Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

In general always try to keep your stamina above 50%. If you have a choke point it can be worth just passing turns and waiting to catch your breath even with zeds trying to bite you.

And if you don't have a choke point, stamina 50% is a great time to take your hands off the keyboard and think about whether you can take the last 2-3 generic zombies or whether you should start running away.

E: I have lost so many characters in both this game and Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup because I was running away and that means I should press the keys faster right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

It's true double-fold in CDDA, because simply having low stamina debuffs your speed. So the lower half of your stamina bar is worth dramatically less than the upper half, both in terms of distance covered and how fast you cover it.

See also: pain, disease, injuries, infections, being wet, being hot, being cold, being unhappy, being hungry or thirsty or tired, being overburdened, etc. etc. etc. because every loving thing under the sun debuffs your speed in CDDA. Until you're a giant badass, fight at perfect condition or don't fight at all.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Reaching red stamina will also make enemies that had previously been nearly-harmless start devouring you alive. Which is why I advocated that even if you intend to keep fighting you should stand still for a minute or two then resume.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Mr. Lobe posted:

No, it has no effect on stamina regen. It is for smoke inhalation treatment.
Dang it

I was mostly asking for those situations where you get surprised by a blob of basic zombos that you have to kill. I mean it's rather easy to be neigh invincible to their damage but once your stamina tanks they get a ton of extra rounds and rip up all your gear and once you get winded things are even more sucky. Would have been nice if there were any items that let you regain one or two bars of stamina in those situations

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Respirator CBM really is the only countermeasure when it comes to making up for poorly spent stamina. Really, it's best just to be very cautious and risk averse, and never get into a situation where you don't have at least 1 clear exit towards difficult terrain, i.e. forests and furniture. Even without parkour expert you can navigate those obstacles better than them and make some distance.

Alternatively, keep a path clear to an escape vehicle. A bike counts.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

To quote another game, overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

I guess part of my issue is that I use medival swordfighting and the counter attack procs sap my stamina more than I would like and sometimes lead to weird sequences where a bunch of rounds pass by without me being able to have input. Might be time to pick another melee style on char gen

Also never walk into stripclubs in this game holy poo poo

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Pulled up in my newly improved vehicle and unloaded a bunch of rounds from a mounted SAW into the three scrappy bandits lurking in a barn on my way. Was puzzled to find out that they each can easily tank like 6 shots of 5.56 in plain clothes :raise:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Human enemies are super durable compared to zeds.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

The Lone Badger posted:

Human enemies are super durable compared to zeds.

Weird how all the "this doesn't make any sense mechanically but we have to implement it right now because it's realistic" arguments only apply to things which make the player experience worse

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Ah, the Elite Dangerous school of game design.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Hitting enemies with a car is pretty foolproof though. Except for Dermatiks. Somehow.

reignofevil fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Apr 12, 2021

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Maybe the devs are justsmug blowhardsNietzschean supermen

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

reignofevil posted:

Hitting enemies with a car is pretty foolproof though. Except for Dermatiks. Somehow.
Always love the moments where I push a little duck square by square with my several ton murder-mobile and it doesn't do much because I don't hit the pedal to the floor. Just like in real life!!

Also sry to any ducks I eventually murdered out of frustration but wth you only had to step slightly to the side to avoid this

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Tin Tim posted:

I guess part of my issue is that I use medival swordfighting and the counter attack procs sap my stamina more than I would like and sometimes lead to weird sequences where a bunch of rounds pass by without me being able to have input. Might be time to pick another melee style on char gen

Also never walk into stripclubs in this game holy poo poo

Fencing with a broadsword is incredibly lethal if you want to be more offensive against the big bads. Sojutsu with a spear otoh is very good at letting you kite practically forever which will keep you from using stamina on blocking/dodging.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I switched over to an arming sword (assuming I don’t find a real broadsword first but that’s never happened for me). The arming sword has slightly less DPS but it hits harder which I assume means it does more damage to damage resistant enemies, the ones who you’re actually worried about. Either one utterly blenderizes basic/low level zombies.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I always end up disappointed with melee in general because late game zombies are about 90% kevlar hulks and skeletal juggernauts. They can be handled of course, but not without some specialization.

Speaking of which, I wish they'd make a few more tiers of enemies and a much bigger variety.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Melee with monoblade and bionic combative melts through hordes and cuts up hulks and skeleton jugs to ribbons

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Yeah, but that does require those two cbms

Also a regular old iron shod quarterstaff with hydraulic muscles, muscle augmentation, and strength-based mutations can gib them

And after all that it's still easier to pull out a modified browning and shoot them in the face a couple times

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Yeah but there's a theoretical limit to how many browning shells you can shoot but bionic Kung fu is inexhaustible

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Eskria is amazing but unfortunately it doesn't support any heavy weapons, though apparently the kukri got a huge buff in the weapon rework which I never noticed before (it hits about as hard as most high end 1 handed swords while being significantly faster in exchange for being less accurate)

Yeah you don't really need weapon buffs to kill regular zombies and the smart play is to shoot everything with your infinite amount of 5.56 ammo but it's still fun to use martial arts

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

A quantum solar array with a stereo system, horn, and security system going off

Cable charger system, cqb, mono blade, all strength/dex augs

An activated harmonica holder

Hold tab until city is empty

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

RabidWeasel posted:

Weird how all the "this doesn't make any sense mechanically but we have to implement it right now because it's realistic" arguments only apply to things which make the player experience worse

Human enemies/npcs use the player damage model so they are exactly as durable as the player.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Manager Hoyden posted:

I always end up disappointed with melee in general because late game zombies are about 90% kevlar hulks and skeletal juggernauts. They can be handled of course, but not without some specialization.

