Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Data Graham posted:

In America 100 years is a long time, in Europe 10 ingredients is a large cuisine

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
vincenzo's kitchen is a good example of a channel that critiques foreigners making italian food from the italian perspective and does a good job of explaining his reasoning. he doesnt flip his poo poo too often, (i think he got most upset when gordan ramsay put olive oil into pasta water because it's literally pouring olive oil down the drain) explains that there are certain ways of doing things in order to make certain dishes, and if you deviate too far from those things then you're making a different dish

(timestamped for a bit where he talks about respecting culinary traditions)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvGOokBGx9c&t=360s

baw has a new favorite as of 17:24 on Apr 13, 2021

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
:getin:

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/1381940239200043009?s=20

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Data Graham posted:

All I could think was, every cultural cuisine has to be appropriated in order to be perfected, apparently
Like the French guy we met while staying at a temple guesthouse in Kyoto who swore up and down that there are no good croissants anywhere in France anymore, only in Japan.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Data Graham posted:

All I could think was, every cultural cuisine has to be appropriated in order to be perfected, apparently

I can get behind this, because the best foods are either the product of a lot of information and styles and ingredients mixing together and people figure out what works best out of all of them, or they're the result of being left alone and isolated with nothing but some garbage that everybody else overlooked to refine and survive on. Preferably you want both to happen.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i could spend all day looking at photos of the fuckin weaponized pastries that the cultural collision of France and Japan produced. they're almost too beautiful to eat.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Lmao I just bought a 4-pack of this because I thought the blood orange flavor sounded good

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
AFP thread: America vs. Europe: Intercontinental food slap fight

(don't ever change the thread title, nothing can ever top mercury tastes like mercury)

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

That L with a line through it "ł" trips up everyone not in Poland. My mom's family called it gwumpki and that's what we ate.

Also, gołąbki means "little pigeon" in Polish, much like how "burrito" is little donkey in Spanish.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Lmao I just bought a 4-pack of this because I thought the blood orange flavor sounded good

It fuckin' does sound good, tho. Thoughts?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Bud Light and Truly have 8% ABV seltzer, and they are a very efficient way to get drunk I tell you hwat.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

ggg

You know what I'm referring to.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

wish i didn't

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

CannonFodder posted:

That L with a line through it "ł" trips up everyone not in Poland.
Like the city of Łódź is pronounced WOODGE. :allears:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CannonFodder posted:

That L with a line through it "ł" trips up everyone not in Poland.

The Polish letters never tripped me up, but it was always the endings of words that killed me, I could never grasp the whole quantities and gender things.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I could never get past Brzęczyszczykiewicz :(

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

My mom's maiden name is almost that bad, it took me years of filling out forms as an adult to memorize it and not have to call my mom from the DMV or whatever.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't even know how to begin to pronounce polish, it might as well be moon language. I think it's made worse by being close enough to the latin alphabet that you just want to say brzywcyykzsyszc rather than like, arabic or japanese where you can't even parse the characters. It looks like it's telling you to make impossible sounds.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Is that L-with-a-line-through-it just pronounced L then? I’ve been buying a brand of Polish mineral water from Costco for years now and have no idea how to pronounce it, and neither did the multiple people who asked me how to pronounce it when we were grabbing it off the shelf at the same time. It’s spelled nałęczowianka, I’ve been pronouncing it to myself as nah-dezh-ovanka. I’m sure that’s absolutely incorrect, which is why I just call it “my fancy Polish water from Costco” and never say it out loud in public.

Bibliotechno Music has a new favorite as of 22:39 on Apr 13, 2021

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Bibliotechno Music posted:

Is that L-with-a-line-through-it just pronounced L then? I’ve been buying a brand of polish mineral water from Costco for years now and have no idea how to pronounce it, and neither did the multiple people who asked me how to pronounce it when we were grabbing it off the shelf at the same time. It’s spelled nałęczowianka, I’ve been pronouncing it to myself as nah-dezh-ovanka. I’m sure that’s absolutely incorrect, which is why I just call it “my fancy polish water from Costco” and never say it out loud in public.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38mDgjNAQFo

it's kind of like "now-etch-yovanka"

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Bibliotechno Music posted:

Is that L-with-a-line-through-it just pronounced L then? I’ve been buying a brand of Polish mineral water from Costco for years now and have no idea how to pronounce it, and neither did the multiple people who asked me how to pronounce it when we were grabbing it off the shelf at the same time. It’s spelled nałęczowianka, I’ve been pronouncing it to myself as nah-dezh-ovanka. I’m sure that’s absolutely incorrect, which is why I just call it “my fancy Polish water from Costco” and never say it out loud in public.

It's halfway between a w and a v

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/mOSAlmX.mp4

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Antigravitas posted:

Grzegorz? Do you know where he's from?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Antigravitas posted:

Do they sell localized versions of Scrabble?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

:lol: yes they do

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Got a hankerin' for Benihana-style zucchini with their mustard sauce. Didn't take a picture of the results for the first zucchini, but went back and made it again after making a bit of homemade mustard and letting it rest.

It is not particularly photogenic since I just incorporated the sauce instead of wasting time on dipping

But it is delicious.

And now I'm out of zucchini.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Wasabi the J posted:

It fuckin' does sound good, tho. Thoughts?

