Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

I wanna play WiTP but I can't get it on Steam or the Matrix store. Is there a modern grog pacific theater equivalent? Is it War on the Sea?

Should be on Matrix.

https://www.matrixgames.com/game/war-in-the-pacific-admirals-edition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Thank you! On the store I was looking up just the regular version which they don't let you buy, but they let you buy the admiral's edition!

Now I have DC:B for the Eastern Front, WitP for the Pacific theater, and I think I'll eventually pick up Hearts of Iron IV to focus on the Western Front.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Kvlt! posted:

Now I have DC:B for the Eastern Front, WitP for the Pacific theater, and I think I'll eventually pick up Hearts of Iron IV to focus on the Western Front.

One of these things is not like the other, one of these things is just not the same :toot:

(I still really like HOI4 though.)

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Drone posted:

One of these things is not like the other, one of these things is just not the same :toot:

I get it though, WiTW just doesn’t do it for me at all.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

pointsofdata posted:

Really enjoying wite2 now I just entirely ignore the air phase and let the AI do everything - I lost a lot of planes turn 1 but nothing happens anymore, except for the occasional sortie to intercept German transports.

The AI is pretty good. It'll work hard to escape incomplete encirclements or break out of weak complete ones. It makes occasional counter attacks where my line is weak but I haven't noticed any large scale actions yet, possibly because it's the Stalingrad to Berlin campaign and there isn't much for the AI to do. It does do a rapid full-scale retreat from the Caucuses and a more measured one from Operation Mars. Only iffy thing so far is that it messed up its lines near Leningrad and let me reopen a land bridge without much attacking.

Yeah, the AI runs away pretty intelligently, and sticking depots and air on AI is a good chunk of the busywork gone.

Anyone watching my LP on my channel will see the AI pulled back big in the last turn, rather than let me overrun a good chunk of men - and it wasn't even that obvious a pocket forming.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Drone posted:

Yeah I know HoI isn't a grog game but I have a lot of grog games to keep me busy for now and really like Crusader Kings so I figured I'd give another Paradox game a shot. I'll probably hold off on buying it though since I just bought War in the Pacific and that'll keep me busy for quite some time.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
HoI is a great coop game in a way that many other games just don't offer right now. Conquering the world with a buddy is good times.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
The thing HoI really offers is the pre-war gameplay. I've played it countless times to see what might happen if France had taken different actions in the pre-war years. The AI's a bit of a letdown though, especially when it comes to tanks.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Does it ever go on sale?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Paradox games go on sale reasonably often, yeah.

There's a Stellaris expansion coming out in two days and usually when an expansion for one of the flagship games drops, they'll do a Paradox Weekend or whatever on the Steam store. Otherwise there is guaranteed to be a sale on their games mid-May when they do their online PDXCon event.

Also pretty sure the base game for HOI4 is on Game Pass.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Instead of HoI4 for the western front play a real grog game like Unity of Command 2

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Sounds like Ill wait and catch it on sale while I dive into WitP

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Kvlt! posted:

Sounds like Ill wait and catch it on sale while I dive into WitP

WitP is probably my favorite game of all time. Two grand campaigns and an untold number of scenarios under my belt and I'm still learning new stuff every time. Feel free to ask questions as you dive into it. Start with Coral Sea to get the basics of the UI, then dive into one of the larger scenarios like Guadalcanal.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

The first DC game has Fall Gelb and is kickin' rad

nipperi
Nov 1, 2011
What were the go-to map mods for WiTP again? Also, how to get rid of the horrible UI lag on Win10?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
You want to add the flowing command line switches for win10: -dd_sw -deepcolor -altfont.

-skipvideo is another good one, and of course -w -px* -py*

Chemkid is my go to map mod but there are others. I think chemkid for unknown reasons scrubbed all his work off the matrix forums, so let me know if you want me to host it somewhere.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Pharnakes posted:

You want to add the flowing command line switches for win10: -dd_sw -deepcolor -altfont.

Chemkid is my go to map mod but there are others. I think chemkid for unknown reasons scrubbed all his work off the matrix forums, so let me know if you want me to host it somewhere.

As someone who has literally never written a line of code and knows nothing about how to do that first step, could I get an idiot guide to fixing the windows 10 lag please

Kvlt! fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 13, 2021

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Pharnakes posted:

Looks like he reposted them on Armchair Dragoons - https://www.armchairdragoons.com/forum/index.php?topic=2406.0

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
As far as I know you can't, I save, exit to menu and reload after every turn and that stops most of the lag.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell

Pharnakes posted:

In addition to those, -singleCpuOrders made a huge difference for me

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Kvlt! posted:

As someone who has literally never written a line of code and knows nothing about how to do that first step, could I get an idiot guide to fixing the windows 10 lag please

If no one has chimed in by tonight, I'll help you out after I get home.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Thank you so much!

nipperi
Nov 1, 2011
Thank you all! I’m geeking out on PTO after reading Shattered Sword and listening to Dan Carlin’s Supernova in the East -series, and since War On the Sea seems disappointing I have no choice but to try and get into WitPAE once again. Maybe this time...

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

The annoying thing about War On the Sea is it's exactly what you said - disappointing. It's so drat close to being great.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

nipperi posted:

Thank you all! I’m geeking out on PTO after reading Shattered Sword and listening to Dan Carlin’s Supernova in the East -series, and since War On the Sea seems disappointing I have no choice but to try and get into WitPAE once again. Maybe this time...