Speaking of which, I wish they'd make a few more tiers of enemies and a much bigger variety.

Try turning off evolution while increasing spawns and resilience, imo. This way you still see incredibly tough highly evolved creatures in 'hard' locations while also being able to eventually wade through the sea of lower tier zombies.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I always like to turn spawn numbers down and toughness up to make each individual enemy more significant.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
There seems to be a bug with boats where multi-tile boats don't handle the transition between deep and shallow water correctly. If you've got a boat that's straddled between the two, it will ask you if you want to dive into the water when you move from shallow to deep water even while on the boat. Leaving the boat entirely on shallow or deep water appears to be fine. The movement of the boat itself isn't affected - it's just walking around on the boat.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

What happens if you say yes? Do you hit the bottom of the boat with a humorous 'thunk'?

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
You dive into the water like normal. You can then control the boat while swimming in the water underneath it.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

The Lone Badger posted:

What happens if you say yes? Do you hit the bottom of the boat with a humorous 'thunk'?

Spoggerific posted:

You dive into the water like normal. You can then control the boat while swimming in the water underneath it.

suddenly I have Ideas for a game about a low-wisdom wizard. if you have the right spells, you alter reality or yourself to accommodate your actions, and if not, you clonk headfirst into reality instead of being told no or getting a chance to reconsider

may require too high a wisdom and dexterity stat from the player for most though

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I want to get back into this, but it's been so long I don't know what mods are good anymore. IS the latest experimental still a good bet, or is there an actual fork people prefer?

I seem to recall a few mods that were good but not on the launcher, too. Like that one magic mod, is it still around or is it basically just magiclysm these days?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Right now there's only C:DDA and its experimentals and a fork called C:BN (Bright Nights). Both are updated regularly with C:BN being more sci-fi than C:DDA's approach. Try both, imo.

A bunch of old mods and specifically Arcana for magic stuff are dead because of the overhaul-ish changes so Magiclysm is currently the only big one that I know of for magic.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Arcana was what I was thinking of. I don't think it's dead though because it looks like they have a version for Bright Nights, and that's relatively new, isn't it?

https://github.com/chaosvolt/cdda-arcana-mod

Anyways, there's no launcher for bright nights so I'll do CDDA first. I wonder if Aftershock is a thing too, I see the description of it is updated, and I kinda like where that mod was going last time I played.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Arcana was what I was thinking of. I don't think it's dead though because it looks like they have a version for Bright Nights, and that's relatively new, isn't it?

https://github.com/chaosvolt/cdda-arcana-mod

Anyways, there's no launcher for bright nights so I'll do CDDA first. I wonder if Aftershock is a thing too, I see the description of it is updated, and I kinda like where that mod was going last time I played.

Good to see it's still trying to survive. The big thing with CDDA that changed and broke a bunch of stuff are the highly contentious nested containers.
Aftershock works fine and re-adds and introduces a whole bunch of the wacky/sci-fi stuff to the game that it sorely needs.

Here's my current save's mods that is on the latest CDDA experimentals that all work like they should.

There's likely others (and I would suggest not doing Crazy Cataclysm unless you like FunTM) but the list really is quite slim nowadays.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Looks like I can do what I want, anyways, which is to jam the magic mods in with aftershock and play a prison escapee that becomes a cyborg wizard.

How are flying vehicles? are they still locked behind having the pilot background or are there mods to make their building and use more gamey?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Is there a recommended starting build for new players now? I'm betting the one in the op is out of date.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
get atleast 10 strength. it makes you much better at melee fighting (more hp, more damage, better grab resist). it also lets you carry more and smash thru obstacles easier. high strength reduces the amount of recoil you get when firing guns by a decent amount, high strength characters are much deadlier with assault rifles than high perception chars. strength also acts as a resistance stat vs various deceases and ailments

the higher your starting strength the easier the game will be. going below 8 str will make the game much much harder for new players imho.

the drawback that makes you unable to read is a very big drawback, new players should avoid it.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

It's kind of annoying that so much of the New Player Experience information out there is now completely outdated. Another big newbie trap is that at one point, Prison Island was one of if not the best start because it gave you a ton of points and was also very easy, but they have since filled the area surrounding prison island with sharks and it is now close to impossible

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Do they still not guarantee you start with a lockpick cause "life isn't fair, lol"

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
i think the prison starts can be pretty fun. theres a bunch of strategies for escaping depending on what char build you went for. but swimming vs the sharks is very random. i havent figured out a reliable strategy for low strength characters tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Slaapaav posted:

i think the prison starts can be pretty fun. theres a bunch of strategies for escaping depending on what char build you went for. but swimming vs the sharks is very random. i havent figured out a reliable strategy for low strength characters tho

I like the prison because it's a set sequence of obstacles: light -> water -> deal with prison wings -> either guardhouse or brave the security bots