exactly how useful it is

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

Weakness exploit gives you bonus affinity for hitting weak points. I would also assume crit stuff all benefits from anything that's raising your attack power as well.

mightygerm posted:

Affinity is a multiplier after all your damage is calculated. This includes not only base raw, but attack boosts from gear and buffs, weapon sharpness, motion value, etc.

Ah, I see. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
You can add so much affinity through skills that if you want to do raw damage you probably always want to take the weapon with the most raw. Even if it's got 0 or even negative affinity, it'll be positive after wex/crit/rampups while having a significantly better raw multiplier.

Barring edge cases like needing a weapon with a specific deco slot, big differences in sharpness modifiers between two weapons, etc.