It was bad. Like slightly orange flavored straight alcohol

Edit: it does get you hosed up quick if that’s what’s you’re looking for

BAGS FLY AT NOON has a new favorite as of 01:07 on Apr 14, 2021

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

It was bad. Like slightly orange flavored straight alcohol

Edit: it does get you hosed up quick if that’s what’s you’re looking for

Does it have that metallic+chemicals aftertaste orange four loko always had? I've always found orange flavored liquor/other alcohol products to be uniquely gross. Mix orange soda with liquor and it's fine, but the actual flavored stuff from the store is horrible.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 01:37 on Apr 14, 2021

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Does it have that metallic+chemicals aftertaste orange four loko always had? I've always found orange flavored liquor to be uniquely gross. Mix orange soda with liquor and it's fine, but the actual flavored stuff from the store is horrible.

Not really. The only sweetener listed on the ingredients is cane sugar so there’s no stevia aftertaste or anything. The orange flavor was fine but it was the straight booze flavor that was off putting.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Does it have that metallic+chemicals aftertaste orange four loko always had? I've always found orange flavored liquor to be uniquely gross. Mix orange soda with liquor and it's fine, but the actual flavored stuff from the store is horrible.

That's why you make Brass Monkey yourself.

4 Loko is uniquely disgusting, they have a 12%ABV seltzer, and it's one of the most revolting tasting things I've ever put in my body.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Elviscat posted:

That's why you make Brass Monkey yourself.

4 Loko is uniquely disgusting, they have a 12%ABV seltzer, and it's one of the most revolting tasting things I've ever put in my body.

I was buying a couple cases of that per week for a month because Jungle Jim's had it discounted down to $5. It was fun being a scumbag, and yeah, it was some gross poo poo, but it got you drunk.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Z is worth one point.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

rodbeard posted:

No one is putting yeast in bread without adding some sort of sweetener for the yeast to eat. That's what makes dough rise. The sweetness comes from there being more sweetener for a recipe than what gets consumed by the yeast during the rise.

Alhazred posted:

I have never put a sweetener in my dough when I've baked bread. And yet the dough rises.

I WASNT GONNA SAY NOTHIN BUT NOW YOU DONE CALLED ME OUT

99% of the time i make bread, the recipe is flour, water, yeast, salt

i warm my water to around human body temp, but then immediately add everything and do not allow time for the yeast to "proof" or "bloom"

IT RISES AND I GET AMAZING TUNNELS OF AIRY HOLES (SOME OF THEM HUGE!!!) WITHIN THE SOFT MOIST INTERIOR

I don't even knead the dough

explain that, bread athetits

On the topic of presliced sandwich bread, the only one in the house that eats much of it is WITCHCRAFT Jr. I get the 100% whole wheat stuff because he never complains about it in any sandwich or toast or grilled cheese configuration, so it is a stealthy way to get some extra fiber into his diet. Which he needs, because he is on the spectrum and will convulse and scream if you try to make him eat certain vegetables that are a good source of fiber. Between the whole wheat and fiber/prebiotic/probiotic gummies he has pretty normal poops.

haha you just read a small paragraph about a child's bowel movements you're on a watchlist now

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
kneading the dough is to equalize the size of bubbles in the crumb and incorporate water into gluten...

if its unkneaded and lower gluten, the bubbles will never form or pop, but if its unkneaded and higher gluten, they form way big

its no knead bread (boules), not no knead brioche

bob dobbs is dead has a new favorite as of 06:08 on Apr 14, 2021

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

bob dobbs is dead posted:

kneading the dough is to equalize the size of bubbles in the crumb and incorporate water into gluten...

if its unkneaded and lower gluten, the bubbles will never form or pop, but if its unkneaded and higher gluten, they form way big

its no knead bread (boules), not no knead brioche

this is all true

the original post was about adding sugar to dough, and i got to hoot and holler about how they were wrong

then i overreached with my hootin and hollerin and you have humbled me

we are both stout warriors in the school of mushing up plant sand and water to make a good food, and i accept my defeat at your hand

:haibrower:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

WITCHCRAFT posted:

I WASNT GONNA SAY NOTHIN BUT NOW YOU DONE CALLED ME OUT

99% of the time i make bread, the recipe is flour, water, yeast, salt

i warm my water to around human body temp, but then immediately add everything and do not allow time for the yeast to "proof" or "bloom"

IT RISES AND I GET AMAZING TUNNELS OF AIRY HOLES (SOME OF THEM HUGE!!!) WITHIN THE SOFT MOIST INTERIOR

I don't even knead the dough

explain that, bread athetits

On the topic of presliced sandwich bread, the only one in the house that eats much of it is WITCHCRAFT Jr. I get the 100% whole wheat stuff because he never complains about it in any sandwich or toast or grilled cheese configuration, so it is a stealthy way to get some extra fiber into his diet. Which he needs, because he is on the spectrum and will convulse and scream if you try to make him eat certain vegetables that are a good source of fiber. Between the whole wheat and fiber/prebiotic/probiotic gummies he has pretty normal poops.

haha you just read a small paragraph about a child's bowel movements you're on a watchlist now

That was me as a kid, well less convulsions and screaming and more just getting varying degrees of nauseous from eating many vegetables primarily for textural reasons but taste was also often a factor(I'm still of the opinion that canned green beans taste like how formaldehyde smells)

Hopefully like me your kid will gradually grow out of it for the most part as they get older(hopefully a bit faster than me though)

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Swedes will understand why this is a terrible post by the orange juice company. This combination is about as bad as orange juice and toothpaste.

axolotl farmer has a new favorite as of 09:23 on Apr 14, 2021

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I don't think you need to be Swedish to understand that tubed fish paste and OJ are going to taste grim together

probably grim without the OJ too

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Between this and surströmming can we just take away Sweden's fish privileges? Meatballs only from now on out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Kaviar is great on a sandwich, goes with eggs, but my favorite kaviar sandwich is crisp bread, butter, sliced potatoes, kaviar and chives.