Thanks for the Shattered Sword rec, I have a long flight coming up and just ordered a copy. Between that and playing WitP im gonna be in armchair general bliss for 8 hours.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

That book's a real treat

nipperi
Nov 1, 2011
Any other book recommendations on PTO?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
For naval stuff, Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors is excellent and highly recommended by basically everyone.

Tiger Crazy
Sep 25, 2006

If you couldn't find any weirdness, maybe we'll just have to make some!
Yeah, anything by James Hornfischer. He did Neptune's Inferno, Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors and the book about the USS Houston. Neptune's inferno is a great read.

If anyone else has other suggestions I would like to hear about them as well.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

nipperi posted:

Any other book recommendations on PTO?

I absolutely loved "Morning Star, Midnight Sun" and "Blazing Star, Setting Sun" by Jeffrey Cox. They are to the Guadalcanal campaign as Shattered Sword is to Midway. In-depth, lively, and deeply critical of the Mk14 torpedo. Just as all PacWar histories should be.

Kvlt! posted:

Thank you so much!

Okay, here is a fairly concise guide to installing WitP:AE from scratch and using a small 3rd party utility to configure the shortcuts. Check it out and feel free to hit me up with questions. Happy to help. cdouglasn (at) gmail. Note that it may take some tweaking to find the right parameters for your shortcut using the SeaBees applet. If you find that your game is still doing something weird, delete the WitP shortcut on your desktop, experiment with some of the options in SeaBees, and build a new shortcut.

Like I said, hit me up with questions.

Consolidated WitP Installation Guide
v1.0
4/13/21

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dl--VOcP8GYMUOXRgyk3KMSZ5vTFThMG/view?usp=sharing

If anyone has suggestions for corrections or updates, let me know and I can edit and re-share.

Chuck_D fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 14, 2021

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Gewehr 43 posted:

...the SeaBees applet...

:aaaaa:

This is awesome.

Also, I am singularly unable to read the phrase “Job’s Done” in any voice except the peasant from Warcraft 2.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

MrYenko posted:

:aaaaa:

This is awesome.

Truth. I learned about it in this thread a year or so ago. So much better than manually dinking with shortcuts.

MrYenko posted:

Also, I am singularly unable to read the phrase “Job’s Done” in any voice except the peasant from Warcraft 2.

Also truth.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Gewehr 43 posted:

I absolutely loved "Morning Star, Midnight Sun" and "Blazing Star, Setting Sun" by Jeffrey Cox. They are to the Guadalcanal campaign as Shattered Sword is to Midway. In-depth, lively, and deeply critical of the Mk14 torpedo. Just as all PacWar histories should be.

Okay, here is a fairly concise guide to installing WitP:AE from scratch and using a small 3rd party utility to configure the shortcuts. Check it out and feel free to hit me up with questions. Happy to help. cdouglasn (at) gmail. Note that it may take some tweaking to find the right parameters for your shortcut using the SeaBees applet. If you find that your game is still doing something weird, delete the WitP shortcut on your desktop, experiment with some of the options in SeaBees, and build a new shortcut.

Like I said, hit me up with questions.

Consolidated WitP Installation Guide
v1.0
4/13/21

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dl--VOcP8GYMUOXRgyk3KMSZ5vTFThMG/view?usp=sharing

If anyone has suggestions for corrections or updates, let me know and I can edit and re-share.

Just wanted to say thank you so much for writing this up, I really appreciate it! I'll def hyu with questions I have about WiTP in general tbh its a little daunting for me but im beyond excited to dive in after watching GreyHunters LP on youtube

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
You're welcome! :) WitP can definitely be daunting at first, but stick with it. It's really rewarding.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
I highly recommend checking out Pharnakes WiTP head to head screenshot LP for a master class in a bunch of the little underlying systems in WiTP that I'd never quite understood.

It's a great game so far and a real pleasure to see someone playing that obviously understands so much of this complicated game.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3952093&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Edit -

Just refunded war on the sea, will try again next year I guess

Abongination fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Apr 14, 2021

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
So WiTP definitely has problems. These include the terrible ground combat system, the bad surface combat model, and the brokenness of late war massive air battles; however, it is probably, in my opinion, the best war games I have ever played on a PC.

This is why I want a WiTP2 very badly, but 2x3 has said pretty firmly this will never happen.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Why is WitP such a beloved wargame? Everyone say it's a whole lot of jank, so what's overcoming that?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Hypnobeard posted:

Why is WitP such a beloved wargame? Everyone say it's a whole lot of jank, so what's overcoming that?

Its a rather unique way of playing an entire theatre, while being thoroughly engaging due to the need for the player(s) to manage every aspect of the war effect.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Hats off to Alikchi on the North Pacific Shootout. His Intruders knocked out one of my guided missile frigates which gave him an edge in points. The supply ship that ate a Kitchen eventually sunk, but it was not the CG.

We'll be doing the Shamal co-op scenario next. He's doing USN, I'll be taking USAF. Now that I've got a few of these under my belt I'll do thread updates on it. F-111's, F-15's, F-14's, even some RF-4's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

I think DC:B as the Krauts comes closest to a "complete" command experience, as poo poo like balancing truck nazi and train nazi personalities seems most authentic to the actual realities of existing within a command structure

I also had fun with radio commander for the same whiff of authenticity aspect

BrotherJayne fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Apr 14, 2021